Windows Seven - Messed up MPEG2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 11-21-2009, 12:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
When trying to get around Windows Seven restriction on using external codecs instead of supplied internal ones, I somehow messed up the ability of the system to play MPEG2 files, which means that everything works now, but recorded and live TV, which both show Codec Error.
I need to know proper registry configuration for playing of these. The whole problem started when I started to play with registry (preferred DirectShow codecs) to force Windows to use ffdshow after both MCDU and Win7DSFilterTweaker failed miserably. The truth is that messing up my MPEG2 playback was the only change I was able to make as the system never used ffdshow for DIVX playback as I wanted to.

Windows 7 x86
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-21-2009, 05:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 48
The next time you do a clean install of the Windows 7 Operating System I suggest you give the Win7codecs a try. Although it doesn't interfere with the default Microsoft codecs upon installation, the Settings Application will give you what you want without breaking your system. Your ffdshow/Divx issue is resolved with a single click on the SWAP TAB. I suggest NOT installing any other codec related software such as divx ect. because everything you need is already handled by the settings application. If you have a question, take it to the forum.

Another setting which is a must if you want to use the Microsoft players is on the Help TAB, Associate Filetypes. Also know, the only way to uninstall is to use the UNINSTALL button on the Help TAB. I assure you, uninstalling this software will return your system to a preinstallation environment leaving no foul residue.

When you have things working as you wish, use the Save Settings feature on the Misc TAB. Then you can choose to Restore to that point after testing other configurations. When you cant figure out what you did to screw up playback, use the Reset All button or the Restore button.

If you have an unresolved issue, there is a forum specifically for this software.

Use
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and retain your sanity.
post #3 of 10 Old 11-21-2009, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

you dont NEED any codec packs. win7 does it all, including most audio. you only need a mkv splitter if you have mkvs.

and there is no problem with installing divx, but only if you need it for extender use.

i avoid codec packs at all costs. becuase you never know what its is taking over. find out what you NEED and just install it.

unless you have a really good reason for switching codecs, like if something isnt working, dont change it, the PQ increase would be marginal, and could even be worse.

"If the world didn't suck, we'd all fly off."
post #4 of 10 Old 11-21-2009, 07:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Use the following utility not the registry to change your MC decoder.

http://thedigitallifestyle.com/cs/bl...aces-vmcd.aspx
post #5 of 10 Old 11-21-2009, 10:26 AM

Liked: 15
best way to screwup an os is playing with codec's, also known as CodeC hell, if all else fails try a system restore point before you made the changes, this is where acronis true image really shines as it will restore your system image in less than 30 minutes, unless you have an lot of data stored in your user profile, which you should avoid anyway.
post #6 of 10 Old 11-21-2009, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac25 View Post

best way to screwup an os is playing with codec's, also known as CodeC hell, if all else fails try a system restore point before you made the changes, this is where acronis true image really shines as it will restore your system image in less than 30 minutes, unless you have an lot of data stored in your user profile, which you should avoid anyway.

i have yet to use my acronis but creating a system restore point before every codec change to make is a must. its way to easy to screw things up, and system restore fixes things in minutes...

post #7 of 10 Old 11-21-2009, 03:48 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_311 View Post

you dont NEED any codec packs. win7 does it all, including most audio. you only need a mkv splitter if you have mkvs.

and there is no problem with installing divx, but only if you need it for extender use.

i avoid codec packs at all costs. becuase you never know what its is taking over. find out what you NEED and just install it.

unless you have a really good reason for switching codecs, like if something isnt working, dont change it, the PQ increase would be marginal, and could even be worse.

I wish it was that easy. I installed the MatroskaSplitter for mkvs and it broke my win7 ability to play avchd files from my camcorder. So I reinstalled win7 and installed sharks win7 codecs and it works. So sometimes codec packs aren't all bad.
post #8 of 10 Old 11-21-2009, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by me23 View Post

I wish it was that easy. I installed the MatroskaSplitter for mkvs and it broke my win7 ability to play avchd files from my camcorder. So I reinstalled win7 and installed sharks win7 codecs and it works. So sometimes codec packs aren't all bad.

no they arent, but they can sometimes cause more harm than good... i recently went to codec hell with shark007, divx and other trying to get mkv playback on my xbox.

IMO, the less codecs the better.

thank god for system restore.

post #9 of 10 Old 11-21-2009, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_311 View Post

i have yet to use my acronis but creating a system restore point before every codec change to make is a must. its way to easy to screw things up, and system restore fixes things in minutes...

I have completely turned off system restore.
I always create a full image before I plan on doing anything risky, like codecs, drivers, bios, etc., and if I don't mess around with the system for a while, I create an image every two months just in case. And I keeep the latest three, plus a few key images (like right after initial install, for example).
To restore an image takes less than 10 minutes on my dual boot system, but I have no data at all stored on the two system partitions that are imaged.
post #10 of 10 Old 11-23-2009, 02:53 AM - Thread Starter

At the end I used system restore and my system is again working as expected. The reason I went through this painful task was that I wanted use DIVX + subtitles, which is not working by default (Windows Seven uses its Media Foundation codecs that do not work with subtitles). I gave up and I will use BSPlayer when I will rarely need subtitles, because messing up with Windows Seven codecs is not worthwhile.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page