ATI HD 5000 Series Known Problems (5870 5850 5770 5750 5670 5570 5450) - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 2707 Old 02-10-2010, 12:32 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Moninfo cannot capture the full 256-byte real-time EDIDs on the 5xxxs, so AFAIK your only choices are either to temporarily put another card for your 5xxx or use another PC to do the capture.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(capture, install/uninstall, troubleshooting)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 2707 Old 02-10-2010, 12:46 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy o View Post

Can you save a copy of your profiles.xml file, zip it and post it here, please?

You can try the AMD GPU Clock Tool referenced in the same post about disabling powerplay, but I'm curious about that profiles.xml file.

Thanks.

here you go
post #93 of 2707 Old 02-10-2010, 01:18 PM

Liked: 12
Tulli, can u help me with a mod for my Samsung HLT6756w and Onkyo 607? thx

monitor infs.zip 1.943359375k . file
post #94 of 2707 Old 02-10-2010, 01:30 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by moshmothma View Post

Tulli, can u help me with a mod for my Samsung HLT6756w and Onkyo 607? thx

Woa!, another bad 128-byte EDID capture today! Read again section 3 of linked post in my sig. for more directions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #95 of 2707 Old 02-10-2010, 03:08 PM

Liked: 148
I am still having the VIDEO ERROR Files needed to display video are not installed error. Apparently, it did not go away, the wife just stopped telling me about it and was just rebooting the PC when it happened.

I did find a hotfix from MS which fixes the problem when caused by terrestrial sattelite (EU thing I think), but I am at wits end so I have installed it. No errors all day so far, and I have told the wife to let me know if she gets it again.

Grrr....

I am running the Panasonic-Denon inf file and set both 7MC and Windows 7 to 59 Hz. No codecs installed, other than those which come from TMT, ATI, and AverMedia.
post #96 of 2707 Old 02-10-2010, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulli View Post

Woa!, another bad 128-byte EDID capture today! Read again section 3 of linked post in my sig. for more directions.

Doh! Ok, now I get it. Since you have already done a number of mods with my avr and the samsung dlp any chance you could use the edid captures you already have?
You could use the Samsung HL-T6176S and Onkyo 607. thx
post #97 of 2707 Old 02-10-2010, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

I am still having the VIDEO ERROR Files needed to display video are not installed error. Apparently, it did not go away, the wife just stopped telling me about it and was just rebooting the PC when it happened.

Did you by chance go into the sound control panel and set you speakers to 5.1/7.1? This will cause MCE to error out in 5 seconds when playing video and this error is displayed. Change it back to 2 channel and it will work fine. MCE will still send 5.1/7.1 audio over HDMI.
post #98 of 2707 Old 02-10-2010, 04:38 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by moshmothma View Post
Doh! Ok, now I get it. Since you have already done a number of mods with my avr and the samsung dlp any chance you could use the edid captures you already have?
You could use the Samsung HL-T6176S and Onkyo 607. thx
Yeah, had those individuals EDIDs indeed, so here's your mod.

Samsung HLT6176S - ONKYO TX-SR607.zip 1.2236328125k . file

post #99 of 2707 Old 02-10-2010, 05:20 PM

Just got my 5450 in today, and put it in the machine. I now only have grayscale on my screen, no colors after windows is booted. Wierd thing is that the machine POSTS and boots in color, just as soon as windows 7 loads, everything stays grayscale. This is not crashing(not the grey bug everyone else is having), just lack of any color.

Checked all the settings, machine thinks it is 32 bit color. Any ideas

EDIT: Nevermind, 5 reboots later, it corrected itself.... no idea
post #100 of 2707 Old 02-10-2010, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostinsane View Post

Did you by chance go into the sound control panel and set you speakers to 5.1/7.1? This will cause MCE to error out in 5 seconds when playing video and this error is displayed. Change it back to 2 channel and it will work fine. MCE will still send 5.1/7.1 audio over HDMI.

Oh, I did not know that.

Yes, I have the desktop set to 5.1. I should set the desktop to stereo and Media Center to 5.1, eh?

I will certainly try this, as I was about to report the terrestrial sattelite fix did not work.
post #101 of 2707 Old 02-10-2010, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

You dont really have to set Media Center to anything. It will send out whatever is in the audio stream.
post #102 of 2707 Old 02-10-2010, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Whatever you set in Media Center (stereo, 5.1, etc.), it sets it on the Windows output, they're syncrhonized. I've gotten those kinds of errors when I checked "disable all enhancements" on the Enhancements tab in the ATI HDMI properties audio panel.
post #103 of 2707 Old 02-10-2010, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulli View Post

Yeah, had those individuals EDIDs indeed, so here's your mod.

thx!!
post #104 of 2707 Old 02-10-2010, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

post #105 of 2707 Old 02-10-2010, 07:35 PM

Quote:

Whatever you set in Media Center (stereo, 5.1, etc.), it sets it on the Windows output, they're syncrhonized. I've gotten those kinds of errors when I checked "disable all enhancements" on the Enhancements tab in the ATI HDMI properties audio panel.

