ATI HD 5000 Series Known Problems (5870 5850 5770 5750 5670 5570 5450) - Page 9 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #241 of 2707 Old 02-13-2010, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulli View Post

You'll get no TrueHD without the EDID override on the Denon (only DTS HD).

Any of the overrides will solve the audio issue but not sure about video. As you can see in the list available there're no proj., so maybe a custom mod would be best for you.

Post both full 256-byte EDIDs of the proj. & the Denon so that I make the custom mod. Follow the instructions in section 3 on the link in my sig. And beware that the full 256-byte EDID cannot be captured on an ATI 5xxx. You'll need another card or a different HDMI equipped PC to do the capture.

Thanks - at the moment, that's not possible - I don't have another HDMI based computer.

What are the video issues? Right now, everything is playing fine with TMT3 (haven't installed the beta yet) and send multichannel PCM.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 2707 Old 02-13-2010, 04:16 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcell View Post

I can't for the life of me figure out why I cannot bitstream TrueHD . DTS-MA and all other legacy formats work great. With TrueHD I get good video but no audio at all. If I try skipping ahead the video just freezes.

Any ideas on what to tweak or change?

My setup:
Denon AVR-1910
SAPPHIRE Radeon HD5670
ATI Catalyst driver (1/14/2010)
MPC-HC svn 1650
FFDshow 3267
RealTek 2.39 (also tried 2.42)
Tulli's EDID mod
DirectX End-User Runtime installed
Screen & TV display 1920x1080@60
Win7 x86

FFDshow & MPC-HC setup identical to dbone1026 Guide. No other codecs installed.

If TrueHD is not working then there's a problem with the EDID override. I checked the .inf I sent you and the audio block is OK, so check that the override is actually installed (Device Manager-> Monitors (expand). Did you reboot after applying the override?

EDID Overrides (capture, install/uninstall, troubleshooting)
post #243 of 2707 Old 02-13-2010, 04:23 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post

Thanks - at the moment, that's not possible - I don't have another HDMI based computer.

What are the video issues? Right now, everything is playing fine with TMT3 (haven't installed the beta yet) and send multichannel PCM.

Thanks

After applying any of the available Denon overrides check that you have all refresh rates available on CCC. See also that you don't lose detection by the ATI driver when switching sources or powering on/off proj. a/o denon. Or check that color depth is not affected.

post #244 of 2707 Old 02-13-2010, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

After applying any of the available Denon overrides check that you have all refresh rates available on CCC. See also that you don't lose detection by the ATI driver when switching sources or powering on/off proj. a/o denon. Or check that color depth is not affected.

Are these potential problems only after the EDID patch? If so, at this point, maybe I'll just stick with PCM until ATI get's their act together...

thanks
post #245 of 2707 Old 02-13-2010, 04:33 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Are these potential problems only after the EDID patch? If so, at this point, maybe I'll just stick with PCM until ATI get's their act together...

thanks

Yes, they are. OTH install/uninstall of the overriden monitor driver is very easy with no further effects, but yes, if you don't want to mess with it in any way better wait for ATI. They were supposed to fix this issue for January or February driver releases (CAT 10.1 or 10.2) but so far as 10.2 beta RC2 the fix is not there.

post #246 of 2707 Old 02-13-2010, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, they are. Install/uninstall of the overriden monitor driver is very easy with no further effects, but yes, if you don't want to mess with it in any way better wait for ATI. They were supposed to fix this issue for January or February driver releases (CAT 10.1 or 10.2) but so far as 10.2 beta RC2 the fix is not there.

Thanks - as an aside, would a DVI to HDMI connection work to get the EDID info?

Thanks
post #247 of 2707 Old 02-13-2010, 04:36 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Thanks - as an aside, would a DVI to HDMI connection work to get the EDID info?

Thanks

No. The problem is the 5xxx card specifically.

post #248 of 2707 Old 02-13-2010, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No. The problem is the 5xxx card specifically.

NO, I mean I have DVI on another card on another computer...would that work?
post #249 of 2707 Old 02-13-2010, 04:56 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

NO, I mean I have DVI on another card on another computer...would that work?

Ah, yes, that would work.

post #250 of 2707 Old 02-13-2010, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ah, yes, that would work.

