Hauppauge 1600 not getting as many channels as TV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-20-2010, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have been fighting with this card since I first turned my new HTPC on. The issue I have is I have a non-powered rooftop antenna this one HERE and the TV gets all the channels I need but the HTPC gets only a few if any. I have the RG6 split to both units of course.The splitter is a basic Radio Shack one, nothing special. I am convinced I need either a better antenna or a RF Amplifier/splitter. I am not too familiar with amplifiers so I have few questions. If I decide this is the route I want to go should this be place down the line of the RG6 cable close to the TV/HTPC? Or should it be placed closer to the antenna. The run of cable to the viewing area is about 40+ ft.

One thing I should add is the only way I can get ANY channels on the PC is if I run it directly to it without splitting.

Or should I keep splitting them and go with a better power antenna?

Thanks in advance!

TJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-20-2010, 10:43 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Ok, the first thing that sticks out is you say "non powered" and this is a powered unit. First thing I'd say is dig out the power inserter and install it.

If it IS powered, there are better splitters you can buy that only have around 3.5db loss per side or you can work with a tap splitter and hook the card to the low-loss leg.

At 40 feet, you're losing another 4 or 5 db depending on the cable. You could try an amp right where the splitter is to overcome the length.

Lastly, look at a more standard antenna. Just looking at that one, I'd say it's not going to do well if you're more than 15 - 20 miles from the transmitters. It appears to be omnidirectional, so it's more prone to multipath issues.

Seriously, I'd try to get more or a better signal coming into the house if it all possible. Standard antenna with a pre-amp may be the way to go.

Check your location at www.tvfool.com and, if you like, start a thread in HDTV Techinical. Or read the OTA FAQ and a few other threads in that section. We're all antenna geeks over there.

Doc

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #3 of 5 Old 01-20-2010, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 32
The 1600 does not have a very sensitive tuner. (a bit of an understatement)
It requires a lot of signal and it can lock up completely with bad signals, requiring a full power down (AC cord) before it will restart.
Instead of a splitter, you could try an amplified coupler or small distribution amplifier.

Sturgeon's Law: "Nothing is always absolutely so."
Sturgeons Revelation: "Ninety percent of everything is crud."
My Thoughts: "A reasoned argument must share some basic common points."
post #4 of 5 Old 01-20-2010, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post

Ok, the first thing that sticks out is you say "non powered" and this is a powered unit. First thing I'd say is dig out the power inserter and install it.

Yes this does have a power adapter. I am not too confident in how well it works. It's a very small and the wire the comes out of it is very tiny, like 16 maybe 14 gauge. If I put it before the splitter it doe nothing. If I put it before the PC that's when I get a few channels.

Quote:

If it IS powered, there are better splitters you can buy that only have around 3.5db loss per side or you can work with a tap splitter and hook the card to the low-loss leg.

Thanks, but I am not quite sure I understand all of this.

Quote:

At 40 feet, you're losing another 4 or 5 db depending on the cable. You could try an amp right where the splitter is to overcome the length.

Okay, do they make these as splitters too?

Quote:

Lastly, look at a more standard antenna. Just looking at that one, I'd say it's not going to do well if you're more than 15 - 20 miles from the transmitters. It appears to be omnidirectional, so it's more prone to multipath issues.

I live approximately 100-110 blocks from the towers (not sure what this equates to in miles). I have the antenna on my roof mounted to a pole pointed that direction. However there is a very large tree about 40-50 feet in it's path; does that affect antenna?

Quote:

Check your location at www.tvfool.com and, if you like, start a thread in HDTV Techinical. Or read the OTA FAQ and a few other threads in that section. We're all antenna geeks over there.

I did about about a year ago and they recommended the antenna I have.
post #5 of 5 Old 01-20-2010, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod7501 View Post

The 1600 does not have a very sensitive tuner. (a bit of an understatement)
It requires a lot of signal and it can lock up completely with bad signals, requiring a full power down (AC cord) before it will restart.
Instead of a splitter, you could try an amplified coupler or small distribution amplifier.

Okay, I will look into this.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page