EDID information not being passed? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 12-10-2009, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
(cross posted from AV Receiver forum, based on suggestion by another poster)

I seem to be stuck among multiple manufacturers and need help in identifying and resolving my issue.

First, my setup:

1. Intel Mac Mini with Boot Camp/Windows 7 and Intel Graphics 945 chipset.
2. The Mini is connected to Denon AVR 2310CI via a DVI-to-HDMI cable and the optical audio.
3. The Denon sends the video to the Sony HDTV (KDL 40VL130) via HDMI.

When I start my computer, the display is blank. I see "Starting Windows" and then when the login screen is supposed to show, I see nothing. I can Remote Desktop into the computer and do everything just fine. Just fyi, the "Screen Resolution" window shows Denon AVR identified as the display device.

If I uninstall the graphics driver and restart, I can see the login screen at 800x600 but when I log in and try to change the resolution to 1920x1080, same issue - the display goes blank.

I have tried connecting the Mini directly to the TV and all has been fine. I can see 1920x1080 and in the Windows "Screen Resolution" properties I see Sony HDTV identified properly.

I have talked with Denon customer support and they said it is Intel's problem. I have talked with Intel customer support and they say it is Denon's problem in that it is unable to send the EDID information from the TV to the chipset.

I tried setting all BitBashingSupport registry entries to FF and still could not change the resolution. I could go a bit more (like 1280x768 or something like that), but not to 1920x1080. Intel's notification window pop up keeps coming up and saying the computer is not at an optimal resolution and that the res should be set to 1920x1080.

Is there a way to make the EDID information available to the Mini?

BTW, looks like it is a Windows-only problem. When I boot into the Mac OS X on the Mini, I can see 1080p just fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 12-10-2009, 02:23 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Here.

EDID Overrides (capture, install/uninstall, troubleshooting)
post #3 of 19 Old 12-10-2009, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulli View Post

Here.

Thanks Tulli!

I was able to do everything as specified in the steps in that thread. After reboot, same issue - the picture is boxed and it is at 1280x960. The display now does show DENON-AVAMP (EDID override) but I cannot change the resolution.

When I choose the 1920x1080 on the resolution "slider" (Right click on desktop>Screen Resolution>Resolution), it allows me to choose it and in fact says it is "recommended". But after I choose it, if I don't press Apply for a few seconds, the resolution switches back to 1280x960.

What is HDAV (referring to instructions on your thread)?
post #4 of 19 Old 12-10-2009, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Here.

Another update - I connected the mini directly to the TV and created a new .inf file. Now it says SONY TV.

That still did not work. I cannot see the display when I set it to 1920x1080 :-(
post #5 of 19 Old 12-11-2009, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Here.

Tulli,

Thoughts?
post #6 of 19 Old 12-12-2009, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Here.

Has anyone got the edid override to work? Amy tips to what may be going on in my case?
post #7 of 19 Old 12-12-2009, 09:53 AM
AVS Club Gold

Hi, sorry but've been unplugged for a while.

From what I gather problem is not the EDID then, as you even connected to the Sony TV and still couldn't change to 1920x1080.

It then should be a limitation or bug in the Boot Camp/Win 7/Intel driver implementation. You'll have to find out.

If it's simply the driver then of course just grab the latest 945 driver on Intel site.

post #8 of 19 Old 12-12-2009, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Hi, sorry but've been unplugged for a while.

From what I gather problem is not the EDID then, as you even connected to the Sony TV and still couldn't change to 1920x1080.

It then should be a limitation or bug in the Boot Camp/Win 7/Intel driver implementation. You'll have to find out.

If it's simply the driver then of course just grab the latest 945 driver on Intel site.

Thanks Tulli.

When I connect the Sony TV directly I am able to see the 1080p res just fine. What I meant to say is I tried getting the override inf file created from that direct connection as well as Via the Denon. Neither of them worked.

:-(
post #9 of 19 Old 12-12-2009, 11:16 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by usctrojan98 View Post
Thanks Tulli.

When I connect the Sony TV directly I am able to see the 1080p res just fine. What I meant to say is I tried getting the override inf file created from that direct connection as well as Via the Denon. Neither of them worked.

OK, so it's definitely an EDID issue. There's a problem wih parsing the HD resolutions in the extension block by the Intel driver. So just capturing your AVR EDID and doing the EDID override won't help.

Try using the EDID I use for my Denon 988 and see if it works. Otherwise try the Onkyo 906 EDID I attach too. It won't matter if it's Onkyo's as it will "fool" the Intel driver maybe by making it parse the HD specs right this time.

I attach both files.

Note: uninstall the previous override from Device Manager-> Monitors and make sure you tick the option to delete the current driver.

TX-NR906.zip 1.1767578125k . file

Denon_MOD.zip 1.1630859375k . file

post #10 of 19 Old 12-12-2009, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

OK, so it's definitely an EDID issue. There's a problem wih parsing the HD resolutions in the extension block by the Intel driver. So just capturing your AVR EDID and doing the EDID override won't help.

Try using the EDID I use for my Denon 988 and see if it works. Otherwise try the Onkyo 906 EDID I attach too. It won't matter if it's Onkyo's as it will "fool" the Intel driver maybe by making it parse the HD specs right this time.

I attach both files.

Note: uninstall the previous override from Device Manager-> Monitors and make sure you tick the option to delete the current driver.

Ok Tulli.

