My HTPC Story Suggestions Welcome - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 12-30-2009, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

I am new to the forum and glad I came across it.Sadly most HTPC forums are not very active these days.I just wanted to introduce myself and list my current build and ask for suggestions on a few points.

First things first.Here is my current build which I put together on quite a budget.I wanted something to replace my video game consoles and serve as a single HTPC/Gaming/Video Editing/Music Production PC.I know it sounds like ALOT to ask but I recently moved into a much smaller room in a house downtown and needed to conserve space.Here goes:

Thermaltake Bach HTPC Case (great looking, affordable and fits full length Video Card + I installed the temp LCD from my old case in the front panel)

ASUS M378PRO Motherboard (very acceptable onboard audio)

AMD Phenom 2.33ghz QuadCore

8GB Corsair ram (4x2GB sticks)

Lite-on Sata DVD-RW DL Drive (would like to add bluray soon)

Seagate Cheetah 7200rpm 500gb Sata Hard drive (definitely needs an increase)

EVGA GTX 260 Core 216 896mb DDR3 Video card (needed this for my display)

Power Up 550 watt power supply

Generic analog Tv Tuner (not the best but I got it for free out of an old Dell)

Linksys wmp11 wifi PCI card (Very slow but another freebie)

Xbox 360 Wireless controller receiver (will be mounted internally soon)

Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit

Display: Dell 3007wfp-hc 30" 2560X1600

There it is.It took a lot of bargaining and scrounging but after 6 months it is finally complete.The reason I am so drawn to HTPCs is that they can change with you so drastically.I initially had this system connected to a 42" 1080p lcd TV and had good results.My move however required a downsize which meant losing the TV and getting rid of my Powermac w/ two 20" cinema displays.I sold those, picked up the Dell, did some upgrades and now I have a machine that replaced my 360, PS3 and PowerMac.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to improve this build? I am definitely planning on getting a Blu-Ray drive but I may wait til burners drop in price.I could aslo really use a better tuner.Does anyone have any suggestions for a very affordable digital HD tuner?

Thank you everyone for the interest.I will post pictures if anyone would like.I am you're average working guy so a lot of creative financing went into this built and I am very proud of it but always looking for refinements.

Thanks
RichardSkary

Namaste