Best Keyboard and Mouse/Trackball - Whatcha got??? - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 456 Old 01-27-2010, 06:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
http://www.directron.com/kb008wb.html?gsear=1

One reseller in the US for Enermax that I can see via google. I'm 95% certain that this keyboard is a rebadged Zippy/Iogear and that definitely means you should be aware of the trackball issues.

Here are two of their forum messages complaining about their trackball...very familiar sounding...

http://forum.enermax.com/showthread.php?t=131
http://forum.enermax.com/showthread.php?t=162

I contacted IOgear about it and they said the following:

"We did notice there are some customers having concern about the trackball, after investigation, they are just several bad units out of the thousands that we have sold. For those customers who have purchased a bad unit, they have been received a new unit by processing an RMA since we offer a 3 year warranty on the unit. This is to ensure our customer having a good unit, so you can purchase our product worry free."

Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 456 Old 01-27-2010, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyeclad View Post

One reseller in the US for Enermax that I can see via google. I'm 95% certain that this keyboard is a rebadged Zippy/Iogear and that definitely means you should be aware of the trackball issues.

Here are two of their forum messages complaining about their trackball...very familiar sounding...

http://forum.enermax.com/showthread.php?t=131
http://forum.enermax.com/showthread.php?t=162

I contacted IOgear about it and they said the following:

"We did notice there are some customers having concern about the trackball, after investigation, they are just several bad units out of the thousands that we have sold. For those customers who have purchased a bad unit, they have been received a new unit by processing an RMA since we offer a 3 year warranty on the unit. This is to ensure our customer having a good unit, so you can purchase our product worry free."

Good luck.

I see, thanks for the heads up. Man, finding a decent HTPC keyboard is turning into a mess. I am sick of removing my keyboard and mouse from my desktop in the office, and hooking it to my htpc.....and then back again. I do have a remote for basic navigation, but nothing beats a keyboard.
post #93 of 456 Old 01-28-2010, 06:55 AM

post #94 of 456 Old 01-28-2010, 12:12 PM

I ordered the lenovo keyboard at the full $60 but mainly because I need something eventually. Right now the backorder is 1 month so hopefully something better will come along first. I doubt anything backordered for a month is going to go on sale anytime soon. Unless the folks at sd or fw find a loophole (which they will).

Why is the dinovo mini always on sale for like $40 for the mac but 120 for the PC?
post #95 of 456 Old 01-28-2010, 12:22 PM

I'm glad I pulled the trigger on the lenovo before xmas. got it about two weeks ago, and I absolutely love it. sure, the keys aren't all in the "normal" places, but it was $30, it's small and it is perfectly functional. range seems decent, and typing on the thing is a PITA, but it's no worse than texting on a phone, and you have to expect to sacrifice something. I'm not sure what could be improved, you get used to the keys and size after using it for awhile. I guess the trackball could be a little bit "tighter" cause it moves the cursor when you jiggle the remote.

HTPC always in progess...
things I've learned here:
"the sound of a power cord" is BS.
turn your center speaker 90 degrees.
avoid women who require WAF in a HT.
post #96 of 456 Old 01-28-2010, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Have you guys seen this?

http://www.onsale.com/ttsvr/p/515565...e&source=BWBCJ

diNovo Edge for the Mac, but IIRC, these work fine on PC
post #97 of 456 Old 01-28-2010, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 205
post #98 of 456 Old 01-28-2010, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

Terrible review...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1080381

CRAP! About the only keyboard that seems to work well is the Logitech dinovo edge. I hate the price though.
post #99 of 456 Old 01-28-2010, 05:49 PM

How well does the Microsoft Wireless Entertainment Desktop 7000 work with Win 7 64? Also, how well does this setup work with an HTPC?
post #100 of 456 Old 01-28-2010, 05:57 PM

Liked: 11
the lenovo mini keyboard and trackball is really nice.

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/c...LAID=445662708
post #101 of 456 Old 01-29-2010, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogenater View Post

I just bought a Rocketfish (Best Buy brand) bluetooth mouse and keyboard. It was a pain to set up, the packaging was hard to open, and IT DOESN'T WORK FROM 18' AWAY. Maybe there are some settings I could change to make it better, but I am about ready to return it and try something else.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Rocketfi...&skuId=9432303

It has been my experience (Logitech DiNovo Media Desktop) that most antenna-less, Class 2 (2.5 mW) dongles make for a poor radio link.

