Am i doing this wrong? Whats the best way to watch netflix streaming on my tv? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 11-15-2009, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter
bfm

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone else have this older plasma tv? It's pretty awesome with cable hd and dvd/bluray, blows my friends LCDs away. The problem is netflix streaming. I'm sending the signal in via hdmi input1 to the TV. (my old Yammy recvr is not hdmi) I'm running into pixelation, watching netflix, hulu etc.

Watching DVD's is fine. No bluray right now, I use my ps3...Gaming is fine with the pc, WoW, etc.

Really the only issue is streaming videos off netflix and hulu. Should I try one of the better bluray / netflix dvd payers like a samsung with reon?
Should I ditch the hdmi in and use the native vga input? Shoud I get some kind of scaler to put between the pc and the tv? Buy a new tv? Upgrade the video card? do i need a faster internet conn? I'm on Brighthouse in Tampa. My htpc is a homebuilt using asus M4n78 pro, AMD athlon x4 64bit, with nvidia chips, w the onboard video (gforce 8300) card on my asus M4N78 pro MoBo. It's hardwired with cat6.
Motion pixelates, and blacks are most noticeable...
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 11-15-2009, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I have the same issue on my Mits WS65513 RPTV. Local content is great, streaming drops frames. I have the M3N78-EM which is close to the motherboard you have (Both are 8300 chipset) I've tried a 8400GS video card over component and it helped some, perhaps I need to move up to a 9500GT.
post #3 of 17 Old 11-15-2009, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter
bfm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Servicetech571 View Post

I have the same issue on my Mits WS65513 RPTV. Local content is great, streaming drops frames. I have the M3N78-EM which is close to the motherboard you have (Both are 8300 chipset) I've tried a 8400GS video card over component and it helped some, perhaps I need to move up to a 9500GT.

My problem is not dropping frames, (or maybe it is and my tv is making it look like it is not. What I see is square blocks in the black and gray parts of the screen, and they 'fade' away. Maybe it is just netflix on my old tv. I hear the reon equipped samsung netflix bluray players 'upscale' the netflix signal pretty well. I might run up to bestbuy and grab one to try out.
Best,
B
post #4 of 17 Old 11-15-2009, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Your plasma is probably newer than my 2004 RPTV. I too get the blocks on netflix and sometimes on Hulu. Try fox animation domination (Cleveland show, Simpsons, Family Guy etc.) I've had great picture on those but do get some frame drops on heavy pan scenes
post #5 of 17 Old 11-15-2009, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
the problem isn't with your equipment, it is with netflix. netflix streams to pcs are low bitrate. streams to closed devices (netflix player, bd player, xbox 360, etc.) look better because they get a hight bitrate stream.
post #6 of 17 Old 11-15-2009, 02:49 PM

Netflix just released software for the PS3; give them a call and they will send it to you with your next movie.
post #7 of 17 Old 11-15-2009, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

its the pc, streaming netflix on my xbox is far and away better than the PC windows MCE version.

plus hd is available..

if you want a good netlix experience, dont use a pc. unless you are just using it to have movie mailed to your house.

"If the world didn't suck, we'd all fly off."
post #8 of 17 Old 11-15-2009, 05:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
When streaming HD from netflix what resolution is it streamed at, I would assume 1080i since SD is stramed at 480?
What is the source of the HD content being stramed from Netflix, is it from their available Blue Ray collection?
Do you have to pay extra to get HD streaming as compared to SD streaming, since it requires 4 times the bandwidth?
post #9 of 17 Old 11-15-2009, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by walford View Post

When streaming HD from netflix what resolution is it streamed at, I would assume 1080i since SD is stramed at 480?
What is the source of the HD content being stramed from Netflix, is it from their available Blue Ray collection?
Do you have to pay extra to get HD streaming as compared to SD streaming, since it requires 4 times the bandwidth?

HD is at 720p. There's no extra charge for streaming HD but you have to have standalone equipment (Xbox 360, PS3, TiVo, Roku, etc) and the bandwidth to support it. No, the source is not Blu-ray. They get masters from the studios.

