stuttering on hdtv when i switched from component to dvi/hdmi - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-06-2010, 06:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well...here we go...
I switched from s-video component breakout cable to a dvi/hdmi cable yesterday so I can be hdcp compliant and so I could get the full 1080p instead of 1080i. When using the component out everything was fine...when I switched to the dvi I get a range of issues. Now my system boot shows on the hdtv (not a problem but annoying) The MAIN issue is now the picture on the hdtv looks fine but I have a lot of juttering. The mouse image won't move smoothly and any video I play jutters. Also when I switch to 720p for larger text internet browsing the screen size is scaled down to half. Still the main problem I need to fix is the juttering. Everything looks and runs fine on my crt.
I am running a nvidia 8500gt in dualview. Can't believe just changing a cable would screw so much up...any ideas? Help would be much appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-06-2010, 07:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
S-Video is not component it is SD 480i NTSC standard video
HDTV YPrPb component uses 3 cables that have red, greeen and blue RCA connectors
When 1080i is de-interlaced back to full 1080p when received by your TV.
Your 8500GT can not handle the load your are putting on it by trying to output 1080p/60 especially is you are driving 2 displays.
So output 1080i instead over HDMI instead.
You apparently selecting no scaling in your drivers which is why a 1280x720 desktop is only a subset of your 1080p output.
post #3 of 5 Old 01-06-2010, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford View Post

S-Video is not component it is SD 480i NTSC standard video
HDTV YPrPb component uses 3 cables that have red, greeen and blue RCA connectors
When 1080i is de-interlaced back to full 1080p when received by your TV.
Your 8500GT can not handle the load your are putting on it by trying to output 1080p/60 especially is you are driving 2 displays.
So output 1080i instead over HDMI instead.
You apparently selecting no scaling in your drivers which is why a 1280x720 desktop is only a subset of your 1080p output.

I tried changing the output all the way down to 640x480 and I still get juttering. It's not an overload issue...the 8500gt has full blu-ray offload capabilities. BTW...the s-video is a full pin breakaway to component leads...this will do all the way up to 1080i which is what I previously was displaying with no problems. I have to use the hdmi to be hdcp compliant or my blu-ray drive I just got is just an expensive dvd burner. Any other ideas?
post #4 of 5 Old 01-06-2010, 09:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Since no BR disks will have their ICT flags set before 2012 you are not required to play HD resoluton BR disks in HD resolution over HDMI/DVI with HDCP
You don't have an S-video connector you have a 7 round minidin connector that will support either an S-video cable connection using 4 of the pins or which will support a component dongle connector using the other pins.
It takes a lot more GPU power to decompress and decode H.264 content then to decomprss and decode Mpeg2 content. Also ouputting 1080p/60 requires twice as much output bandwidth as outputting 1080i/60 especdially if supporting 2 displays.
I also have an 8500GT so I am fully aware of it's capabilites and IMHO it does not have the GPU power to do all of the operations you are trying to get it to do concurently.
post #5 of 5 Old 01-06-2010, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Then why am I having the same problem outputting every resolution down to 640*480? Under your idea I should only be having that problem at 1080p. It's all resolutions...
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page