I upgraded to a Sena Parani UD-100 Class 1 (100 mW) dongle with a 5 dBi gain antenna. The difference was night and day. I mounted the dongle and antenna on the wall above the TV.

The only downside is you need a wired keyboard for BIOS adjustment, it only works in windows. Not that big a deal.

Try it, you'll like it.

Lifespeed
post #102 of 456 Old 01-29-2010, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adidas4275 View Post

the lenovo mini keyboard and trackball is really nice.

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/c...LAID=445662708

Unfortunately requested item was not available.
post #103 of 456 Old 01-29-2010, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davinleeds View Post

Anyone tried this? For htpc?
http://usb.brando.com/usb-wireless-h...7c034d015.html

I ordered this one from here:

http://efo.buy-lowest.com/index.php?...roducts_id=180

Placed my order about a week ago. It ships (literally) from Hong Kong. So, I hope it doesn't take TOO long to get here. It was $40 +$5 shipping when I ordered it from the above site. Now it looks like its $45 before shipping. It sounds like what I want... I also wanted something that could sit somewhat inconspicuously on my end table w/o my wife freaking out. I didn't want something so big I have to put it on my lap to use. I don't plan on doing that much typing. And lastly I didn't really want to spend more that $50 for something I didn't figure I'll be using all that much.

We'll see how I like it...
post #104 of 456 Old 01-29-2010, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwb33 View Post

I ordered this one from here:

http://efo.buy-lowest.com/index.php?...roducts_id=180

Placed my order about a week ago. It ships (literally) from Hong Kong. So, I hope it doesn't take TOO long to get here. It was $40 +$5 shipping when I ordered it from the above site. Now it looks like its $45 before shipping. It sounds like what I want... I also wanted something that could sit somewhat inconspicuously on my end table w/o my wife freaking out. I didn't want something so big I have to put it on my lap to use. I don't plan on doing that much typing. And lastly I didn't really want to spend more that $50 for something I didn't figure I'll be using all that much.

We'll see how I like it...

Looks interesting. Be sure to let us know how you like it.

Meanwhile I am still searching...
post #105 of 456 Old 01-29-2010, 08:18 PM

I actually use my iPod Touch for my keyboard.... I bought an app called "Air Mouse" and it can control my HTPC via wifi.... it's only $0.99.... good buy if you ask me.
post #106 of 456 Old 01-29-2010, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

Meanwhile I am still searching...

Yeah, me too!
post #107 of 456 Old 01-29-2010, 10:06 PM

We have the Lenovo Mini Wireless Remote Keyboard Trackball Mouse. Love it works great and takes up little couch room. Works great with windows 7 media center with power dvd 9. You plug receiver in and it works.
LL
post #108 of 456 Old 01-30-2010, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyeclad View Post

One reseller in the US for Enermax that I can see via google.

Looks like Newegg carries it too!
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16823219005
post #109 of 456 Old 01-30-2010, 11:28 AM

Well, I just bought the Enermax from Newegg.
I will do a small review after I receive it. I agree with Skyeclad that it's most likely a rebadged Zippy/Iogear but with much better build quality. We will see. It has a three year warranty, and Neweggs standard return policy included so there is really nothing to lose.

I actually have a hand held remote that will be used 95% of the time for navigating through media center and HULU. However, the keyboard will come in handy for general HTPC maintenance, and light surfing.
post #110 of 456 Old 01-31-2010, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keizer View Post

Well, I just bought the Enermax from Newegg.
I will do a small review after I receive it. I agree with Skyeclad that it's most likely a rebadged Zippy/Iogear but with much better build quality. We will see. It has a three year warranty, and Neweggs standard return policy included so there is really nothing to lose.

I actually have a hand held remote that will be used 95% of the time for navigating through media center and HULU. However, the keyboard will come in handy for general HTPC maintenance, and light surfing.

Hey that's cool. I hope that Enermax requested an improved trackball when they commissioned their version. Let us know how you like it. Most negative reviews regarding the iogear board talk about a very light, loose and hollow feeling trackball. Some had issues using the trackball at an angle due to how loose it is in the socket.

