EDID Overrides to solve bitstreaming issues for ATI 5xxx's - Page 28 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #811 of 4009 Old 03-24-2010, 04:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 80
OK, so it's a driver glitch, not an EDID issue. Maybe .xml profiles/hotkeys can help you there. Look in the ATI 5000 official thread (or the problems thread) for Andy o posts on the subject.

EDID Overrides (capture, install/uninstall, troubleshooting)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 4009 Old 03-24-2010, 12:59 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulli View Post

What about a HDCP issue? Do you use AnyDVDHD? Do you want to try the "crazy" alternative of a longer HDMI cable?

Tulli,
After a 5 hour battle last night I was able to resolve my bitstreaming issue to my Onkyo HT-R670. It was not a HDCP issue after all or corrupt driver. The resolution came when I did the EDID override listed in post #784. It WORKED!! and I can now stream both DTS-HD and True-HD. Whatever you did worked. We originally thought the the EDIDs listed in #597 we're not the problem but what ever you did worked so my deepest thanks are to you. Additionally, as soon as I did your EDID over-ride the 192kHz sample rate appeared in the properties tab under support formats for the ATI HMDI Audio controller. Hallelujah!
post #813 of 4009 Old 03-24-2010, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

If that fixed it it means that ALL higher sample rates (192,176.4,96 and 88.2) must be enabled.

The Onkyo HT-670 TrueHD descriptor had 176.4Khz and 88.2Khz disabled. This is not a flaw IMO, strictly speaking, but the ATI driver is not parsing it succesfully.

Will edit 1st post now as these are new specific elements for understanding the problem.

Thx and glad you finally have it working.

post #814 of 4009 Old 03-24-2010, 01:53 PM

Hi tulli,

could I ask a favour? Could you do a mod for the panasonic Th-42px70b and denon 2309 but with all ranges open on the 2309 if possible ?

I am only asking as I want to see if that fixes my issues? For some unknown reason the last mod was good for tmt3 but not powerdvd.

Cheers(sorry for the inconvience) if you want if you explain how to do the mods I can happily start creating them along with you?

Cheers phil
post #815 of 4009 Old 03-24-2010, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbathuk View Post
Hi tulli,

could I ask a favour? Could you do a mod for the panasonic Th-42px70b and denon 2309 but with all ranges open on the 2309 if possible ?

I am only asking as I want to see if that fixes my issues? For some unknown reason the last mod was good for tmt3 but not powerdvd.

Cheers(sorry for the inconvience) if you want if you explain how to do the mods I can happily start creating them along with you?

Cheers phil
As a matter of fact I started writing it up a while ago but it got too long or complicated. Right now, it's harder for me to explain it than to do a couple of mods once in a while.

Maybe the best way would be to review the EDID format, then use Extron EDID manager to check EDIDs and then use vladd's EDID editor (look for a link in this thread or elsewhere to download it) to edit the EDID. You could start with your own EDIDs, comparing the originals and the modded ones. And of course, I'm here to answer any questions.

Anyway, here's your mod.

Panasonic TH-42PX70B - DENON 2309.zip 1.23046875k . file
Attached Files
File Type: zip Panasonic TH-42PX70B - DENON 2309.zip (1.2 KB, 0 views)

post #816 of 4009 Old 03-24-2010, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbathuk View Post

...For some unknown reason the last mod was good for tmt3 but not powerdvd...

Is PowerDVD just not showing the third audio option? I only ask because in my posts, I had a similar issue. I've been going back and forth with CyberLink, however, I accidentally discovered the "problem."

When I boot and go into PDVD the HD streaming third option is not there. It only appears AFTER I insert an actual BD and start playing it. Once it "sees" this and enables the third option, I can stream HD audio from BDs, mounted ISOs and media files, all with HD audio like DTS-HD and TrueHD.

TMT3 does not do this, so I've asked CyberLink if PDVD is supposed to behave this way as it's very inconvenient and makes no sense to me.
post #817 of 4009 Old 03-25-2010, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chumbo View Post

Is PowerDVD just not showing the third audio option? I only ask because in my posts, I had a similar issue. I've been going back and forth with CyberLink, however, I accidentally discovered the "problem."

