WINDOWS 7 64 Bit LAPTOP HTPC POSSIBILITIES - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 01-09-2010, 09:41 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
For those of us, for what ever reasons, who prefer to use a laptop as our HTPC, what are the purposes, possibilities, available softwares, accessories, and processes to have a functional HTPC?

Please post preferences (of softwares, accessories, etc.) to add to a Windows 7 64 bit laptop that help to make it better and more functional. Please indicate the purpose and/or function of suggested accessories and softwares.

My laptop is a Dell Studio 1555 equiped with:

HDMI 3.1 output

4X Slot Load Bluray (BDRW) Rewritaable Drive (BD Read and Write)

Back-Lit Keyboard

4G DDR2 800 MHz 2 Dimm

Intel Core 2 Duo P8700 2.53 GHz, 1066Mhz, 3ML2

High Def. 1080p Hight Brightness LED Display

S and P Drop-in-Box Marcom for DHS Notebooks (whatever thisis)

Dell Resource DVD, Back-up 1555

500G 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive Free Fall Sensor

Roxio Creator 10 Premiere Blu-Ray

Cyberlink Power DVD 8.3 Blue Ray Disk Playback

Windows 7 64 bit

Intel WiFi Link 5100 5100 802 11ABNHalf Mini Card

512 MB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570

Na-sayers and negative comments are not useful. Helpful, positive comments and suggestions for adding and acquiring accessories and software that will enhance above laptop is really appreciated. I hope others like me will post and make this an enjoyable, fun, and helpful thread! Thanks for your participation!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 01-09-2010, 09:53 PM

Liked: 10
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1211915
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1200731
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1175824

There's heaps more posts on this subject if you take the time to do a title search for 'software'. The question has been answered many times.
post #3 of 13 Old 01-10-2010, 11:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
I suggest that in order to get maximum benefit from your ATI graphics card I suggest upgrading your Cyberlink software to PowerDVD9 Ultra.
Without knowing the details of your 1080p HDTV, or PJ or of the sound system in your Home Theatre it is now easy to make any other suggestions.
Also if you have a TV tuner connected to yoiu PC any details about it would be usefull.
post #4 of 13 Old 01-10-2010, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford View Post

I suggest that in order to get maximum benefit from your ATI graphics card I suggest upgrading your Cyberlink software to PowerDVD9 Ultra.

Without knowing the details of your 1080p HDTV, or PJ or of the sound system in your Home Theatre it is now easy to make any other suggestions.
Also if you have a TV tuner connected to your PC any details about it would be usefull.

I was having BR problems with my laptop. Dell is replacing it. As soon as I get it and everything is working well I'll follow your suggestion with the PowerDVD9 Ultra.

I am currently connecting my laptop via. HDMI to an InFocus 76 720p projector. It isn't high end but I have been very happy with it as I've had no problems (3 years old), the picture is very good in ambient light and great in a dark room. I hope to get a 1080p late this year and use the 720 outside or as a backup.

7.1 Sovereign Receiver setup, Changer, and Entre.

Samsung BD-UP 5000 HD DVD/BR/DVD player.

My speakers are 3 large Altec Lansing "Voice of the Theater" (late '60s before Altec changed owners) L/R/C
Bose 901s L/R Surround w/equalizer
Bose 301s rear L/R
Sony sub.

Dell has a plug in TV Turner card but I am open to suggestions.

Dell also has a WiFi wireless that I plan on using to send sound from my HTPC to my receiver which does not have HDMI. Again I'm open to suggestions.

I would also like to eliminate the Projector HDMI cable and go wireless with the video as well as the audio and figure out how to operate the HTPC with a remote control. Any suggestions.
Thanks for your help and making me feel welcome here! I had posted in a couple of other threads and the responses I got were very nice and suggested I post here.
post #5 of 13 Old 01-10-2010, 10:07 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etheesdad View Post

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1211915
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1200731
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1175824

There's heaps more posts on this subject if you take the time to do a title search for 'software'. The question has been answered many times.

