Windows 7 troubles - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 36 Old 11-21-2009, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Alright so I am getting quite frustrated with my windows 7 installation. I had such high hopes....I am currently useing the windows 7 RC, I hesitate to buy the full retail version now that I am having such troubles. I had originaly had a dual boot configuration and ran into all sorts of headaches and deleted the installation. Now I am gave it a second go, wiping my harddrive clean this time and going with solely the windows 7 installation. Now on to my troubles,

I installed windows 7 and had everything set up, QAM, Netflix, and all that I needed for my HTPC to be great, then, just this friday as the weekend came around for time for me to enjoy it.....the QAM started to go on the fritz...choppy channels and everything.....I tried updateing the drivers, re-seating the card, checked cables, and nothing would clear this up. It boggled me becasue it was just working the day before and I made clear recordings and could watch all the channels. My computer is more than capable of handeling the channels. I don't know what to do...

Next with the Netflix, I had the program working just days ago, and silverlight had no problems streaming to my computer.....then once the weekend hit....silverlight started throwing stuttering audio my way and nothing is watchable at all.

Oh yeah and I can not get the computer to go into hibernate either....

I know this sounds like a rant, but I really want this windows 7 machine to work....yet I don't know what to do besides maybe try and re-install windows 7 and see if something got messed up with the installation? I am just tired of fooling with it....I had everything set up and now it all decides not to work..... Any help is greatly appriciated, thank you..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 11-21-2009, 08:36 PM

One thing that really helps: always create a disk image when you have everything working ... it will let you go back in a matter of minutes to find out if software / the OS got messed up or if you got a HW problem.

Maybe too late now, but worth it to remember for next time.

Good luck, hope you get it resolved ....
post #3 of 36 Old 11-21-2009, 08:43 PM

Liked: 15
could be issues with your service provider, and not your pc.
post #4 of 36 Old 11-22-2009, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter

I will make a disk image later if I have to re-install windows 7, it just never crossed my mind thought as dumb as that sounds.....

"Mac25 could be issues with your service provider, and not your pc. "

With the QAM? I had thought that but then again doesn't QAM channels come directly from the local stations themselves? What are the possibilities that all QAM channels are messed up? Now if your talking about the silverlight/netflix problem, I am able to play any silverlight content on my laptop with is running the same RC build of Windows 7. I have no problems with the audio there. What doesn't make sence is the that fact that I had everything working at one point, and now since friday everything has gone to hell. Basicly all I can do is watch SD tv, and play back my movies/music, when I know the computer can do more yet things are messing up and I can't use those functions....I am very hesitant to buy the retail version of 7 if I can't get these problems fixed.....
post #5 of 36 Old 11-22-2009, 09:13 AM

Qam is coming from a cable subscriber, which most rely on satelites to bounce signals, weather conditions can affect those signals, any viewing troubles outside of the htpc ?
post #6 of 36 Old 11-22-2009, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I had QAM issues when I was using Vista. It wouldn't affect all channels, just some--some of the time. It was a splitter issue. If it was bad enough it could affect all channels. Given the change though, I'd probably just check the cable connections--maybe something came loose.

Assuming your cable is also your ISP, that could also explain the silverlight issues.

Have you tried a speed test on your Internet connection, and do you know what it was previously?
post #7 of 36 Old 11-22-2009, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

Well I think I can clearly rule out the isp as being the problem for silverlight as with my laptop the runs on the wireless connection from the modem, and on windows 7 RC I can view silverlight content with no problem. I also noticed that when the QAM channels become jumbled up the W7MCE also starts to lock up, as if the computer is having a hard time decoding the signal. I don't know why this would be because my computer is more than capable to handle the content, and as I said before this all worked flawlessly for a week after I got it all set up.....

EDIT**I also checked all my connections, removed my splitter from the setup and plugged the QAM "Cable" into the wall directly and I still got the scrambled mess.

Also on the hibernate issue I only have trouble hibernating the computer when a virtual disk program is installed such as Daemon tools, or virtual cd. When those programs are not present the computer will hibernate and resume without trouble.

I have a feeling something went crazy with a program I install or did, as I am just dumb-founded why win7 acts all crazy one week after having it installed.......
post #8 of 36 Old 11-22-2009, 12:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Several vendors had to change their applications and or drivers between the RC1 release and the RTM release and therefore the Win7 drivers or apps on their websites no longer work on the RC1 release even if they did before.
post #9 of 36 Old 11-22-2009, 12:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 18
-Check the event log for errors (system & app).
-Do a check disk and scan for bad sectors.
-do a sfc /scannow as an admin to ensure system integrity.
post #10 of 36 Old 11-22-2009, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford View Post

Several vendors had to change their applications and or drivers between the RC1 release and the RTM release and therefore the Win7 drivers or apps on their websites no longer work on the RC1 release even if they did before.

