Video card -> DVI to HDMI cable -> LCD monitor - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 02-10-2010, 06:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am trying to do the following connection but I intermittently get "No Signal, check cable" on my monitor. I don't even see the BIOS screen on my PC when it boots if the signal is not working.
From PC ->
SPARKLE GeForce 8400 GS 256MB 64-bit DDR2 PCI-E x16 HDCP Ready

DVI out to ->

KINGWIN 6 ft. HDMI Male to DVI Male Extension Cable Model HDMIC-02

to HDMI in on ->

Hanns-G HG-216DPB 21.6" Widescreen LCD Monitor

If I unplug both the PC and the Monitor for a while, then turn on the PC first then the monitor I can sometimes get the Monitor to have signal just like normal. Resolution and everything is fine in my OS as well. Cycling the power like this is not 100% repeatable, sometimes it doesn't work.

However, if I shut down the computer then start it back up without unplugging everything, the monitor will not even display the bios info as the PC boots. The monitor just displays "No signal, check signal cable" and it continues to display this even when the PC gets to the OS.

Both the monitor and the video card are HDCP enabled, allegedly.

Using VGA -> VGA works as normal but does not get me the resolution I want, because it is not DVI/HDMI.

I've looked into this problem on several forums and have not been able to find anybody with the same issue.

Thanks in advance for your time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 02-10-2010, 08:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Since your monitor has a 1680x1050 native and you can get that with VGA why try HDMI you won't get any better resolution?
If you are trying to have your PC desktop at a higher resolution then you should be able to have the PC desktop at the higher resolution and have your graphics card downscale that to 1680x1050 for output over VGA.
HDCP has nothing to do with your problem.
Do you have both cables connected to the monitor at the same time? If yes use only one at a time.
post #3 of 19 Old 02-10-2010, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter

With VGA connected I couldn't get my resolution that high. This is likely software related and I can figure that out on my own (I run Ubuntu 9.10 and the NVidia driver app did not let me select resolution higher than 1280x780).

I do not have VGA and DVI hooked up to the video card at the same time.

So I don't know why Ubuntu won't let me get my resolution up that high and I don't know why the HDMI only works intermittently.

Thanks for your quick response.
post #4 of 19 Old 02-10-2010, 08:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I have no problem outputing 1680x1050 over either VGA or DVI to my 1680x1050 monitor running either Vista or Win7 with my Nvidia 8500GT graphics card.
Some HDMI cables if not plugged straight in may not connect with all pins.
post #5 of 19 Old 02-10-2010, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
It could also be a driver issue with Ubuntu. Do you have a dual OS setup where you can load a Windows OS to test?
post #6 of 19 Old 02-11-2010, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter

This machine only has Ubuntu currently.

Regarding the DVI/HDMI issue- Using a DVI -> VGA adapter I connected the monitor to the DVI port via a VGA cable so

DVI -> adapter -> VGA -> monitor's VGA port (not HDMI port like before)

This behaved exactly the same as before with the DVI-HDMI cable. It works sometimes (like 1/10 power cycles).

So this pretty much rules out problems with the DVI-HDMI cable or my monitor. It seems like my video card is not turning on the DVI port or something since I can even see my computers bios on boot.

---

Regarding the VGA issue in Ubuntu 9.10- It seems like over VGA it thinks my monitor is a generic CRT and won't allow for resolutions higher than 1280x720. I've looked into the issue online and there are few clear solutions. When hooked up under DVI either with HDMI or VGA on the monitor end, Ubuntu appropriately detects my monitor and lets me have 1680x1050 resolution.

This problem is all software, I really want to know why my videocard won't allow the DVI port to work 9 times out of 10.