So do I hook directly up to the projector and directly up to the AVP-A1 separately and run that software?

Thanks
post #251 of 2707 Old 02-13-2010, 05:13 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

If TrueHD is not working then there's a problem with the EDID override. I checked the .inf I sent you and the audio block is OK, so check that the override is actually installed (Device Manager-> Monitors (expand). Did you reboot after applying the override?

Well, the doggone thing seems to now work for TrueHD. I verified the override was installed and previously did reboot but rebooted one more time. Still nothing. Went into FFDshow audio, verified all formats set to pass-through and flipped the TrueHD decoder to disabled, hit apply, play movie >> still no change. Flipped TrueHD back to libavcodec, hit apply, play movie and finally TrueHD lit up on the AVR and there be sound!
Really bizarre and makes no sense to me but it's working now. Perhaps some bug with FFDshow.
Now shall attempt playback using WMP.

Thanks again!
post #252 of 2707 Old 02-13-2010, 05:28 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

So do I hook directly up to the projector and directly up to the AVP-A1 separately and run that software?

Thanks

Yes.

post #253 of 2707 Old 02-13-2010, 07:22 PM

Quote:

You know, I'm using the native ATI HDMI driver, otherwise I can't bitstream DTS HD HR with PDVD9. So, specificallly for deailing with PDVD9 you could try the ATI driver.

The Realtek should work though. Do you have AnyDVDHD?

As for ffdshow, it's not strictly necessary to set it as preferred decoder in MPC-HC. But if you want to you have to manually add it there.

Only with Realtek the 3rd option HD pass-through appears in PDVD9 audio setup, but no HD sound (mute). I don't know how to config MPC-HC + ffdshow, it doesn't load blu ray anyway. I've trying Quantum of Solace and Terminator Salvation blu-ray discs (DTS-HD MA 48/24). It`s a nightmare to make that lion (Metro) roar in DTS-HD!...
No success with AnyDVD HD too. I'll wait for a possible solution in ATI driver update.
Thank you very much for your help, Tulli.
post #254 of 2707 Old 02-13-2010, 08:15 PM

Quote:

If TrueHD is not working in PDVD9, but working fine in MPC-HC+ffdshow, would an override make any difference at all? (Onkyo 605, Radeon 5670) I have yet to try any.
post #255 of 2707 Old 02-13-2010, 09:43 PM

Just thought id contribute on my findings.
I have a denon 789 which I think is pretty much a 1909 in other countries.

Anyway I have a 5770, and I find with the edid override bitstreaming is fine in PDVD and TMT3.

I have recently updated to these 8.703 drivers and have found I can bitstream DTSHD in TMT3 without the edid override, however TrueHD still doesn't work without the override.

So it looks like ATi are making progress, but I just can't believe how this can be so difficult for them too get right!
post #256 of 2707 Old 02-14-2010, 02:41 AM

Recently picked up A Sapphire 5770 1GB (the default one) and am very, very pleased with its performance as opposed to my old 4850 (was ridiculously loud and didn't look anywhere near as sharp).

I'm having some issues with the audio though.

When I installed the 10.1 CCC Suite I could only set the HDMI output in playback devices to stereo speakers and my only options for settings for audio quality were 32/16, 44.1/16, and 48/16.

I added the Realtek Drivers (2.39) and that improved the playback settings. I could now set my speakers to Quadrophonic, 5.1, and 7.1 as well and could set the quality to 32/16, 44.1/16, 48/16, 88.2/16, 96/16, 44.1/24, 48/24, and 96/24.

With the release of the new TMT3 Beta, I went back to the ATI Drivers as others were saying that, with the .170 Beta, TMT3 was automatically switching channels and converting to LPCM without any loss in quality.

When I attempted to watch 300 (original Japanese Blu-Ray release), I could only run the lower-res audio. If I attempted to run the LPCM or Dolby-TrueHD tracks, it would begin to stutter and eventually crash. At one point I also got a bombesque high-pitched shriek from the system. The output was only stereo.

