Best Keyboard and Mouse/Trackball - Whatcha got??? - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-08-2010, 08:32 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just keep the shipping expectations in line and you won't regret it one bit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2010, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 241
I was reading over at slickdeals that you need to just call and threaten to cancel and they will ship it out the next day. I'll wait a couple of weeks and then do this.

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1855753
Old 02-09-2010, 02:49 PM
Advanced Member

Do you all use gremote? I also use it along with my dinovo edge and its amazing. It's an app that you use on any wm or android device and has a bunch of cool features including using the g-sensor for the mouse. I have a touch pro 2 which I think is the perfect size a remote should be as it has a slideout keyboard and everything. The normal version of gremote is free and the pro is about $15 i believe. Also it connects through wifi or i believe bluetooth. Using a phone as a regular remote seems a little weird but i bet you could find an older PDA with wifi for cheap and use it. I suggest trying it out with your phone. It's pretty cool to be able to pullout your phone from your pocket and hit play anywhere in the house and it turns on the music. I hope someone makes a device similar to pda size that's wifi and connects similar to this.
Old 02-10-2010, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinqian View Post

Just keep the shipping expectations in line and you won't regret it one bit.

Sweet! Got an email today that it has shipped already!
Old 02-10-2010, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

Sweet! Got an email today that it has shipped already!

Mine too. Fastest thing to ever ship from Lenovo.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:24 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I still haven't let this thing go back yet, even though I have a pe-paid shipping label.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-005-_-Product

I bought a USB cable extension and relocated the receiver, and it makes a huge difference. The fact is, this keyboard has great layout of the scroll wheel, L/R mouse buttons, and trackball. I have actually gotten really good at navigating with this keyboard.

I have some time left to return it still, but the thought of doing so is kinda depressing since I like almost everything about it. Plus the other offerings aren't all that tempting.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keizer View Post

I bought a USB cable extension and relocated the receiver, and it makes a huge difference.

Glad to see someone actually paying attention to the radio link, instead of burying it behind a metal box and complaining about it.

Lifespeed
Old 02-10-2010, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifespeed View Post

Glad to see someone actually paying attention to the radio link, instead of burying it behind a metal box and complaining about it.

Yeah, I think some people get frustrated because they want to be able to hide the dongle out of sight, and then expect their keyboard to function 100% of the time.

I brought the receiver forward after having it in the back, and it made a huge difference. I could easily put the receiver in the front of the pc case using the front USB port, but I am afraid it would get bumped and broken off. Instead I have the USB extension cable connected in the back, and the receiver attached to the front side of the case where it can't get bumped.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I could easily put the receiver in the front of the pc case using the front USB port, but I am afraid it would get bumped and broken off. Instead I have the USB extension cable connected in the back, and the receiver attached to the front side of the case where it can't get bumped.

Good thinking, it would have eventually been snapped off. Been there.

Lifespeed
Old 02-10-2010, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have the Adesso. There are plenty of reviews of this keyboard and clones with quality issues but I liked the look and features so I gave it a shot anyway. The first one had 3 keys (H, G, space) that didn't work. I returned it for another that has been working great so far. I love the contoured shape, trackball, and scroll wheel. The "mouse buttons" are right where they belong and the keys are responsive. Some reviewes mentioned limited range but I've walked back 20ft from the cpmputer with no problems. I do have the USB reciever in a extension cradle that has line of sight into my viewing room so that might be helping.

I'd love to try out the diNovo mini if I can find one locally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucky08016 View Post

Living room HTPC:

Gyration Air Music Remote Combo

Theater room:

Adesso Wireless Keyboard with trackball

The Adesso is going to be replaced with the Logitech diNovo Mini.

So far my favorite is the Gyration Air Music Remote. Highly recommended!!! Think WiiMote in a RF/IR universal remote control.

Old 02-10-2010, 04:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I bought a USB cable extension and relocated the receiver, and it makes a huge difference.

I did the same thing. Mines tucked under my tv stand and hasn't given me any problems
Old 02-11-2010, 01:56 PM

Ok, this track ball on the Enermax was really giving me the blues yesterday. Re-locating the receiver helped, but it is just a POS plain and simple when it comes to the track ball. It is now officially on its way back to Newegg.

