Best Keyboard and Mouse/Trackball - Whatcha got??? - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 456 Old 10-13-2012, 12:19 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16

I probably should have read the thread more carefully.  It looks like the need is for part-time use on a Windows based HTPC is what most people need.  So, a compact mini-keyboard and 2 button mouse solution like the Lenovo would be best. 

For those who use a Media Center solution to do almost everything (TV, BD/MKV Movies, Music, Online Video Services); and, use the mouse occasionally, the below options looks really cool.  Very compact shape, backlit keyboard with a learn-able media center remote control on the back side, and an exceptionally good 3-way gyroscope mouse builtin for only $20 on Amazon.  It looks like it would be fun for 3D gaming too.  I'm actually considering getting this for one of my SageTV extender in the living room.

http://ipazzport.com/16.html

EDIT:  I just ordered one of these on Ebay for my SageTV extender.  I hope it's compatible!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

That's a bit much for me.
I have a $100 mouse and $130 keyboard on my desktop but for my HTPC I am looking for a good easy solution under $100 total for mouse and keyboard.
It's not that I don't appreciate excellence. I certainly do.
But for the HTPC it just won't get enough use to justify the cost.
Honestly ... I am just looking for something that will browse mediabrowser better than my Lenovo

Can your HTPC Media Center / DVR Do this??

SageTV:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
+ OTA ATSC + DVB-S2 + Blu-ray/HD-DVD serving 5 clients.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 456 Old 10-13-2012, 12:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 852
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

Any programmable remote will work fine. Harmony is very popular. URC is another good option. I personally use Xsight for my home theater and JP1 remotes elsewhere. If you have a $100 budget, check out the harmony 700. Any of the above solutions allow you to put any function on any button you like. Just pick a model that has the layout and features you want.
I don't use media browser, so what functions exactly are missing from your current remote? I thought all those plugins just used the arrow keys and ok, which should work fine on any remote.
EDIT: Nevermind that last part. I see now you don't have a remote. How do you change the volume on your TV or AVR or choose the right inputs?

I have no remote.

I have no receiver or dongle.

I would want an RF to work through walls. My HTPC feeds a projector and a plasma in two difference rooms.

I only have a Lenovo HTPC remote now.

I need a good remote that comes with a PC receiver.. or I need a PC reciever dongle so I can use a universal remote I have.

Most of the remotes don't seem to be good for HTPC.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #453 of 456 Old 10-13-2012, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked: 370
My Xsight Touch is RF and works great with HTPC, but they can hard to find these days. The Harmony 900 is RF and should work as well, but it's over $100, as are most RF remotes. They have transport controls, menu, arrows, numbers, guide and recording list on hard buttons. The other stuff you can put on soft buttons (the LCD). For my use at least, nothing WMC related is missing. If there's something in particular, post it and we'll try to find a good solution for you.

If you want a cheaper solution, you may want to look into a cheaper IR remote with a 3rd party RF system added on, like the one made by Next Generation. A $15 JP1 remote plus a $40 Next Gen is the absolute cheapest system I can come up with. URC makes a cheap RF remote for around that price. IIRC, it's a model 20 and is usually sold as a kit.

Are you willing to consider smartphone solutions? Those work very well and are quite popular.

I'm still wondering how you control your sound and TV/projector today. Maybe some of your existing remotes could be adapted to work with your PC. Any learning remote should work with any MCE IR dongle, as long as it comes with a remote to learn from.

post #454 of 456 Old 10-15-2012, 12:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

what is the range on the Harmony ???

Would it work through a wall 15 feet away ?

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #455 of 456 Old 10-15-2012, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 189
My H900 works through a solid cabinet at 15 feet.

I paid ~$150 for a refurb unit from Logitech web store and it was basically new.

post #456 of 456 Old 03-16-2013, 02:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

This thread needs a re-birth.

-

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page