My HTPC is now nearly perfect. Just missing a tiny little thing :) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 01-19-2010, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi All!

Im new to this forum, and i hope maybe some of you out here can help me with a little problem. First maybe i should list up my configration on my HTPC. Here it is

CPU: Intel Core i5 660 3.33Ghz
Mem: 8GB DDR3
MB: Asus soemthing with P55 chipset
GPU: Asus Radeon 5770
Opt: LG Bluray REcorder

The software i use is

Win7 HP 64bit
Catalyst 9.12 Hotfix
Any DVD HD for ripping
Virtual Clone drive for mounting
Power DVD9 Ultra with the latest patch.

Also i have a Yamaha RX-V1800 receiver and a Epson TW1000 Full HD projector. I also have a PS3 60GB version and a Panasonic BD60 Bluray standalone player.

After building this systems i have used weeks to testing BD iso files and standard BD disk. Everything works fine but some issues there are.
The picture quality are outstanding. At least as good as the Panasonic BD60. And the sound are the same. The receiver shows True HD and im happy with that. But here are the issues. My settings in PDVD9 is that i have activated the hardware acceleration. And in the Avivo settings in the CCC panel is set to not use aplicay\ ion settings. I have deactivatet noise removing and dynamic contrast and set deinterlacing to automatic.
Then i set the monitor output in Win7 to 23HZ wich i understand is the same as 23.967. When i do this and start a movie everything is perfect for some minutes. Then suddenly the movie stutters for some seconds randomly and then its OK again. Then its randomly stutter here and there in the movie. The kind of stuttering can be described as close to a kind of slow motion. Hard to explain though. Ive been fooling around for a while with the settings and the only thing thats stop this stuttering is when i activte GPU scaling. Set the deinterlace to vectorbased and use pulldown. Then it solve all my problem. BUT! When i do this i cant choose between all refreshrates. I can onlu choose 60 and 30Hz. So then i ve got the regular pan problems. I hoped that it was a way for me to run theese settings and to be able to choose 23Hz but i cant figure it out. Is there anyone out there who maybe hav had the same problem and maybe has a solution for it? I will be very grateful for any help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-19-2010, 03:19 PM

download a trial of TMT and try that?
post #3 of 8 Old 01-19-2010, 06:37 PM

I'd do a couple of things:
1 - open up CCC, set it to "always on top" and then go to the overdrive tab which shows GPU usage, just see what it is doing during the stuttering.
2 - Same again for CPU usage. Use the resource monitor and see if you are getting CPU spikes or HDD usage at certain times.
3 - try motion based deinterlacing or turning it off completely. This should be having no effect so its surprising that it is. And leave it set to 23hz, that's the best setting to use IMO.

Another thing to consider is changing the audio output. Sounds strange but on some movies (using TMT3) I get slow motion (but constant slow motion, not occasional like you're getting). Setting audio output to SPDIF and then back to HDMI fixes it for me, somehow the bitstreaming is affecting the video frame rate.

GL!
post #4 of 8 Old 01-19-2010, 11:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hehe299792458 View Post

download a trial of TMT and try that?

But is TMT capable to bitstream yet or can it play iso files? Im not shure it can, but for testing purposes i can give it a try just to figure out if the problem is related to PDVD9.
post #5 of 8 Old 01-19-2010, 11:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goon_Squad View Post

I'd do a couple of things:
1 - open up CCC, set it to "always on top" and then go to the overdrive tab which shows GPU usage, just see what it is doing during the stuttering.
2 - Same again for CPU usage. Use the resource monitor and see if you are getting CPU spikes or HDD usage at certain times.
3 - try motion based deinterlacing or turning it off completely. This should be having no effect so its surprising that it is. And leave it set to 23hz, that's the best setting to use IMO.

Another thing to consider is changing the audio output. Sounds strange but on some movies (using TMT3) I get slow motion (but constant slow motion, not occasional like you're getting). Setting audio output to SPDIF and then back to HDMI fixes it for me, somehow the bitstreaming is affecting the video frame rate.

GL!

I have tried all the 3 suggestions that you are listing but with no luck.
I have also tried to switch between SPDIF and HDMI and when i do that the movie stutters very heavy just when the settings are beiing aplied, then it works fine but then again it stutters like before.

I just wonder why the GPU scaling option seeme to fix this. And why the heck i cant get moore refresrates to choose between than 30 and 60Hz.
This is not e very big problem for me, and i have no problem watching a movie with this issue. But it would have been nice to have everything working. But as far as i know it will be support for bitsream in TMT and Splash. I think they will have this support some times in March.
post #6 of 8 Old 01-20-2010, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunny66 View Post

I have tried all the 3 suggestions that you are listing but with no luck.
I have also tried to switch between SPDIF and HDMI and when i do that the movie stutters very heavy just when the settings are beiing aplied, then it works fine but then again it stutters like before.

I just wonder why the GPU scaling option seeme to fix this. And why the heck i cant get moore refresrates to choose between than 30 and 60Hz.
This is not e very big problem for me, and i have no problem watching a movie with this issue. But it would have been nice to have everything working. But as far as i know it will be support for bitsream in TMT and Splash. I think they will have this support some times in March.

TBH I don't know what the GPU scaling option does, it's greyed out on my machine. But I would strongly recommend using the 23hz refresh rate, it has made a big difference in removing judder on my machine.

What GPU usage do you get with normal viewing, and with using the GPU scaling option?

FYI TMT3 does not bitstream with the ATI cards *yet* - apparently this will be implemented some time soon.
post #7 of 8 Old 01-20-2010, 02:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goon_Squad View Post

TBH I don't know what the GPU scaling option does, it's greyed out on my machine. But I would strongly recommend using the 23hz refresh rate, it has made a big difference in removing judder on my machine.

What GPU usage do you get with normal viewing, and with using the GPU scaling option?

FYI TMT3 does not bitstream with the ATI cards *yet* - apparently this will be implemented some time soon.

I agree with you. The 23Hz setting does everything goes very smooth. Except the small stutter issues that ive having problem with

The GPU usage is between 20-25%. Its no markable difference between activating/deactivating GPU scaling.

Ive heard that TMT3 is in bed with Nvidia and will release support for bitstream when Nvidia release their 300 series
post #8 of 8 Old 01-20-2010, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter

OK! so now the problem are gone. Now i use 23Hz with Vectorbased deinterlacing and everything works flawless. The trick that does it was pretty weird. I installed the guru3d beta driver 10.1 over the 9.12 hotfix. Then went inside device manager and rolled back the driver. Thats it!
I have tried several times to remove 9.12 and install it but with same results. But when i install the 10.1 on top and roll back the driver everythings ok!!
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page