EDID Overrides to solve bitstreaming issues for ATI 5xxx's - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #721 of 4039 Old 03-18-2010, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterGeek View Post

No dice......There isn't a real-time option in Moninfo...Is there a way I can fix that?

Is that Moninfo last version? And the TV is plugged directly to the ATI card?

If you can't capture the real-time EDID with Moninfo latest version there's a problem with the ATI drivers. So uninstall ATI + Realtek drivers, cleanup with Driversweeper, install ATI 10.2 and try again.

Of course, that TV is not HDCP compliant, right? Do you have AnyDVDHD installed?

EDID Overrides (capture, install/uninstall, troubleshooting)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 4039 Old 03-18-2010, 03:19 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulli View Post

Is that Moninfo last version? And the TV is plugged directly to the ATI card?

If you can't capture the real-time EDID with Moninfo latest version there's a problem with the ATI drivers. So uninstall ATI + Realtek drivers, cleanup with Driversweeper, install ATI 10.2 and try again.

Of course, that TV is not HDCP compliant, right? Do you have AnyDVDHD installed?

I'm running Moninfo version 2.4

I'll clean up my drivers, but it's going to take a while... I'll get back to you when I'm finished.

EDIT:

Oh, yeah, I don't have any version of AnyDVD (Regular or HD) installed.
post #723 of 4039 Old 03-18-2010, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Oh, yeah, I don't have any version of AnyDVD (Regular or HD) installed.

I think you can download it and try it for a limited time.

post #724 of 4039 Old 03-18-2010, 03:57 PM

Quote:

I think you can download [AnyDVD HD] and try it for a limited time.

I'll go get the trial right now........but why do you want me to get it?
post #725 of 4039 Old 03-18-2010, 04:03 PM

I've got the Trial of AnyDVD HD now...What do I do?

EDIT:

I still can't get the Moninfo program to show the real-time option...maybe I didn't wipe my drivers thoroughly enough...
post #726 of 4039 Old 03-18-2010, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I'll go get the trial right now........but why do you want me to get it?

It would rule out the TV being non-HDCP compliant as the cause of the problem.

Quote:

I've got the Trial of AnyDVD HD now...What do I do?

Well, install it and see if it makes a difference.

post #727 of 4039 Old 03-18-2010, 04:12 PM

Quote:

It would rule out the TV being non-HDCP compliant as the cause of the problem.

Well, install it and see if it makes a difference.

unfortunately, Moninfo still isn't working...once again, maybe I didn't wipe my drivers thoroughly enough...
post #728 of 4039 Old 03-18-2010, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

unfortunately, Moninfo still isn't working...once again, maybe I didn't wipe my drivers thoroughly enough...

Download and run this program and post its log.

post #729 of 4039 Old 03-18-2010, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Download and run this program and post its log.
Here ya go!

softMCCS_log.txt 12.79296875k . file
Attached Files
File Type: txt softMCCS_log.txt (12.8 KB, 0 views)
post #730 of 4039 Old 03-18-2010, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Here ya go!

The raw EDID in the log is exactly the one in the registry for your GenericPnP and identical of course to the one captured by getEDID.

softMCCS crashes in a way very similar to how it did with previous moninfo versions on ATI 5xxxs cards.

Normally, without the override you should be able to get full SD multichannel audio (unless the Onkyo has problems with that TV ... has it ever worked before with a different graphic card?). For HD audio you'll require AnyDVDHD if you use commercial players (not with ffdshow).

So I'm clueless and can only recommend a complete system reinstall.

post #731 of 4039 Old 03-18-2010, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Actually, just search the registry for a value with "EDIDOverride" and delete all the ones you find. Then reboot. As long as the monitor driver is set back to the generic driver, the override will not be reapplied.
post #732 of 4039 Old 03-18-2010, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladd View Post

Actually, just search the registry for a value with "EDIDOverride" and delete all the ones you find. Then reboot. As long as the monitor driver is set back to the generic driver, the override will not be reapplied.

