How do YOU rip your Blu-rays? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 152 Old 01-03-2010, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I know there are already some threads covering this topic (including JiffOrange's great thread), but I'm wondering what the general consensus is out there? I'm just starting the phase now of ripping my Blu-ray collection and trying to decide the way I want to go. I'm not really an "extras" guy, so I'm really only interested in the main movie and lossless audio. I don't currently have the capability to play HD audio, but I'm thinking I should rip that for future-proofing. I'd like to keep the video uncompressed, but after I just tried ripping a Blu-ray using DVDFab with movie only (and HD and core audio) the m2ts file was still 28 GBs, so I might be open to at least seeing what a compressed h264 encode might look like and if I can really see a difference. So I think my next experiment will be to use MakeMKV and then figure out how to encode it to h264. I do have about 2TBs of space to work with, but at 30GBs/movie, that can fill up quickly!

So what methods are you guys out there using?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 152 Old 01-03-2010, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

You can compress Blu_ray quite a bit w/o too much loss in PQ. I've seen samples of where people have shrunk one down to 1.5GB (at 720P) and is still looks great considering the filesize. It was an H264 if I recall correctly.
post #3 of 152 Old 01-03-2010, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
I rip the main movie with eac3to, creating the chapter file, the mkv file, the flac audio file, and the subtitle files. Next, I run the subtitles through BDSup2Sub to find any forced subtitles. Finally, I use mkmerge to put the mkv, flac, chapter, and any forced subtitle files together into a mkv file. I don't try to shrink the video, so I can't offer any suggestions there. My rips are usually around the 20-30GB range, depending on the length of the feature.
post #4 of 152 Old 01-03-2010, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Servicetech571 View Post

You can compress Blu_ray quite a bit w/o too much loss in PQ. I've seen samples of where people have shrunk one down to 1.5GB (at 720P) and is still looks great considering the filesize. It was an H264 if I recall correctly.

And what about lossless sound? Might as well stick with DVD if you're going to do that.

In terms of LFE, size does matter!
post #5 of 152 Old 01-03-2010, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Servicetech571 View Post

It really depends on the size of your TV and how close you sit to it. If you have a relatively small screen (40" to 50") and/or you sit across the room from it, then yes you can compress it quite a bit without a noticeable degrading of PQ. If you sit really close or have a larger TV, then re-compression can be unsatisfying. Although I agree with the person above, if you're going to recompress the bajesus out of it, why bother with Blu rays anyway when DVDs are much less hassle.

As to the OP, I use AnyDVD and Clown BD to rip the Main movie and the main Audio track (and forced subs if they are not burned in.) The main reason I use AnyDVD is to get rid of menus and their associated forced previews, etc.

-Suntan
post #6 of 152 Old 01-03-2010, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Yeah 1.5 GB for a full length movie sounds way too compressed to me. I did try an MKV (h264) 1080p movie that was about 10 GBs that looked very good on my 64" Pioneer Elite RPTV, but couldn't A-B it.
post #7 of 152 Old 01-03-2010, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I rip with EAC3to and the HDBRstreamextractor GUI. I have been ripping the DTS-MA HD or TrueHD audio to FLAC. I may keep the formats and bitstream in the future. But for now it's lossless FLAC.

I load the subs into bdsup2sub to find any forced subs. If there are any I export the files.

Next step is I may re-encode in ripbot with CQ-18 and automatic crop and build any forced subs into the image that may exist.

Next, whether I have re-encoded or not, I will merge it all together with MKVmerge.

HTPC: Intel e6300 2.8ghz, Intel DG45ID, 2gb DDR2, Radeon 5570, MCE IR receiver, Yamaha RX-V663 receiver via HDMI, panasonic ax100u, 145" S-I-L-V-E-R painted screen, 2x Roku 3's, chromecast, Amazon Fire TV, Vizio M602i-B3
post #8 of 152 Old 01-03-2010, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

DVDFAB, is just as easy as 'shrink" in the old days now that they have BD+ removal working. A true on click solution!
post #9 of 152 Old 01-03-2010, 03:10 PM

I just started doing this as well. Hard drive space is getting cheaper and I sit about 7.5 feet from my 92inch screen, so I am not interested in compressing - not to mention the time it takes to actually compress, which can easily be 4+ hours per movie.

