Please rate this HTPC build - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 02-01-2010, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm not a newb to building computers but I'm a total newb to anything related to HTPC computers.

After doing some research and hearing about all the recent advancements in tech I came up with this.

Intel Core i5-661 horray for awesome on board video!

Gigabyte H57 motheboard or the asus h57 mobo which one would be more cost effective? ie is there any significant benefit to the asus?

Ceton quad tuner still not released yet, i know, but this is all in the planning stages at the moment anyway.

6GB DDR3 1600 Is this a good amount of ram? I would certinaly want enough but not looking to buy more than is necessary. ceton recommended minimum of 4gb IIRC so i thought 6 was a good number, ie not bare minimum but not excessive

a bunch of these for storage

No video cards! - possible?

I'm still up in the air over a case to get, a remote control solution, and what software to use. All constructive criticism welcome!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-01-2010, 10:12 PM
Advanced Member

post #3 of 5 Old 02-02-2010, 12:11 AM

Are you sure you need either i5-661 or H57 ??
If you are not going to do any gaming, there is no reason to go w/ i5-661..
Same thing with H57..if you are not going to do raid..why waste the money?
Lastly, there is no 6gb dual channel ddr3 memory, if you want 6gb, you will be using 3 sticks of 2gb ddr3 which will result in no dual channel..
If I were you, I would consider a lesser cpu, a loaded H55 board and move the money toward 8gb of the memory
(only if you are using 64bit os, if you are using 32bit os, then 4gb is the max)
post #4 of 5 Old 02-02-2010, 12:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
The i5 seems like overkill to me if you're mostly going to record TV and watch some DVD or Blue-ray rips. And unless you want to make the leap to Windows 7 64bit (which, from reading here, may give you some hick ups), anything more than 4GB of RAM is really wasted. I personally went with a core i3 with an H55 motherboard and have enjoyed it so far.
post #5 of 5 Old 02-02-2010, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks alot for the responses.

I went with that chip and mobo because it had really good on board video meaning I wouldn't need a video card. If I went with a lower processor, I would need video cards then right? I thought most on board video chip sets would not be able to do it. If what you guys are saying is true, maybe I should scale it back some. I could probably save myself a couple hundred bucks that way which would net me more hard drives!

Are those hard drives good? I remember reading that green drives aren't good with RAID. Is RAID necessary for a HTPC?

Also, I'd like to get some peoples opinions on software. I've heard of MythTV and I know that Windows 7 can do this stuff. What else is out there? Who is using what and do you like it? I'd like to hear some personal opinions on various software for recording and playing back TV if possible.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page