Windows 7 MC problems playing Ripped DVD's - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 31 Old 02-01-2010, 12:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently built my first HTPC. I put two 1.5TB drives in it, so I could put my movies on one drive, and record HDTV on the other. I've been trying to stick with the Windows Media Center for all my TV, DVD's, etc, but I keep having problems when trying to play Ripped DVD's. I will get a message that it cannot play it, and to restart media center. I have been using DVDFab to rip the dvd's, and I rip them to VIDEO_TS format. I can usually get around this problem if I only rip the Main Movie without any menus, but I would rather keep the menus and extra stuff if possible. A few movies have worked when ripping the Full Disc, or Customized, but most of the time they won't play, and I have to rip them again as just the Main Movie.

I tried making the DVD folder a Network Folder because I came across some posts that said the problem was that Windows 7 doesn't like to play ripped DVD files from a local drive, and that by making the folder a Network Drive, you could work around this problem. That didn't fix anything for me.

Along with any ideas to fix this problem, I'm also curious as to how others go about ripping their dvd collections. Maybe there is a better way of doing it that I am unaware of.
1. What is the preferred ripping software?
2. What format do you rip your movies to (VIDEO_TS, ISO, MKV)?
3. Do you just rip the movie, the full disc, or somewhere in-between?
4. Do you like to keep the menus, even if you rip it so they are bypassed when you go to play the movie?
5. What are your favorite Plugins for DVD's in Media Center?
6. Any secrets you may have for trouble free ripping that will play every time in Media Center
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 02-01-2010, 04:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by haslipe View Post

1. What is the preferred ripping software?
2. What format do you rip your movies to (VIDEO_TS, ISO, MKV)?
3. Do you just rip the movie, the full disc, or somewhere in-between?
4. Do you like to keep the menus, even if you rip it so they are bypassed when you go to play the movie?
5. What are your favorite Plugins for DVD's in Media Center?
6. Any secrets you may have for trouble free ripping that will play every time in Media Center

1 - For SD DVDs I use MakeMKV. For Blu Rays I use AnyDVD + either Clown_BD or Another eac3to GUI. You can also use MakeMKV for Blu Rays
2 - I have some Video_TS for a handful over movies where I wanted to keep the full disc. Otherwise I use either mkv or ts
3 - Just main movie and main audio track. I have no need for the extras
4 - Answered in #3
5 - Media Browser (guide here) or MyMovies (guide here)
6 - I would recommend you use either MyMovies or Media Browser in WMC for your movie collection, and not the default WMC library. I have no problems playing back Video_TS. For any other movie types (such as mkv, etc...) I would highly recommend you set up MPC HC to be used as a 3rd party player from MediaBrowser or MyMovies. By doing this you can avoid codecs all together. You can see a guide on how to set up here. If you want to stick with the default WMC player in MediaBrowser/MyMovies many people use Shark's Codec pack.

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

post #3 of 31 Old 02-01-2010, 09:08 PM

Liked: 11
The way I see it has nothing to do with video_ts. I think it's more of win7 codecs or some type of media center related issue on Win 7. Maybe those who are running win7 can chime in.
post #4 of 31 Old 02-02-2010, 04:01 AM
AVS Special Member

1. AnyDVD. DVDFab also works great.
2. VIDEO_TS
3. Full disc.
4. I keep everything.
5. 7MC works great with ripped DVDs without the need for any plugins. I use MediaBrowser for all of my DVDs and BD rips, however.
6. I don't have any secrets. Every DVD I've ever ripped has played back in VMC and 7MC.

It sounds like you have a codec problem - I've run across the exact same problem with one of my Win 7 computers. I reinstalled the OS and everything worked after that. You might want to try turning off Media Center sounds, as I've found that helps with the dreaded cannot play message. Settings -> General -> Visual and Sound Effects
post #5 of 31 Old 02-02-2010, 09:50 PM

I was running into a similar problem with 7mc after upgrading from Vista.

It turns out there is sometimes an issue with 7MC and the HDMI output. The solution that worked for me was to go into the settings of MC and unclick "play sounds while navigating media center' option. This is located under tasks-settings-general-visual and sound effects.