My process is:
1. have AnyDvd HD running.
2. use HD-DVD/Blu-ray Stream Extractor to extract the required streams:
2a. Extract chapters (as txt), main movie (as mkv), HD Audio (as FLAC), AC3 track (as AC3), English subtitles (as sup)
3. go to tagChimp.com and search for movie to get Chapter names
4. open up chapters.txt file generated from step 2 and paste in chapter names.
5. run subtitle file (from 2 above) through BDSup2Sub to look for any forced subtitles. If I find any, save the forced subs.
6. use mvkmerge GUI to remux all the tracks from step 2, plus any forced subs from step 5.
6a. Order my tracks: main movie, FLAC, AC3
6b. Specify Track names for main movie and audio tracks (this makes it easy to identify which track is which when viewing in, say, mpc) and specify the track langauge.
6c. specify flac track as Default Track Flag: Yes (this will make the flac audio track play by default)
6d. Go to the Global tab and load the chapters file, set language as english.

Done. Whole process takes about 1 - 1.5 hours depending on movie.
post #10 of 152 Old 01-03-2010, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmanhdtv View Post

DVDFAB, is just as easy as 'shrink" in the old days now that they have BD+ removal working. A true on click solution!

I tried DVDFab and it seemed to create the directory structure for the disc as well. Is the m2ts file really the only file I need? Also, when I played it back (Win7 - XBMC) it was very juttery. I'm assuming I just don't have the proper codecs installed. Haven't really looked into it yet.
post #11 of 152 Old 01-03-2010, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoHo View Post

I tried DVDFab and it seemed to create the directory structure for the disc as well. Is the m2ts file really the only file I need? Also, when I played it back (Win7 - XBMC) it was very juttery. I'm assuming I just don't have the proper codecs installed. Haven't really looked into it yet.

Are you trying to create an mkv? If so point hd-dvd/bluray stream extractor to the Stream folder in the directory structure created by DVDFab.

With Anydvd, hd-dvd/bluray stream extractor can extract the required tracks on the fly without first having to rip the bluray to your hard drive.
post #12 of 152 Old 01-03-2010, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheare View Post

Are you trying to create an mkv? If so point hd-dvd/bluray stream extractor to the Stream folder in the directory structure created by DVDFab.

With Anydvd, hd-dvd/bluray stream extractor can extract the required tracks on the fly without first having to rip the bluray to your hard drive.

Doesn't MakeMKV do that as well? (And for free...)
post #13 of 152 Old 01-03-2010, 03:50 PM

I use AnyDVD-HD and BD Rebuilder. Pretty much gives me any option I want. Rip to original ISO, movie only to BD25 (best option), DVD-9 or DVD-5. Preserve HD soundtracks, language or subs if you like. Great combination of tools for dummies like me. Use ImgBurn for reasonably priced backups to BD25 (Use Verbatim blanks for best price and quality). Pop in the movie and play, no BS menus and previews. BD25 option also saves me lots of space on HTPC or mediaServer over direct ISO copy.

"The next best thing to knowing something is knowing where to find it. "
post #14 of 152 Old 01-03-2010, 03:53 PM

ScoHo, I've never used makemkv. Can't tell from the website if you can pick and choose streams or if you have to make a mkv of the entire bluray. Or how it handles chapters and subtitles (if it does at all).
post #15 of 152 Old 01-03-2010, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Yeah I haven't tried it (yet) either, but according to the changelog it appears they added it with the latest version:

Revision history

* MakeMKV v1.4.10
o New functionality: instant video streaming
o Added support for all blu-ray HD audio tracks:
+ Dolby TrueHD
+ Dolby Digital plus (E-AC3)
+ DTS-HD
+ DTS-HD Losless (Master audio)
+ DTS-HD Low bitrate
o Corrected drive access problems on Windows (AHCI)
o Corrected "MKV_ASSERT" error on titles with many subtitle tracks
o Miscellaneous stability improvements

So with that, does that mean (whether it be with MakeMKV or AnyDVD) you could play a Blu-ray disc directly via something like XBMC, or do you still need an external player?
post #16 of 152 Old 01-03-2010, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

DVDFab cancels DRM, so you don't need AnyDVD like you would with MakeMKV.

