post #31 of 456 Old 01-13-2010, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by texagjosh View Post

Have you bought one of these? I'm really interested in this but there just isn't much feedback out there other than the review you posted.

Mine should be here on Friday or Monday depending when it left their distribution center.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 456 Old 01-13-2010, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Anyone else have any recs?
post #33 of 456 Old 01-13-2010, 05:00 PM

Liked: 10
I've been happy for 2 yrs with my Moneual MK700. It's RF (not bluetooth) but has excellent range, good battery life... and it's inexpensive. $30 at Xoxide

My only complaints would be that I haven't found a way to reprogram the quick launch application keys at the top and the left and right mouse click buttons are more up-and-down rather than left-and-right. See the pic above to see what I'm talking about.

My ASUS E35M1-I Deluxe + Antec ISK 310-150 HTPC Project: HTPC Nirvana
post #34 of 456 Old 01-13-2010, 05:18 PM

Liked: 12
The name of the game is SCROLL WHEeL. Why manuf. don't get this I don't understand. Have owned the adesso for a while and the IOgear looks like a contender.
post #35 of 456 Old 01-13-2010, 05:22 PM
AVS Club Gold

Thanks,
Martice and jkellynewyork.

I think I'll try it. Need something that's a little more than a remote.

Thanks for the feedback

"The purpose of diplomacy is to prolong a crisis." Spock, Mark of Gideon, TOS
post #36 of 456 Old 01-13-2010, 08:48 PM

If you think about it, there are 4 functions to control with up to 3 input devices. The 4 functions include 1) typing, 2) cursor control, 3) scrolling, and 4) shuttle control. The 3 input devices include 1) keyboard, 2) mouse, and 3) remote control. My preference is to combine as many functions as possible into as few devices as possible. And since you need a keyboard in order to type, my preference is to combine as many of the 4 functions as possible into the keyboard.

Unfortunately, I have not found a keyboard that does all 4 functions well. I am currently using the Microsoft Remote Keyboard for Windows MCE. This keyboard is good for typing and for shuttle control, but it does not have a scroll wheel and it is horrible for cursor control. I have also used the VersaPoint RF keyboard, which has great range and is good for typing, but does not have shuttle control nor a scroll wheel and is also horrible for cursor control. I also tried the LiteOn Airboard, which many rave about. Personally, I thought it performed about the same as the VersaPoint RF, except that it didn't have the range because it is IR and not RF.

Anyway, I think the challenge in finding a good 4-function keyboard is finding one that has good, responsive cursor control, which depends on the mechanism used. The keyboards I mention use either a stick (Microsoft Remote Keyboard, Airboard) or a pad (VersaPoint RF) and neither of these mechanisms works well in my opinion. Another mechanism for cursor control is a trackball and the Adesso WKB-3200UB looks promising to me. Currently, to get past my cursor control issues, I use a separate Gyration Air Mouse. I like it because it works like a standard mouse when used on the coffee table next to my keyboard. And it also works like a remote control when used in the air, which is great when you want to sit back on the couch.
post #37 of 456 Old 01-14-2010, 08:25 AM

I have the nMedia version of the Adesso WKB-3200UB. I have found that the range if vastly improved if you use a USB cable to move the receiver from behind the computer to a different location with less interference. Still not great for large amounts of typing, but I try not to do that on my HTPC anyway.
post #38 of 456 Old 01-14-2010, 01:02 PM

Does anyone have the actual Adesso WKB-3200UB? I have read about this keyboard having problems with the wireless connection timing out. Is anyone experiencing this problem?
post #39 of 456 Old 01-14-2010, 02:53 PM

The iphone is the best wireless keyboard and mouse. It works great!! I used to use an RF set, they are still around but haven't touch them in months. The air mouse app for iphone is all you need.

It works from any distance because it uses wifi. It has a motion sensor that kind of works like a laser pointer but I mostly use its touchpad style mouse. Try it, there is no better mouse/keyboard, oh and it costs about 5 bucks

Franke46
post #40 of 456 Old 01-14-2010, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franke46 View Post

The iphone is the best wireless keyboard and mouse. It works great!! I used to use an RF set, they are still around but haven't touch them in months. The air mouse app for iphone is all you need.

It works from any distance because it uses wifi. It has a motion sensor that kind of works like a laser pointer but I mostly use its touchpad style mouse. Try it, there is no better mouse/keyboard, oh and it costs about 5 bucks

Franke46

Sorry, no iphone here.

Leaning towards going with the Lenovo gadget.
post #41 of 456 Old 01-15-2010, 11:39 AM

I understand it also works on iPod touch, in case someone is looking for an excuse to get one. I've had my iPhone for only a few months and although I've never been a mac user I'm very much impressed.

