Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by woody777 View Post

From Lenovo.

Thanks very much, too bad I'm in Canada, sale is US only, we get screwed to the tune of $79.99 PLUS shipping....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #422 of 456 Old 02-07-2012, 03:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 812
http://www.logicbuy.com/deals/lenovo...ard/33473.aspx

Product Description

Lenovo - Lenovo Enhanced Multimedia Remote with backlit keyboard N5902 for $79.99 - $44 coupon code: USP1F26678 applied during checkout (expires February 13) = $35.99 with FREE shipping. Compatible with your Xbox 360 and PS3.

This is an update to previous model N5901 with backlit keyboard, rubberized keys, optical trackball (like new Blackberry), and refreshed design. Uses USB nano dongle to connect to PC or game console and provide wireless input & multimedia controls. USB dongle stores in base when not in use.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #423 of 456 Old 02-22-2012, 06:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Product Description

Lenovo - Lenovo Enhanced Multimedia Remote with backlit keyboard N5902 for $79.99 - $44 coupon code: USP1F26678 applied during checkout (expires February 13) = $35.99 with FREE shipping. Compatible with your Xbox 360 and PS3.

This is an update to previous model N5901 with backlit keyboard, rubberized keys, optical trackball (like new Blackberry), and refreshed design. Uses USB nano dongle to connect to PC or game console and provide wireless input & multimedia controls. USB dongle stores in base when not in use.

anyone want to buy my older (5 month old) version ?

I love the backlit.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #424 of 456 Old 02-23-2012, 04:59 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike99 View Post

I just got the Logitech K400 wireless keyboard from Amazon. It's almost 14" wide including the 3" touchpad. And it came with the 2 AA batteries. So far it works quite well. My PC is about 12'-15' behind me and just around the corner from a wall & a few feet behind a half height wall and the keyboard still works. Either the RF signal goes through the wall or the waves spread out enough to go around it, but it works.

And I can walk about 8' further & it still works if the keyboard is facing the PC, but if I block the signal with my body then it will not work. IOW it works at least 20' from the PC if I'm not in the way.

--snip--

Similar experience for me and the K400. My PC is down a hall, about 30' away. Reception is great. This keyboard is very thin, which allows me to store it under the sofa. I would not want to use this as an everyday keyboard, but for occasional surfing, it's fine. The touchpad uses two-finger scrolling, just like my laptop, so no learning curve.

I use the Gyration Air Music remote (discontinued) for daily Media Center use.
post #425 of 456 Old 03-07-2012, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Anybody tried this one:

Eboard AirMouse Smart Handheld 2.4GHz Wireless Keyboard w/Optical Trackpad
http://usb.brando.com/eboard-smart-h...3c034d015.html

It's backlit and looks pretty good ergonomically.
post #426 of 456 Old 03-07-2012, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 189
It looks good but it also looks like the keys are too close causing a lot of fat thumb problems.

post #427 of 456 Old 03-07-2012, 08:02 AM

Has anyone used either of these remotes and what is everyone's thoughts on these?

CE Compass Mini Wireless Keyboard with Touchpad Mouse PC Remote Control

Perixx PERIBOARD-717, Wireless Remote Keyboard with Touchpad

I would like a wireless Bluetooth or RF option instead of an IR version. I am using the ASROCK smart remote as an IR when needed, but its limited on what it can do. Something that is remote size and not keyboard size.

AS ROCK Smart Remote
post #428 of 456 Old 03-07-2012, 08:06 AM

post #429 of 456 Old 03-07-2012, 08:13 AM

^ That actually looks quite nice. Build quality will obviously be low, but you can't go wrong for $30...
post #430 of 456 Old 03-22-2012, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Product Description

I have the same one.... plug in a full size usb keyboard if I have to do any heavy typing.......... but all in all very pleased!
post #431 of 456 Old 03-26-2012, 04:49 PM

I went with the logitech K400 after reading some negative stuff about the trackball on the lenovo, The K400 is obviously bigger, but offers easier typing for me. I also use an app on my iphone that works pretty well if I'm not feeling like using the actual keyboard. The only downside i've seen with the k400 is the lack of media buttons. It only has volume.
post #432 of 456 Old 03-26-2012, 10:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Also using the k400 and loving it. Very reliable, good reception etc. Wish it was backlit tho

Gear list: Main setup - Kef Q900, Svs sb12-nsd subwoofer, onkyo 609 receiver, epson 8350 projector, elitescreens sable 92" screen, mac mini htpc
bedroom setup: PSB Image B5, maverick tubemagic a1 amplifier, hifimediy sabre9023 dac, ZMF Fostex T50RP modded headphones
preordered gear: Light Harmonic Geek Pulse X dac and headphone amp
post #433 of 456 Old 03-27-2012, 06:30 AM