-Suntan
post #17 of 152 Old 01-03-2010, 04:05 PM

I don't think instant video streaming means you can pick tracks. Just have to download it and give it a try.

to be clear, you don't need anydvd to use hd-dvd bluray stream extractor, you can use DVDFab first to rip the bluray and then point hd-dvd bluray stream extractor to the directory strucure that DVDFab created.

I don't know anything about xbmc, i imagine it has its own built in player? Are you running windows 7? If so, why not look at Windows Media Center and use the Media Browser plugin.
post #18 of 152 Old 01-03-2010, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

makemkv can't rip to flac and can't rip forced subs.

HTPC: Intel e6300 2.8ghz, Intel DG45ID, 2gb DDR2, Radeon 5570, MCE IR receiver, Yamaha RX-V663 receiver via HDMI, panasonic ax100u, 145" S-I-L-V-E-R painted screen, 2x Roku 3's, chromecast, Amazon Fire TV, Vizio M602i-B3
post #19 of 152 Old 01-03-2010, 05:27 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntan View Post

-Suntan

I've been using MakeMKV WITHOUT AnyDVD HD with great success. Also, now that MakeMKV rips the video, subs, and HD audio, there is no reason to spend and money on AnyDVD HD.

The only thing I'm waiting for MakeMKV to do is rip forced subs. Actually... I'm a little confused with forced subs. With MakeMKV, you can rip all of the english subs but I still have not found a way to play only the forced subs.

As far as "shrinking" the video, I use MediaCoder. Once it's setup, it truly is the easiest "shrinking" program that I've used so far. Also, there are SO MANY options to choose from.

***The movies that I shrink are shared throughout the house for fast access during our day to day. I shrink down to an averave of 10GB @ 1080p with HD audio and I can tell you that on all of the flat-panel tv's that I have, they look fantastic and my wife cannot tell the difference. As for the theater, we do NOT stream anything down there. The theater is reserved for full quality audio and video via the best source at the moment... Blu-ray.***
post #20 of 152 Old 01-03-2010, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archer75 View Post

makemkv can't rip to flac and can't rip forced subs.

What is the advantage of FLAC? Is it just file size? How much size is saved when ripping the HD audio to FLAC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucky08016 View Post

The only thing I'm waiting for MakeMKV to do is rip forced subs. Actually... I'm a little confused with forced subs. With MakeMKV, you can rip all of the english subs but I still have not found a way to play only the forced subs.

So does that mean whenever you watch a movie with forced subs you have to watch the entire movie with the English subs on or flip them on when needed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheare View Post

I don't know anything about xbmc, i imagine it has its own built in player? Are you running windows 7? If so, why not look at Windows Media Center and use the Media Browser plugin.

I'm using Windows 7 and briefly looked at WMC with the Media Browser plugin, and then looked at XBMC just to check it out and it's SO much nicer.
post #21 of 152 Old 01-03-2010, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntan View Post

-Suntan

I guess I'm pessimistic about that....Since for many new releases AnyDVD requires patches, the guys at Slysoft are really on top of that issue. I don't see how a free app could be supported so well. For now I'll stick with AnyDVD...its paid for anyway.

Mike
post #22 of 152 Old 01-03-2010, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What is the advantage of FLAC? Is it just file size? How much size is saved when ripping the HD audio to FLAC?

Well for one thing it's the only way to get true HD audio without an ATI 5XXX card, even with the card is not a walk in the park, check out the ATI5xxx thread, I'm not sure if it's working or not. My preference is to watch movies then fight to death to achieve bitstreaming.

I don't think space is much different than a DTS-HD/TrueHD Audio and FLAC Rip.