Thanks for the three suggestions above. I'm new in this HTPC arena so a lot of the lingo is over my head. I also wory about Windows 7 compatability with a lot of these listed software items.
post #6 of 13 Old 01-22-2010, 10:09 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Dell came through. Sent me a new Studio 1555 and a tech. with a new BR drive. Anyone have a preference as to what brand of blank BR disks to use when burning BR movies?
Thanks!
post #7 of 13 Old 01-22-2010, 10:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Will the laptop be a "part time" HTPC or be connected to the TV full time?
Laptops do have a significant power savings advantage compared to an HTPC, but are much more expensive for the same performance.
post #8 of 13 Old 01-23-2010, 12:48 AM

The HP Envy 15 was just refreshed and now offers an ATI 5830 with HDMI out, USB 3.0 ports, Esata and Win7x64. It is ideal for HTPC use.

Flawless 23.976p, HD Bitstreaming via PowerDVD9, High Speed External connectivity.

It is fairly small at 1" Thick, and can be had for around $1k with a Core i5 and an HP coupon code.

Order it with the matching slot load USB BDrom (powered by single usb hookup, not dual) and you are set, or just stick to iso.

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/sh...notebooks/ENVY
post #9 of 13 Old 01-23-2010, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Servicetech571 View Post

Will the laptop be a "part time" HTPC or be connected to the TV full time?
Laptops do have a significant power savings advantage compared to an HTPC, but are much more expensive for the same performance.

It is connected to my projector pretty much all the time. I work on the laptop while watching movies, TV, or whatever. So yes it is full time but I can easily pull the HDMI and take it with me wherever I go. My next project is an external wireless usb card to send sound from my computer to the receiver, although the audio enhanced IDT HD Sound Dell uses is amazing for a computer. I'm wondering if it will enhance the broadcast signal. I look forward to being able to wirelessly connect the laptop to the projector and eliminate the HDMI cable, but that isn't a priority right now.

I realize a laptop is more expensive than a desktop but I prefer the laptop so I can move it easily for travel to another country, state, city, or room, and, it cost $1000 less than my Inspirion 9100 I bought 6 years ago.

As mentioned above Dell replaced my new laptop as there were problems with the BR drive. They sent the replacement laptop with a regular DVD drive, then had to send a tech. with a new BR drive. Had to call them again as it was not what I originally ordered but they are now going to send the tech. back with the BR R/W (Read & Write to BR) that I originally ordered. In the process of replacing the computer they upgraded the internal WiFi card or so the description on the paperwork shows. Don't know if it was intentional, a gift for the hassle, or accidental. I'm not impressed with the way they get the product out but I am impressed that they are working hard to get it right.
post #10 of 13 Old 03-02-2012, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford View Post

Also if you have a TV tuner connected to yoiu PC any details about it would be usefull.

Upgraded some time ago to 9 Ultra. Worked fine until the new BR Star Wars the Complete Sage. Won't play it. Dell sent me a 9.5 and everything now seems to play but major buffering problems on all my discs.

Any ideas? Will upgrading beyond 9.5 (I didn't realize there was a 9.5) solve these problems for sure. I purchased a rather expensive software and hardware warranty that is good 'till 2015. I hate to pay for upgrades too.

Thanks-
post #11 of 13 Old 03-02-2012, 07:42 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
the computer have plenty of power for HTPC but the video is old and weak.
post #12 of 13 Old 03-03-2012, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlievoviii View Post

the computer have plenty of power for HTPC but the video is old and weak.

The computer (Dell 1555 laptop) is the same age as the video (BR burner/player) that came with it.

Are you referring to the video card?
It came with it also.

Are you saying Dell may have used an outdated Video card?

Thanks for your reply. I am going to call Dell next week to see where they are on the ordered BR drive. I'll asking them about the video card/processor.

I appreciate your response.
post #13 of 13 Old 03-04-2012, 05:49 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by James A. McGahee View Post

The computer (Dell 1555 laptop) is the same age as the video (BR burner/player) that came with it.

Are you referring to the video card?
It came with it also.

Are you saying Dell may have used an outdated Video card?

Thanks for your reply. I am going to call Dell next week to see where they are on the ordered BR drive. I'll asking them about the video card/processor.

I appreciate your response.

a weak video card have nothing to do with new or old or out dated. You can have the newest video card and it's still weak.. It's about the model and specs that count.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page