HTPC Remote Manifesto (No real products, just wishful thinking) - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 73 Old 08-21-2011, 11:13 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
^ Did you ever end-up looking and pulse-eight's nyxboard like I suggested?

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 73 Old 08-26-2011, 12:20 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post

^ Did you ever end-up looking and pulse-eight's nyxboard like I suggested?

Cheers

Nope. Unfortunately, a backlight is a major requirement. My current remote has none and it's a PITA having to turn on the lights in the middle of a movie just to find a button. The Nyxboard's mouse is also a d-pad affair, which I've always found to never work as an effective mouse replacement. A trackpad, trackball, or optical pad would be needed. Thanks, though.
post #63 of 73 Old 08-28-2011, 11:01 PM
Advanced Member

^ np!
post #64 of 73 Old 09-20-2011, 12:35 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by candre23 View Post

Have to admit, this one and the Motorola Nyxboard look great. I like the track pad and back light on the one above.

I own a BoxeeBox and it's a terrific device. For just streaming movies and TV from a PC it's the best device I've ever used. The remote works from over 100 feet which is wild. I also love using it to skip tracks while hosting house parties.

Getting a BoxeeBox remote for my HTPC is very tempting but there will always be limitations. My AVR is in a closet at the back of my theater and I'm addicted to bitstreaming so volume control is only possible through the receiver.

None of these remotes can deal with that.
post #65 of 73 Old 05-29-2013, 09:43 AM

Liked: 11
So here we are, over a year later, and still looking for the same thing. It baffles the mind that all the pieces are there to make the perfect HTPC remote, and not 1 company has successfully implemented them. I figured I'd review the ones I've used since this thread began and offer my input.

Lenovo N5902 Keyboard/Mouse combo
If you're ok with having a separate remote for tv viewing and one for keyboard/mouse input, the N5902 is by far the best option I've tested. After having my order cancelled initially, they finally started carrying it and I'm relatively impressed. Lenovo made it a point to address some of the gripes with the original N5901's design, adding a backlight to the keyboard and changing the round trackball to an optical one that can be depressed to left-click (feels like a Blackberry optical trackball). Although the range is just ok (sometimes key presses don't register), the mouse control is much more precise than the ball, trackpad or d-pad options I've used. The touch sensitive scroll area is also pretty handy. My only issue with this remote is that it won't work alone. You'll still want something to control your PC eyes-off, single handedly and that can control certain aspects of your TV (like power or volume). This thing only functions as a mouse/keyboard, but it does it well.

Rii I13 wireless HTPC remote/mouse/keyboard
http://www.amazon.com/Rii-Wireless-Multifunction-Keyboard-Interface/dp/B00BQU9NVK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1369843645&sr=8-1&keywords=rii+htpc
This was a recent purchase. Aside from the frustrating exclusion of a backlight (seriously??), it seemed to check all the right boxes. It includes a gyroscopic mouse (which controls the mouse cursor much like a Wii-mote), a QWERTY keyboard, and a learning (yay) remote on the other side. I purchased a white model to compensate for the lack of a backlight, since I figured it would be easier to see. It also works as a speaker/mic, but don't get too excited. Here are my impressions:
Keyboard - It does the job. You won't be typing a document with it, but it works well enough for entering web addresses and quick searches. That's all you can expect from a device like this, and this aspect of the remote won't disappoint.
Mouse - It has 3 drift/speed settings. Anything above "low" is too erratic to control with any respectable degree of precision, but the lowest setting works fine. I would have preferred the precise control of an optical trackpad, but this thing is usable.
Remote - Here's where it gets a bit disappointing. I was looking forward to the remote's learning functions, but it's cheaply made and has a few operational headaches. The entire remote side of the device needs to be programmed key-by-key, and operates solely on IR. This means you'll need an IR receiver for your PC and will have to spend a few minutes programming each button on the remote's face. I didn't mind programming the buttons (since I could also assign certain ones to control different devices, like volume for my receiver, power for my TV and the rest to my PC). However, the remote is a bit flaky, particularly the directional arrows. Pressing up or down to fast in succession will register as if you pressed the button 20 times, flying through pages in the guide far too quickly. It's also heavily reliant on direct line-of-sight, so pointing it right at the receiver will be necessary. The button layout could be better, but it's workable.
Integrated speaker/microphone - This is perhaps the only truly disappointing feature in this remote. I don't need it, so how craptastic it is will have no effect on my opinion of the remote. However, if you are interested in this feature, look elsewhere. The sound coming out of the remote is not only tiny, but reminiscent of the white noise you hear when a ghost is trying to communicate with you through an electronic device. You won't understand anything coming out of the speaker. As far as the mic, I haven't tested it. The speaker sound quality was enough to get me to overlook the remote's audio features entirely.