When I boot and go into PDVD the HD streaming third option is not there. It only appears AFTER I insert an actual BD and start playing it. Once it "sees" this and enables the third option, I can stream HD audio from BDs, mounted ISOs and media files, all with HD audio like DTS-HD and TrueHD.

TMT3 does not do this, so I've asked CyberLink if PDVD is supposed to behave this way as it's very inconvenient and makes no sense to me.

Well I would like to say a massive Thank you to all on this thread. Finally got it working.
Steps to fix for myself.

install cataylst 10.3 (just released drivers) - reboot
install realtek HDMI drivers - reboot
install EDID mod - reboot
Start PowerDVD 10, start a blu-ray and wait for it to play the movie, then go into settings and change the the audio option (3rd option is now there and can be selected) - even between blu-rays it "sticks" so I don't have to repeat the fix each time.

Cheers all.

So happy now
post #818 of 4009 Old 03-25-2010, 11:54 AM

Quote:

If that fixed it it means that ALL higher sample rates (192,176.4,96 and 88.2) must be enabled.

The Onkyo HT-670 TrueHD descriptor had 176.4Khz and 88.2Khz disabled. This is not a flaw IMO, strictly speaking, but the ATI driver is not parsing it succesfully.

Will edit 1st post now as these are new specific elements for understanding the problem.

Thx and glad you finally have it working.

Tulli,
Just an FYI - After confirming the EDID over-ride worked I reinstalled the OS (figured after 15 CCC installs and uninstalls, it would be a good idea) to have a good clean base to start from. To my astonishment, I installed 10.2 and the bitstreaming continued to work even without the EDID over-ride. So, I really don't have an explanation for that but I'm glad it's still working. Figured you should know since you're the leading authority on these matters. Thanks again!
post #819 of 4009 Old 03-25-2010, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kliving View Post

Tulli,
Just an FYI - After confirming the EDID over-ride worked I reinstalled the OS (figured after 15 CCC installs and uninstalls, it would be a good idea) to have a good clean base to start from. To my astonishment, I installed 10.2 and the bitstreaming continued to work even without the EDID over-ride. So, I really don't have an explanation for that but I'm glad it's still working. Figured you should know since you're the leading authority on these matters. Thanks again!

Ok, so it was fine then after all! Thanks for the clarification.

post #820 of 4009 Old 03-25-2010, 06:44 PM

Hopefully that link worked
post #821 of 4009 Old 03-25-2010, 11:00 PM
dfn

I'm in a position where I've followed this guide, but I have no TrueHD or DTS-HD MA bitstreaming in MPC HC/ffdshow.
I also have no TrueHD bitstreaming in TMT3, but do have DTS-HD MA bitstreaming working there. My receiver is a
Denon 890, and my TV is a Samsung PN63B650. Should I go ahead and install one of the EDID overrides in the first
post? Or is there something else I should try first?. I'd appreciate any advice.

EDIT: I installed this override: Samsung PN58A650 - DENON 3808 Samsung Plasma TV + DENON AVR
I now have:
DTS-HD MA bitstreaming in TMT3 (had this working before)
TrueHD bitstreaming in TMT3 (did NOT have this working before)
TrueHD bitstreaming in MPC HC/ffdshow (did NOT have this working before)
DTS-HD MA bitstreaming NOT working in MPC HC/ffdshow (same as before)

Thanks for the overrides and tool, it helped get me 3/4 there!
post #822 of 4009 Old 03-26-2010, 05:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

For MPC-HC/ffdshow make sure to use latest versions available at www.xvidvideo.ru. FWIW ffdshow build 3318 works great for me.

post #823 of 4009 Old 03-26-2010, 06:52 AM

Dear Tulli,

Thank you for your good thread.
I am from China, my english is poor. I will try to make my question clear to read, and I hope you can read it with your patience. Thank you.

My monitor is Hanns.G HG281D, my AVR is Samsung R720, and I use HD5750 in WIN7 X64.
I used Moninfo, then I notice that my R720 AVR 's EDID revision is 1.3 in [Real time ...]. So I guess it's not have 256-byte EDIDs.