He already cleaned it up I guess. The softMCCS log above shows only one GenericPnP monitor for the TV with the raw EDID in the way I described.

post #733 of 4039 Old 03-18-2010, 05:10 PM

Quote:

The raw EDID in the log is exactly the one in the registry for your GenericPnP and identical of course to the one captured by getEDID.

softMCCS crashes in a way very similar to how it did with previous moninfo versions on ATI 5xxxs cards.

Normally, without the override you should be able to get full SD multichannel audio (unless the Onkyo has problems with that TV ... has it ever worked before with a different graphic card?). For HD audio you'll require AnyDVDHD if you use commercial players (not with ffdshow).

So I'm clueless and can only recommend a complete system reinstall.

*sigh*...I can get really determined about these kinds of things, so I might just try to wipe my system......Sorry I stumped you (hope it wasn't a faliure to follow directions on my part). I'm still convinced it has something to do with that DVI adapter. The sound for the 5770 card works on a newer flat panel I have downstairs.

I never installed any sort of mod when I was directly connected to the RPTV, so I'm really not surprised that the actual EDID you got from the log was the same as the EDID in the registry. If you wanted me to be hooked up to the Denon AVR when I ran that program to get that log, please say so, so I can re-run the program. I expect that, when the program is run on the Denon, it would return different actual and registry entries, as I think the mod may still be installed for the Denon.

I'll uninstall the mod, although it shouldn't do anything, right? And try it again. I may strike lucky.

About it working on different graphics cards, I actually have 2 HDMI ports in the back of my computer, on, of course, belongs to the 5770 graphics card, while the other is built into the motherboard. I'll try the MoBo's and see if that works, though I wanted to get it to work with the 5770 due to the HD audio streaming.

Thanks for all your help! I'll keep you updated if I make any progress.
post #734 of 4039 Old 03-18-2010, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladd View Post

I just did what you suggested, and searched the registry, and nothing was found (after I uninstalled that one mod).
post #735 of 4039 Old 03-18-2010, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

...I'm still convinced it has something to do with that DVI adapter. The sound for the 5770 card works on a newer flat panel I have downstairs.

Right, because maybe that newer flat panel is HDCP compliant.

But let me know how it goes ... there has to be a solution!

post #736 of 4039 Old 03-18-2010, 05:54 PM

Quote:

Right, because maybe that newer flat panel is HDCP compliant.

But let me know how it goes ... there has to be a solution!

Yeah, I know for a fact that the flat panel is HDCP compliant. And I'm highly convinced that the RCA RPTV isn't. Whenever I disconnect the RCA TV from the Denon receiver, I get audio. So the TV is definitely throwing a wrench into things.

Is it possible that because of the HDMI to DVI adapter my computer is recognizing the connection as a non-audio-supporting DVI connection? If so, is the connection type defined by the EDID standard? And if yes, is it possible to make an override that explicitly defines the connection as audio-supporting HDMI?
post #737 of 4039 Old 03-18-2010, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Yeah, I know for a fact that the flat panel is HDCP compliant. And I'm highly convinced that the RCA RPTV isn't. Whenever I disconnect the RCA TV from the Denon receiver, I get audio. So the TV is definitely throwing a wrench into things.

Is it possible that because of the HDMI to DVI adapter my computer is recognizing the connection as a non-audio-supporting DVI connection? If so, is the connection type defined by the EDID standard? And if yes, is it possible to make an override that explicitly defines the connection as audio-supporting HDMI?

But you could have an HDCP DVI-only, with no audio capabilities, monitor attached to the DENON and will certainly get audio (my DENON 2407WFP for a fact, or consider the first mod on the 1st post list, a Dell u2410 - DENON AVR1909 mod that worked for the specific case that I modded it for).

So HDCP is the issue IMO, which you can manage on the PC with AnyDVDHD, but then there's the DENON in the chain. HD video and audio require HDCP compliance.

Do you have a PS3 by chance to try and see if you get audio?

post #738 of 4039 Old 03-18-2010, 06:23 PM

Quote:

So HDCP is the issue IMO, which you can manage on the PC with AnyDVDHD, but then there's the DENON in the chain. HD video and audio require HDCP compliance.