I tried to find the reference where I found this solution, but no luck.
post #6 of 31 Old 02-03-2010, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

I have this same issue and have not figured it out yet. The sound thing did not work for me and I am using dvdfab as well. The files play fine using WMP so its not that the files dont work. They just dont work within Media browser and media center for me.
post #7 of 31 Old 02-03-2010, 12:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogormask View Post

I have this same issue and have not figured it out yet. The sound thing did not work for me and I am using dvdfab as well. The files play fine using WMP so its not that the files dont work. They just dont work within Media browser and media center for me.

Have you messed around with any codecs or filters on your system that might have affected playback in WMC?

Cheers,
Damian

post #8 of 31 Old 02-03-2010, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

I just cant narrow it down. I only installed haali and ffdshow. I dont see why either has anything to do with dvd content. But I dont know much about codecs either. And a lot of dvds play just fine. All of my dvds are folder structure. And all play fine with WMP. Its something with MB and WMC. or maybe its an issue with dvdfab? It seems like I never used to have this issue until updating dvdfab... Its so hard to narrow this down. I guess I could find a dvd that doesnt play correctly and rerip it using different settings.
post #9 of 31 Old 02-03-2010, 01:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I just cant narrow it down. I only installed haali and ffdshow. I dont see why either has anything to do with dvd content. But I dont know much about codecs either. And a lot of dvds play just fine. All of my dvds are folder structure. And all play fine with WMP. Its something with MB and WMC. or maybe its an issue with dvdfab? It seems like I never used to have this issue until updating dvdfab... Its so hard to narrow this down. I guess I could find a dvd that doesnt play correctly and rerip it using different settings.

I only ask because I know some codec packs may make changes to your setting without you really understanding what is going on. I would possibly try reripping and see if you get the same result. Another option would be to throw a few ripped dvds that don't play into mkv and see if they play fine in WMC/Media Browser

Cheers,
Damian

post #10 of 31 Old 02-03-2010, 01:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Also, take a look at this post:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post18051567

This person could not get DVDs to play, and it turns out a codec pack he installed had renamed the windows file needed for playback

Cheers,
Damian

post #11 of 31 Old 02-03-2010, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 117
I had this same "Video Error" missing files, restart media center, etc. error recently. It turned out that the latest ATI CCC driver install had failed silently. I uninstalled ATI CCC completely and reinstalled the correct driver for my video card and I was able to play DVD rips inside W7MC again.

Specifically, I have the new HIS HD5670 512MB card. The ATI website told me to install ATI CCC 10.1 even though 10.1 doesn't support my card. The install appeared to work. Instead I was no longer able to play DVD rips in W7MC as described above. I installed the correct drivers and still no luck. Only uninstalling ATI CCC completely (from Control Panel > Programs) and reinstalling the ATI Redwood 8.69 RC3 drivers fixed the problem.

post #12 of 31 Old 02-05-2010, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Well today I finally had a chance to work on this and I still cant figure it out. I only have a very few programs installed and very few codecs installed. I uninstalled FFDshow thinking maybe that was the issue and its still a no go. I tried to make sure i had the latest CCC and that didnt work so I uninstalled that and tried to install just the video driver and still nothing. I only have haali installed and there is nothing at all that has anything else to do with WMC installed.
post #13 of 31 Old 02-12-2010, 11:36 AM

Ogor, I had the same issue the only way I've found to resolve it is to disable my ION software (HTPC built in remote).

Once I disabled it everything worked as you'd expect, hopefully I can find another solution but for the time being it'll have to do.
post #14 of 31 Old 02-12-2010, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
haslip, are you removing anything else with DVD Fab, such as FBI warning? I have issues like this when I used to check the option. I don't bother with rearranging files or removing anything anymore and everything works fine.
post #15 of 31 Old 02-15-2010, 01:30 AM - Thread Starter

I do like to remove the FBI warnings and set it so the menu is bypassed. I can usually get the rips to work if I only select "Main Movie", but if I try "Full Disc" - that almost never plays. I tried disabling the sound like suggested, but that didn't change anything. I also tried installing the Shark 007 Codec pack, and still no change. I have Media Browser installed now (awesome program), but still no change. I think I need to try to enable an external player in Media Browser. All the rips will play fine just using PowerDVD, WinDVD, etc, but the problem is when trying to play directly from Windows Media Center. It seems like it must be some sort of copy protection thing, but there are so many people that have never had any issues, I don't know what to think anymore.
post #16 of 31 Old 02-15-2010, 05:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Since you have my codecs installed now, try using the Reset All button in the lower left. It has the capability to 'repair' some system files renamed by other utilities. You should also select to use the suggested settings feature at the bottom of the application. If you ever used a utility name MCDU it can also leave system files inproperly named and broken. If you may have used that utility in the past, try using it again to set things back to the Micosoft default decoders.