Now I have 8 channl and DTS/DD and 32/44.1/48/88.2/96kHZ.
I want to know, if I still can have TrueHD/DTS HDMA and have 176.4/192kHZ by use EDID which you patched?

Thank you again!

Attachment 171234

HG281D&R720.zip 9.0732421875k . file
Attached Files
File Type: zip HG281D&R720.zip (9.1 KB, 1 views)
post #824 of 4009 Old 03-26-2010, 08:07 AM

Liked: 12
How do I bitstream regular stereo and 5.1 DVD? With 8.69 driver for my Radeon 5670 and the EDID override I get DTS-MA and Dolby True-HD on blu-ray, but only PCM stereo for DVD, and I have to switch my speaker configuration to 2 speaker stereo for music files in order to use Dolby Pro-Logic 2 etc. If I leave it on 7.1, my receiver shows 7.1 multichannel in - but I only get sound from the main speakers. 5.1 DVD does not give me 5 channels on any setting, so the only way to get surround sound with those is to also set the speaker configuration to Stereo, and use Dolby Pro-Logic 2 on the Denon. If I install the ATI 10.3 software, or just the 10.3 High Definition Audio Controller - I can only select Stereo in the speaker configuration utility, and I get only hiss from Blu-Ray Hi-Def sources. If I uninstall the High Definition Audio Controller altogether - I get perfect sound on Music sources, and can select Dolby Pro-Logic II. So, 8.69 Redwood driver = Blu-Ray works, but no 5.1 on DVD, and I have to switch to 2-speaker Stereo in the configuration utility in order to use Dolby Pro-Logic II. 10.3 - I can only select Stereo and no Hi-Def sound on Blu-Ray. I believe I noticed at some point a list of info stating that I did not have an HDCP setup - perhaps that is why the 10.3 driver is only letting me get stereo over HDMI? I have an Epson 8500 UB, so I don't understand this either. Is anyone else able to bitstream on standard 5.1 DVD?
post #825 of 4009 Old 03-26-2010, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuhao3503 View Post

Dear Tulli,

Thank you for your good thread.
I am from China, my english is poor. I will try to make my question clear to read, and I hope you can read it with your patience. Thank you.

My monitor is Hanns.G HG281D, my AVR is Samsung R720, and I use HD5750 in WIN7 X64.
I used Moninfo, then I notice that my R720 AVR 's EDID revision is 1.3 in [Real time ...]. So I guess it's not have 256-byte EDIDs.

Now I have 8 channl and DTS/DD and 32/44.1/48/88.2/96kHZ.
I want to know, if I still can have TrueHD/DTS HDMA and have 176.4/192kHZ by use EDID which you patched?

Thank you again!

Attachment 171234

Hi fuhao3503.

Your Samsung R720 has three different audio descriptors.
  1. An 8-channel LPCM descriptor:

2. An 8-channel AC-3 descriptor:

3. And an 8-channel DTS descriptor:

Obviously, plain AC-3 and DTS will only accept up to 48kHz. But your AVR will only take up to 96Khz 8-channel LPCM. That's a limitation of the AVR itself that cannot be "overriden" in any way by an EDID mod.

What you can do of course is have TrueHD and DTS HD decoded to 96Hkz 8-channel LPCM by PDVD10 or TMT3 .170 (+ Reclock if you like, with 48khz/24-bit downcoverted to 16-bit). MPC-HC/ffdshow can't decode DTS HD MA, only the DTS core (48kHz/16-bit).
LL
LL
LL

post #826 of 4009 Old 03-26-2010, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by moooog View Post

