Playaing DTS Blu-ray on stereo setup - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 01-04-2010, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi

My HTPC is connected to my Naim stereo amplifier, through an external USB DAC (Pro-Ject).
I have some Blu-ray rips with DTS soundtrack so my question is how I should play those? Since DTS is surround, will I loose some of the sound when I'm only playing it on my stereo setup? If so, how is the best possible way I can decode those DTS soundtracks?

I do not know much about digital audio encoding/decoding (used to the good old vinyl and CD), so pleace explain it thoroughfully as I would really like to know more about it. And if you can show me some articles about the subject - I will gladly read those.

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-04-2010, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

If your HTPC knows that you only have 2 channels, it should decode DTS/DD to a stereo signal and output that. If properly decoded, you will not miss any audio data. The surround channels are added to the fronts, and the center is split evenly between the fronts.

So instead of FL+C+FR+SL+SR, you get (FL+C+SL)+(FR+C+SR).

You will know if you are missing sound if you can't hear any dialog, since that is normally output from the center channel in a surround setup.
post #3 of 3 Old 01-05-2010, 01:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spivonious View Post

If your HTPC knows that you only have 2 channels, it should decode DTS/DD to a stereo signal and output that. If properly decoded, you will not miss any audio data. The surround channels are added to the fronts, and the center is split evenly between the fronts.

So instead of FL+C+FR+SL+SR, you get (FL+C+SL)+(FR+C+SR).

You will know if you are missing sound if you can't hear any dialog, since that is normally output from the center channel in a surround setup.

Thank you! And letting Windows handle it produces the best possible decoding, or could I handle the proccess better by using other codecs?
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page