ATI HD 5000 Series Known Problems (5870 5850 5770 5750 5670 5570 5450) - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-17-2010, 10:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I assume so. I used to use that with the 4000 series, but since the 5000 offer the "dynamic range" option, I don't have to anymore.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2010, 10:42 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy o View Post

I assume so. I used to use that with the 4000 series, but since the 5000 offer the "dynamic range" option, I don't have to anymore.

Ah, thanks. I too have the dynamic range enabled. I just looked in the registry on my HTPC and NominalRange is set to "2", meaning 16-235 levels.
Old 02-18-2010, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmcdem View Post

Blu-ray playback. I'm not sure if that's my issue, but how would I go about fixing it. My TV is a Sony, so maybe Sony is having problems . The only reason I don't think it is is because my card is hooked up to my onkyo and then to the tv, and the stuttering is not only on the video, but the audio too. Was this happening for you too?

Glad (for lack of a better word) that I am not the only one having this issue.

I'll try disabling powerplay again. I am not running GPU-Z during playing.
I'm only testing with TMT, because it's the only one I have. Plus, once I finally figure this out (assuming I do) I want to use MyMovies w/ TMT.

Should I test it out with MPC-HC? Just open the m2ts file with it? If so I'll try it tomorrow.

Have you tried turning hardware acceleration on and off in TMT?

You should definitely try bitstreami playback with MPC-HC and ffdshow (outlined nicely here http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2010...7-htpc-part-i/ ) just to make sure you're on the same page as everybody else and narrow the problem down. It sounds like your problem is most likely related to DXVA and Powerplay.

With my 5770 and onkyo 606, i found that when using MPC-HC's internal DXVA VC1 and AVC video decoders, playback was smooth and no audio stuttering or popping. when i playback without DXVA though (ffdshow video decoder), i get audio dropouts and choppy video.

In GPU-Z, i noticed that the GPU ran at 157/300 at idle and ramped up to 850/1200 during playback. I haven't even touched the Overdrive section in CCC yet. Instead, i used the AMD GPU Clock Tool and set it to 157/300. This immediately gave me perfect audio and much smoother non-DXVA video once i restarted the player.

For some reason, forcing higher clock frequencies did not fix the problem. only full-time 157/300 seems to work for me (maybe thats the only speed that disables Powerplay completely?). Since I use MadVR which siupposedly uses the GPU more, I'd like to be able to set the video card clock frequency higher and still have smooth video and no audio dropouts though!
Old 02-18-2010, 03:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbemoore View Post

I can't explain why the bug doesn't affect everyone. Maybe its specific to certain cards?

But I'm certainly not the only person having black level problems with 10.x drivers:

hithere is having exactly the same problem here, but with a 4350 card.
mkedda confirms the issue here
dale7344 has given up on making 16-235 work, and has ended up using the same settings as me : link
And even Tulli has given up on 10.x drivers due to black level inconsistencies : link

It seems to be a driver bug affecting all ATI cards (not just the 5000 series) which was introduced with the 10.x drivers. On older cards you can just roll back to 9.x drivers. Unfortunately the 5450 isn't supported in older drivers, so I don't have the option of rolling back....

Have you tried YCbCr? That definitely should use video levels. All is fine here with my 5750 (10.1 and 10.2) uisng this.
Old 02-18-2010, 04:31 AM

Quote:

Setting 0-255 for dynamic range in AVIVO doesn't affect MC at all? Cause that's how I fix my MC.

Here's another summary of the problems, with my 5450 card and a 16-235 display:

1) Changing the CCC "Pixel Format" between Full RGB and Limited RGB makes absolutely no difference to the desktop or video black levels, regardless of any other settings.

2a) With "Dynamic Range" disabled, or set to 16-235, the output level flags sent from the player do make a difference:

- player set to 16-235 -> BTB is displayed as dark grey on a 16-235 display.
- player set to 0-255 -> correct black levels on a 16-235 display.

2b) With "Dynamic Range" enabled and set to 0-255, correct blacks are displayed on a 16-235 screen, regardless of the video player setting.

So enabling "Dynamic Range" and setting it to 0-255 seems to be the best workaround. But why is that the correct setting for a 16-235 display? And why doesn't the "Pixel Format" setting make any difference?
Old 02-18-2010, 04:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It might not even be a bug, but with ATI one never knows. Maybe the card is detecting the capabilities of the display and just outputting whatever the display can take.

Have you tried checking/unchecking ITC processing? Haven't found out yet what that does exactly, but it has to do with some "pixel data" processing.

BTW, what player and decoder are you using, and if applicable, which renderer? It seems in scenario 2a and player set to 16-235, the video is not getting expanded and then it's getting compressed.
Old 02-18-2010, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j5627429 View Post

Have you tried turning hardware acceleration on and off in TMT?