By the way, Netflix SD is streamed at 384p, I believe.
post #10 of 17 Old 11-15-2009, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Some of the PC Netflix streams are criminally bad. We were watching Little People, Big World today and it looked worse than an early camera phone video.

What's sad is that I pay for Netflix, and the PQ is inferior to Hulu's free streams!
post #11 of 17 Old 11-16-2009, 06:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post

By the way, Netflix SD is streamed at 384p, I believe.

Interesting, so the SD steams are a lower resolution then de-interlaced 480i.
I would not have suspected that.
post #12 of 17 Old 11-16-2009, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Go into your Netflix account and click around. You should be able to find links that will get you to a page where you can request a PS3 netflixs streaming blu ray to be sent to you. They will send it to you free of charge to keep. You put it in the PS3 whenever you want to watch netflix on the PS3 and start it just like you would a normal Blu ray.

Most likely, the PS3 (or xbox360 too if you have that) will be better quality than the PC playback because the PS3 gets straight AVC content while the PC gets hosed with Silverlight playback, which (I personally believe) is intended to not play correctly regardless of how powerful your PC is. That said, you will still be at the mercy of your ISPs bandwidth. HD streams max out around 5 to 6 Mbps, SD less than that. Regardless, don't expect to get anywhere close to blu ray quality. You used to get somewhat close to DVD quality for SD content even with speeds around 2Mbps, but that was back before Netflix switched to Silverlight playback on the PC.

Lastly, when playing The Princess Bride (SD video) through Netflix on the PS3 a week or two ago it showed as 480p on the info popup. Don't know what HD streams are sent out as. I haven't streamed anything else from netflix since.

-Suntan
post #13 of 17 Old 11-16-2009, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntan View Post

Most likely, the PS3 (or xbox360 too if you have that) will be better quality than the PC playback because the PS3 gets straight AVC content while the PC gets hosed with Silverlight playback, which (I personally believe) is intended to not play correctly regardless of how powerful your PC is.

Correction, content is encoded using VC-1 and not AVC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntan View Post

Lastly, when playing The Princess Bride (SD video) through Netflix on the PS3 a week or two ago it showed as 480p on the info popup.

Was it the info popup on the TV? If so, it would obviously show as 480p assuming the PS3 isn't upscaling the content to higher. I don't think the PS3 will output 384p as is. TV's probably don't support that resolution natively...
post #14 of 17 Old 11-16-2009, 08:26 AM

Netflix will stream HD to the PS3. They will send you the disk for free.

http://www.netflix.com/ps3

They don't currently stream HD to the PC, and I think that's more a business decision than anything else. I think they earn some licensing fees from samsung, LG, roku, etc for netflix streaming and one of the selling points is probably the HD capability that the PC can't (isn't enabled) do.

I had a Roku, the PC and now the PS3. Out of the three, the Roku streamed the smoothest and the PS3 has the sharpest picture/most vivid colors. The interface on the PS3 is better than the Roku in terms of video navigation, though it take a little longer to boot up and start playing. I noticed the PS3 switched resolution for SD content, I believe it was running at 480.

PC streaming is definitely pixelated in MC7 and the worst of the three. Even watching the same SD content the PS3 & Roku seem to upscale much better than the PC. If that's what you're using then there's not much you can do about it for now.
post #15 of 17 Old 11-16-2009, 08:33 AM

Liked: 15
post #16 of 17 Old 11-16-2009, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

Correction, content is encoded using VC-1 and not AVC.

Whatever you say. When I pressed the info button on the PS3 it popped up saying that the media stream was AVC content with 2 ch audio.

Quote:

Was it the info popup on the TV? If so, it would obviously show as 480p assuming the PS3 isn't upscaling the content to higher. I don't think the PS3 will output 384p as is. TV's probably don't support that resolution natively...

Again, it was the popup info of the PS3 showing what the incoming media stream was. The PS3 was upscaling it and outputting it at 1080p.

-Suntan
post #17 of 17 Old 11-18-2009, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter
bfm

Thanks!
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page