OH! I did that too!

Man, this really IS a field strewn with landmines!
post #106 of 2707 Old 02-10-2010, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yeah, that one's completely out of the blue, I just found out by chance, who would've thought that was the reason. It did happen with the 4000 series too and Realtek 2.35.

Was that your actual problem though, or are you still having your issues?
post #107 of 2707 Old 02-10-2010, 08:16 PM

Just so I get this better understood, are you all saying it doesn't matter what audio setting you choose within MCE but within audio properties (control panel) set it to your specific speaker configuration; in my case would be 7.1.

OR

The audio setting within MCE should/must match the audio properties via control panel?

OR

something else?

I do not have "disable all enhancements" checked but also don't have any enhancements checked either.

I've only just begun and already lost an arm but making progress.

Tulli,

What may I ask is this magical INF mod you are performing as a service to those who need it where you appear to be the only one capable of doing? You're just combining two INFs into one with what I assume to be some EDID override modification. Some special tool you're using or what? You could of written up a how-to by now, no? Just curious is all.
post #108 of 2707 Old 02-10-2010, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcell View Post

Tulli,

What may I ask is this magical INF mod you are performing as a service to those who need it where you appear to be the only one capable of doing? You're just combining two INFs into one with what I assume to be some EDID override modification. Some special tool you're using or what? You could of written up a how-to by now, no? Just curious is all.

Basically, he's just replacing the audio block in the monitor/tv's EDID with the audio block from the AVR's EDID using a couple of tools: Extron's EDID Manager or Moninfo (to parse the data) and a tool I created for quick editing and correcting the checksum afterwards: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post17905738

One challenge is when you don't have enough room for the new audio block. You then need to eliminate some of the video timings in order to fit the new data.

Anyone can do it once they know how EDIDs work. Tulli has just become the resident guru (well deserved title) because of the time and effort that he has put into it (including research) and the willingness to do it for others. He's also become quite proficient at it.
post #109 of 2707 Old 02-10-2010, 08:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just so I get this better understood, are you all saying it doesn't matter what audio setting you choose within MCE but within audio properties (control panel) set it to your specific speaker configuration; in my case would be 7.1.

OR

The audio setting within MCE should/must match the audio properties via control panel?

OR

something else?

I do not have "disable all enhancements" checked but also don't have any enhancements checked either.

I've only just begun and already lost an arm but making progress.

Do not set it in the audio Control Panel. Set it in MCE only (or don't). From my experience I leave it all at 2 channel or whatever the default is an I still get 5.1 DD for HDTV and whatever the audio is on my MKV's (DD/DTS 5.1/6.1).
post #110 of 2707 Old 02-10-2010, 08:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sorry I was a little off before. It seems MC doesn't synchronize with the Windows audio. I was pretty sure it did, perhaps it varies with drivers/devices. To be sure just match the MC config with whatever you have set on the Windows Sound panel.

Quote:

That should be about right.
post #111 of 2707 Old 02-10-2010, 09:21 PM

Thanks all for the quick replies. I'm good to go. Yea, as fast as he churns them out he's a wizard. I certainly do not understand EDIDs at all so will do some reading.
post #112 of 2707 Old 02-10-2010, 11:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The ATI setting doesn't have any effect on MPC-HC for me, which renderer are you using? Are you on Windows 7/Vista, or XP?

The "Dynamic Range" option definitely has an effect on MPC-HC here. I'm using the EVR custom renderer and Win7.
Quote:

So the difference on SD and HD material is only on MPC-HC then, and not on the commercial players?

I haven't checked SD material on the commercial players yet (normally I only use them for BD and HD-DVD).

I'll do some more testing with the 5750 when I have time.
post #113 of 2707 Old 02-11-2010, 02:15 AM

Hi guys,

So I've been pouring over this and other posts for the last 3 hours and have tried everything in the book but still can't get PowerDvd 9 to give me the magic 3rd option. I've got a Sapphire 5670 btw. I've tried every inf file out there but still no luck. Any ideas? I'm getting ready to throw in the towel.
post #114 of 2707 Old 02-11-2010, 03:21 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterKeef View Post

Hi guys,

So I've been pouring over this and other posts for the last 3 hours and have tried everything in the book but still can't get PowerDvd 9 to give me the magic 3rd option. I've got a Sapphire 5670 btw. I've tried every inf file out there but still no luck. Any ideas? I'm getting ready to throw in the towel.

Have you already applied an EDID override? That's what you need to do.

post #115 of 2707 Old 02-11-2010, 05:03 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Tulli,

Wanna give me a hand?