You should definitely try bitstreami playback with MPC-HC and ffdshow (outlined nicely here http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2010...7-htpc-part-i/ ) just to make sure you're on the same page as everybody else and narrow the problem down. It sounds like your problem is most likely related to DXVA and Powerplay.

With my 5770 and onkyo 606, i found that when using MPC-HC's internal DXVA VC1 and AVC video decoders, playback was smooth and no audio stuttering or popping. when i playback without DXVA though (ffdshow video decoder), i get audio dropouts and choppy video.

In GPU-Z, i noticed that the GPU ran at 157/300 at idle and ramped up to 850/1200 during playback. I haven't even touched the Overdrive section in CCC yet. Instead, i used the AMD GPU Clock Tool and set it to 157/300. This immediately gave me perfect audio and much smoother non-DXVA video once i restarted the player.

For some reason, forcing higher clock frequencies did not fix the problem. only full-time 157/300 seems to work for me (maybe thats the only speed that disables Powerplay completely?). Since I use MadVR which siupposedly uses the GPU more, I'd like to be able to set the video card clock frequency higher and still have smooth video and no audio dropouts though!

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I've tried disabling and enabling HWA, didn't help .

Thanks for the link to the MPC-HC tutorial, I'll give it a try soon and report back with the results.
Old 02-18-2010, 04:16 PM

I've encountered a problem I don't seem to be able to solve myself. I hope someone can help.

Today I replaced my ATi HD2600 Pro videocard with a Sapphire HD5770 Vapor-X. I have it up and running at 1920x1080@60Hz feeding my Pioneer KRP-600M plasma tv through HDMI. So far so good. BUT, I can't change the refresh rate at all. Only 60Hz is available. I remember right after installing the 10.1 Catalyst driver I could choose lower refresh rates than 60Hz in CCC, though without any effect. When hitting the Apply button CCC switched back to 60Hz. After a reboot only the 60Hz option was available. I tried changing the display monitor in windows (Generic PnP to Digital Flat Panel 1920x1080p 60Hz), but that doesn't help.

I have no clue what limits me to 60Hz. Anyone?
Old 02-18-2010, 04:22 PM

Liked: 150
Instead of using the CCC, right click on the desktop and go to properties. Click Advanced and go to monitor in there. You might be able to select different refresh rates in there.
Old 02-18-2010, 04:26 PM

Quote:

HDMI Audio Drivers Differences

Realtek ATI HDMI Audio Device vs. ATI-provided HDMI driver (comes with Catalyst)

Like I said above, the Realtek HDMI audio driver (at version 2.39 right now) is recommended, at least as of now (2010/02/07). I think it's working almost perfectly, with only one glitch with ReClock and exclusive mode in which the driver sticks to the settings of exclusive mode after closing ReClock.

Besides the silent stream bug mentioned in the first post, the ATI driver can't do 24-bit or 32-bit audio with ReClock, only 16-bit. This is not as much a big deal as the silent stream thing though.

Hi.

You mention that "silent stream" bug many times, but could you further explain exactly what it is in the first post summary?

And regarding the ATI driver and ReClock, 24-bit now works since version 1.8.5.8, at least on my 4000 series on XP. Is this problem with ReClock specific to the 5000 series and/or Vista/7 ?
Old 02-18-2010, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

Instead of using the CCC, right click on the desktop and go to properties. Click Advanced and go to monitor in there. You might be able to select different refresh rates in there.

Already tried that, only 60Hz available. Also the Hide all modes that... option is greyed out. Thanks for your input though.
Old 02-18-2010, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by el Filou View Post

1.8.5.8, at least on my 4000 series on XP. Is this problem with ReClock specific to the 5000 series and/or Vista/7 ?

For ReClock, selecting "24 bit int padded to 32" under "PCM Output" > "Format" fixes the issue with 5*** series cards.

Chronical Tester
Old 02-18-2010, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by el Filou View Post

Hi.

You mention that "silent stream" bug many times, but could you further explain exactly what it is in the first post summary?

The silent stream bug is when audio gets cut when there's no sound. It takes a second to come back on, so you lose the beginning of sounds, and short sounds completely (like Windows chimes). The Realtek driver (as well as both drivers with the 4000 series) doesn't suffer from this, and outputs audio continuously. When there's no sound, it's "outputting" a "silent stream". With the 4000 series, the ATI driver also used to have this bug, but ATI fixed it. We hope they do the same for the 5000 series soon, though the Realtek driver is working very well for many or even most of us.

