converting NTSC to ATSC or QAM signal - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-02-2010, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was shopping around for a tuner card for my computer and came across HD Homerun dual tuner. Thought it was a great idea to watch TV off my network and watch from any computer in my house. The only problem is that I bought it before I THOUGHT I knew the difference between ATSC, QAM, and NTSC signals.
The HD Homerun picks up ATSC and QAM signals. Now tells me if I am wrong but my direct TV receiver outputs a NTSC signal. My friend has a older NTSC tuner card and has his computer hooked up to his Dish network receiver.
But everytime time the subject comes up on the Silicondust forums, they say HD homerun tuner does not pickup encrypted signals.
I am not trying to hook up my tuner directly to the dish (duuuhhhh!!). I am hooking up the receiver to the tuner. I just need to found a way to convert the signal from a NTSC to ATSC or QAM right?? And if so how??? Some type of ATSC or QAM RF modulator???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-02-2010, 07:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
ATSC, QAM and NTSC are modulations used by the different providers to deliver a signal to your house. You cannot convert an NTSC modulation to QAM or ATSC, you need to purchase the appropriate tuner that can tune/capture the appropriate modulation.

ATSC modulation is used by local terrestrial broadcasts and you need an antenna to pick it up and you need to be within a certain range of the broadcast tower (usually less than 70 miles or so based on terrain). ATSC modulation carries a digital signal.

QAM modulation is used by cable companies (time warner, comcast etc..). It is used to carry a digital signal along a coax cable wire. You must subscribe to cable and have the cable directly connected to a QAM tuner card to receive the signal. The problem is most cable companies encrypt this signal thus forcing people to rent their set top boxes to be able to decrypt. The only channels that can be viewed with a QAM tuner card are channels not encrypted (also called ClearQAM).

NTSC modulation has been replaced by ATSC for terrestrial broadcasts here in the US. It is still used by some cable companies (along with QAM) to carry analog channels. It is also outputted by set top boxes via S-video, component, composite and RF.

Dish network uses none of the above. It uses another modulation called DVB (Digital Video Broadcasts). It is a digital signal but you must use their set top box for decryption. Once the signal has been decrypted by the set top box it is converted to NTSC for output through the component, s-video etc..

What you need is a NTSC capture card that will allow you to capture the NTSC signal coming out of your set top box. The irony is that you start out with a digital signal (DVB), it is then converted to NTSC (analog) and then you need to convert it back to digital by the use of a capture card to make use of it in the computer.
post #3 of 5 Old 01-02-2010, 08:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 151
The only ATSC modulator I know of is the ZVBox.

Is your DirecTV STB an HD box? If so, you probably want the Hauppauge HD PVR.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #4 of 5 Old 01-02-2010, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Capturing PAY TV in HD is still a challenge for HTPC users.
post #5 of 5 Old 01-02-2010, 09:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Now that the HD PVR is out, it's not much harder than anything else. You just need an STB and an IR blaster.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page