Do you have a PS3 by chance to try and see if you get audio?

...That makes sense...Unfortunately I don't have a PS3, I have a DVD player hooked up via S/PDIF and component cables, I get Dolby Digital out of that, but I suppose that's different.

I'm going to have to read up on the HDCP standard, and see if there is a way to trick my computer into thinking that it's supported and connected.

It doesn't really make sense, though, that I don't get ANY audio at all, not even 2-channel stereo. Why would HDCP problems interfere with all audio formats, not just the HD formats?
post #739 of 4039 Old 03-18-2010, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

...That makes sense...Unfortunately I don't have a PS3, I have a DVD player hooked up via S/PDIF and component cables, I get Dolby Digital out of that, but I suppose that's different.

I'm going to have to read up on the HDCP standard, and see if there is a way to trick my computer into thinking that it's supported and connected.

It doesn't really make sense, though, that I don't get ANY audio at all, not even 2-channel stereo. Why would HDCP problems interfere with all audio formats, not just the HD formats?

Yes, it's different as that's an analog connection.

But I agree that, audio-wise, you should be getting SD formats. How about lowering the video resolution to 480p? That wouldn't require HDCP (I guess) Just for a quick experiment, maybe you'll get sound.

post #740 of 4039 Old 03-18-2010, 06:59 PM

Quote:

Yes, it's different as that's an analog connection.

But I agree that, audio-wise, you should be getting SD formats. How about lowering the video resolution to 480p? That wouldn't require HDCP (I guess) Just for a quick experiment, maybe you'll get sound.

Yes, that would be a good experiment to try, but unfortunately I packed up shop and moved my PC back upstairs to my room. Now someone else is watching TV, and I won't be able to use it again tonight. I don't think I'll be able to use it tomorrow, either, since I have some work to do. If I get all my work done before the weekend is over, I'll do that experiment. But you probably won't hear from me until then...

Thanks for all your help!
post #741 of 4039 Old 03-18-2010, 09:55 PM

Tulli,

Thank you for all the help you are giving everyone here!

I just setup my HTPC last week, which has an ATI 5750, only to discover that I can't hear our of my surround speakers (5.1) - only the center and fronts - when playing BluRay and DVD. The Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-UD2H motherboard also has a RealTek audio chip, but my default has been set to the ATI and 5.1 via Windows Sound Config.

Note that I can hear surround when listening to a Tivo HD program such as American Idol. Tivo HD is connected to the Onkyo via HDMI, as is my HTPC, and both connect to the Sharp with one HDMI cable.

I have tried installing/uninstalling/configuring PowerDVD10, TotalMedia Theatre 3, Corel WinDVD 2010 - none of them would output the surround. And for example, I'm missing that 3rd option on PowerDVD.

Researching all this online is what lead me to avsforum and your thread.

I'm hoping you can spare the time to help me.

I did run MonInfo to produce the two files (one was created with the HTPC direct to the Sharp, and the other was the Onkyo to the Sharp - per the instructions).

But I feel stupid - once you create a mod, I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do with it. Do I right-click it and then select "install"? And that should magically get my BluRay 5.1 working? Or is there something else I'm missing?

If I can get this to work, maybe I'll add the two extra speakers for 7.1.

Thanks again for your help!!

How can we help you!?

sharpLC5285DU-onkyoTXSR607.zip 2.4169921875k . file
Attached Files
File Type: zip sharpLC5285DU-onkyoTXSR607.zip (2.4 KB, 0 views)
post #742 of 4039 Old 03-18-2010, 11:49 PM

Quote:

Did you resize your desktop to 0% Overscan on the Scaling Options tab in CCC?

OTH you could override your TV with just the EDID you posted, no mod required. But you don't need it as you're connecting directly to the TV and that's certainly a standard LCD TV.