Thanks again for all your responses.
post #7 of 19 Old 02-15-2010, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter

*Bump*

Problem is still happening. After several power-on-off cycles I can get DVI output from my card.
post #8 of 19 Old 02-15-2010, 05:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

If you restart your PC instead of powering it off by shuting it down will the DVI connection still not normally come up?
If the native resolution of your monitor is 1680x1050 and you can send it that over VGA and perfect 1:1 pixel mapping why do you want to send it another resolution over DVI/HDMI only to have the monitor rescale what you send it to 1680x1050 and causing blurry small text content in PC applications?
post #9 of 19 Old 02-15-2010, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter

Restarting causes the same loss of DVI connection as power-off.

I have a separate issue with VGA. Ubuntu 9.10 won't recognize my monitor as having the ability to do 1680x1050 (it recognizes it as generic CRT). This is a software issue.

My real issue is with the DVI as that is how I was initially working around the software problem. I have not noticed any significant blurriness. It's just strange that my DVI port on my video card only works from time to time. Any other thoughts?
post #10 of 19 Old 02-16-2010, 08:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

The fact that you do not even get the BIOS display at boot time makes me think it is the card since apparenlty you don't get any beeps either to indicate that no graphics display is available on s boot or restart.
How do you determine that the OS has booted if you have no display on the monitor?
Also make sure that the your cable connections are not tilted to one side or the other when connected as this can happen especially with a DVI connector that is screwed down all the way on one side first before screwing down the other side and this can cause all of the pins in the connector not to connect properly.
post #11 of 19 Old 02-16-2010, 08:38 AM - Thread Starter

Yah I don't get any "No display" beeps. I know my OS boots because it makes the normal sounds and if I switch to VGA I can see my OS, but with the resolution problem I described above.

I'll check the cables again when I get home. I think it may be the card as well. If it is what can be done about it? I bought the card months ago and it worked well up until January-ish. I can't think of anything that happened around that time that could have damaged the card in such a specific way.
post #12 of 19 Old 02-16-2010, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
It's possible he doesn't see the POST screen because by the time the TV gets the signal and starts displaying, the PC has already passed the POST and started loading the OS.

Only 2 things you can really do to test if it's the video card is place the video card in another PC or place another video card in this PC. It would help if you had a nvidia to test with to prove an ATI driver issue.
post #13 of 19 Old 02-16-2010, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter

But I can see the POST screen on the rare occasions that the DVI port does work (like 1 in every 10 power-on-off-cycles). And when I don't see the POST screen, I also don't see the OS when it boots, and in these situations I can switch to VGA and also see the OS.

So why won't my DVI port on my video card turn on?
And why in Ubuntu 9.10 does it think my monitor is a CRT and limits my resolution to 1280x780 when I can do higher over DVI?
post #14 of 19 Old 02-16-2010, 10:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

If there is no Post screen then the OS and drivers make no differnce since no OS is even loaded yet. But since he also gets no beeps and can switch to VGA it means that the computer appears think that it is talking to the receiver over DVI and if this is the case then it is the receiver that is not talking to the TV.
I know nothing about Ubuntu so I have no idea why he can not output a different resolution over VGA with it's drivers.
post #15 of 19 Old 02-16-2010, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter

I agree, except I can't explain why the same problem happens in both of these configurations:

Video card -> DVI port -> DVI-to-HDMI cable -> DVI input of monitor
and
Videocard -> DVI port -> DVI-to-VGA adapter -> VGA input of monitor
post #16 of 19 Old 02-16-2010, 01:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

According to the pic in the following link your Sparkel card does not support a DVI-I to VGA dongle since it has a separate VGA connector. It appears that the DVI-I connector supports a DVI-I to component/composite dongle with the 4 analog pins on the DVI-I connector instead.

http://www.sparkle.com.tw/product_de...=65&sub_id=118
post #17 of 19 Old 02-16-2010, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

So you would recommend I try to get the VGA to work then since the DVI port was not meant for VGA or HDMI interconnectivity?
post #18 of 19 Old 02-16-2010, 04:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Absolutly.
post #19 of 19 Old 02-16-2010, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter

I started a new thread to cover the Ubuntu side of my problem.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post18149785

Walford, thanks for all of your time.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page