Quote:

And regarding the ATI driver and ReClock, 24-bit now works since version 1.8.5.8, at least on my 4000 series on XP. Is this problem with ReClock specific to the 5000 series and/or Vista/7 ?

This is a problem only when using WASAPI exclusive mode, which XP can't offer.
Old 02-18-2010, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricabullah View Post

For ReClock, selecting "24 bit int padded to 32" under "PCM Output" > "Format" fixes the issue with 5*** series cards.

He's using XP, so no WASAPI. I know you're using the ATI driver. Are you saying that ReClock now can do WASAPI exclusive with 32 bit output, with the ATI driver?
Old 02-18-2010, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moondust View Post

Already tried that, only 60Hz available. Also the Hide all modes that... option is greyed out. Thanks for your input though.

What receiver do you have? I have a KRP-500 connected through a Pioneer VSX-01, and no such problems at all. I can do all the refresh rates that the KRP can take on 1920x1080 (23, 24, 25i, 29i, 30i, 50, 59 and 60 Hz).

Are you using PC mode in your KRP input by any chance?
Old 02-18-2010, 09:17 PM

I'm using a HIS 5670 ICE-Q on my HTPC to drive an Optoma HD20 via HDMI. When I run it at 1920x1080, my only option is 60hz and I have to use the scaling in CCC to get it to fill the screen. This is the case regardless of the driver I use (I have tried the AMD 5670 specific driver, the one that came in the box and now the driver in CCC 10.2.

The biggest problem though is that no matter what I do, my screen is not as sharp as it was with the 4200 that came on my board. It's not a huge difference, but I noticed from the start and now that I switched back to my 4200. Reading webpages is where I notice it most and I've been having eyestrain issues that confirm my inital impressions. Has anyone else noticed this issue? Is this related to using the scaling to get it to fill the screen?
Old 02-19-2010, 12:21 AM

Quote:

What receiver do you have? I have a KRP-500 connected through a Pioneer VSX-01, and no such problems at all. I can do all the refresh rates that the KRP can take on 1920x1080 (23, 24, 25i, 29i, 30i, 50, 59 and 60 Hz).

Are you using PC mode in your KRP input by any chance?

The videocard is directly connected to the KRP-600. No receiver in between. My soundcard outputs directly to my receiver through analog cables. The KRP is set on video mode. Windows Vista (32-bit) detects a Generic PnP Monitor (Device manager). Is this the same for you?
Old 02-19-2010, 12:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I know you're using the ATI driver. Are you saying that ReClock now can do WASAPI exclusive with 32 bit output, with the ATI driver?

Not full 32- bit, but 24-bit padded to 32.

I am still using the ATI drivers because the Realtek drivers do not work well with mpc-hc, Reclock & WASAPI. Audio works but WASAPI is left locked after mpc-hc closes. No other apps can use audio. This was true with 2.39; I have not tested with 2.42.
Old 02-19-2010, 01:07 AM

Guys, I'm pulling my hair out trying to install the Realtek HDMI driver (2.42) with my HD 5770. Basically, I can install the driver and the formats supported are listed under "Supported Formats" However, when I reboot the machine the volume icon has a red line through it and it says that it is not plugged in? It works with the Microsoft driver (2ch) and the ATI driver included with Catalyst 10.2 but not the Realtek driver??

Also another quick question... I have read in this thread that some folk use 23, 29 & 59Hz refresh rates and was wondering why this is? Sorry if this is a daft question.
Old 02-19-2010, 01:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jong1 View Post

Not full 32- bit, but 24-bit padded to 32.

I am still using the ATI drivers because the Realtek drivers do not work well with mpc-hc, Reclock & WASAPI. Audio works but WASAPI is left locked after mpc-hc closes. No other apps can use audio. This was true with 2.39; I have not tested with 2.42.

Which ATI driver are you using? I'll try it, but in any case Realtek 2.42 doesn't seem to do that with ReClock. I thought the Realtek drivers only did that with the 4000 cards. Will test tomorrow again to confirm both cases.
Old 02-19-2010, 01:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

He's using XP, so no WASAPI. I know you're using the ATI driver.

OK, i didn't notice he was using XP; so he might be able to use Kernel Streaming with the same config. BTW, question was related with Vista/7

Quote:

Are you saying that ReClock now can do WASAPI exclusive with 32 bit output, with the ATI driver?

Yes, i can as 24 bit padded to 32 with the Ati drivers.

