Deinterlace & Upscale .... HTPC or Receiver - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 01-20-2010, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Folks,

So my old prepro (lexicon DC1) finally gave up the ghost and I lashed out and got an Onkyo TX-SR876.... all good.

But now I am finding that the quality of the image is being compromised by double processing - receiver + htpc with both trying to deinterlace and upscale simultaneously....

Is there any way to have the HTPC act as a pure transport, and have it output the "raw" video stream for the receiver to process?

Short of setting my HTPC to a fixed display resolution (640x480???) and then varying it to match each vid - All the PC Video software seems focused on rescaling to fit the desktop resolution....

I want to be able to specify quickly and easily within my player the desired output resolution, and have it automatically switch to that resolution when "full screened". (and then back to full native resolution when the vid is windowed, or finished)

Anyone know how I could achieve this

thanks

David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-20-2010, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
If the PC is deinterlacing and upscaling with a resolution set to 1920x1080 60Hz, then the receiver won't because it is receiving a progressive 1080p resolution and it would just pass it through. Now, you may have some unknown features turned on in your video card's drivers that can ruin the picture, such as edge enhancment, dynamic contrast, denoise or a form of color correction. Your receiver may also have a feature like this that needs to be turned off, as it would still process.

I do not believe there is any way to tell a PC to only output the native video it is receiving. You'd have to manually set the resolution each time before playing that video. People don't tend to mess with this because video cards these days are really good at deinterlacing and upscaling. Usually it is a driver/option set issue if it is looking bad.
post #3 of 10 Old 01-20-2010, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

This is an interesting topic. Is there any software that can detect what resolution the source video is and then change the PC resolution to match? I wonder what effect that would have on the interface components in Media Center. I imagine there would be a pretty large delay as Windows reloaded itself at the new resolution, and possibly HDMI handshake issues.
post #4 of 10 Old 01-20-2010, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

I know reclock has the ability to detect a video source's resolution/refresh and it may be able to change the PC resolution. Another program may be used to change the resolution, though - I can't remember. But this only works with 32-bit codecs/applications.

Most people use this feature to change their refresh from 24Hz or 60Hz depending on the source. They don't use it to change resolution.
post #5 of 10 Old 01-20-2010, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

I wonder if there would be any gains; the TV's upscaler is better/worse than whatever the HTPC is using (video card? player software? codec?).
post #6 of 10 Old 01-20-2010, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by spivonious View Post

This is an interesting topic. Is there any software that can detect what resolution the source video is and then change the PC resolution to match? I wonder what effect that would have on the interface components in Media Center. I imagine there would be a pretty large delay as Windows reloaded itself at the new resolution, and possibly HDMI handshake issues.

It is possible to write a player that did this, but it's only going to be useful with progressive content.
post #7 of 10 Old 01-20-2010, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Unless you need True HD or other advanced format just run the HDMI cable direct to the display.
post #8 of 10 Old 01-20-2010, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter

hi Folks

Bypassing the AVR is not something I want to do as it is VERY helpful being able to bring up the onscreen menus, or even something simple like volume adjustment...

It is certainly my worst case option.

Outputting 1080p would indeed bypass processing in the AVR (it is specifically designed to do that) - but the projector is 720p (mind you I will experiment a bit to see what the 1080p result is like)

I need to be cautious with 1080p as the projector will also get involved in processing if I give it a non-native resolution.

With a DVD or BD player you have 3 layers of processing - player/avr/screen - but most devices are designed so you can to some degree control that processing...

HTPC's basically have a fixed resolution - any other processing can be controlled... I now find myself in the labyrinthine maze of processing options, resolution, scaling........ argh (drops breadcrumbs.... walks around corner...)

thanks

David
post #9 of 10 Old 01-20-2010, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Is your projector a CRT based model? If not it is probably a 1368x768 native, everything else is rescaled. AVR's aren't normally happy with resolutions typically used for PC's.
post #10 of 10 Old 01-21-2010, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

IF the AVR is outputting 720p to the TV then it isn't going to deinterlace/upscale/downscale a video if received in 720p.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page