Mike
post #23 of 152 Old 01-03-2010, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So does that mean whenever you watch a movie with forced subs you have to watch the entire movie with the English subs on or flip them on when needed?

Forced subs are the english subtitles that appear when a different language is being spoken onscreen. For example, in Iron Man, while Tony Stark is being held captive, the terrorists often speak in different languages - when they do, english subtitles appear so we know what they are saying.
post #24 of 152 Old 01-03-2010, 06:34 PM

Quote:

I'm using Windows 7 and briefly looked at WMC with the Media Browser plugin, and then looked at XBMC just to check it out and it's SO much nicer.

Did you actually try to change themes in Media Browser? Diamond and Vanilla 2.0 are quite nice. You really also should get Meta Browser so you can easily add backdrops and cover art and stuff.

I know xbmc looks pretty, but so does media browser with the right themes.

Scroll down to see some screens of the Diamond themeL

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2009...1-3-0-phoenix/

Some screens of Vanilla 2.0

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2009...1-0-firestorm/

From what I understand, WMC and its plugins are a lot less hassle to configure and get working right. But I can't say for certain, as I've never used XBMC.
post #25 of 152 Old 01-03-2010, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You get 100% of the HD audio without having to jump through the hoops of hardware/software to bitstream the HD audio

Quote:

It gives you subs when people are talking in another language. In Angels and Demons it pops up alot in the beginning. Also when the aliens talk in district 9. No, it's not english subs for the entire movie. Just subs when people speak in a different language in an english movie.

Quote:

Having used both I can say I hate XBMC. And Media Browser looks just as good to me and it's 10x easier to setup. You also don't get hardware acceleration with XBMC in windows. You will with media center and media browser. No DVR in XBMC either.
Aside from that it's personal preference.

post #26 of 152 Old 01-03-2010, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kegobeer View Post

Forced subs are the english subtitles that appear when a different language is being spoken onscreen. For example, in Iron Man, while Tony Stark is being held captive, the terrorists often speak in different languages - when they do, english subtitles appear so we know what they are saying.

I realize that, but in Chuckie's post he indicated that when using MakeMKV he has no way of differentiating the forced English subtitles versus the regular non-forced English subtitles when playing back.
post #27 of 152 Old 01-03-2010, 06:43 PM

I'm lazy. I use anydvd and rip to an ISO image. Easiest and least amount of work for me.
I could care less about hard drive space as cheap as it is...
post #28 of 152 Old 01-03-2010, 06:45 PM

Why not just use DVDFab and HD-DVD/Bluray Stream Extractor? It works great, will give you the subtitle files, which you can then run through BDSup2Sub to see if there are forced subtitles.

See my process above, it may sound like a lot, but it is easy and fast. And of course you can skip the naming chapters and audio/video tracks - if you want.

Also, see this post I started a few days back on FLAC, will probably tell you everything you need to know, and then some.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1210298
post #29 of 152 Old 01-03-2010, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I realize that, but in Chuckie's post he indicated that when using MakeMKV he has no way of differentiating the forced English subtitles versus the regular non-forced English subtitles when playing back.

Ah, I understand. Sorry about that. Hopefully someone else knows how to do it. I find it easier to rip everything the old fashioned way so I can find the forced subs. Now that archer75 told me the particular settings, I'm going to try using ripbot to re-encode a rip and put the forced subs right into the frame, so I won't have to use vobsub anymore.
post #30 of 152 Old 01-03-2010, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCONKLIN1 View Post

I'm lazy. I use anydvd and rip to an ISO image. Easiest and least amount of work for me.
I could care less about hard drive space as cheap as it is...

Thats fine...then you have to play with the pure crap commerical players.

I fought that battle way too long...IMO PowerDVD is garbage...TMT doesn't like 72Hz refresh I run to my old CRT projector, perhaps it's ok for others.

Since I started ripping to MKV's I've never enjoyed my theater as much. Too many times I would try to watch a movie with PDVD and something would go wrong. Stutter freezes...It just never happens with MKV's.

Mike
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page