I can understand this to be true, yet what would explain the fact that all my drivers worked for a week straight and then started acting up. I can't assume this to be a driver issue as the problems would have been apparent the minute the computer rebooted into win7.

[Bnightfly85[/b] I will run chdisk on each of my partitions, when you say check the event log for the system and app, where is that specificly? I know at one time how to pull that up yet it's been a while since I have looked at it.
Also when you say "-do a sfc /scannow as an admin to ensure system integrity." what are you refering too?

Thanks
post #11 of 36 Old 11-22-2009, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 59
About QAM, have you tried connecting the cable directly to your HDTV and see if it's the cable provider's signal with the problem? I had massive stutter issues with a couple of my recordings so I plugged in the TV directly to the wall and used the TV's built-in QAM tuner. Still had problems so I assumed the cable co just lowered signal all around.

Can you watch Netflix in a browser on your HTPC?

Also, what hardware do you have? More often than not, it seems HTPC issues are hardware-related (drivers, etc) rather than software. Unless, of course, you install all sorts of junk on your HTPC.
post #12 of 36 Old 11-22-2009, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

Bnightfly85: I found the event viewer, yet I have no clue what kind of errors I am looking for...

ilovejedd: I don't have a QAM Tuner in my HDTV as it is a few years old so I don't have that ability to double check the signal. Also my hardware:

AMD 9650 X4 Phenom I
AsRock Mobo 780G chipset
4gb GSkill Ram
Onboard Video hd3200
Auzentech X-plosion 7.1 Analog Audio card
Hauppauge 1600 Tunner with Analog and QAM tuners.
Three seperate Harddrives
1tb, 750gb, 300gb.
post #13 of 36 Old 11-22-2009, 07:10 PM

Do you happen to have automatic update of drivers enabled (enabled by default). This may explain why problems started.
post #14 of 36 Old 11-23-2009, 06:39 AM - Thread Starter

Well I have automatic update enabled for the system but I have to approve anything the gets updated. I keep a close eye on what comes through to be updated, I can't remember what would have been updated driver wise by windows update.....

I will most likely have to re-install and get everything set up and then make a disk image with nero backup and see if the problems will sort themselves out......

Any other suggestions?
post #15 of 36 Old 11-23-2009, 07:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

If you reinstall do it with the RTM version of Win7 not RC1 since many problems in RC1 were fixed in the RTM version and some of the driver fixes are not backwards compatible
to RC1.
post #16 of 36 Old 11-23-2009, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beankid View Post

I will most likely have to re-install and get everything set up and then make a disk image with nero backup and see if the problems will sort themselves out......

Any other suggestions?

Nero will not create a 'disk image' that can be used to re-image your operating system to allow for recovery, you can however create a image of your operating system using backup and restore [create a system image], you will be prompted to create a recovery disk [which i highly recommend] that will alow you to boot from and re-image you os, you will however need another hard drive to store the system image on, as the location where you store a system image cannot be stored on the os hard drive.
post #17 of 36 Old 11-23-2009, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford View Post

If you reinstall do it with the RTM version of Win7 not RC1 since many problems in RC1 were fixed in the RTM version and some of the driver fixes are not backwards compatible
to RC1.

I second this. You should be using the most up-to-date trial if you're truly going to test Win7. After fresh install + image, install things item by item and test to ensure that each part works before moving onto the next installation. This will help troubleshoot.
post #18 of 36 Old 11-23-2009, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter

How can I get a more up-to-date build than the RC without buying the retail? The retail cost's a pretty penny when I am talking about just wanting to try things out to see if it is worth the cost. I could go the "black-internet" route and get it from un-known sources but I wont post about that on here.

I was under the impression that nero back-up would let me image the harddrive and restore from that image? I got the application when I bought nero 9 just really havn't had a use for it.
post #19 of 36 Old 11-23-2009, 08:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I ordere my Win7 updates the first week in July when they were $50 regretfully you did not order yours at that time. Good luck using RDC1 untill it expires next spring.
post #20 of 36 Old 11-23-2009, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Use the re-arms and save your pennies for 120 days.
post #21 of 36 Old 11-23-2009, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter

re-arms? I am not sure what you mean by this? I do have the opportunity to order an "update" disk with my student acount from my college. Yet I wanted to use this for my tablet. Is there anyway I can get two copies of this both at 30 through M$ deal for college students?
post #22 of 36 Old 11-23-2009, 09:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Ya, you get one copy and your girlfriend gets the other copy, win win..