One other thing that may help is using the button on the Misc TAB to Rebuild the WMP Library. As a last resort, on the SWAP TAB of the settings application, you can choose to use the PDVD9 codec for MPEG2 playback. This action may get your media working again in the Windows Players.

Is your system x64? For x64 systems I release a separate addon, with its own interface, similar to the 32bit release. For Media Center on x64 systems, it would be nessasary to install and use the x64 interface to have an affect on Media Center playback.

Use Shark007 Codecs and retain your sanity.
post #17 of 31 Old 02-15-2010, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

I am almost positive now the issue is removing the PGCs with dvdfab. It must be a new bug. Older versions even from a few months ago never had this issue as I am constantly updating to the latest versions and then suddenly I have this issue. I tried on the dvdfab forums and got nowhere. They just said dont remove the warnings but to me thats kind of a BS response. If removing the warnings causes an issue then obviously its something wrong with the software. They play just fine like you noticed using any other dvd app its just WMC wont play them. Its also hard to duplicate because for me it seems like not every dvd is affected like this. The only way to test this would be to find what dvd might cause the issue and then rip it twice once removing the warnings and once without and see for sure once and for all if that is truly the cause but I am almost certain. I have read like 3-4 threads of this and after a while the op and whoever else participates reveals that they were using dvdfab. It wasnt until everyone starts talking settings and reveals they remove PGCs. And why wouldnt we remove them? Who wants that crap lol. But I have been trying to just jump to the first menu without removing those to see what happens but have not had time to test it. I rip on another computer so I cant instantly test it. I guess I could try playing them with WMC to see what it does but now I dont have 7 on this computer right now my SSD died.
post #18 of 31 Old 02-15-2010, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Actually here is another question since the movies that wont play are on my hard drive is there some application to repair them? Like run them through dvdfab again or something to fix it? Or is the actual loss of that specific chunk of data somehow vital to WMC to play correctly?
post #19 of 31 Old 02-15-2010, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
you could try running them through dvd shrink. just use backup to redo the entire disc and make sure you select no compression.
post #20 of 31 Old 02-15-2010, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

yeah I was wondering if that might work. I will try a test run in a minute here on a dvd I know that doesnt work. Its such a bizarre issue because I ripped so many dvds like that and the vast majority work.
post #21 of 31 Old 02-15-2010, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

That didnt work either. Damn.
post #22 of 31 Old 02-15-2010, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
you could try playing around with ifoedit.
post #23 of 31 Old 02-15-2010, 12:33 PM

I'm having a different issue with my downgrade from Vista to 7. I can usually play a ripped DVD from another machine on the network. I say usually, because since installing 7, that machine now sometimes 'loses sight' of the media server. But that's not the real problem. If I play a DVD, when I go back to select a 2nd, the machine goes cold frozen upon launching the new DVD. No mouse KB, remote, nada. So now, after downgrading to 7, I have to completely reboot the machine every time I want to watch a DVD. Anyone else run into this?
post #24 of 31 Old 02-15-2010, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Joe I had some issues like that network one you are having with my htpc and win 7. For some reason it kept erasing my network settings. After about 4 times telling it to not use password protected sharing and make it a home network somehow this last time it can remember that I want taht machine on my network. You may be having the same issue.

Not sure on the other issue.
post #25 of 31 Old 02-15-2010, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWPgh View Post

I'm having a different issue with my downgrade from Vista to 7. I can usually play a ripped DVD from another machine on the network. I say usually, because since installing 7, that machine now sometimes 'loses sight' of the media server. But that's not the real problem. If I play a DVD, when I go back to select a 2nd, the machine goes cold frozen upon launching the new DVD. No mouse KB, remote, nada. So now, after downgrading to 7, I have to completely reboot the machine every time I want to watch a DVD. Anyone else run into this?

Going from Vista to 7 is an upgrade, not a downgrade. How did you upgrade? Did you do a true upgrade - installing 7 from within Vista, saving all of your data, programs, settings, etc? Or, did you do a fresh install - wiping the drive and installing fresh, having to install your apps again, copy your data back, etc?