I have been agonising over this, but I am leaning towards the K400. My research on the K400 shows:

Pros:
Not as badly built as some rivals (e.g. Rii N7)
Acceptable range for an RF device (ignoring special cases of interference problems)
Vaguely useable trackpad
Function keys
Lack of media keys can be compensated by assigning key combinations, certainly under Windows but probably in Linux too.
Works in BIOS
Somewhat useable keyboard

Cons:
Not backlit
RF not as good as bluetooth for range and interference (and Bluetooth can work under BIOS if you have the right proprietary dongle, or have a dongle with a programmable firmware and a motherboard with a UEFI BIOS)
No media keys (but see above)
Quite big (but therefore keyboard is more useable)
"Plasticky" (not a premium feel)
Some reports of sticky trackpad left-click (but there is another left-click key)
Some reports of trackpad sensitivity issues

Pro & con:
Takes AA batteries (recharge separately=con, but batteries replaceable=pro)

My second choice is the Lenovo N5902A, but I don't think I personally could live without function keys, and the Fn key doesn't give any scan code so I don't think you can work around that. I also worry about the thumb pad sensitivity.

Third choice is the Rii N7, which in terms of its form-factor and functional specification seems quite good to me, but I just don't trust the build quality.

Still seems as though there is a lot of room for improvement in these devices!
post #434 of 456 Old 03-27-2012, 07:23 AM

Liked: 12
I use a Logitech K400 when I need to control windows on my HTPC. It's receiver doesn't use any 3rd party drivers - uses windows HID.

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/keyboa...-keyboard-k400
post #435 of 456 Old 10-08-2012, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyeclad View Post

It kills me how many of these keyboards are actually made by the same manufacturer and rebadged as a new product. It makes researching the best product a little harder when you're not sure if a product is made with better parts or just a re-badge. Here's a perfect example of a "new" product:

Remind you of another keyboard we know well?

For me, the big give away is the ridiculously over-sized Enter key and the necessary omission of page up and down keys as a result. But hey, if you like brushed aluminum you can get the first one for $85. Anyone want to take the chance that the trackball is the same one that people are frustrated with in all those IOGear reviews?

Ah, too bad that I found your post only now. I have the very exact issues - the trackball sucks. And I don't really thinks it's a dirty problem now.
post #436 of 456 Old 10-08-2012, 10:27 AM

After owning several keyboard in this style. I finally found the best of the bunch for me. It's range is excellent and it has a great trackball and keys. My typing accuracy is great considering it's used on my lap. It's fantastic and I've owned about five of them.

www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/840952-REG/Adesso_WKB_3000U_Wireless_Mini_Trackball_Keyboard.html
post #437 of 456 Old 10-12-2012, 09:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

nvrmnd

-

post #438 of 456 Old 10-12-2012, 09:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I am looking for a remote with better control... specifically for mediabrowser.

Any suggestions?

The mice style floats around too much.

-

post #439 of 456 Old 10-12-2012, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 189
My Harmony 900 controls MB just fine as did the Harmony 880 before it.

post #440 of 456 Old 10-12-2012, 11:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

What do you guys use to receive the signal from the remote on your HTPC?

USB receiver stick ?

-

post #441 of 456 Old 10-12-2012, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 350
I don't think you have much choice. You have to use whatever came with the remote. Sometimes it's a stick, sometimes its on an extension cable. If you get just the dongle, you can use whatever you want. Some have mounted them inside the HTPC case, but I don't see the point. My personal favorite is the Ortek VRC-1100 (a.k.a. Adesso ARC-1100) since it has every MCE function, works well with sleep/wake, has a mouse control pad and is relatively cheap. Of course I never use the actual remote, just the dongle and my universal remote.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #442 of 456 Old 10-12-2012, 02:45 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16

In order for me to have the best possible wireless keyboard and trackball I had to buy the best from each category.  Pretty much all the wireless keyboards I've seen use cheap rubber dome based technology that feel spungy and bottom out.  I used to hate typing on them.  You could get a professional quality "tenkeyless" mechanical mx-blue or mx-brown cherry keyboard (Leopold and Filco are the most popular because of how good they feel when you type).  When you type on one of these, you'll never go back to cheapo rubber dome keyboards again.

When you combine that with a top quality/popular Trackball like a Logitech M570, it's a combination that's not possible to beat in a consumer based combo product.  But, it's going to cost close to $200.

The top mechanical keyboards aren't wireless, only USB.  So, you'll need a USB wireless kit with a powerful portable battery.