If you want to re-arm windows 7 after the 30 days expire, key this in to DOS or the start bar.

slmgr.vbs /rearm

Only do that on your last day before it expires to get more out of it. You get 4 of them.
post #23 of 36 Old 11-23-2009, 09:45 PM - Thread Starter

well I will have to see about that one.....hopefully all my troubles can be related to my setup not loving windows 7RC.....
post #24 of 36 Old 11-23-2009, 11:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

M$

How witty! How clever!
post #25 of 36 Old 11-28-2009, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter

Well I went ahead and bought the retail copy of windows 7......I still have the same problems.....minus the hibernation issue...I think....

The HDTV channels still come in all scrambled and messed up, excetp for cspan and booktv. The silverlight still studders with the audio as well.... I just don't know what happened, or how to troubleshoot this.

Any more help?

EDIT** OK so I found out that if I kill the proccess hsmrg.exe then the audio stuttering goes away.....I also found out that my computer updated the files pertaining to my tv tuner, yet I have no clue how to un-do what it updated.... I am assumeing this has something to do why my tv channels are all scrambled because I remember that windows updated the tuner last time. I will try the HCW clear and re-install the drivers to see if that changes anything. If you know about the proccess hsmrg.exe and if there is any reason for it to cause the stuttering problem with silverlight let me know.

EDIT #2** I found a quick fix for my audio stuttering problem, I moved the hsmgr.exe file to the desktop to stop it from running. Still havn't been able to find secure HD channels to replace the ones that where suddenly crapped on....Might be something out of my control.
post #26 of 36 Old 11-28-2009, 09:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well I went ahead and bought the retail copy of windows 7......I still have the same problems.....minus the hibernation issue...I think....

The HDTV channels still come in all scrambled and messed up, excetp for cspan and booktv. The silverlight still studders with the audio as well.... I just don't know what happened, or how to troubleshoot this.

Any more help?

EDIT** OK so I found out that if I kill the proccess hsmrg.exe then the audio stuttering goes away.....I also found out that my computer updated the files pertaining to my tv tuner, yet I have no clue how to un-do what it updated.... I am assumeing this has something to do why my tv channels are all scrambled because I remember that windows updated the tuner last time. I will try the HCW clear and re-install the drivers to see if that changes anything. If you know about the proccess hsmrg.exe and if there is any reason for it to cause the stuttering problem with silverlight let me know.

EDIT #2** I found a quick fix for my audio stuttering problem, I moved the hsmgr.exe file to the desktop to stop it from running. Still havn't been able to find secure HD channels to replace the ones that where suddenly crapped on....Might be something out of my control.

is it possible your motherboard went bad?

its starting to sound a lot less like a software problem. I realize that microsoft has its quirks with updates, but your system getting that jacked up overnight seems odd, especially now that its still busted after a clean install.

"If the world didn't suck, we'd all fly off."
post #27 of 36 Old 11-28-2009, 10:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 36
beankid, do you have an Asus soundcard like the Xonar? HSMgr.exe is used for EAX on those. If you do have one, download and install the "Vista Game Patch" from Asus. This should resolve the issue.
post #28 of 36 Old 11-28-2009, 10:38 PM - Thread Starter

vladd: no I don't have an asus sound card, it's made by auzentech.

I am starting to think something hardware wise went bad on my computer....possibly the motherboard. I just don't have to money to put forth to fix it since it does power up and runs the computer for normal tasks. I just have a hard time to justify that purchase right now unless I know 100%

The computer will go into S3 sleep, just not S1....
post #29 of 36 Old 11-28-2009, 10:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Auzentech cards that are EAX compatible also use HSMgr.exe. If you don't use any games that have EAX, you can kill HSMgr.exe with no ill effect. You can also use MSConfig to prevent it from starting on boot.

See http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...8-166cb5fa7886 for reference.

Edit:

I see you moved the file from it's original location. That will work as well.
post #30 of 36 Old 11-28-2009, 11:20 PM - Thread Starter

well I have concluded that the hibernation problem hasn't been resolved, thought it was related to virtual clone drive...it's not....

I enabled S3 sleep state in the bios which works, and so does hibernation, yet they only work after a full reboot. As in when I reboot the computer and don't start any programs then put the computer into hibernation. When I reboot the computer and run MCE and then start something like live tv, then exit MCE and try to put the computer into hibernation nothing happens. The screen goes blank, and the HD's spin down yet the computer never shuts off.

I just don't understand what happend, when I was dual booting win7 and XP I never had these problems. I did start to have problems with the XP installtion not shutting down, yet the problem was never mirrored in the win7 install......

I allready sunk money into buying win7 and the problem was never that I had the RC version.......now if I have to buy a new motherboard just to test the theory that there is a hardware problem....You start to see where I headed with this.

Any ideas to troubleshoot these problems are greatly appriciated. Thank you.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page