Did you install Windows 7 drivers for your hardware, or did you let Windows find and install the drivers? Please post your hardware - motherboard, video card, sound card, etc.
post #26 of 31 Old 02-15-2010, 03:56 PM

I've installed 7 on 3 machines so far, and so far I'm not impressed. The machine in question is the only one that even permitted an upgrade - the others demanded a clean install, even though they were 'upgrade' licenses.
On my principle desktop (which required a clean install of Prem 32) Internet Explorer crashes several times per day - as opposed to per month under Vista. On my HTPC that serves duty as my media server, this too demanded a clean install of Ult 64. I have sorted through all of it's issues except it no longer will wake on LAN requests - which for it's use is also a downgrade.

As for the box in question, there's not much to it. A Gigabyte with a
780G chipset feeding the TV through HDMI, 4850e CPU, 2 GB of GSkill DDR2 800 and a pr of WD 640GB HDDs Yes, I installed new drivers from AMD at the 'upgrade', and have updated them since. Of the 3 machines, this is the only one that permitted the upgrade, and is the one most thoroughly trashed by 7.

All 3 of these machines were rock solid under Vista. I have to call 7 for what it is at this point in it's development - a downgrade from Vista.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kegobeer View Post

Going from Vista to 7 is an upgrade, not a downgrade. How did you upgrade? Did you do a true upgrade - installing 7 from within Vista, saving all of your data, programs, settings, etc? Or, did you do a fresh install - wiping the drive and installing fresh, having to install your apps again, copy your data back, etc?

Did you install Windows 7 drivers for your hardware, or did you let Windows find and install the drivers? Please post your hardware - motherboard, video card, sound card, etc.

post #27 of 31 Old 02-15-2010, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

You cannot upgrade a 32 bit OS to a 64 bit OS. It's very clearly laid out on the MS website, as well as on a host of Windows 7 support websites/forums. Unfortunately, I've seen 7 get "bad press" because of an end user not understanding exactly what can and cannot be upgraded inplace. (You also cannot inplace upgrade from XP to 7, although I have no idea if that applies to you - I figured it's worth mentioning.)

I'm sorry you've had a bad experience with 7. You should check out sevenforums.com - it's a great resource for Windows 7. For what it's worth, I have installed Windows 7 x64 on an Inspiron e1705, and x86 on an Inspiron 1100 and an old Intel D865PERL desktop, as well as on an IONITX-G-E HTPC (both 32 and 64 bit versions); no problems at all. Even with the lack of Windows 7 drivers for everything except for the IONITX all of my hardware works as advertised. I'm certain that, after you check out sevenforums, you'll be able to get things working.
post #28 of 31 Old 02-15-2010, 06:21 PM

I understand that you can not upgrade from 32 to 64. I'm not sure where you got the idea that's I tried to do. I "upgraded" the Vista-32 machines to 7-32, and the Vista-64 to 7-64. My complaint is not 'bad press', nor am I a Vista fanboy looking to bash MS - it's an honest account of my experiences. I bought 2 other licenses that I had planned to use on my laptop and work computers. But, I can't see the point in this kind of "upgrade" until SP1 at the very earliest. They are presently as stable as the other 3 used to be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kegobeer View Post

You cannot upgrade a 32 bit OS to a 64 bit OS. It's very clearly laid out on the MS website, as well as on a host of Windows 7 support websites/forums. Unfortunately, I've seen 7 get "bad press" because of an end user not understanding exactly what can and cannot be upgraded inplace. (You also cannot inplace upgrade from XP to 7, although I have no idea if that applies to you - I figured it's worth mentioning.)

I'm sorry you've had a bad experience with 7. You should check out sevenforums.com - it's a great resource for Windows 7. For what it's worth, I have installed Windows 7 x64 on an Inspiron e1705, and x86 on an Inspiron 1100 and an old Intel D865PERL desktop, as well as on an IONITX-G-E HTPC (both 32 and 64 bit versions); no problems at all. Even with the lack of Windows 7 drivers for everything except for the IONITX all of my hardware works as advertised. I'm certain that, after you check out sevenforums, you'll be able to get things working.

post #29 of 31 Old 02-15-2010, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I had the same issue, it turns out I needed to turn off the Sounds in the settings. See this thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...179&highlight=

I never would have thought about that, but it did work. I miss the sounds, but at least the files play.
post #30 of 31 Old 02-15-2010, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

davdev a bunch of us tried that and it must not always work because it didnt work for us.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page