The technical process is exactly what vladd so precisely describes. T

To tell you thw whole story, the main reason we went into this was 5xxxs cards not bitstreaming on PDVD9 on some AVRs, mostly Denons & Sonys, and to a lesser degree Onkyos. The problem was obviously in the drivers and their (bad) parsing of the audio block, so knowing that the EDID could be modded, it just occurrred to me to replace the audio block of my "failing" Denon EDID with one known to work with the 5xxxs, and this worked wonderfully.

I, we all, certainly expect ATI to work this out ASAP. They "promised" that the problem would be fixed for January or February driver releases, but so far, at least up to 10.2 RC2 beta, nada!

Of course, EDID is also about video, and here we have a real MESS! 1) because of the "weakness", to put it bluntly, of the EDID VESA standard itself. 2) And then we have the already traditional crappiness of ATI drivers in parsing the EDID.

The problem with the EDID standard is most apparent when you have the specific hdmi chain of a HDTV or proj. going through the AVR/AVP to your HTPC. You certainly would expect that the HTPC will receive an EDID with video descriptors from the HDTV + audio descriptors from the AVR/AVP. Right? Simple, isn't it?

Well, from what I've seen so far the EDID VESA standard can be fullfilled in too many different ways. For instance Sonys and HK AVRs tend to have 2 audio blocks!!! Why? OTH compare a wonderfully detailed Sharp Aquos EDID, but try to combine it with a Sony AVR EDID and you'll find that all info doesn't fit in the standard 256-byte EDID allocation.

And what happens when you plug-in a standard PC monitor, i.e. a non-HDTV device, to the AVR/AVP-HTPC chain?

The answer is, you guessed it right?, that with any EDID issue/incompatibility the AVR/AVP EDID gets precedence. If the AVR/AVP video data is in line with your HDTV you shouldn't have any video issues but otherwise ... So the "full mod" consists in replacing all video data in the AVR/AVP EDID with the HDTV's.

These EDID video mods have helped me solving unbearable handshake issues with my ATI 4670 & 5770 when switching sources, powering on/off the HDTV or AVR. Most of the time I lost all detection of the HDTV and had to power on/off the HTPC.

In the end, this is the reason that the EDID override feature has been made available by M$ since Vista: to cope with EDID issues that, neither the Windows monitor driver architecture, nor graphic drivers, can solve right now.

post #116 of 2707 Old 02-11-2010, 06:06 AM
Advanced Member

Does anyone know when ATI is going to be releasing a good set of catalyst drivers for the 5670. I am about to pull the trigger but I keep reading about how people are using different driver versions, and hotfixes, and seperate audio drivers from realtek, etc....

Is there a good stable driver released yet for the 5670 for windows 7 x64?

I've never been very impressed with drivers on the manufacturer CD and always go to the chipset source for updated drivers but in this case it seems ATI does not have their ship in order yet.

| XBOX360 - headshotwi | PS3 - headshotwi |
| Klipsch RF-82, RS-62, RC-64 | HSU ULS-15 DualDrive | Onkyo PR-SC5507P| Panasonic TC-P65V10 | Emotiva XPA-5 & UPA-2 |
post #117 of 2707 Old 02-11-2010, 06:18 AM

Thanks to all. I will know more in time, since the error did not always appear.

I will also set 7MC to 2 channel, just to be on the safe side.
post #118 of 2707 Old 02-11-2010, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by sethhobrin View Post

Does anyone know when ATI is going to be releasing a good set of catalyst drivers for the 5670. I am about to pull the trigger but I keep reading about how people are using different driver versions, and hotfixes, and seperate audio drivers from realtek, etc....

Is there a good stable driver released yet for the 5670 for windows 7 x64?

I've never been very impressed with drivers on the manufacturer CD and always go to the chipset source for updated drivers but in this case it seems ATI does not have their ship in order yet.

9.12 hot fix is a decent driver and works well with the 5670 on win7 x64.
post #119 of 2707 Old 02-11-2010, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraggermcg View Post

Don't know if this is a known problem with the latest cards, but is anyone with a 5000 series card still getting problems coming out of S3 sleep like many suffered on the 4000 series?

Ideally I'd like to hear from someone who had problems with the latter and discovered they went away after upgrading!

In my particular instance using a 4650 and an EDID override (probably not needed anymore but it worked so I kept it!) I occasionally get an error "no sound device found" when coming out of sleep mode. Have to put the computer back to sleep and turn it on again to get it working.

I guess I'm the only one then?! Seriously would be good to hear from a couple of people that use S3 sleep that it's definitely working OK on their system - no intermittant black screens or audio device not found errors.
post #120 of 2707 Old 02-11-2010, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

You're not the only one that I've heard of having those troubles (I don't have them), but I haven't heard of anyone that had them with a 4000 series and got fixed with the 5000 series.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page