Franke46
post #42 of 456 Old 01-15-2010, 12:15 PM

I doubt the Iphone would be good for me either, I don't have the Iphone 3Gs. My Iphone is too damn slow to open apps, I doubt it would make for a good controller.
post #43 of 456 Old 01-15-2010, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

post #44 of 456 Old 01-15-2010, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfbar1 View Post

Quote 1:
Originally Posted by sriramc
I use a btc keyboard with trackball, only $22 at geeks.com. Works great with my win7 media center and has media center keys (guide, info, record, play, pause etc)

Quote 2:

Interesting. Looks like this one is out of stock.

BTW this is about 1/2 the price of some of the other cheaper options on newegg.

I have the BTC. I like the design and look, but 2 things NOT good

1- the performance is terrible, barely get 8 feet away and start to lose connection.

Hmm... My cheapo btc works great even from 25ft, (my living room extends into a breakfast area). But it is RF based and you may want to watch out for RF interference.

-------------------------------------------------------------
My windows 7 media center http://www.hellosri.com
post #45 of 456 Old 01-15-2010, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 376
I started with a Logitech Cordless Desktop MX (Bluetooth). On that one the Bluetooth receiver went bad. I was sent a Logitech Cordless Desktop MX 5000 Laser (Bluetooth) as a warranty replacement. Unfortunately after about 3 years, the left mouse button on the laser mouse has gone bad (registering multiple clicks when single clicking or trying to drag and drop). That is somewhat surprising since it's not used much.

I decided that this time around I didn't want a discrete mouse so I looked at RF & Bluetooth solutions with either integrated trackball or a touchpad. I settled on a touchpad. After being turned off by the cost, mixed reviews, and AAA battery usage of the Adesso WKB-4000UB and the Perixx Periboard 708, and apparently having not learned my Logitech lesson I ended up buying a Logitech PlayStation 3 Cordless MediaBoard Pro (Bluetooth) for $54 from Amazon. It is supposed to be delivered on Monday. I hope I like it.

I suppose I should point out that I don't play games or surf on the HTPC and mostly only use the keyboard and mouse to control media playback applications.
post #46 of 456 Old 01-15-2010, 06:36 PM
Advanced Member

iogear all the way!! I have tried the logitech mini and didn't like the trackpad. I have had the iogear keyboard for over 3 months and I love it. It just plains works, and the keys feel good too. I also have a xbox 360 controller with xpladder running on my computer I can use it like a mouse and program all the buttons on it for any key input you want. Its good when you are just navigating WMC or media browser and don't have to type.

I may try my iphone but the battery life in that thing is weak as it is and with my keyboard and controller I am pretty good.
post #47 of 456 Old 01-16-2010, 08:08 AM

I would get one of the trackball keyboards if they didn't require two hands to operate. Doesn't that get annoying?

I've been searching for if there's a way to remap a keyboard button to left click in windows, but there doesn't seem to be.
post #48 of 456 Old 01-16-2010, 11:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle784 View Post

I would get one of the trackball keyboards if they didn't require two hands to operate. Doesn't that get annoying?

I've been searching for if there's a way to remap a keyboard button to left click in windows, but there doesn't seem to be.

I think it is the best solution to be honest... Trackballs rock!!! And really for browsing the net with htpc keyboard your going to need two hands unless you have some kind of voice activated htpc or a glove like minority report lol.
post #49 of 456 Old 01-17-2010, 01:20 PM
Advanced Member

Here's a more thorough hands on with the Lenovo keypad/trackball:

http://matspointofview.blogspot.com/...ni-lenovo.html
post #50 of 456 Old 01-18-2010, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizily View Post

Does anyone have the actual Adesso WKB-3200UB? I have read about this keyboard having problems with the wireless connection timing out. Is anyone experiencing this problem?

I have the Adesso WKB-3000UB, that thing times out about every 15 minutes, range isn't too great as it seems to drop keys quite a bit. I have the receiver mounted on the front USB port of my HTPC too, so that one I could get better reception as well as so that I can re-sync the keyboard.

Granted I have my wireless N router behind my TV, so this could play into the lag I get with the keyboard, but with how close the receiver is to the keyboard when I use it (about 8-10 ft), it really shouldn't drop keys this much.
post #51 of 456 Old 01-18-2010, 06:38 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Another vote for the IOGear. It just works - and has a scroll wheel as well. My only complaint is the trackball feels REALLY cheap. Feels like a ping pong ball in there.
post #52 of 456 Old 01-18-2010, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoHo View Post

Another vote for the IOGear. It just works - and has a scroll wheel as well. My only complaint is the trackball feels REALLY cheap. Feels like a ping pong ball in there.

I am so suffering here with a nearly broken DSI keyboard BUT it has a full keyboard with scroll wheel and a trackball. That combination is so rare these days. I really want the IOGear because it reminds me of the Adesso but here is the rub. Just because it is a wireless keyboard with wheel and trackball doesn't mean squat unless it all works!

IOGear-poor trackball
Adesso-poor range
Vidabox - no wheel

Frustrating!

