Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkellynewyork View Post

wow - this looks interesting - looks like it just came out - tempting

http://www.amazon.com/Cideko-Keyboar.../dp/B0030UJK2G

I have one of these for my bedroom HTPC and it works pretty good. The only problem is that it has none of the F keys which I rarely need anyways. Worth a try, and if you don't like it then Amazon has an excellent return policy.

-Don
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 456 Old 11-16-2010, 05:39 PM

Anyone tried the Logitech Keyboard Controller that normally accompanies the Revue (GoogleTV) with a HTPC? It's $99, battery powered and seems to look pretty "coffee table appropriate".

I'm thinking of getting one to replace a Dinovo Edge that no longer charges. Obviously the replaceable batteries are a big plus for me on this one!!!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...g=hdex-roku-20
post #273 of 456 Old 12-07-2010, 10:11 AM

the lenovo device is back on sale at about $20. cheapest ive seen. going to jump on it but whats the verdict on this things range?
my zino is behind a cabinet does it need to be opened or line of sight?
or do i just go with dinovo mini or some other bluetooth device.

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2458269
post #274 of 456 Old 12-07-2010, 10:32 AM

I have this guy, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-018-_-Product

After getting the trackball fixed it's been fantastic. Smaller than a traditional keyboard and it has built in mouse functions.
post #275 of 456 Old 12-07-2010, 12:44 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by goondog View Post

the lenovo device is back on sale at about $20. cheapest ive seen. going to jump on it but whats the verdict on this things range?
my zino is behind a cabinet does it need to be opened or line of sight?
or do i just go with dinovo mini or some other bluetooth device.

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2458269

I just got rid of my Lenovo, I didn't like the lack of Function keys, it turned out to be VERY inconvenient not to have the failsafe Alt+F4 to shut down programs, as well, the keys are VERY difficult to use to type and personally, I think the area where you can click should be much, much bigger. It is so restricted that you have to THINK about where to push to actuate clicks...

If small is your ONLY consideration, its a decent option, otherwise there are much better keyboards out there. I found the range to be somewhat below average for the devices rated at 30 feet, but it is possible to use it through cabinets. If you want very good hidden functionality, get a bluetooth device, they seem to handle distance and obstruction much better, imho.
post #276 of 456 Old 12-07-2010, 12:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankspin View Post

I have this guy, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-018-_-Product

After getting the trackball fixed it's been fantastic. Smaller than a traditional keyboard and it has built in mouse functions.

How did you "fix" the trackball ? I have this one too, and I detest the sloppy feel the track ball has, is there an easy fix for this ??
post #277 of 456 Old 12-07-2010, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by none74 View Post

How did you "fix" the trackball ? I have this one too, and I detest the sloppy feel the track ball has, is there an easy fix for this ??

I RMA'd it with Iogear. I just made mention that it's a known issue via reviews on NewEgg (go through the reviews, Iogear actually responded to some of them). When I finally got it back, about a week to week 1/2, it's been amazing. The trackball doesn't feel as loose and has a little more resistance when moving around. Most of all, I no longer have the issue where everytime I clicked on something the mouse pointer jumped all over the screen.
post #278 of 456 Old 12-07-2010, 03:50 PM
Advanced Member

Ahhh, RMA, more expensive to ship it back than to just buy a different one and hope for a better product...I've tried dozens of candidates, and still have not found the "definitive" wireless keyboard/mouse for me.
post #279 of 456 Old 12-07-2010, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 63
I just got this one today. I will only use it for SageTV, browser functions and possibly hulu, boxee and or kylo.

Anything I need to do which isn't possible through that keyboard, I'll do via UltraVNC.
post #280 of 456 Old 12-12-2010, 06:36 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by David James View Post

I just got this one today. I will only use it for SageTV, browser functions and possibly hulu, boxee and or kylo.

Anything I need to do which isn't possible through that keyboard, I'll do via UltraVNC.

What do you think of it?
I want one that has these few features:
>compact - like a laptop/netbook size with no num pad.
>bluetooth
>has media buttons
>integrated trackpad
>easy for 1 or 2 hand operation

I can't seem to find one that is ideal. Hopefully someone will produce one soon...
post #281 of 456 Old 12-30-2010, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvarisco View Post
I ordered one in early March, before they hiked the price up, and got it last week.