OK I did that and it was to big so I just sized it. I did a little playing around with ps3 pass audio and video to tv then out with optical. If I load the denon sammy model that was close to mine before I posted I had way more audio options thatn my reciever supports, I am hoping if this is a way to combine my plasma inf with a reciever mod that will pass dts dts 5.1 and all varitions this reciever supports then I think my bitstreaming would work it did with the denon just want to clean up the modes mine dont support
post #743 of 4039 Old 03-19-2010, 04:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrennye View Post

Tulli,

Thank you for all the help you are giving everyone here!

I just setup my HTPC last week, which has an ATI 5750, only to discover that I can't hear our of my surround speakers (5.1) - only the center and fronts - when playing BluRay and DVD. The Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-UD2H motherboard also has a RealTek audio chip, but my default has been set to the ATI and 5.1 via Windows Sound Config.

Note that I can hear surround when listening to a Tivo HD program such as American Idol. Tivo HD is connected to the Onkyo via HDMI, as is my HTPC, and both connect to the Sharp with one HDMI cable.

I have tried installing/uninstalling/configuring PowerDVD10, TotalMedia Theatre 3, Corel WinDVD 2010 - none of them would output the surround. And for example, I'm missing that 3rd option on PowerDVD.

Researching all this online is what lead me to avsforum and your thread.

I'm hoping you can spare the time to help me.

I did run MonInfo to produce the two files (one was created with the HTPC direct to the Sharp, and the other was the Onkyo to the Sharp - per the instructions).

But I feel stupid - once you create a mod, I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do with it. Do I right-click it and then select "install"? And that should magically get my BluRay 5.1 working? Or is there something else I'm missing?

If I can get this to work, maybe I'll add the two extra speakers for 7.1.

Thanks again for your help!!

How can we help you!?

Your ONKYO EDID does not have TrueHD or DTS HD flaws in their descriptors so you don't need an EDID override to bitstream.

Try disabling the Realtek ALC889A HD audio in the BIOS.

post #744 of 4039 Old 03-19-2010, 04:52 PM

Quote:

Your ONKYO EDID does not have TrueHD or DTS HD flaws in their descriptors so you don't need an EDID override to bitstream.

Try disabling the Realtek ALC889A HD audio in the BIOS.

Hi Tulli,

I actually tried that in the past, and again tonight - and after a reboot, when I try to run PowerDVD10 or WinDVD2010, they both immediately crash. Errors below.

However if I re-enable the internal card, they don't crash, but I don't get 5.1

Any suggestions would be awesome!

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: PowerDVD10.exe
Application Version: 10.0.1515.0
Application Timestamp: 4b9e2c4e
Fault Module Name: RTLCPAPI.dll
Fault Module Version: 1.0.2.4
Fault Module Timestamp: 49f5896f
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 00007a07
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 0a9e
Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3: 0a9e
Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Read our privacy statement online:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?link...8&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\\Windows\\system32\\en-US\\erofflps.txt

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: WinDVD.exe
Application Version: 10.0.5.291
Application Timestamp: 4b618f61
Fault Module Name: RTLCPAPI.dll
Fault Module Version: 1.0.2.4
Fault Module Timestamp: 49f5896f
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 00007a07
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 0a9e
Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3: 0a9e
Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Read our privacy statement online:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?link...8&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\\Windows\\system32\\en-US\\erofflps.txt
post #745 of 4039 Old 03-19-2010, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Thats a Realtek dll crashing. What I suggest is:

1. Uninstall the onboard Realtek drivers (and Realtek HDMI audio driver if present). Reboot.

2. Disable the Realtek onboard audio in the BIOS.

3. Uninstall/reinstall of ATI driver (10.2). A cleanup with Drivercleaner or Driversweeper is recommended (add the Realtek to the cleanup)

4. Set the ATI HDMI audio driver accordingly (5.1 or 7.1, etc.).

post #746 of 4039 Old 03-20-2010, 07:07 AM

I'm stumped trying to get DTS-MA and TrueHD working on my setup so I'm hoping that someone can tell me where the problem is.

