G45 HTPC > Denon AVR-790 via HDMI - No Picture - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 11-29-2009, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
LJHarper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I built an HTPC this summer (Intel G45), and connected it via HDMI to my 3-yr old Olevia HDTV (1080i). I've never had a single problem with display of any kind between the two, including BluRay playback.

I just completed a major re-wiring project so that I could move all components into a cabinet at the back of the room, and I purchased the Denon AVR-790 to handle all inputs with the single HDMI output to the TV. I connected my HTPC and DirecTV to HDMI inputs on the Denon, my Wii connected via component which is upconverting to the HDMI output.

DirecTV and Wii are working perfectly. However, I can't get any video/audio from the HTPC. If I take the HDMI cable from the Denon output, and plug it directly to the HTPC, it works fine. I just can't get any signal from the HTPC through the receiver. I tried 3 different cables from the HTPC and the receiver. I've updated the video and chipset drivers, however I'm not even seeing the boot screen so not sure it's even an OS/driver issue. I am at a loss as to what to try next.
LJHarper is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 Old 12-01-2009, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
LJHarper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Still working on this issue. Is anyone else successfully running an Intel G45-based HTPC to a Denon receiver via HDMI, output via HDMI to HDTV? I'd like to figure out if I've got a global Intel-Denon issue, or something more specific to my particular setup.

This is the HDMI cable I ran. As I mentioned in the previous post, when I connect the PC directly to the TV via this cable, it works perfectly, as do the DirecTV and Wii with the receiver connected via this cable. Is there any possible reason this cable might not be compatible with the HTPC->Receiver->TV communication chain?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16812189139

I'm really stumped here, I don't know what else to try. This situation blows a huge hole in my project. My only remaining option is to give up on the HTPC and just buy a Blue-Ray player, but my family really enjoys the added functionality of the living room PC.
LJHarper is offline  
post #3 of 12 Old 12-01-2009, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
LJHarper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Side Note: I've never used DVI to HDMI before, as the PC had always been hooked to the TV via HDMI directly. However I noticed a spare adapter sitting on my desk so decided to give that a shot. With the adapter in the DVI-out of the PC, then HDMI cable to the receiver, I was able to get a picture. I had to run sound via SPDIF-out.

It doesn't make any sense to me why that would work whereas direct HDMI won't. What am I losing potentially with this connection method?
LJHarper is offline  
post #4 of 12 Old 12-01-2009, 09:57 PM
Newbie
 
kipster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJHarper View Post

Side Note: I've never used DVI to HDMI before, as the PC had always been hooked to the TV via HDMI directly. However I noticed a spare adapter sitting on my desk so decided to give that a shot. With the adapter in the DVI-out of the PC, then HDMI cable to the receiver, I was able to get a picture. I had to run sound via SPDIF-out.

It doesn't make any sense to me why that would work whereas direct HDMI won't. What am I losing potentially with this connection method?

Hi,
I have a Intel DG45ID mobo based HTPC, a Denon AVR-1909 and a plasma TV. In the early days I did have problems getting a display from the HTPC via AVR to the TV however with the later bios versions and graphics drivers all has been rectified.
In the early days there was a reg setting I changed so that I could get the display onto the TV.
Have a look through the DG45ID thread and in particular look for bitbashingsupport in the registry.

Regards
kip
kipster is offline  
post #5 of 12 Old 12-02-2009, 04:50 AM
Member
 
nobisita's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm using an Intel DG45ID mobo to a Denon AVR-889 without any issue. I have all the latest G45 drivers installed. When I first set up the HTPC, I noticed that I did not get a picture when I turned the HTPC on prior to switching the AVR to the correct HDMI input. With later drivers, this issue went away. I also have a Shuttle with the G45 and it works flawlessly via HDMI as well.

I suggest going through the settings on the receiver again just to be sure that the input and output settings are correct when you're using the HTPC.
nobisita is offline  
post #6 of 12 Old 12-02-2009, 06:39 AM
 
cybrsage's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Posts: 8,074
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 147
I am using an ASUS G45 mobo with the Denon 3808CI with no problems. The only issue is I had to connect the HTPC to HDMI 4 in order for it to work.

HDMI 4 is the one closest to the HDMI output connection.
cybrsage is offline  
post #7 of 12 Old 12-02-2009, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
LJHarper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've got the Intel DG45ID, latest BIOS, G45 chipset and video drivers (Windows 7 32-bit), so I think those bases are covered.

kipster - thanks for the tip, I will do some research on the registry edits you mention. Sounds like your setup is almost identical to mine, so at least I know the combo *should* be workable which make me feel a little more optimistic. The only thing though is I don't even see the boot screen, so the problem seems to be pre-Windows, which means drivers/registry haven't come into play at that point. But I'll still look into it.

cybrsage - I'll try HDMI 4. I have tried both 1 and 2, but not 4. I did notice that each HDMI port has a little different default settings based on the device label. I'll take a closer look at those and see if I can note a difference.

Really though, there aren't that many settings available. Basically I have upconvert/upcale OFF, though I tried several combinations of resolution upscaling as well. I've tried input mode set to Auto as well as HDMI. I'm not really sure there's anything else to change.

nobisita - I read some other posts about issues with when the device is turned on, so I tried that as well. Shut down PC AND receiver. Turned the receiver on to the HTPC input, then turned on the PC, no dice. Then tried it vice-versa. Interesting thing is, through the DVI-to-HDMI adapter, it doesn't seem to care what's on when, I get a picture immediately regardless of what order I turn on or switch inputs, and I can go back and forth between inputs just fine.