So far I'm impressed. The unit feels well built and has more heft in it that you'd think, and doesn't feel like it would shatter if you dropped it. It's obviously plastic, but doesn't feel fragile. I do personally like the fact it's put together with screws in the back via internal plastic tabs - not that it matters that much but if I have to open the unit it will be far easier.

The unit charges via mini-USB, and has an on-off switch on the side. Can't comment on battery life yet (as I don't use it a lot, that's what my remote is for). One possible bug I've had is that if left on and unattended for a while it becomes unresponsive until I turn it off and back on - not a huge issue and might be some power-saving feature I don't know how to properly use.

The keyboard feels nice to me - it's easy for me to type on, and the function keys are really cool - volume up/down/mute (mute doesn't seem to work with my windows install however), a button to rotate the orientation of the mousepad, and my favorite - a CTR-ALT-DEL combo. It seems to have everything you'd practically need, including a small direction pad for use as arrow keys.

Touchpad/mouse buttons I'm lukewarm on. Given the size of it, I'd say it performs admirably, but even with mouse sensitivity turned up to max it will still take 2-3 swipes to go all the way across a 1080p screen. The mouse buttons work fine as well, and are directly underneath the trackpad. My only complaint is that the d-pad is between the two buttons, which doesn't yet feel "right" when I'm trying to mouse click without looking at the unit. I'm sure I'll get used to it.

The backlight works really well - it's quite bright, far more than I expected it to be.

Also, the laser pointer in it is surprisingly strong - my cats found it quite fun. Not useful for HTPCs but a bonus for pets nonetheless.

Aside from the small issues mentioned above, I really like it. My complaints about the device are things you can't really get around in a keyboard/mouse combo this size. I only occasionally need to use the mouse/keyboard on my HTPC setup, so I'm estatic that I can finally exchange my gyration air remote and laptop-style keyboard for something way smaller, and doesn't require 6 batteries to power!

Anybody who has specific questions, feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer.
Looks like the price for the Rii remote has gone down to $39.99:

http://www.tomtop.com/computers-netw...9b_p10332.html

Props to adrenalynn over at Slatedroids.com for posting this.

smithmal
post #282 of 456 Old 12-30-2010, 10:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithmal View Post

Looks like the price for the Rii remote has gone down to $39.99:

http://www.tomtop.com/computers-netw...9b_p10332.html

Props to adrenalynn over at Slatedroids.com for posting this.

smithmal

Just wanted to add to the review that was previously posted. I got this remote and like pretty much everything about it, except the slightly sluggish mouse pad response, and the TERRIBLE range of the bluetooth receiver.

I had to put the receiver on a long USB extension and hang it in sight to get it to work well. Anyone wanting it should note that, the reception is very, very poor for the included bluetooth dongle and you'll need to be very close to your computer, or, buy a MUCH better receiver AND have it in line of sight, and somewhat close(within about 10 feet is what I had to do...). So, the search for the perfect solution continues...
post #283 of 456 Old 01-03-2011, 08:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I also found the bluetooth range for the rii keyboard with the included dongle very weak. I had a spare bluetooth dongle from a Microsoft mouse & I tried that in place. Turns out that the range improved quite a bit - so it appears that the problem is with the included dongle rather than the keyboard unit itself.
post #284 of 456 Old 05-31-2011, 03:11 PM

I'm going to try this one, looks like a variation on the rii. Function keys, scroll wheel, backlight keys. I'll let you know how it goes when it arrives.

Watching a movie on a tv is like watching a movie on a tv, watching a movie on a projector is like being at the movies!
post #285 of 456 Old 05-31-2011, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 189
The problem with these rii keyboards is that it has no F12 key. On that one I dont see the scroll wheel. It could be just sliding your finger up and down the right edge of the touch pad?

