What software for DVD/Blue-ray jukebox with Win7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 11-18-2009, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I think I want to start ripping some of my DVDs and Blue-Ray disks to my Win 7 HTPC so I don't have so many disks laying around. I like media center so I would like to stay with it. I would like to just see the Movies in MCE and just click on the picuture of the disk and have the DVD or Blue-Ray movie run. So my questions are:

What form should I rip the DVDs to for playback? ISO and use Clown to mount them in a virtural drive?

I have AnyDVD and DVDFAB what else do I need for software (And what for Blue-Ray playback?

Can I stream the movies to my PS3 that is hooked to my Projector?

Anything else I should consider?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 11-18-2009, 08:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckvb View Post

I think I want to start ripping some of my DVDs and Blue-Ray disks to my Win 7 HTPC so I don't have so many disks laying around. I like media center so I would like to stay with it. I would like to just see the Movies in MCE and just click on the picuture of the disk and have the DVD or Blue-Ray movie run. So my questions are:

What form should I rip the DVDs to for playback? ISO and use Clown to mount them in a virtural drive?

I have AnyDVD and DVDFAB what else do I need for software (And what for Blue-Ray playback?

Can I stream the movies to my PS3 that is hooked to my Projector?

Anything else I should consider?

Thanks

I would say there is no ideal format. You could rip to ISO and mount for playback. I prefer to rip my SD DVDs to mkv using MakeMKV (I only rip the main movie as I am not interested in keeping the DVD Menus, etc...) and rip my Blu Rays to .ts using Clown_BD (I keep the main movie, HD Audio track, and create a secondary AC3 track). I then use metabrowser to gather my metadata and use Media Browser as my UI within Windows Media Center.

You can see my writeup of MediaBrowser here and my writeup of metabrowser here.

As for your PS3 unfortunately it is limited in what files it supports, so the best bet would be to use a program called PS3MediaServer on your PC/Server where you will be storing your ripped DVDs. This will transcode on the fly your dvds to the PS3 so the PS3 can play back.

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

post #3 of 3 Old 11-20-2009, 11:06 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the advice. Looks like there is no way to stream the ripped Blue-Ray's to the PS3?
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page