Losing HDMI on Vizio LCD after switching inputs - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 23 Old 12-20-2009, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey all.

I have a problem here I can't figure out. I am new with the HTPC thing so be kind.

I just got a Revo 3610 w ION processor running Windows 7 Home Premium & have it hooked up to my 52" HDCP Compliant Vizio LCD over HDMI. I get video @ 1920x1080 & Full Audio. I also upgraded Flash to the 10.1 beta so it can offload to the ION GPU. Everything works great.

My problem is this. When I switch the inputs on the TV to something else and then go back to the input the Revo HTPC is on the Vizio doesn't see the signal. It gives me a Blue screen saying "No Signal". Now if I put the Revo HTPC to sleep & wake it up I then can see the Revo HTPC. I am getting tired of having to put the Revo HTPC to sleep & wake it up just to see a picture over the HDMI connection.

Anybody have any solutions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 12-21-2009, 06:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 31
It is a relatively common problem.

Search around here for handshake issue and/or DVI Detective or DVI Doctor (yes, I know you said you are running HDMI, but just search for those terms and you will start to understand what the problem is and some of the ways to address it.

-Suntan
post #3 of 23 Old 12-21-2009, 06:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
I strongly suspect that the problem is on the Revo. end as it does not appear to be in a "standby" mode and therfore is not responding to a connection check when you change input sources on the Vizio.
I do not have this problem with my Vizio and I have not seen reported before as a Vizio problem.
post #4 of 23 Old 12-21-2009, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

I have an HTPC with the DG45ID mobo and have not seen this problem with my Vizio (VX32L).

I'd make sure you're on the latest BIOS and video drivers for the Revo.
post #5 of 23 Old 12-21-2009, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

I looked into the HDCP issue and I thought in Windows 7 the HDCP was only sent over the HDMI connection when there is copy protected material running. This happens even with the standard Windows 7 desktop is up and no copy protected content is being viewed. If it is a handshake issue I really don't want to spend $60-$70 for a DVI-Detective especially since I'm not sure that would fix it. I hate this HDCP crap and we have the movie studios to thank for this mess.

I have the latest drivers on the Revo. I updated to the newest nVidia drivers thinking that may be the problem but it still happens. I'm gonna pull my hair out...
post #6 of 23 Old 12-21-2009, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

You could try to use moninfo to create new edid data, as explained here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post17448181

You could also try connecting to another TV to see if it is a compatibility issue with your ION and that particular TV.
post #7 of 23 Old 12-21-2009, 03:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I do not think it is an HDCP issue. AFAIK Blu-ray disks are the only currnt media that currently require HDCP support over DVI/HDMI.
post #8 of 23 Old 12-21-2009, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kegobeer View Post

You could try to use moninfo to create new edid data, as explained here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post17448181

I dowloaded MONINFO, installed & ran it. It saw my Vizio hooked up to it so I had it create a .inf for it. Then I updated the Monitor driver to this new driver. I got my hopes up but I still have the problem. Whenever I switch inputs I can't go back to the HDMI port the TV is hooked up to. I also updated the graphic driver from nVidia to the latest beta one and that makes no difference.

I don't have another TV with HDMI to test it out to isolated it to being a TV problem or a problem with the Revo.
post #9 of 23 Old 12-22-2009, 05:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Although I don't have problems switching inputs when using my Zotac IONITX-G-E Atom 330, I did have a problem with HDMI not waking up after sleep. I checked my BIOS and found that ACPI 2.0 wasn't enabled; I had a 1.xx version enabled. I switched to 2.0, rebooted, and haven't had a problem with sleep since. If you don't have ACPI 2.0 enabled, try enabling it to see if it helps. FYI - if you don't have ACPI enabled at all, I believe you'll have to reinstall Windows (you can switch versions without having to reinstall).
post #10 of 23 Old 12-22-2009, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kegobeer View Post

Although I don't have problems switching inputs when using my Zotac IONITX-G-E Atom 330, I did have a problem with HDMI not waking up after sleep. I checked my BIOS and found that ACPI 2.0 wasn't enabled; I had a 1.xx version enabled. I switched to 2.0, rebooted, and haven't had a problem with sleep since. If you don't have ACPI 2.0 enabled, try enabling it to see if it helps. FYI - if you don't have ACPI enabled at all, I believe you'll have to reinstall Windows (you can switch versions without having to reinstall).

