Need help in deciding how to store dvd's - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 48 Old 02-12-2010, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have about 700-1000 standard definition DVDs laying around my house. Nothing is more bothersome than trying to find the movie you want to watch while going through 20 booklets. What i want to do with out breaking the bank is store ALL of these DVD's onto some sort of media center that has an interface directly linked to my surround system/tv where when I turn it on i can search alphabetically or by genre by actor etc. etc. What type of products can you guys direct me to. i am looking to spend about 1k-2200k on this IF there is even a product in that price range. If not what do you suggest i can do in order to help preserve these dvds and keep track of what i have and dont have. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 Old 02-12-2010, 02:15 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 21
These hold about 150 DVD's each can be daisy chained & stacked together via USB for up to 127 units. About $100.00 each on sale. Dacal has some newer models I have not looked at yet.

Very excellent DVD storage dust free and automated or manual retrieval. Nothing better I know about?

http://www.crazypc.com/products/9651...FZxh2godnwYkXw
post #3 of 48 Old 02-12-2010, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for the response. Looks interesting, I was looking for something more on the lines of media center server. Something that has 4+ TB of memory that i can just upload and store these things on. Any thoughts on that?
post #4 of 48 Old 02-12-2010, 02:59 PM

If you want something prebuilt, here you go. If you are the DIY guy, any computer can do what your asking. YOu just need to make sure you have enough physical space for storage drives in the case. Ripping and cataloging DVD's is almost automatic these days with my movies and media center. Mymovies will detect the disk as you insert it, download all the info for it, and then rip it to a hard drive for you. each dvd is going to be around 6GB, so you will need about 6TB if you want to go with ISO's or complete rips. Main movie rips will be a little smaller at 4-6gbs.
post #5 of 48 Old 02-12-2010, 03:10 PM

Liked: 11
you should look into using mymovies to rip and catalog your movies. To store them look at windows home server or an unRaid server.
post #6 of 48 Old 02-12-2010, 06:34 PM

Well, you could get a couple Sony CX777ES's. They store 400 dvds each and can be controled by RS232. I know if you use cinemar products (MainLobby/DVDLobby) you can view and sort your movies then control the players to play them. Not sure how much the software is and, as I remember, there is a bit of a learning curve to it. I think I remember seeing something about My Movies having this capability as well but, I'm not sure. Just figured I'd throw that info out there as no one had mentioned it.
post #7 of 48 Old 02-15-2010, 08:13 AM - Thread Starter

Is it possible to burn DVD's that are protected onto an HP server. And is there an easier way to get that information onto the TV. Maybe i am not explaining what i am looking for. I want to upload all of my dvd's onto a server, computer, media center whatever. I want that to be directly connected to my Home theater receiver/tv. So i can turn on my tv and scroll though the interface on the server/media center and select my dvd without ever having to get it out of the booklet ever again. I understand the HP stores dvds i just dont see how it would be able to get hooked up into the tv. What i want is something connects to my tv that all it is is DVD storage. I dont want it for anything else...
post #8 of 48 Old 02-15-2010, 08:24 AM

With the hp media server you would need a second htpc to play the ripped discs. Something like the aspire revo would work excellent.
post #9 of 48 Old 02-15-2010, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter

so would it be better to just build one? Seems like the HP is not what i am looking for. I simply want to just insert a dvd, store onto device, and have an interface that shows all of my dvds. I am looking at something like this, VidaBox SLIMv3.The costs on that are way to high. So i am trying to find a better solution. Thanks
post #10 of 48 Old 02-15-2010, 12:27 PM

you can achieve basically what vidabox provides by using a windows 7 media center with mymovies to play the movies and a Windows home server(whs) machine to store them. Whether you want to build those machines yourself from scratch or buy them off the shelf is up to you.

Personally I built a whs using the norco 4020 case that can hold twenty hard drives and has two blu ray readers attached. When I put a disc in they automatically rip the discs and catalog them with metadata in the mymovies database. Then I Just go into my win7 MCE and through mymmovies can play those discs over the network.

Check out www.mymovies.dk and look at all the setup options and then from there you will have an idea of what its capable of.
post #11 of 48 Old 02-15-2010, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter

Ok so if i already have a HP computer i need to go get some sort of server set up (basically where everything is stored). How do i get this to go onto my tv? The vidabox could plug right in and sits on my rack and blends in. What can i do to not have dozens of wires running around.
post #12 of 48 Old 02-15-2010, 12:45 PM

If there is room in your existing computer you could always just add hard drives to it. Does it have media center?
post #13 of 48 Old 02-15-2010, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

not entirely sure. I only have windows vista. how would i determine if i have it? Also, how could i get my computer to be directly connected via HDMI. is that possible?
post #14 of 48 Old 02-15-2010, 01:04 PM