The Unicorn - Logitech Harmony 800 QWERTY
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1398964/logitech-harmony-800-qwerty
This remote seems absolutely perfect, if it weren't for the problem that it doesn't seem to exist. It has a slide-out qwerty keyboard, a full learning IR remote, and a touchscreen that can double as a trackpad. It's also backlit (!). The only problem it has is that it was announced over a year ago and has not come to fruition. Instead, Logitech released the useless Harmony Touch remote. I've signed up with several sites that claim to have this on backorder, but none of them actually deliver. If anyone hears of a seller that can deliver this remote, please let me know.
jalyst likes this.
post #66 of 73 Old 08-22-2013, 03:07 PM

Not to necro an old thread...but I'm gonna necro this thread...

Caveat: I've only been searching for my dream remote for about 2 days, so if someone can point me to it...will love you long time.

Where are these devices put forward by the OP? What are manufacturers doing?

All the remotes I see are basically crap. What a HT setup needs is one remote to rule them all, and it's just not out there.

http://pdfs.icecat.biz/pdf/33475765-5018.pdf is the best I have been able to find...and it doesn't exist.

Surely some of these manufacturers understand that:

a) We want buttons, INCLUDING a numpad. Not many people want to look at their remote while they enter commands on a touchscreen
b) we need a keyboard
c) Activity based icons and mouse functionality on a touchscreen are the only "good" uses for a touchscreen
d) RF/IR/Bluetooth are highly desirable in a modern HT remote

I'll pay $300 for that remote.

What I DON"T want is a qwerty touchpad/air mouse remote to add to the collection.

Oh, and HI! First time poster smile.gif
post #67 of 73 Old 08-23-2013, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 282
Welcome. That would certainly be the holy grail for most of us in this forum. But sadly, I do not think such a remote will ever exist because of the tiny market (mostly HTPC users). The best we can do today is a good universal remote for most controls plus a real keyboard/mouse or app for the rest. That combo does everything you need and does it all without the compromises or expense of an all-in-one solution.
post #68 of 73 Old 08-23-2013, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

Welcome. That would certainly be the holy grail for most of us in this forum. But sadly, I do not think such a remote will ever exist because of the tiny market (mostly HTPC users). The best we can do today is a good universal remote for most controls plus a real keyboard/mouse or app for the rest. That combo does everything you need and does it all without the compromises or expense of an all-in-one solution.

My wife would love that remote for the Roku and the Samsung TV in the bedroom to make searching movies easier than virtual keyboards. I think the market is there, but logitech simply doesn't want a large line of remotes anymore.

Looky here!
post #69 of 73 Old 08-23-2013, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 192
are you talking about that samsung wedge shaped qwerty remote??

i bet it works on bluetooth and could be hacked to work with a pc of someone cared.

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #70 of 73 Old 08-24-2013, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

Hi madavej, thanks for the reply, and for the welcome.

I know I'm new, but I think I'll have to respectfully disagree with you here. A simple google of "HTPC remote" in Google images will show just what a plethora of remote options are out there. Unfortunately, manufacturers seem to simply be missing the mark in a good number of instances (from my perspective at least).

I have sort of resigned myself to compromising on a two remote solution, Google and I are still goign to keep on eye out though smile.gif

A touchscreen phone can be had for $50, and that has a lot more power and functionality than I would ever require in a HTPC remote. Essentially a Blackberry-esque touch screen/qwerty device with Tivo buttons on the back is the design....maybe some programming and super glue can resolve this!
post #71 of 73 Old 08-24-2013, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 282
You misunderstand me. I'm talking about the fictional remote you described not ever being available. The one you need superglue to build. If it existed, this thread wouldn't exist.
post #72 of 73 Old 08-30-2013, 07:31 AM

*look around for glue*

If I build it, they will come

Point taken though.

It's a shame, but not a major hassle that I will have to use two *gasp* devices to control the HT. I am sure i will learn to cope.

Thanks for the replies.
post #73 of 73 Old 09-06-2013, 09:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 651
Remotes are always a good subject around HTPC's ... There really should be a remote sticky....
TheTinkerer and freetvEE like this.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page