Here is my system:
  • Intel DG45ID
  • Intel Q6600 (SLACR Revision)
  • 4GB A DATA DD2 800 SDRAM
  • Windows 7 RC 64-Bit (still searching for a well-priced Ultimate 64 here)
  • AnyDVD HD
  • Sapphire Radeon HD 5770 1GB GDDR5 (no frills version)
  • Denon A7100 Pre/Pro
  • Panasonic TH-AE500 Projector

If there is any potentially relevant info that I have left out, let me know and I'll add it. I skimmed through the thread for a similar issue, but didn't see anything, but as I was going through a lot of information quickly, it's quite possible I missed something.

At this point I have reinstalled the Realtek drivers and reset TMT3 to mix the TrueHD/DTS HD-MA/LPCM tracks to DTS for the sake of simplicity of playback, but if it is possible to keep this thing set to stereo and have TMT3 processing the TrueHD and DTS HD-MA tracks and outputting full res LPCM, then I would immensely prefer it.
post #257 of 2707 Old 02-14-2010, 03:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Andy;

Realtek 242 test results (242 over Ati 10.1 drivers)

DVBViewer never gives any audio output and video stream corrupts without WASAPI exclusive.
It gives audio output with ReClock on WASAPI exclusive mode.

7/64
Denon override by tulli
10.1 Ati drivers+ Realtek 242
Denon 1910

Chronical Tester
post #258 of 2707 Old 02-14-2010, 04:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Thanks, I'll add that to the OP.
post #259 of 2707 Old 02-14-2010, 04:52 AM

Thanks rica!

Am switching to the updated Realtek drivers. Will play with the EDID when I have time.

Is the EDID for the "Generic PNP Monitor" what was limiting me to stereo?
post #260 of 2707 Old 02-14-2010, 04:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Chipacabra, are you having trouble with the Realtek drivers as well? If so, with DVBViewer like rica, or with any other program? I'm curious as to what DVBViewer might be doing for the Realtek driver not to work, but I don't have that program.
post #261 of 2707 Old 02-14-2010, 05:05 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by klillevo View Post

If TrueHD is not working in PDVD9, but working fine in MPC-HC+ffdshow, would an override make any difference at all? (Onkyo 605, Radeon 5670) I have yet to try any.

No difference.

post #262 of 2707 Old 02-14-2010, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy o View Post

Chipacabra, are you having trouble with the Realtek drivers as well? If so, with DVBViewer like rica, or with any other program? I'm curious as to what DVBViewer might be doing for the Realtek driver not to work, but I don't have that program.

I'm not using DVBViewer. At this point I can't even seem to get a reliable TV connection (old building).

My problem has to do with the Configuration and Properties settings under Playback Devices in Windows 7 RC. With the 10.1 Drivers I'm limited in Configuration to stereo only and my quality options under Properties are limited to 32/16, 44.1/16, and 48/16). I believe this is what's causing my playback problems with the ATI HDMI drivers under TMT3.

With the Realtek drivers I get all the Configuration and Properties options back (except for 192/16 and 192/24 if the 5770 supports those), but according to the thread in the Arcsoft Forum, the bitstreaming and LPCM options in the recently released .170 TMT3 Beta are only compatible with the ATI driver and do not work with the Realtek drivers (2.39, 2.42, etc.).

I haven't read this anywhere else, and we are well beyond the point where anyone who was using the Win 7 RC should have replaced it with the retail version, so I wonder if my difficulties are due to the fact that I'm still using Win 7 RC. Maybe it's as simple as the ATI Drivers or the new TMT3 Beta being written for the retail version and not the release candidate, and that's why it isn't working properly. Seems unlikely, but I'm not seeing anything anywhere else of anyone being limited to 2-channel audio by the ATI HDMI driver.

I hope to be able to get a copy of Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Edition soon, but haven't had too much luck tracking it down from a retailer over here I feel comfortable buying it from. Once I do, I plan on doing a clean reinstall and I can check to see if I have this problem with the ATI drivers then.

Maybe before then Arcsoft will have updated the .170 Beta to work with the Realtek drivers and I'll be able to give that a run.

In the meantime the only way I can get more than stereo out of this card is to use the Realtek drivers.

Edit:

It is worth mentioning that the Denon A7100 is an HDMI 1.1 Preamp/Processor, so it does not decode TrueHD and DTS HD-MA. My interest in getting the TMT3 .170 BETA working is that it supposedly supports non-downsampled LPCM output via the Xonar and 5XXX series cards. Some posters have also claimed that it changes the number of channels as well. If I can achieve that without having to configure Reclock to do so, then that would make the 5770 the best purchase I've made on this PC since AnyDVD HD.
post #263 of 2707 Old 02-14-2010, 05:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks

Quote:

Yes.