That said, the + or - keys on mine won't be recognized when I'm in BIOS so I had to grab my "real" keyboard to change the boot drive order last week. But it does have F12.

post #286 of 456 Old 05-31-2011, 04:54 PM

One of the pics down the page shows a scroll wheel near the laser. Didn't even notice the function keys stopping short at 8. BIOS I kinda figured I'll need to get old trusty out. Not really a concern with the use this keyboard is intended for. Once it's all up and running it'll get minimal use, web addresses, short messages etc. There's not one perfect keyboard in my opinion for the htpc. I would of preferred one similar in design to this but with backlight keys

Watching a movie on a tv is like watching a movie on a tv, watching a movie on a projector is like being at the movies!
post #287 of 456 Old 06-01-2011, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Sensate View Post

Received and have been using the IpazzPort "-05" for a few weeks now.
http://www.amazon.com/iPazzPort-subs.../ref=pd_cp_e_3

I was pleasantly surprised at how nice the tactile feed back on the keys are.
They are easy to press and you KNOW that you have pressed them.

The unit is small and VERY light.

The backlight works really well.
The trackpad is pretty accurate and reliable.

The key layout is nice.
It takes a little getting used to going from a full QWERTY 84 key keyboard to this one but almost everything you need is here. This is NOT recommended for people who need to type emails or anything extensive. Touch-typists will likely hate this keypad... but then, it IS a keypad and NOT a keyboard. Cell phone users with the thumbskills will love this keypad.

The only difficulties I have had are with the "SF", second function, lock to get to the arrow keys. It works but it just takes some getting used to. And I have not found a key-combo equivalent to Alt-Tab to cycle application windows or Ctrl-Tab to cycle application tabs.

I actually used this keypad and my old BTC 9116 simultaneously just for fun and they work just fine.

BTC is now disconnected. I allowed my old PC with BIOS set to USB legacy support to go into standby and it work with one click on the spacebar.

I forced the PC to standby manually and did the same. worked.
I pressed the front button on the chassis to standby the unit and woke it up again with a SINGLE press of the spacebar.

Only one time did I have to pull the USB "dongle" to get Windows XP to recognize the keyboard. It appeared to have a problem with being impatient... I clicked the spacebar and then started pressing other keys and more spacebar clicks and mouse button clicks, XP started but no keypad or mouse function. Cycling the powerswitch on the side of keypad had no effect.
Afterwards I had no further issues with the wake from standby as long as I did not bang on the keys while XP was booting. I'll have to try this with an Ubuntu install as well.

Been several months now and the keypad is still working just fine. My thumbskills have improved significantly. Battery is still solid and the durability of the pad seems just fine. Signal/reception is solid as well.
post #288 of 456 Old 06-01-2011, 07:48 AM

Really like the form factor of the Logitech Revue keyboard, but haven't found out how to make it work on my system yet.
post #289 of 456 Old 06-01-2011, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Has anyone tried the Rii Touch N7? It looks slightly larger and has the touchpad in the center rather than on the right. Wondered how that works in practice.

But it does appear to have 12 function keys.

I am really tempted to try one of these. Amazon sells it for $49.99. They also have a Bluetooth knockoff of the regular Rii for $39 in case you're trying to avoid 2.4 wireless.
post #290 of 456 Old 06-01-2011, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zon2020 View Post

Has anyone tried the Rii Touch N7? It looks slightly larger and has the touchpad in the center rather than on the right. Wondered how that works in practice.

But it does appear to have 12 function keys.

I am really tempted to try one of these. Amazon sells it for $49.99. They also have a Bluetooth knockoff of the regular Rii for $39 in case you're trying to avoid 2.4 wireless.

My brother uses this and loves it, fwiw.
post #291 of 456 Old 06-01-2011, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

My brother uses this and loves it, fwiw.

Can you get enough precision to control a cursor on a big screen with the really small touchpad on these Rii devices? That's my biggest hesitation.
post #292 of 456 Old 06-01-2011, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zon2020 View Post

Can you get enough precision to control a cursor on a big screen with the really small touchpad on these Rii devices? That's my biggest hesitation.

I have the one pictured above and it works great. The touch pad is plenty sensitive enough but to go diagonally across the screen takes 2 or 2½ strokes. That is the cost of having precision of the mouse pointer. This is adjustable to how you may like it. There's also a scroll wheel on the extreme right side of the touch pad. and you can left-click by tapping the pad or by using the mouse buttons below the touch pad. The 4-way arrow toggle is really awesome to have too. There's also an explorer button that instantly opens IE.

post #293 of 456 Old 06-01-2011, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

I have the one pictured above and it works great. The touch pad is plenty sensitive enough but to go diagonally across the screen takes 2 or 2½ strokes. That is the cost of having precision of the mouse pointer. This is adjustable to how you may like it. There's also a scroll wheel on the extreme right side of the touch pad. and you can left-click by tapping the pad or by using the mouse buttons below the touch pad. The 4-way arrow toggle is really awesome to have too. There's also an explorer button that instantly opens IE.