I have 2 version of ACPI on the BIOS & I tried them both. It happens also if I switch to another input & immediately try to switch back so it is before anything goes to sleep. I have sleep/hibernate turned off altogether.
post #11 of 23 Old 12-22-2009, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 137
It's an EDID (Extended Display Identification Data) issue, not an HDCP problem. There are numerous threads that discuss the problem as it is something that's been around for a long time. You'll need a DVI Doctor (monoprice.com) or DVI Detective (Gefen.com) to fix it. I believe there are also HDMI versions now available.

Do a google search for EDID if you can't find a thread here that explains it.
post #12 of 23 Old 12-22-2009, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post

It's an EDID (Extended Display Identification Data) issue, not an HDCP problem. There are numerous threads that discuss the problem as it is something that's been around for a long time. You'll need a DVI Doctor (monoprice.com) or DVI Detective (Gefen.com) to fix it. I believe there are also HDMI versions now available.

Do a google search for EDID if you can't find a thread here that explains it.

I created a new Monitor Profile to overide the EDID & I still have the problem. What would a DVI device have to do with my HDMI port? Isn't DVI essentially HDMI without audio on a different connector. If it changes to DVI won't I lose my audio out of the Revo's HDMI port then? The HDMI version is $130. I don't understand why this doesn't work out of the box. HDMI is a standard and the connectors are on both devices.

Is it a problem with the display device or the Revo? When a HDMI handshake is broken (eg switching inputs on the TV) how is it re-established. Does the PC send out a signal or does the Display device send out a signal with it's display properties?
post #13 of 23 Old 12-22-2009, 01:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Yes you would loose it.
post #14 of 23 Old 12-22-2009, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Do you know anyone with a TV that has an HDMI input? At this point, trying a new display would be great for troubleshooting.
post #15 of 23 Old 12-22-2009, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter

OK. I think I figured out the problem. It seems to be a PEBKAC error. Actually what I did was plugged in the HDMI cable from the Revo into a different HDMI port on the Vizio. It is mounted on the wall so it was a pain to get to.

It seems to be working fine on this other HDMI input. I tried changing inputs about a dozen times and it always displayed the Revo when going back to it. That is the way it should be.

It seems weird that the other port displayed the HDMI correctly but it wouldn't handshake when switched back to that input. Really wonky.

Hopefully this issue is solved and I can rest easy.

Thanks everybody for your suggestions and help. I really appreciate it.

P.S. If I get some inclination I will put the HDMI cable into the original port to see if it works. Right now I am going to leave well enough alone though.
post #16 of 23 Old 01-04-2010, 12:45 PM

I am battling a very similar situation....
P5N7A-VM Windows VistaMC(SP2) on a VizioHD (don't have model number right now). Father in law's system. His TV has 3 HDMI inputs where he has his computer in one (HDMI audio and video), Dish box in another. He also has some other composite and component inputs. System works pretty good with one HUGE exception. When he changes input on the TV to any other source and then back to the computer HDMI input... The computer loses the HDMI audio. The device is listed as unplugged. I can confirm that it does not matter if it is playing protected content or just on the desktop. The work around seems to be either sleep the computer and wake it up again (with mixed results) or reboot. Latest drivers and bios for all. He claims this problem is new and did not happen the first month he had the thing. Not sure if a driver update caused or what. So does he need DVI doctor or will the monitor inf help with hdmi audio too? I will post Vizio model soon. I know it's a 50" and I believe less than 1 year old.
I fought with this thing for him the better part of Christmas break with no luck. I switch the HDMI inputs around and thought it fixed it for about 10 minutes then the problem came right back.
Any help would be appreciated.
post #17 of 23 Old 01-04-2010, 12:47 PM