If your version of vista came with media center it should be in the programs

Figure out what kind of inputs your tv has and what outputs your computer has, what kind of video card is it? Assuming your video card has hdmi and your tv has hdmi then they should hook right up.
post #15 of 48 Old 02-15-2010, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter

great, ill look into it tonight after work. ill be on tomorrow to let you know what can or cant be done.
post #16 of 48 Old 02-15-2010, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

I think the best thing would be to pick the DVDs you watch all the time and only rip those to a media center/file server/etc. Put those discs away in storage, then better organize the discs that are left so you can play them on the odd chance you want to watch one of them. I have a ton of DVDs, but we only watch a select few of them (less than 100). I ripped those for rapid access on a daily basis, and I have the others in a DVD organizer. Works well for us.
post #17 of 48 Old 02-16-2010, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

what kind of dvd organizer do you have. I like your idea of putting 1-150 on a drive and then using a storage for rest. could you go into better detail of what type of system you have?
post #18 of 48 Old 02-16-2010, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1038102j View Post

what kind of dvd organizer do you have. I like your idea of putting 1-150 on a drive and then using a storage for rest. could you go into better detail of what type of system you have?

Me I use a HTPC that I assembled myself.

I have 9x 1TB internal hard disk with a ProBox USB external 4 drives bay (empty for the time being. Ready for expanding the system).

For safety I use FlexRaid.

I rip my dvd in mkv (movie only no recompression, one audio track and subtitles if need be). Once rip I put my disk in a dvd sleeve and assign it a sequential number. This number is used in DVDProfiler to find it again in my disk box if need be.

I used Windows Media Server 7 with the Media Browser plugins to select and play my movies on my pj. I say used because my pj died and I'm presently redesigning my HT and planning to buy a 60 or 65" LCD.

Once the HTPC server will be full, I'll add another one beside it. Both of them are in another room and are accessed remotely and controled via a Bluetooth mouse/keyboard.
post #19 of 48 Old 02-16-2010, 12:43 PM
Advanced Member

I built a new pc with about 5TB space and it's running 2008R2 server with mymovies manager. I then used my old pc and installed windows7 and use mymovies client which connects to the server to play movies. This way allows me to keep my 2008R2 server on 24x7 and use it as a workstation and I only turn on my old media pc when i want to watch movies, TV, or listen to music. I also setup an 360 in my daughters room which also has access to all my movies and everything and the controller is easy enough my 4 year old can use it. We plugged her tv and 360 into a light switch and have the 360 auto start media center so she just clicks on mymovies then picks the cover of the movie she wants. I also enabled parental controls so she only sees g and pg movies and doesn't see any of ours. The 360 does require a computer to "transcode" the movie into a format the 360 can play. For this i enabled hyper-v and created a virtual machine inside the 2008R2 server and it has mymovies client on it and is setup as the extender. Transcoding uses a lot of power so having it on a virtual machine allows it to use the CPU and allocated ram from the 2008R2 and it works great. I'm assuming I could also get another 360 instead of my media computer but using my old pc I can easily get on netflix, youtube, pandora, and fox/cbs if i miss a recorded TV show. Buying all the OS's isn't ideal but if you have access to msdn or a technet subscription it's def worth it.
post #20 of 48 Old 02-16-2010, 12:51 PM
Advanced Member

for 1000 movies you only need about 6tb of space. 3x2tb would be under $600 for the drives, $100 for mobo, $100 ram, $100 Power supply, $100 Case, $150 Processor, $50 dvd drive. Thats around $1200 plus software for the server and using cheaper parts you can make a media pc for around $300. Just be prepared each movie takes around 15mins to rip 1000movies *15minutes /60min per hour= 25 total hours so i'd suggest getting a few dvd drives and ripping the important ones first then slowly rip the others.
post #21 of 48 Old 02-16-2010, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Or you could build an unRAID server for a fraction of the cost. You don't need a powerful CPU, motherboard or a lot of RAM. The software runs off a flash drive, which you can get with the software preinstalled when you purchase a license from Lime Technology. They have a free version that supports three drives (two data & one parity). The available licenses support either six or sixteen drives, including the one parity drive. You can buy an additional license for a reduced price so find a friend that also wants to build one and split the cost.

Rip the DVDs on your primary PC and then transfer them to the server. Depending on the speed of your CPU, you should be able to rip a standard DVD in less than 10 minutes per disc. My CPU is an AMD X2 5200+ @ 2.7GHz and I typically rip a full DVD in about 8 minutes. I use a Sony Optiarc SATA DVD burner for ripping the discs (less than $30 from Newegg; usually on sale for less w/free shipping). Get a couple and rip multiple DVDs simultaneously using AnyDVD HD.