Today I went to Best buy and bought a Logitech Cordless Desktop wave pro that comes with the MX1100 mouse. FINALLY I have complete control of my HTPC. Yes it's a full size keyboard, but after playing around with all these cheesy neutered keyboards and remotes, I can finally navigate 100% with this set up.

No dropped keys, and the mouse works perfectly!!! I'm happy. I wish you guys luck with whatever you end up with.
Old 02-11-2010, 05:03 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Can you control MCE with it? I am very tempted to get an ipod touch just for this!

Any cons at all you can mention? Anything it can't do? Someone mentioned lack of directional touchpad or arrows...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlohojo7 View Post

I am telling you man iphone app is the way to go if you have an iphone.

jj

Old 02-11-2010, 05:35 PM

Quote:

Ok, this track ball on the Enermax was really giving me the blues yesterday. Re-locating the receiver helped, but it is just a POS plain and simple when it comes to the track ball. It is now officially on its way back to Newegg.

Today I went to Best buy and bought a Logitech Cordless Desktop wave pro that comes with the MX1100 mouse. FINALLY I have complete control of my HTPC. Yes it's a full size keyboard, but after playing around with all these cheesy neutered keyboards and remotes, I can finally navigate 100% with this set up.

No dropped keys, and the mouse works perfectly!!! I'm happy. I wish you guys luck with whatever you end up with.

Keizer,

Sorry to see you go, but I get it. I've been tempted to just go back to some Adesso clone and hope that I could get the wireless dongle in a good position. Unfortunately, then I remember my old Adesso clone and how often it missed keystrokes even with an extension cable. You see my couch is 17 feet away from the HTPC so that's why good range is important for me.

Right now I have a full keyboard with trackball, wheel, numpad AND a built in mini remote with MCE commands. Its a big one but that's not the problem. It feels cheap. There's a delay when I type where nothing shows up. I change batteries almost every 2 weeks and now the trackball is hard to move in the socket! So, an ok design is held back by low quality

Enjoy your new keyboard!
Old 02-11-2010, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyeclad View Post

You see my couch is 17 feet away from the HTPC so that's why good range is important for me.

I recommend the Logitech MX5500 Bluetooth 2.0 desktop. Good quality hardware, and a standardized radio link useable for multiple purposes.

If you should have any range issues that are not addressed by appropriate location of the dongle, you have the freedom, by virtue of the standardized nature of the Bluetooth format, to switch to a high-power and/or antenna'd dongle which is sure to satisfy you.

A reliable, long-range Bluetooth link can be very useful. Think Skype, or other VoIP communications.

Lifespeed
Old 02-11-2010, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Lenovo mini all the way.

Got the first one for $30, got 2 more for $42 each. I am in love with those things, they work during the boot / post.

Good time to buy computers and computer parts: NEVER
Old 02-11-2010, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Sweet. Just ordered this thing for $44.51 shipped. Now let's hope it actually ships.

I think my search is over.

Another vote for the Lenovo. The USB dongle on this thing is about as big as my thumbnail.

I can't get over how small the actual unit is as well. It is about the same size as my regular Logitech mouse.

Range is awesome. No problems while sitting about 15 feet away from the HTPC.

Typing is a little challenging compared to a full sized keyboard, but then again it should be given the size.

So far this thing is absolutely perfect for what I needed. And the price was perfect as well.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifespeed View Post

I recommend the Logitech MX5500 Bluetooth 2.0 desktop. Good quality hardware, and a standardized radio link useable for multiple purposes.

On your recommendation, that's actually the keyboard I set out to buy today at Best buy because they have it on sale right now. But, when I got there, they were out. I have 30 days to return this other Logitech, so maybe I will get the MX5500 just for the blu tooth feature.

With that said, I do like the looks of the Logitech Cordless Desktop wave pro keyboard better, and I also like the mouse better. I have no use for the display on the MX5500. The reviews say that it stays on and drains batteries unless you turn the keyboard off after using it. But, who knows, I have never tried it.

I did use this new Logitech Cordless Desktop wave pro keyboard for a few hours today, and it was just like having a corded keyboard and mouse. No issues at all from 14' back.