Personally I'm still on the fence because this will be my third htpc keyboard and I don't want another lemon.
post #111 of 456 Old 01-31-2010, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifespeed View Post

It has been my experience (Logitech DiNovo Media Desktop) that most antenna-less, Class 2 (2.5 mW) dongles make for a poor radio link.

I upgraded to a Sena Parani UD-100 Class 1 (100 mW) dongle with a 5 dBi gain antenna. The difference was night and day. I mounted the dongle and antenna on the wall above the TV.

The only downside is you need a wired keyboard for BIOS adjustment, it only works in windows. Not that big a deal.

Try it, you'll like it.

I am interested, where did you buy it from?
post #112 of 456 Old 01-31-2010, 09:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogenater View Post

I am interested, where did you buy it from?

I bought it from one of Sena's distributors in the midwest. They were out of stock at the time. But I am sure you could buy it directly from Sena.

I would rate the Sena bluetooth purchase as one of the top three bang-for-buck improvements to my HTPC. Don't forget the 5 dBi antenna.

Lifespeed
post #113 of 456 Old 01-31-2010, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Due to the poor performance of many bluetooth keyboards and mice, "RF" has become popular. Of course, bluetooth and RF are both RF, but for the sake of simplicity we'll call them as the marketplace does.

Here is my perspective: RF is not such a good idea because there are many players in the 2.4 GHz spectrum in our household: 802.11 wifi, bluetooth, and now, we are introducing a third or fourth interloper with RF keyboard and possibly cordless phone.

The best thing is to just use bluetooth and wifi as these systems are aware of multiple devices on their own network, as well as the 'other' network. They can play nice together.

The solution to the 'bad' bluetooth mice and keyboards is simply a Class 1 adapter with a good antenna. Notice your wifi router actually has an antenna? Well, that works well for bluetooth also. Big surprise.

Edit: Ideally you want to stick with Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR (Enhanced Data Rate) or newer devices only. Old Bluetooth 1.1 devices paired to the network will cause a performance hit.

Lifespeed
post #114 of 456 Old 02-01-2010, 11:28 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 18
well i am either thinking of going with the Dinovo mini or the Dinovo Edge or even possible the small cell phone looking remote picture at the top of the page. i want something small that is built in mouse and keyboard. I do like the idea of the keyboard typing being like a text message.

Any other thoughts ? Price isnt a problem its getting the right item and not having to send it back.

what are you guys doing any new updates on products ?
jj
post #115 of 456 Old 02-01-2010, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blown50 View Post

We have the Lenovo Mini Wireless Remote Keyboard Trackball Mouse. Love it works great and takes up little couch room. Works great with windows 7 media center with power dvd 9. You plug receiver in and it works.

The part that hooks into the computer - does it have a cord? My computer is actually behind my entertainment center so there is no direct line of sight. I also have a IR for my windows remote though that I use (has a cord). Do you know if can share that?
post #116 of 456 Old 02-01-2010, 01:30 PM
Advanced Member

It's RF so no liine of sight necessary
post #117 of 456 Old 02-01-2010, 02:48 PM

I went to check how close my lenovo is to shipping and now the order status gives me an error. Also, it's not even listed as existing on lenovo's website. I'm seriously thinking of calling and cancelling. It's bad enough that they have a 1 month backorder.

Is my only real option that blackberry looking keyboard and the logitech mini? I just want a compact keyboard with trackball/pad/joystick. Better yet if one also had a all in one remote attached to it but I haven't seen that anywhere.
post #118 of 456 Old 02-01-2010, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinqian View Post

It's RF so no liine of sight necessary

That is not true, you still need line of sight for RF or bluetooth to function properly. The difference is RF can 'see' through wood and glass but not metal.

Lifespeed
post #119 of 456 Old 02-01-2010, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifespeed View Post

That is not true, you still need line of sight for RF or bluetooth to function properly. The difference is RF can 'see' through wood and glass but not metal.

um i have bluetooth and i do NOT need line of sight. i can sit in a room with two walls between me and my tv and the keyboard will still work.
post #120 of 456 Old 02-01-2010, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page