You can build yourself one like the one below (Leopold mx-blue cherry tenkeyless keyboard + M570 + USB Wireless kit + Lapboard + a little velcro).

This is what the end product looks like.  Not the best looking wireless keyboard + trackball, but definitely the best "feel" and control you're going to get on the couch, period.  It's also perfect for games.  It has a handle so you can carry it around anywhere you go.

Can your HTPC Media Center / DVR Do this??

SageTV:

+ OTA ATSC + DVB-S2 + Blu-ray/HD-DVD serving 5 clients.
post #443 of 456 Old 10-13-2012, 11:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKANET View Post

In order for me to have the best possible wireless keyboard and trackball I had to buy the best from each category.  Pretty much all the wireless keyboards I've seen use cheap rubber dome based technology that feel spungy and bottom out.  I used to hate typing on them.  You could get a professional quality "tenkeyless" mechanical mx-blue or mx-brown cherry keyboard (Leopold and Filco are the most popular because of how good they feel when you type).  When you type on one of these, you'll never go back to cheapo rubber dome keyboards again.

When you combine that with a top quality/popular Trackball like a Logitech M570, it's a combination that's not possible to beat in a consumer based combo product.  But, it's going to cost close to $200.

The top mechanical keyboards aren't wireless, only USB.  So, you'll need a USB wireless kit with a powerful portable battery.

You can build yourself one like the one below (Leopold mx-blue cherry tenkeyless keyboard + M570 + USB Wireless kit + Lapboard + a little velcro).

This is what the end product looks like.  Not the best looking wireless keyboard + trackball, but definitely the best "feel" and control you're going to get on the couch, period.  It's also perfect for games.  It has a handle so you can carry it around anywhere you go.

That's a bit much for me.

I have a $100 mouse and $130 keyboard on my desktop but for my HTPC I am looking for a good easy solution under $100 total for mouse and keyboard.

It's not that I don't appreciate excellence. I certainly do.

But for the HTPC it just won't get enough use to justify the cost.

Honestly ... I am just looking for something that will browse mediabrowser better than my Lenovo

-

post #444 of 456 Old 10-13-2012, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Use the left and right buttons on your Lenovo keyboard. Works great.

post #445 of 456 Old 10-13-2012, 11:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

Use the left and right buttons on your Lenovo keyboard. Works great.

I don't like that it clicks strange.. I think I want a real remote.

I am coming to the conclusion that a real mouse and real keyboard + Real remote is the solution I want.

For general movie playing/browsing I just use a remote.

For serious PC stuff I use mouse and keyboard.

ANyone else do it this way ?

-

post #446 of 456 Old 10-13-2012, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

I am coming to the conclusion that a real mouse and real keyboard + Real remote is the solution I want.

No. I don't want to be the goober with a full PC keyboard and mouse on display in my living room (and trust me neither does my wife).

That's just me. To each their own.

post #447 of 456 Old 10-13-2012, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

I never use a real keyboard/mouse with my HTPC. Smartphone apps work fine for that. I use a "real" remote about 95% of the time. What exactly is missing from your real remote? Can you not program it to do whatever functions you want?

post #448 of 456 Old 10-13-2012, 12:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

I never use a real keyboard/mouse with my HTPC. Smartphone apps work fine for that. I use a "real" remote about 95% of the time. What exactly is missing from your real remote? Can you not program it to do whatever functions you want?

No. That's what I am asking.

What's a good "real" remote. ?

That is what I am looking for.

-

post #449 of 456 Old 10-13-2012, 12:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

No. I don't want to be the goober with a full PC keyboard and mouse on display in my living room (and trust me neither does my wife).
That's just me. To each their own.

Currently I only have The lenovo.

I was thinking of a full keyboard mouse set up stored in the drawer for only when needed. Just for updates and set up changes I might do. Mostly my HTPC is hands off as I add the media to the server via my desktop. I don't even need a keyboard 99% of the time.

Thus the lenovo is crap since the mouse tracking leaves a lot to be desired when browsing mediabrowser.

I really think I just need to buy a real remote.

-

post #450 of 456 Old 10-13-2012, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Any programmable remote will work fine. Harmony is very popular. URC is another good option. I personally use Xsight for my home theater and JP1 remotes elsewhere. If you have a $100 budget, check out the harmony 700. Any of the above solutions allow you to put any function on any button you like. Just pick a model that has the layout and features you want.

I don't use media browser, so what functions exactly are missing from your current remote? I thought all those plugins just used the arrow keys and ok, which should work fine on any remote.

EDIT: Nevermind that last part. I see now you don't have a remote. How do you change the volume on your TV or AVR or choose the right inputs?

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page