Why wont movies play smoothly on my Pioneer LX5090H? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 11-30-2009, 04:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I'm getting sick and tired of my movies streamed from my computer feeling laggy on my Pioneer LX5090H Plasma TV!

---------
-----------------------------------------------
My hardware is:

- Desktop computer (running Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.8GHz, 6GB RAM and GeForce GTX285 with latest drivers)
- Yamaha RX-V3900 AV-receiver
- Pioneer Kuro LX5090H Plasma TV
- Profigold SKY 1.3c HDMI cables (Profigold SKY DVI-HDMI from computer to receiver as the graphic card don't feature HDMI output)

Software:

- Media Player Classic Home Cinema (latest version)
- Tweaked by the following guide:
http://nunnally.ahmygoddess.net/watc...itecture-cuda/
- CoreAVC 1.9.5 Pro with Haali Media Splitter
-----------------------------------------------
---------

I've been using downloaded full 1080P clips of the Star Wars intro as a source (works perfectly for noticing any kind of lagging, or tearing!)

1080P@60Hz (Recommended) - The text got this tiny noticeable shaking pretty much constantly, not that easy to notice but it's there

1080P@50Hz - Feels smoother than 60Hz at first, no "shaking" but you have this lagg every 2second where the text suddenly skips / jumps from one please to a few pixels above? So no shaking, but laggy.

1080P@24Hz - Supposedly the best setting for Blu-Ray rips, as they are all 24Hz? Well, no shaking like with 60Hz, but the same lag problem as with 50Hz, and it occurs more often? Has to be the worst of all 1080P settings?

1080i@30Hz (Native) - Might be the best of them all, I don't really know why a 1080P@24Hz movie would be playing out best with a 1080i@30Hz setting, but with the LX5090H native 1080i@30Hz resolution (why is 1080i native in the first place?) it overall feels very smooth, along with the shaking being barely noticeable from a distance, you still notice it if you look closely enough, but this have to be the best setting of all? Not perfect, shame that it's 1080i and not 1080P, at least considering we are talking about a 1080P@24Hz source, but nevertheless it feels the smoothest of them all.

But.. I wouldn't make this thread if I was satisfied withe result now, would I?
I don't really know what to expect, but when I have one of the supposedly best TV-monitors on the marked (LX5090H) combined with some really fine piece of hardware in the RX-V3900, hooked up with a supposedly "over-powered" computer when it comes to movie playback I do expect things to run flawlessly, and they don't?

Both my LX5090H and RX-V3900 have been calibrated by one of the most popular professional ISF-qualified guy here in Norway, the picture quality when watching Blu-Ray (and DVD's for that matter) on my PlayStation3 Slim is superb, how come Blu-Ray rips on my computer aren't able to come close to the smoothness that my PlayStation3 Slim provides when watching Blu-Ray and DVD's?

Funny thing is that when watching the movies on my PC-monitor, or on my laptop (with Intel Core 2 Duo P9400 CPU and Intel GMA X4500 HD graphics) things run more smoothly than when streaming to my LX5090H?

The flaws are just appearing when it's shown on my LX5090H? Not when shown on either my PC-monitor or on my laptop? No matter if it's the same movie or not? Obviously there has to be something going on with my LX5090H or along the way through my RX-V3900 that screw things up?

I've tried with PureDirect mode enabled on my RX-V3900, but it's still the same? With movies like Transformers II: Revenge of the Fallen I actually get lots of framedrops when watching it on my LX5090H, but no framedrops if I drag it to my PC-monitor? Or watch it on my laptop?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-30-2009, 04:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What format are you ripping the movies in? Have you tried playing them with a different player and no codec's added? The trials and tribulations of using extra codecs, always messing around with the system. You are going to see any flaws with a larger screen more than with a smaller one.
post #3 of 5 Old 11-30-2009, 05:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The Star Wars movie I'm testing with is:

Video: MPEG4 Video (H264) 1920x816 25.00fps [Video]
Audio: Dolby AC3 48000Hz stereo [Audio]

The heaviest versions I have is more like:

Video: MPEG4 Video (H264) 1920x1080 23.98fps [Video]
Audio: DTS 48000Hz 6ch 1509Kbps [Audio]

It goes for every rip I've got, no matter if it's DVD or whatever.. I also occurs when playing DVD's of the DVD-player on the computer as well.

I thought the combination of MPC-HC + CoreAVC / CUDA with EVR Custom config was supposed to be the best out there?

I also tried with VideoLAN (VLC) and Windows Media Player, and things got even worse when using those.. Now all the different resolutions was noticeably laggy?

It's obviously not the LX5090H or the RX-V3900 causing this, as things work flawlessly with both my PS3 Slim and Xbox360, and they go the same route through my RX-V3900 and to my LX5090H?

Might it be the cable? Graphic card? Driver? (will try with different ones later)
post #4 of 5 Old 11-30-2009, 09:05 AM

I have the same issue you describe with my SONY KDL-40XBR2. The picture just does not seem to be smooth.

I tried all settings on my TV, but it must be the HTPC.
post #5 of 5 Old 11-30-2009, 06:47 PM

What would be the best resolution to set on the TV?
My Picture looks good except when the camera moves i have a stutter.

I have a sony kdl-40xbr2 and have it set right now to 1080p 59Hz.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page