I am curious as to what the difference is in the signal between direct HDMI as opposed to DVI-to-HDMI. Why no picture direct, but picture pops right up with the DVI-to-HDMI adapter? Seems like the answer to that has to point to the cause of the issue.
LJHarper is offline  
post #8 of 12 Old 12-03-2009, 07:17 PM
Newbie
 
kipster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
With earlier BIOS versions I experienced the same problem of no boot screen/post. Later BIOS versions fixed this.
I also remotely accessed the HTPC via another PC just to see what was happening. I could get video remotely but not on the TV. After modifying the bitbashingsupport reg value I got video on the TV.
But as I mentioned earlier the latest BIOS and graphic drivers have fixed this issue
kipster is offline  
post #9 of 12 Old 12-03-2009, 09:10 PM
Member
 
usctrojan98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 48
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJHarper View Post

I built an HTPC this summer (Intel G45), and connected it via HDMI to my 3-yr old Olevia HDTV (1080i). I've never had a single problem with display of any kind between the two, including BluRay playback.

I just completed a major re-wiring project so that I could move all components into a cabinet at the back of the room, and I purchased the Denon AVR-790 to handle all inputs with the single HDMI output to the TV. I connected my HTPC and DirecTV to HDMI inputs on the Denon, my Wii connected via component which is upconverting to the HDMI output.

DirecTV and Wii are working perfectly. However, I can't get any video/audio from the HTPC. If I take the HDMI cable from the Denon output, and plug it directly to the HTPC, it works fine. I just can't get any signal from the HTPC through the receiver. I tried 3 different cables from the HTPC and the receiver. I've updated the video and chipset drivers, however I'm not even seeing the boot screen so not sure it's even an OS/driver issue. I am at a loss as to what to try next.

Were you able to resolve this? I have a very similar issue. Mac mini -> AVR 2310CI -> Sony HDTV does not show display after "Starting Windows" screen. But if I go from Mac mini -> HDTV it goes all the way to Windows desktop and such.

(Windows installed via Boot Camp on the Intel mac mini)
usctrojan98 is offline  
post #10 of 12 Old 12-03-2009, 10:45 PM
Newbie
 
ErgoWeSurrender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Try a factory reset on the AVR790 first! It fixed my no video out, but I still have a problem in that the AVR790 is not seen as HDCP compliant, and worse Windows 7 only shows that it supports Stereo.

BTW- I have an AMD/ATI mobo with A780G (Radeon 3200), so no I don't think this issue is specific to Intel G45 chipset probs.

See my post on another forum here: (you will have to PM me for the URL, as I cannot post URL's yet!- Forum rules!)

Hope this helps. If anyone can provide any clues on how to get 5.1 support via HDMI from the AVR790 it would be much appreciated.
ErgoWeSurrender is offline  
post #11 of 12 Old 12-04-2009, 08:38 AM
Member
 
usctrojan98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 48
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErgoWeSurrender View Post

Try a factory reset on the AVR790 first! It fixed my no video out, but I still have a problem in that the AVR790 is not seen as HDCP compliant, and worse Windows 7 only shows that it supports Stereo.

BTW- I have an AMD/ATI mobo with A780G (Radeon 3200), so no I don't think this issue is specific to Intel G45 chipset probs.

See my post on another forum here: (you will have to PM me for the URL, as I cannot post URL's yet!- Forum rules!)

Hope this helps. If anyone can provide any clues on how to get 5.1 support via HDMI from the AVR790 it would be much appreciated.

When I boot to Mac OS X, I am able to see the picture just fine (at 1080p) and I also get the 5.1 audio. So I am not too sure what is happening with Windows specifically in terms of understanding that the Denon is connected.
usctrojan98 is offline  
post #12 of 12 Old 12-04-2009, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
LJHarper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by usctrojan98 View Post

Were you able to resolve this? I have a very similar issue. Mac mini -> AVR 2310CI -> Sony HDTV does not show display after "Starting Windows" screen. But if I go from Mac mini -> HDTV it goes all the way to Windows desktop and such.

(Windows installed via Boot Camp on the Intel mac mini)

I have not resolved it yet, but I have a whole list of things to try this weekend thanks to everyone here.

I do already have the latest BIOS and chipset/video drivers installed.

Right now I'm up and running with the DVI-to-HDMI adapter, with sound connected separately via SPDIF out. Perhaps I'm imagining things, but the picture quality just doesn't seem as good as when I am connected directly to the TV via straight HDMI.

I was able to play a Blu-Ray using the PowerDVD 7.3 which came free with my drive, so it doesn't appear I have any HDCP issues with this configuration. But I'm not getting HD sound - I believe I need to upgrade to PowerDVD 9 for that though. I'll be the first to admit I don't understand all the different formats and such. I am definitely NOT an audiophile, so I don't honestly know if I'm set up to the best advantage sound-wise.

I have read that alot of people have issues getting 5.1 sound out from HDMI. Before I got the receiver, I know I also only had the option of Stereo when I used HDMI for sound.
LJHarper is offline  
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off