Advanced CableCard Issue - Ready for the challenge? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 02-04-2010, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Windows Vista and Windows 7 system, each with an ATI CableCard tuner. Using the CableCard tuner, I can receive all of the HD channels in my subscription except for two, Fox Business HD & Hallmark HD (the SD version comes in fine). When I tune to the channel, I either get a black screen or the signal comes in for a second, then I get a "Subscription Required" error message. However, the channels load fine using my cablebox.

The first theory on the table was that the channels are using SDV and that I need the tuning adapter. I had a senior level cable technician visit and confirm those channels are NOT on SDV.

His theory is that the encryption used on those channels does not agree with Windows Media Center. Also, those channels share the same frequency. He said the issue COULD be with the ATI tuner because he has a CableCard Tivo in his test lab and those channels come in fine. Since Cablevision does not officially support Media Center, there is not much they can do. Perhaps when the Ceton quad tuner or the HDHR tuner comes out, I'll receive different results.

Does anyone have any thoughts or theories as to why this issue is happening?

HTPC Enthusiast
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-04-2010, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 190
WMC has nothing to do with it. It's the ATI tuner and CableCARD deside which channel you can see. The likely cause is either SDV or wrong account settings for your cableCard. Ask them if they offer tuning adapter, if so, you definitely need one regardless these two are on SDV or not.

The other cause could be signal level. ATI tuners are known for weak reception.
post #3 of 5 Old 02-04-2010, 11:40 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've had the same problem in the past. It came down to cable card pairing. I have Comcast and for a while I couldn't get my HBO channels even though it was working on my STB. I asked them to re-pair my cablecards and when they did that they found an error in the pairing, fixed it and all the channels worked.
post #4 of 5 Old 02-04-2010, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

Ask them if they offer tuning adapter, if so, you definitely need one regardless these two are on SDV or not.

Yes, I have an SDV adapter and the ATI diagnostic page says "Tuning Resolver operational".

HTPC Enthusiast
post #5 of 5 Old 02-04-2010, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailowai View Post

I've had the same problem in the past. It came down to cable card pairing.

A few months ago, I noticed that about 30 channels would no longer appear. In that case, the card was bad, and replacing the card solved the issue.

In this case, I do not believe it is a pairing issue. The exact same issue is happening on two separate machines.

HTPC Enthusiast
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page