Thanks. Think I'll order one. The diNovo Mini seemed unnecessarily expensive; and I just wasn't sold on the Lenovo N5901. I use an IoGear GKM561R on my other system and really like it for what it is, but I really want something much smaller for the new one. This Rii Touch N7 might just be the ticket. It's reassuring to read an endorsement from someone who has actually used it.
post #294 of 456 Old 06-01-2011, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliscs View Post

Really like the form factor of the Logitech Revue keyboard, but haven't found out how to make it work on my system yet.

Are you talking about the mini keyboard that's pretty much identical to the dinovo?

Pioneer Kuro...your time is up...mwahahhahhha
post #295 of 456 Old 06-01-2011, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

I will say that it doesn't have the range advertised. It needs line of sight and works to about 15 feet which for me is plenty. Who needs to operate their HTPC from 30 meters (100 feet or so)? You also have to keep it charged up because it starts to get finicky when you don't. I plug it in to the supplied USB cable every night using the On-Off Charge function on my Gigabyte MoBo because it is pretty functional and can be used for a lot of maintainence tasks.

post #296 of 456 Old 06-01-2011, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

I will say that it doesn't have the range advertised. It needs line of sight and works to about 15 feet which for me is plenty. Who needs to operate their HTPC from 30 meters (100 feet or so)? You also have to keep it charged up because it starts to get finicky when you don't. I plug it in to the supplied USB cable every night using the On-Off Charge function on my Gigabyte MoBo because it is pretty functional and can be used for a lot of maintainence tasks.

Could you plug the USB cable into a USB phone/iPod charger? I have several of those plugged into a surge protector that gets turned on each night to recharge my phone, two iPods and my Kindle overnight. I could easily add this to the mix.

So I take it that the "stays charged for 30 days" is a bit of an exaggeration too?
post #297 of 456 Old 06-01-2011, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

It's mini-USB so I suppose so. It probably would stay charged for longer if I didn't use it heavily for maintainence of the system.

post #298 of 456 Old 06-01-2011, 05:35 PM

Logitech K800 and matching MX mouse
http://www.logitech.com/en-us/keyboa...d/devices/7288
http://www.logitech.com/en-us/mice-p...sE|6135||Image

This was the only setup I could find that would give me the range, backlit, rechargable, and ability to actually type out things without having to hunt for keys. I have a Lenovo Multimedia Remote but never use it because typing on it sucks. For media center interface it is just a rosewill IR remote until I can upgrade to a better one.
post #299 of 456 Old 06-01-2011, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrApnea View Post

Logitech K800 and matching MX mouse
http://www.logitech.com/en-us/keyboa...d/devices/7288
http://www.logitech.com/en-us/mice-p...sE|6135||Image

This was the only setup I could find that would give me the range, backlit, rechargable, and ability to actually type out things without having to hunt for keys. I have a Lenovo Multimedia Remote but never use it because typing on it sucks. For media center interface it is just a rosewill IR remote until I can upgrade to a better one.

In the lenovos defense you really shouldn't be using it for a lot of typing
post #300 of 456 Old 06-01-2011, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I have this one here

http://techgage.com/article/microsof..._desktop_8000/

I really liked the idea of this one over all others I had seen at the time of getting it, which is a few years ago now. I like how nicely they incorporated media center related keys. The back button as you would see it on an mce remote, green button, etc...

I also thought that since it was bluetooth that it would be a plus. But I am sometimes shocked at the range of the bluetooth...I will be on my bed and my HTPC being lower to the ground will ruin the range. I have to aim it high towards the ceiling to break lag...

Also, I am not accustomed to the style of keyboard even after a few years of owning. But that goes to show you how much typing you will ever need to do with a HTPC. I usually adapt my typing to whatever new keyboard I get, never really had to with this one.

Anyways, looking back I would have spent less. Overall it is a good choice, not ideal though.

I would like to try this one sometime, although I have read mixed reviews and it is older

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...oard,1098.html
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page