My setup:

Toshiba 46XF550U
Denon 2808CI (I've checked that it's set to "AMP")
Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H motherboard
PowerColor AX5450 512MK3-SH card
Win 7 Professional 32 bit
WMC with MyMovies
TMT3 170 (I've tried both the standalone player and WMC plugin)
Catalyst 10.2

When using my onboard HD3200 graphics, everything works as expected with DTS-MA tracks being seen by my receiver as DTS and TrueHD tracks as DD. However, when I install the 5450 card, non-HD tracks are fine but if I try to play an HD track, I get no sound and my receiver says the input is Stereo. Sometimes I get a brief burst of static before the sound cuts out.

My receiver has no problem detecting HD audio from my standalone Blu-ray player and I've been playing regular DVDs through my HTPC for a long time without any problems. The new components are the 5450 card, TMT 3 and the latest released version of CCC (10.2). I've read that I need the EDID override in order to receive TrueHD so I'm primarily trying to get DTS-MA working first.

I have TMT3 audio set to HDMI and Primary. If I set it to PCM, I can get multi-channel sound through my receiver but it's not DTS-MA or TrueHD.

I've checked that I really am using the ATI audio driver (version 7.11.0.7703, 21/01/2010) and have configured the playback device for 5.1 sound. I rebuilt my HTPC at the end of last year and installed CCC 9.12 at that time. I never installed the Realtek-branded audio drivers and I upgraded to CCC 10.2 a day before installing TMT 3 and the 5450 card.

I suspect it's one of two things - either I have some sort of misconfiguration in my audio driver or I need the EDID override even to get DTS-MA. However, from what I've read in this thread and others, it seems like I should be able to receive DTS-MA without the EDID override so I'm leaning towards it being a driver configuration problem.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem is? I've read several threads looking for a solution but so far I haven't found one. Thanks for any help you can offer!
post #747 of 4039 Old 03-20-2010, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Again, as with darrennye above, uninstall (and cleanup driver traces for) current audio drivers and disable the onboard audio in the bios.

I have my 5770 working fine with a secondary audio card that I use for music, but it seems 5xxx audio won't work well if another onboard Realtek audio adapter is present. At least, thar's what I've seen reported so far.

So make your 5450 HDMI your only audio device and test DTS HD. When that works then install the EDID override that better suits your setup.

post #748 of 4039 Old 03-20-2010, 10:11 AM

Thanks for the reply.

As you suggested, I disabled the onboard audio in the BIOS, uninstalled/reinstalled CCC several times, and used DriverSweeper to remove all traces of the ATI and Realtek drivers (no Realtek drivers found BTW). Configured the audio to 5.1 and 24bit/192K. Same result - DTS-MA and TrueHD don't work.

The sound device is listed as "ATI HDMI Output 2" which makes me wonder if there are still traces of the original driver for the onboard audio around. Not sure of how to confirm that and remove any other ATI audio drivers if necessary.

One other symptom I have is that the video stutters badly in TMT3 which I'm sure is related to the audio problem. If I set TMT3 to PCM audio then the video stuttering goes away and I have multi channel audio. Also, if I select a non-HD audio track while the movie is playing, everything works fine - at least until I switch back to the DTS-MA track.

I suppose there's a remote possibility I have a bad 5450 which I can test when I receive my other 5450 card next week. However, I'm still thinking it's a driver-related issue.

As a last resort I can do a fresh Windows install but I'd like to avoid that if possible. This problem should be fixable without going to those lengths.

When I do finally work through this problem and find out I need the EDID override for TrueHD, I should use the "Samsung LN-S4095D - Denon AVR988" override for my setup, correct?
post #749 of 4039 Old 03-20-2010, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Yes. But if you have video issues just post the Toshiba EDID and I'll mod it for the 2808.

post #750 of 4039 Old 03-20-2010, 10:51 AM

Just a quick update - I decided to go ahead and install the EDID override and now both DTS-MA and TrueHD decoding are working. Yay! I'm not sure why I needed the EDID override to get DTS-MA working but I'm happy it works now.

Since I've made so many changes to my system today, what I'm going to do now is restore it from last night's backup and then just apply the EDID override and see what happens. I'll report back later.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page