I tried both the options and the experience is somewhat different. The display is still not there, but now I see the display sort of switching (slowly) between "no display" and the "DENON" screen. What I mean by "no display" is Sony's blank screen where it shows HDMI1 as the input chosen. After a few seconds the screen switches to DENON screen which is simply a black screen with DENON written.

During the startup I am also unable to immediately Remote Desktop to the computer (unlike just after uninstalling the monitor driver and having a Generic PnP Monitor).

Also, one more thing - when I tried "update driver" after installing the Onkyo inf, it "updated" it to a Generic PnP driver.

post #11 of 19 Old 12-12-2009, 03:55 PM
AVS Club Gold

Is HDMI set to "AMP" on the Denon?

If you see the "Generic PnP Monitor" then update the driver again, then reboot. It should always show the EDID Override driver if it's going to work at all.

Well, I only have those 2 EDIDs. I'm quite surprised that the Onkyo EDID didn't work. Could still be an issue with the implementation of Boot Camp.

post #12 of 19 Old 12-12-2009, 04:40 PM
AVS Club Gold

BTW checksum was wrong in the Denon_MOD.inf I sent. Don't think it matters but I attach the fixed driver just in case.

Denon_MOD.zip 1.1630859375k . file

post #13 of 19 Old 12-13-2009, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

BTW checksum was wrong in the Denon_MOD.inf I sent. Don't think it matters but I attach the fixed driver just in case.

Thanks Tulli.

I noticed after selecting/installing the Onkyo or the Denon_MOD, my mini fails to restart properly (something related to that, I mentioned above with regard to not being able to remote desktop immediately after it starts up).

To the point that I have to unplug the mini and replug it back to restart it.

I have a couple of options to try out now - get another 1080p display and see how it behaves when connected the exact same way, and second is to try to connect a pure windows laptop with DVI output and see how that behaves.

Will try the first one later today (easier to get a display than a Windows laptop with DVI :-) ).

Anything else you can think of?
post #14 of 19 Old 12-13-2009, 09:45 AM
AVS Club Gold

You should not have any issues with restart after applying the EDID override.

I'd be surprised that it works with another display, as the issue is supposedly bad EDID extension block HD video descriptors parsing by the Intel 945 driver.

If you want a 100% safe solution buy a Gefen HDMI or DVI Detective Plus (~$100). This device comes with some standard pre-configured EDID that should work with the Intel driver. Connect it of course between the mini and the Denon.

post #15 of 19 Old 12-13-2009, 02:26 PM
AVS Club Gold

Well, just by sheer coincidence another poster had a similar issue with intel IGP + the EDID Override.

So it would seem that the EDID Override does not work for these Intel IGPs.

post #16 of 19 Old 12-13-2009, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Well, just by sheer coincidence another poster had a similar issue with intel IGP + the EDID Override.

So it would seem that the EDID Override does not work for these Intel IGPs.

Yes, that is probably correct because especially the Denon_MOD and the Onkyo ones did not "stick".

I had created two inf files - one with the computer connected via the Denon and another with the computer connected directly to the TV. Both of them seem to "stick" after reboots and automatic windows updates, but they end up with the symptoms the other poster experienced - blank screen.

One thing I am unable to do is work on the driver updates connected to the computer as opposed to via Remote Desktop. Since I cannot see the screen, I have to run these updates and overrides through Remote Desktop and that may be conflicting, perhaps?

In order to eliminate that, I thought if there is a display that can show me a screen it would help, and also having a Windows laptop connected instead of the mac may help in identifying if the problem is with Boot Camp somehow.

It would sure be a huge bummer if I cannot override these Intel chips :-(
post #17 of 19 Old 12-16-2009, 06:57 AM - Thread Starter

After doing another experiment, I have come to this state - no matter what I do, the resolution stays at 1280x960 and does not fill up the screen.

The experiment I tried (though I don't think it had to do with the current state, but who knows?) was this:

1. Connect mini directly to the TV. Start moninfo and create an .inf file (sony.inf).
2. Keep focus on moninfo and connect the mini to the denon without connecting the display back. Click F5 to get the denon info.
3. Connect display back and without refreshing or anything, create another .inf (denon.inf).
4. Merge contents by taking the override info from sony.inf and replacing it in the denon.inf and saving it as sonydenon.inf.
5. Update display driver with sonydenon.inf.

I even tried the other way (denonsony.inf).

Now, even if I uninstall the driver and it goes back to Generic PnP Monitor, the resolution stays at 1280x960 and I see thick black border on the sides and a thin one at the top.

Does it make the light at the end of the tunnel a little brighter for me?
post #18 of 19 Old 12-16-2009, 07:53 AM
AVS Club Gold

Well, I took this post of Archibael as an implicit confirmation that current Intel IGPs cannot be EDID overriden.

So it remains to explore the traditional solution. See here for details.

post #19 of 19 Old 12-16-2009, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Well, I took this post of Archibael as an implicit confirmation that current Intel IGPs cannot be EDID overriden.

So it remains to explore the traditional solution. See here for details.

Sigh, I went through that and realized that under "tuning" I could only make the screen size/layout smaller and not bigger. The problem I have is that the picture is occupying only a portion of my TV screen whereas it can go way more on the sides and a bit more on the top and bottom. The Tuning section of DTDCalc allows me to bring the picture into a smaller area if there is overscan.

Sadly, not the case.

I will wait for a BootCamp update sometime at the end of the year (as Apple stated earlier when Windows 7 was released). Meanwhile, will try to narrow it down to Boot Camp by trying another Win7 computer with HDMI out.

BTW, special thanks to you Tulli for diligently following up on my posts. I greatly appreciate it!
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page