which type of HDTV tuner to use? Hybrid/Dual/Combo - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-16-2010, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi All,

Apologize in advance if this is already posted elsewhere.

I am trying to setup my first even HTPC and am confused about the tuner I need. I have comcast digital cable with HD subscription which broadcasts Analog and Digital Clear QAM channels. I also have a separate antenna to get digital over-the-air ATSC channels.

The goal is to be able to be able to seamlessly view and record Analog, ATSC and ClearQAM channels from these two sources using Windows Media Center without having to mess with switching wires or configurations all the time.

Now do I need a dual TV tuner or two/three separate TV tuners? The dual tuners I was considering are the Hauppaguge tuners (HVR 1600, or the HVR 1950). However the website seems to call one of the two inputs to be for analog cable channels and the other for ATSC/Clear QAM. Now this confuses me. Can one of the inputs in a dual tuner, be only used for Digital or Analog at a time? If so, what do I do about the fact that both Analog and Clear QAM channels are coming down the same wire? My HDTV PC seems to have no problems with showing both types of channels.

So, will buying these dual tuners work for me? If not, what kind of tuner do I need to be able to seamlessly view and record Analog, ATSC and ClearQAM channels using Windows Media Center without having to mess with wires or configurations all the time?

Please help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-17-2010, 08:24 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The 1600/1800 uses 1 ntsc tuner and 1 atsc tuner. Thus you can record one analog and one digital channel simultaneously.

The 1250 uses a single tuner that can tune both digital and analog, but only one at a time.

THe 2250 is basically 2 x 1250. It can record the following simultaneously: 1digital & 1digital, 1digital & 1analog, or 1analog & 1analog.

There is also the Avermedia Duet which can record 2 digital channels simultaneously, but no analog tuner is built in. Careful with this tuner, especially off ebay, lots of reports of tuner disappearing and/or bad recordings (first hand knowledge of this). Supposedly the newer tuners in the supply chain don't have this problem, but I don't know this for a fact.
post #3 of 4 Old 01-17-2010, 09:27 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Just to add what Jator has already stated, most digital tuners can tune either ClearQAM OR ATSC but not both as the same time. So if both QAM and ATSC are something you want you will have to get more than one digital tuner card.

The 1600 has two coaxal inputs. One is for the digital tuner (either ATSC OR clear QAM) the other is for the analog tuner. If want to use the digital tuner for QAM then you would put a splitter on your cable to feed both the digital and analog tuners on the card. Of course this would leave out the ATSC so you would need another card for that.
post #4 of 4 Old 01-17-2010, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagor View Post

Just to add what Jator has already stated, most digital tuners can tune either ClearQAM OR ATSC but not both as the same time. So if both QAM and ATSC are something you want you will have to get more than one digital tuner card.

The 1600 has two coaxal inputs. One is for the digital tuner (either ATSC OR clear QAM) the other is for the analog tuner. If want to use the digital tuner for QAM then you would put a splitter on your cable to feed both the digital and analog tuners on the card. Of course this would leave out the ATSC so you would need another card for that.

Agreed
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page