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...01#post1374801

Chronical Tester
Old 02-19-2010, 01:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yeah, it was always like that since the 4000 series, you had to output 32-bit with ReClock, foobar2000 and JRiver MC. 24-bit straight didn't work with any (foobar said 24, but if the driver couldn't take it, it would pad to 32 without telling you - the developer said so). The problem was that with Reclock, this only worked with the Realtek drivers. With the other two programs, the ATI driver seemingly worked fine with WASAPI exclusive and 32-bit output.
Old 02-19-2010, 03:06 AM

Hoping for some help.
I just installled a 5450 replacing a Gigabyte/nVidia product in my HTPC but I have to tell you I am wildly disappointed, nVidia just worked, perfectly ever time. I switched because I wanted hardware accelleration an bit streaming, so far bad decision. I cannot figure ccc out (designer needs to be fired).
First issue- I have about a 2 inch black band around the image, it is set to 1920x1080, I found some called force to desktop size and tried that...na-da.. is there some way to fix this?
Second issue- Horrendous video performance on movie playback... tearing and pixallation that makes all movies unwatchable... driver says its loaded and device manager reports card is there drivers loaded... tried both the shipping drivers and the 10.2 ones, back to shipped ones now.
Hopefully someone can help me out..
Cheers
Old 02-19-2010, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansonsito View Post

Hoping for some help.
I just installled a 5450 replacing a Gigabyte/nVidia product in my HTPC but I have to tell you I am wildly disappointed, nVidia just worked, perfectly ever time. I switched because I wanted hardware accelleration an bit streaming, so far bad decision. I cannot figure ccc out (designer needs to be fired).
First issue- I have about a 2 inch black band around the image, it is set to 1920x1080, I found some called force to desktop size and tried that...na-da.. is there some way to fix this?
Second issue- Horrendous video performance on movie playback... tearing and pixallation that makes all movies unwatchable... driver says its loaded and device manager reports card is there drivers loaded... tried both the shipping drivers and the 10.2 ones, back to shipped ones now.
Cheers

This will fix the boarders:

1:

2:

Check this article out regarding video performance:

http://www.anandtech.com/weblog/showpost.aspx?i=669

*Edit* LOL they link back to this very thread at the end of the article.

Now perhaps someone could kindly try and help me with my Realtek driver question above??
Old 02-19-2010, 03:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansonsito View Post

Hoping for some help.
Cheers

I think all of us, even the ones who have always used ATI, agree on the design of the CCC. See here to disable overscan.

For your second problem, what OS, players, decoders, etc. are you using?
Old 02-19-2010, 04:01 AM

Andy o, maybe you've missed my reply and question in my previous post. Would you be so kind to check what monitor windows reports in the device manager? Thanks. :-)
Old 02-19-2010, 04:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mremulator View Post

Guys, I'm pulling my hair out trying to install the Realtek HDMI driver (2.42) with my HD 5770. Basically, I can install the driver and the formats supported are listed under "Supported Formats" However, when I reboot the machine the volume icon has a red line through it and it says that it is not plugged in? It works with the Microsoft driver (2ch) and the ATI driver included with Catalyst 10.2 but not the Realtek driver??

Also another quick question... I have read in this thread that some folk use 23, 29 & 59Hz refresh rates and was wondering why this is? Sorry if this is a daft question.

23, 29 and 59 are actually 23.976, 29.97 (interlaced), and 59.94. These are the actual rates most movies and content are. The most noticeable difference is with 23.976 cause the frames last longer. When you play 23.976 content (pretty much all NA bluray movies and animation) at 24.000 (24 in CCC), then about every forty seconds you will get a repeat frame, and a slight stutter. This may or may not bother you, but it's repetitive, and once you know it's there it can become annoying and even more noticeable.

About your driver issue, I've never experienced that with the Realtek driver. Usually when you install it, it asks you to reboot. Is this when you don't have any sound, or is it when you reboot a second time? Can you get it to output sound at all before rebooting?
Old 02-19-2010, 04:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moondust View Post

Andy o, maybe you've missed my reply and question in my previous post. Would you be so kind to check what monitor windows reports in the device manager? Thanks. :-)

I'm not at home right now, but I think it says generic PnP. In CCC I think it's being reported as VSX-01, which is my receiver which forwards the monitor's capability to the PC.
Old 02-19-2010, 04:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricabullah View Post

Yes, i can as 24 bit padded to 32 with the Ati drivers.

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...01#post1374801

What's the version of the HDMI driver you're using and with what Catalyst installation did it come?
Old 02-19-2010, 04:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Which ATI driver are you using? I'll try it, but in any case Realtek 2.42 doesn't seem to do that with ReClock. I thought the Realtek drivers only did that with the 4000 cards. Will test tomorrow again to confirm both cases.

Currently using 10.2. Have used 10.1. Both suffer from "silent stream" but they are the lesser of 2 evils. Thanks for trying 2.42 with mpc-hc, Reclock and WASAPI. It would be good to move to that if I can.