Ergogeek tells me that 2 new products will be launched next month for those interested:

Upcoming releases

1) Wireless Bluetooth keyboard with touchpad ( 100 feet range) Available mid February

2) Wireless Mini keyboard with trackball + scroll wheel (available around end February
post #53 of 456 Old 01-18-2010, 07:39 AM

Liked: 11
I tried several RF devices and they didn't give me the range I needed. Went with the Rocketfish Bluetooth mouse and keyboard (get the latest drivers from BroadCom). Took a while to get it to "connect" but once connected, it works great. This was a less than $100 solution for me. Great range for my situation.

marcus

Our Personal Website with movie and music catalog pages.

Marcus & LaMona Home Theater
post #54 of 456 Old 01-18-2010, 09:21 AM

Quote:

I am so suffering here with a nearly broken DSI keyboard BUT it has a full keyboard with scroll wheel and a trackball. That combination is so rare these days. I really want the IOGear because it reminds me of the Adesso but here is the rub. Just because it is a wireless keyboard with wheel and trackball doesn't mean squat unless it all works!

IOGear-poor trackball
Adesso-poor range
Vidabox - no wheel

Frustrating!

I totally sympathize! We are in a similar situation - limping along with a nearly broken old BTC all-in-one keyboard with the joystick mouse. I've researched all these keyboards, and the IOGear seems to be the most likely contender. And yet... I just can't get past the near unanimous "feels cheap" comments about the IOGear's trackball. Plus, at almost $60, it's not exactly a bargain, right?

Actually, I would prefer a keyboard with a joystick mouse. My 7 year old likes to play MAME and other emulator games on the HTPC, and it's just so easy with a joystick attached to the keyboard. But joystick-equipped keyboards seem to be going the way of the do-do bird.

Sigh.

Aj
post #55 of 456 Old 01-18-2010, 09:46 AM

I found the Dell XPS One wireless keyboard with built in track pad is a wonderful solution for a HTPC. The problem is that it only works with the XPS One unless you're willing to do a little work. Dell does not sell a RF dongle for that keyboard. To get it to work on any PC you need to wire in the internal RF receiver from a XPS One. The RF receiver is a standard USB device, although the board connector is not standard.

What's great about this keyboard is the built in media center controls and the trackpad.

LL
post #56 of 456 Old 01-18-2010, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Has anyone used this remote?

NuForce MCE RF Remote

I'm thinking about using a remote and buying a cheap usb keyboard to use as needed. Using my HTPC I need to use the keyboard only about <5% of the time.
post #57 of 456 Old 01-18-2010, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwpritchett View Post

I've been happy for 2 yrs with my Moneual MK700. It's RF (not bluetooth) but has excellent range, good battery life... and it's inexpensive. $30 at Xoxide

My only complaints would be that I haven't found a way to reprogram the quick launch application keys at the top and the left and right mouse click buttons are more up-and-down rather than left-and-right. See the pic above to see what I'm talking about.

I like this. What kind of range do you get with it?

EDIT: After reading the comments it seems that there are problems with the drivers and working with Windows 7.
post #58 of 456 Old 01-18-2010, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post

...I ended up buying a Logitech PlayStation 3 Cordless MediaBoard Pro (Bluetooth) for $54 from Amazon. It is supposed to be delivered on Monday. I hope I like it.

Well, I got it. It works fine with the Logitech Bluetooth Dongle that came with the Logitech MX 5000 Desktop. I don't have any BT drivers or Logitech software loaded, but it works none the less (XP SP3).

I gave it a quick test drive and it seems it will do the job I'm after just fine.
post #59 of 456 Old 01-19-2010, 11:52 AM
Advanced Member

Just took delivery of the gadget. So far I really like it. The size is amazingly small, very ergonomical. Keyboard is about the size of the iPhone sideways. This is the first time I'm using a trackball so i'm not quite used to it. I like the rubber felt back, kinda like the thinkpad's cover material. I was able to program the orange button up top to sleep the computer using Event ghost. Working distance is about 25" from the receiver. It shows up as HID keyboard and mouse devices so no additional drivers needed. My only peeve is that you can't type the F# keys so even tho it should work in BIOS, you can't actually get into it.

Best of all, It looks really nice on the coffee table, blends right in.
post #60 of 456 Old 01-19-2010, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

Has anyone used this remote?

NuForce MCE RF Remote

I'm thinking about using a remote and buying a cheap usb keyboard to use as needed. Using my HTPC I need to use the keyboard only about <5% of the time.

Yes; this is the same remote that nMedia pairs with the Adesso keyboard in their remote/keyboard combo pack...which I have.

I'm generally happy with it.

Pros: Good weight, sturdy feel to buttons, rubbery non-slick coating rather than cheap plastic.

Cons: Position of "OK" button is poor; have used it for a week and still need to look at the remote to make sure I don't hit another button in the cramped space. Need to engage numlock before entering channel numbers (admittedly, this might be a configuration setting I haven't found).

Reception was dicey at first with rear-panel receiver plug-in, but as dreman32 mentioned earlier, I too switched to using a USB extension cable. Positioning the RF receiver discretely at the front of my setup vastly improved my reception.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page