Best Format To Rip Movies For MediaPortal? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 12-14-2009, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am currently hoping to get my own HTPC running with MediaPortal. One of the main things I will use this for is to organise my DVD (and soon to include Bluray) collection.
As the ripping process may take a fair while and I want to do it in the most efficient and organised way, I thought I would post post on this forum for some advice.

Is there a particular file format which works especially well with MediaPortal? I would like to use ffdshow to up-scale these ripped movies so again, is there a particular file format you would suggest for this use with this?
Also, should I organise the way I store the movies in a specific way (as in, how I organise the folders)

Finally, what Ripping program would you suggest for my purpose? Something fast would be preferable.

Thanks in advance,

James
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-14-2009, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
H264 is a slick format, quality is excellent for file size.
post #3 of 7 Old 12-14-2009, 08:19 PM

+1 x264 and NOT FFDshow for the decode. There are better codecs for the purpose.

DVDfab's or Slysoft's offerings would probably be two of the more popular for the rip.

Handbrake for the encode maybe?
post #4 of 7 Old 12-14-2009, 08:37 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 374
Pure ripping (video format remains the same MPEG-2, very quick, < 15 min per DVD disc) or video re-encoding (takes a longer time, could be much smaller in file size)?

File format? Are you referring to DVD folder/container (file extension such as MKV, VOB, AVI) or video codec (typically H.264 when re-encoded)?

MediaPortal supports a broad range of containers fine as well as DVD folders and you can use virtually any DirectShow video decoder.

If you want menus, use DVDShrink/DVDFab for DVD folders. If you want a sinlge file, MKV by MakeMKV is a nice option (no re-encoding is involved).

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 Old 12-23-2009, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Anyone know if there's a ripping/transcoding script/plugin/front end to rip DVDs WITHIN MediaPortal? I'm really looking for a Kaleidescape type experience (rip from within the front end) but the ability to strip down to the feature and transcode to h.264 would be nice.

There's this one such plugin available for XBMC which will do full ISO only in Windows, or transcode in Linux... but I'm considering switching to MediaPortal for native DXVA in Windows and easier MCE remote setup.

post #6 of 7 Old 12-23-2009, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Hopkins View Post

Anyone know if there's a ripping/transcoding script/plugin/front end to rip DVDs WITHIN MediaPortal? I'm really looking for a Kaleidescape type experience (rip from within the front end) but the ability to strip down to the feature and transcode to h.264 would be nice.

There's this one such plugin available for XBMC which will do full ISO only in Windows, or transcode in Linux... but I'm considering switching to MediaPortal for native DXVA in Windows and easier MCE remote setup.

yes... there's a plugin called MediaSlayer which does it. Check the Repository.
post #7 of 7 Old 12-23-2009, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by etheesdad View Post

yes... there's a plugin called MediaSlayer which does it. Check the Repository.

Perfect. Thanks!

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page