By the way, the Logitech Cordless Desktop wave pro received editors choice award at CNET.
http://reviews.cnet.com/keyboards/lo...-33300017.html
Old 02-11-2010, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

By the way, the Logitech Cordless Desktop wave pro received editors choice award at CNET.
http://reviews.cnet.com/keyboards/lo...-33300017.html

No doubt the wave pro is a good keyboard. Logitech seems to do a good job. I agree the display on the MX5500 is of questionable value. But it is one of the few (only?) quality Bluetooth setups out there right now.

I have just found so many uses for Bluetooth outside of keyboard/mouse that I have decided to stick with that format. For a few years I was cell-phone-only. Then I moved into a stucco house with chicken wire in the walls (that line-of-sight with metal thing again!). I got tired of the crappy cell phone audio and switched to VoIP using bluetooth (headset) or wifi (iPhone). I am very impressed with the call quality and reliability at $11/mo USA and Canada.

Lifespeed
Old 02-12-2010, 06:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
do the keys light up with the new palm remote by Lenovo?
Old 02-12-2010, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryep View Post

do the keys light up with the new palm remote by Lenovo?

No, one of the few negatives of the device.

What is interesting is if you look "inside" the trackball you can see the red light of the trackball's sensor. You would think that they could have somehow made the keys light up using that red light had they just made the lettering on the keys transparent.
Old 02-12-2010, 04:33 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Can you control MCE with it? I am very tempted to get an ipod touch just for this!

Any cons at all you can mention? Anything it can't do? Someone mentioned lack of directional touchpad or arrows...

Quote:

Another vote for the Lenovo. The USB dongle on this thing is about as big as my thumbnail.

I can't get over how small the actual unit is as well. It is about the same size as my regular Logitech mouse.

Range is awesome. No problems while sitting about 15 feet away from the HTPC.

Typing is a little challenging compared to a full sized keyboard, but then again it should be given the size.

So far this thing is absolutely perfect for what I needed. And the price was perfect as well.

Old 02-12-2010, 04:49 PM

By the way, the Logitech Cordless Desktop wave pro keyboard and MX 1100 mouse combo is on sale at Costco for $68.00!! In store only. I saw it today. I'm having Best buy price match it for me. I paid over $100.00.
Old 02-12-2010, 04:53 PM

For anyone who has a droid or other android based phone (instead or settling for an iphone . . . just kidding), gremote pro is a wonderful program that allows for touchpad and keyboard control of about any windows program. It connects using wifi or bluetooth. www.gbmsoftware.com
Old 02-13-2010, 05:57 AM

I am using the Logitech Bluetooth PS3 keyboard and like it very much. The trackpad can be a little flaky but I think that was just because the batteries were getting low. My bluetooth dongle is on the back of my htpc, so I might try to put it in one of the front usbs and see if that improves the signal.

The one thing that bugs me about it is that it doesn't have a windows button, but that's not a major issue really.
Old 02-13-2010, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdk0219 View Post

I am using the Logitech Bluetooth PS3 keyboard and like it very much. The trackpad can be a little flaky but I think that was just because the batteries were getting low. My bluetooth dongle is on the back of my htpc, so I might try to put it in one of the front usbs and see if that improves the signal.

Very likely you'll see an improvement. If you're PC is located down low, you might even consider a USB extension cable to get your 'antenna' up higher.

Lifespeed
Old 02-17-2010, 02:04 AM

BTC 9039URF III Wireless Multi-Media Keyboard with Laser TrackBall.

I am new so cant put a link in for it.

I would love to buy the divino edge but am just building my first HTPC so would rather put more money into the actual computer right now. I found this BTC keyboard for under $50 but have not been able to find any reviews for it. It does say it is new on there website. Any input on the BTC 9039 would be appreciated.
Old 02-17-2010, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Old 02-17-2010, 05:48 PM

Quote:

@amheck:Thanks for catching this news and sharing.

Looks like a Dinovo Edge clone without many of the features of the Edge, unfortunately with a very close price tag.

Seems over-priced for what it looks like it is. To me it looks like it's a "upgraded material" version of several other keyboards. I'd price it closer to the Enermax clone of the Zippy/Iogear in the $85-90 range.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:44 AM

I use the Dinovo Edge and I recently purchased the Lenovo Multimedia Keyboard.

You can check out some reviews of it below:

Unboxing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOM8p49OHgk

In Depth: (by me)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qoAYHTSikc