Getting MKV subtitles to work in MPC-HC - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 12-09-2009, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I am having trouble getting subtitles to work in MPC-HC. The option is greyed out when playing back an MKV file. It appears by discussion in other threads that I'm not along in this. While one suggestion was to use VLC instead, I'd tried that previously and didn't like the performance. VLC playback of 1080 MKV sans HW acceleration is a bit of a drag, and it just cripples my HTPC for other tasks, and that's no small statement considering I have a 2.6 Quad htpc.

I do have the subs in the mkv files which I used Another eac3to GUI to extract. If it is still possible I have done something wrong in the ripping process, I don't really mind doing the movies over (though this time I'll have to use the disks cause I already erased the ISOs, no batching overnight).

Honestly, I don't know what to add here. I'm using MPC-HC for playback. All else is flawless. Video and Audio are superb, performance is without equal. I have loaded the latest JRE and done the cleanup utility for that as well. Both the Jar and the extracted Jar files are in the folder for the subs, I forget the name of it) and eac3to points at it. I have done both BR and DVD movies and all MKVs work fine.

I will re-install VLC after dinner tonight to prove to myself beyond doubt that the titles are in there and playable, but I already know the playback stutters bad for me in that so using it, even if this works, is not really an option for me on my system.

My OS is WinXP SP2. And yes I've searched, literally for weeks.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-09-2009, 03:00 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
You didn't mention that you did the sub2sup transcode, which I believe is a necessary step. That may be it.
post #3 of 6 Old 12-09-2009, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yea, that's the thing I didn't remember the name of. I have eac3to pointed at it, and loaded the appropriate JRE for it, but, I have no idea if it works or not. I assume that it works cause I have subtitles in the mkv files, but if it needs that to display them after the fact, then I suppose it's possible I'm not using it. I do not see anywhere in the MPC options where I can tell it the location of those files. If it knows them already, I'd be surprised, since there's no "install" for that.
post #4 of 6 Old 12-09-2009, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Any help here http://www.videohelp.com/forum/archi...c-t355233.html

I am messing around with MPC HC on my craptop and in options/playback/output it says that you must use VMR9 (or 7) to make subtitles work. I enabled it and sure enough it ungrayed the subtitles selections and I was able to enable the tracks, the only thing is it didn't show the subs????? Maybe because of my underpowered craptop

I must stress that I don't know what I doing, I'm just messing to try and solve an interesting problem.

BB
edit found this http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=123537
excerpt
DXVA Support:

Modern video graphics card have the possibility to decode partially or completely a video using DirectX Video Acceleration (DXVA) and reduces CPU usage. MPC - HC has an embedded video decoder using this technology to decode H.264, VC-1 video. Unfortunately this decoder supports for the moment only bitstream mode, which means that only most recent graphic cards are supported.

* ATI Radeon™ HD, ATI HD3850/3870/4850/4870/5800, AMD Hybrid CrossFireX™ 780G series for H.264 & VC-1
* nVidia GeForce 8500, 8600, 9600 or better

DXVA is quite susceptible, so if you want to use it you have to respect those rules:

* Windows XP, Vista and 7
* For Windows XP users, select Overlay Mixer, WMR7(9) or VMR7(9) Renderless
* For Vista users, select EVR or EVR Custom
* For DXVA and subtitles support select VMR7(9) Renderless or EVR Custom.
* Video decoder should be connected directly to the renderer. This means that no intermediate filters such as DirectVobSub or ffdshow can be inserted between decoder and video renderer.
* DXVA compliant x264 encoded files.

BB

New wealth is created in 2 ways:
You dig it from the ground (mining and oil)
Or you grow it (fishing, farming and forestry).
Everything else is just processing what you dug up or grew.
post #5 of 6 Old 12-09-2009, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
For MKV's with MPC-HC I always install directvobsub (auto-loading version) filter.

Mike
post #6 of 6 Old 12-10-2009, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

BB, I have the 4870 so I'm good there. I was running VRM9 and switched to VMR7 last night. No deal. I also tried VLC, none there either. I must be missing something and I see Mike has something for me to try so I'll give that a shot.

Thanks guys, I'll check into this more this evening.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page