ZonComGMZ did this happen from day one? or did it just seem to start recently?
post #18 of 23 Old 01-04-2010, 01:06 PM

Also to answer your earlier question about striping audio off. The old version of DVI doctor/detective were DVI... but the new ones are HDMI.

http://www.gefen.com/kvm/dproduct.jsp?prod_id=8005

But I can't justify asking to spend another $129 just to make something work right that should have worked right out of the box. Though I'm quite sure this would fix the problem it seems like an expensive hardware fix that should be software fixed from Vizio or NVidia.
post #19 of 23 Old 01-04-2010, 04:40 PM

Had a similar problem myself. PC in hdmi out to Marantz recieve then back to a samsung lcd TV. It is a matter of luck if you ask me. Tried everything you guys mention, and nothing was 100%. For several weeks, no problem with switching back and force, then all of a sudden the TV says no signal. Switching hdmi ports made no difference. After months of toying with this, i found you can try the following: With everything turned on, unplug your PC monitor. The TV should pop back on. Then plug your monitor back in. THen hopefully both will stay on as extended desk top. You may have to repeat this 3 to 4 times before both will stay on. Usually, the PC mon pops back on and the TV is no signal. 2nd method: unplug your tv, not just turn off, but unplug the thing, wait ten minutes. Then replug and start over. So far these two method has worked for me. And yes, i can't explain it. But it consistant work for me. I have learned not to question it.

Also, i find this problem less likely to occur with a newer TV, my new samsung works a lot better than my older philips.
post #20 of 23 Old 01-07-2010, 08:37 PM

I am having a very similar problem w/ revo 3610 windows 7 and a Vizio vu42l. I just got the revo and have never used hdmi ports on my vizio. It doesn't happen every time I switch inputs but it happened once after revo came out of stand by and once when I switched inputs to component and tried to use pip w/ hmdi. Both instances resulted in the hdmi input saying no signal. Switching hdmi ports did not solve this. The onlyway I could get it to work again was to use remote desktop and log into revo and then tell it to restart. As soon as the revo restarted hmdi screen came up w/ the revo's initial start up screen.

I will try leaving it plugged into hdmi 1 instead of 2 and see if this solves it (switching during the no signal time did not solve the problem) Since it is so infrequent (few days apart), I suspect ZonComGMZ may run into this again.

I really hope this can be solved.
post #21 of 23 Old 01-08-2010, 08:34 AM

Turns out I have the exact same problem as the original poster. I don't know how I didn't realize this at first, but when ever I change away from the HDMI input with the aspire revo I can't go back. The only way to get signal back is to restart the Revo or wait a really long time (over night) and then press a key and the signal comes back.

I think it is an HDCP problem as suggested. Only other people I have seen talk about this are those that put linux / XBMC on their revo. I may look into buying the hardware suggested but it seems there would be a windows 7 program that could force the Revo the redo the handshake?

I tried dekisoft monitor off utility which will turn monitors off when a keystroke is pressed but this did not fix the problem.

Thanks
post #22 of 23 Old 01-08-2010, 10:29 AM

I have found one solution that I guess resets the handshake. Basically If I create a shortcut to a video and then create a shortcut hot key for it, I can press the hot key when I get "no signal" and after a few secs video and audio will be back. Pretty bootleg but faster solution I have found so far.

Thanks to friskyweasel's post at bottom of hardforum[dot com]/showthread.php?t=1429540 for the idea. (replace [dot] with a .com)
post #23 of 23 Old 01-08-2010, 11:19 AM

I have had a problem similar to this when coming out of standby on occasion with my older Samsung plasma. I did a short write-up on how I resolved my issue here. I suppose it's not much different than what has already been posted, but I don't use HDMI audio, so not much help there.

Jon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page