You can buy cases fairly cheap, depending on how flexible you want them to be. A decent PSU will run you about $100 (don't scrimp here), but a compatible motherboard, CPU, and RAM will cost you only about $150-$200 total. You'll need an additional hard drive for parity, but it's cheap insurance if you lose a drive. Swap in a new drive and it will rebuild the data from the parity drive and restore the server as good as new.
post #22 of 48 Old 02-16-2010, 01:20 PM

I built a system around a Norco 4220. There are plenty of write ups on what parts to use ect. The system cost me about 1200, that didn't include all the drives I have added, but some. I have about 1200 movies on the server and am still in the process of addign my blu-rays and some dvd's. I use a HTPC to stream them to my tv. I also used a sony xl1b2 and a automated script written by someone else to rip my dvd's 200 at a time. I would load up the changer, hit go, and then all 200 would copy to the hard drive on the server. Saved me loads of time.

Building your own storage server is not difficult, and since you aren't looking for hardware raid performance, should be fairly cheap, skip windows home server cost and use UnRaid. Cheap, easy as hell to set-up and use, and a great support forum.
post #23 of 48 Old 02-16-2010, 01:28 PM
Advanced Member

Wow that's awesome you could mass autorip all those movies. My father has a sony 400disc dvd changer and another sony 400 disc bluray changer. I wonder if either one could autorip my dvd's I still have about 100 or so to copy and it's been a lengthy process.

unRAID seem's pretty cool. Do you know if I can install it and use on drives that already have data? I'm pretty sure I have an extra 2tb drive i could use.
post #24 of 48 Old 02-16-2010, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

all of this stuff is like from another planet. Can you provide me a link or just post what i need to purchase. I really appreciate everyones help. I just want the cheapest, easiest way to Rip, Store, good interface, and watch my dvds on my plasma TV with sound running through my onkyo receiver.

From what i am reading, the best thing to do is build my own system. Thats great, but i have seen systems on here that are like 500-1000 bucks but the way you guys are describing it, i dont need HALF of the stuff it has. I know its a pain in the butt but could you just plain and simple post what i need to purchase. That would be amazing. I have a 360 and PS3, if i have some sort of network storage with 6+TB on it how do i go about getting it onto my TV. I still dont quite understand that. Do i need to use the 360, can i bypass it, whats the best solution for getting the movie onto the TV. I guess i dont quite understand the technology and how it all works as far as a "flow" from each item.

thanks again.
post #25 of 48 Old 02-16-2010, 02:42 PM

I am going to watch this thread to see what recommendations pop up. I'm basically at the same point as the OP and would appreciate seeing what is suggested, especailly the getting from PC to TV part.

Thanks for all the folks who take the time to answer.

Movie Buff Extraodinaire
post #26 of 48 Old 02-16-2010, 03:36 PM

unRaid is nice but I prefer FlexRaid. unRaid isn't free when you go over 2 data drives and it is limited in the quantity of drives it can manage (at least it was when I checked into it). FlexRaid as no such limitation but it isn't a "live" system. You have to manually start the job of rsync. But this can be taken care of with a simple script.
post #27 of 48 Old 02-16-2010, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 139
UnRAID can handle up to 15 data drives. With the current crop of drives that means it can have a total capacity of 30TB. That's one heck of a lot of storage for a home server. If you've got that many movies to store, might I suggest you go outside once in a while and see the sunshine? I can't comment on FlexRAID because it came out after I had already built my unRAID server so there was no point in my testing it. I'm not sure but I thought I heard a rumor that unRAID was being updated to handle even more drives, but I could have just been on a bender at the time.

Getting data off the server to your TV is actually quite simple. You have a PC sitting near your TV connected with a DVI or HDMI cable from your PC's video card. Many current TVs even have a VGA port to connect to older graphics cards or laptops. Both the PC and the server are connected to a home network. You can stream videos from the server to the PC over the network and play them on your PC using a playback app like Cyberlink's PowerDVD or Arcsoft's TotalMedia Theater. If your PC uses Vista Home Premium, Vista Ultimate, or several versions of Windows 7 that come with Media Center, then you can play standard DVDs without the need for any other playback apps.

If you don't want a full-sized PC in your living room, there are small form factor PCs that are becoming quite popular for use as a Home Theater PC, including the Acer Aspire Revo and the Dell Zino HD. The Revo uses the Intel Atom CPU and the Zino uses the latest AMD low power CPUs. Both are capable of playing back HD content, including Blu-Ray discs, with the right hardware configuration.
post #28 of 48 Old 02-16-2010, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1038102j View Post

I buy DVD/CD binders and put my discs in there in alphabetical order. They all fit on one shelf in a bookcase.
post #29 of 48 Old 02-16-2010, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Why not just get a 2tb drive use Dvdshrink and store up to 1300 movies. Run an optical cable from his HP to the receiver and hook up the plasma either component or VGA to the Xbox.
post #30 of 48 Old 02-16-2010, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dschoemaker View Post

I am going to watch this thread to see what recommendations pop up. I'm basically at the same point as the OP and would appreciate seeing what is suggested, especailly the getting from PC to TV part.

Thanks for all the folks who take the time to answer.

Plug this into your tv with hdmi

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-235-_-Product

Connect it and your storage to the same network. movies stream from your storage server over the network to the htpc (a cheap option posted above).
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page