Actually, I'm not thinking straight...my HTPC is connected to a 4x4 HDMI/Twisted Pair matrix switch (by Intelix) - so the sources are shared out to (and simultaneously up to) any of four zones, each with different displays and/or AVR's.

This is all working quite well right now - with this scenario, can I not even attempt this custom EDID workaround, or would I read the EDID information connected directly to the Intelix matrix switch itself? To the 5760 card, it never shows any change or difference in the options regardless of which zone is on or off.

Thanks
post #264 of 2707 Old 02-14-2010, 06:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Chupacabra, if you're not using DVBViewer then the Realtek driver shouldn't be a problem for you. I'm going to test the new one with ReClock and see if it still exhibits the problems that 2.39 did.
post #265 of 2707 Old 02-14-2010, 06:21 AM
AVS Club Gold

Chupacabra,
You're getting same audio from 5770 as 4500 IGP ?

"The purpose of diplomacy is to prolong a crisis." Spock, Mark of Gideon, TOS
post #266 of 2707 Old 02-14-2010, 06:29 AM

Tulli,

Can you do me a big favour and do a mod for my Samsung PS50P96 and Onkyo 876 please?

thank you James

Samsung & Onkyo.zip 2.337890625k . file
post #267 of 2707 Old 02-14-2010, 07:28 AM

Tulli, can u help me with a mod for my Sony 46v5500 and H/K 355? thx

moninfo_avr355-sony46v5500.zip 6.1806640625k . file
post #268 of 2707 Old 02-14-2010, 07:49 AM

Hi Tulli

First of all a BIG THANK YOU for all your support and knowledge that you are sharing.

My setup consists of an HTPC running W7 64bit, a Sapphire ATI HD5570 HMDI, a Pioneer Plasma TV (LX5090H) and a Denon 2808 amp

I have too many problems currently with this setup. I would greatly appreciate it if you could please create the combined EDID inf file in case it resolves some of my audio problems. I am attaching the individual .inf files but I am not 100% sure if they were extracted correctly since the Real-Time option in moninfo was no present when the corresponding (TV only & TV+AMP) were connected. The real-time option did came up when I had connected the Samsung VGA monitor so I am not sure what is the problem with the real-time. The moninfo version is 2.43.0.822

Thanks so much for all your help

Pioneer+Denon.zip 1.931640625k . file
post #269 of 2707 Old 02-14-2010, 08:08 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Actually, I'm not thinking straight...my HTPC is connected to a 4x4 HDMI/Twisted Pair matrix switch (by Intelix) - so the sources are shared out to (and simultaneously up to) any of four zones, each with different displays and/or AVR's.

This is all working quite well right now - with this scenario, can I not even attempt this custom EDID workaround, or would I read the EDID information connected directly to the Intelix matrix switch itself? To the 5760 card, it never shows any change or difference in the options regardless of which zone is on or off.

Thanks

Of course the connections
  • Proj--[switch]--(capturing) PC, and
  • Denon--[switch]--(capturing) PC

are required.

post #270 of 2707 Old 02-14-2010, 08:20 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmantzar View Post

Hi Tulli

First of all a BIG THANK YOU for all your support and knowledge that you are sharing.

My setup consists of an HTPC running W7 64bit, a Sapphire ATI HD5570 HMDI, a Pioneer Plasma TV (LX5090H) and a Denon 2808 amp

I have too many problems currently with this setup. I would greatly appreciate it if you could please create the combined EDID inf file in case it resolves some of my audio problems. I am attaching the individual .inf files but I am not 100% sure if they were extracted correctly since the Real-Time option in moninfo was no present when the corresponding (TV only & TV+AMP) were connected. The real-time option did came up when I had connected the Samsung VGA monitor so I am not sure what is the problem with the real-time. The moninfo version is 2.43.0.822

Thanks so much for all your help

The captures are useless (128-byte only), but look on the overides list for any mod of type

Plasma TV + DENON AVR

It should work fine for your setup.

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page