How do I bitstream regular stereo and 5.1 DVD? With 8.69 driver for my Radeon 5670 and the EDID override I get DTS-MA and Dolby True-HD on blu-ray, but only PCM stereo for everything else - so I only get sound from 2 channels unless I select one of my Denon's DSP modes like 7-channel stereo - and I have lots of trouble with static cropping up on WMA's, movie trailers etc. If I install the ATI 10.3 software, or just the 10.3 High Definition Audio Controller - I can only select Stereo in the speaker configuration utility, and I get only hiss from Blu-Ray Hi-Def sources. If I uninstall the High Definition Audio Controller altogether - I get perfect sound on Music sources, and can select Dolby Pro-Logic II. So, 8.69 Redwood driver = Blu-Ray works but I can't bitstream DVD or Stereo. 10.3 - I can only select Stereo and no Hi-Def sound on Blu-Ray. I hate to have to disable the ATI High Definition Controller in the device manager every time I want to listen to music. I believe I noticed at some point a list of info stating that I did not have an HDCP setup - perhaps that is why the 10.3 driver is only letting me get stereo over HDMI? I have an Epson 8500 UB, so I don't understand this either.

If you can already bitstream HD codecs then you don't have an HDCP issue.

You should do a thorough cleanup of the ATI and Realtek drivers (Drivercleaner or Driversweeper). Then install 10.3 and verify that you can set it up to 5.1 or 7.1.

If you still can only get 2 channels then there's still an issue with the driver installation that needs to be fixed, maybe by even doing a complete system reinstall.

If you can set it succesfully to multichannel then test DTS HD without an EDID override. It should work. Then test for multichannel DD and DTS. If it stll doesn't work then it's a software player issue.

After sorting out these issues, install the EDID override and test for bitstreaimg of TrueHD.

post #827 of 4009 Old 03-26-2010, 09:09 AM

Quote:

Hi fuhao3503.

What you can do of course is have TrueHD and DTS HD decoded to 96Hkz 8-channel LPCM by PDVD10 or TMT3 .170 (+ Reclock if you like, with 48khz/24-bit downcoverted to 16-bit). MPC-HC/ffdshow can't decode DTS HD MA, only the DTS core (48kHz/16-bit).

Thank you for your reply.
I already installed PD10 &TMT3.170.
So should I to buy an AVR which can support TrueHD and DTS HD, then I can have TrueHD/DTS HDMA and have 176.4/192kHZ?
post #828 of 4009 Old 03-26-2010, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Thank you for your reply.
I already installed PD10 &TMT3.170.
So should I to buy an AVR which can support TrueHD and DTS HD, then I can have TrueHD/DTS HDMA and have 176.4/192kHZ?

Yes. And if you don't want to need having to deal with EDID overrides don't buy a DENON or SONY AVR!

post #829 of 4009 Old 03-26-2010, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Yes. And if you don't want to need having to deal with EDID overrides don't buy a DENON or SONY AVR!

What's that, Tulli, buy a Pioneer Elite? Excellent advice.
post #830 of 4009 Old 03-26-2010, 10:45 AM

Hi Tulli,

first thanks a lot for the great Thread!

I have a Sony KDL 40 S4000 LCD-TV and a Denon AVR 2310. I already installed the newest driver for my ATI Radeon HD5450 and the EDID-Override. After installing the EDID-Override it's now possible to get the 3rd audio-output option in PowerDVD. Nevertheless my Denon-receiver doesn't play Dolby True HD, he only play Dolby Digital instead of Dolby True HD.

I have tried everything and read the whole thread but I don't have a clue what the problem is like.

It would be very grateful if you could help me.

best regards
Pierre
post #831 of 4009 Old 03-26-2010, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spriti1987 View Post

Hi Tulli,

first thanks a lot for the great Thread!

I have a Sony KDL 40 S4000 LCD-TV and a Denon AVR 2310. I already installed the newest driver for my ATI Radeon HD5450 and the EDID-Override. After installing the EDID-Override it's now possible to get the 3rd audio-output option in PowerDVD. Nevertheless my Denon-receiver doesn't play Dolby True HD, he only play Dolby Digital instead of Dolby True HD.

I have tried everything and read the whole thread but I don't have a clue what the problem is like.

It would be very grateful if you could help me.

best regards
Pierre

Are your sure you're playing the TrueHD track? Maybe the the DD track is the default and you have to manually switch to the TrueHD track.

post #832 of 4009 Old 03-26-2010, 01:18 PM
dfn

Quote:

For MPC-HC/ffdshow make sure to use latest versions available at www.xvidvideo.ru. FWIW ffdshow build 3318 works great for me.

3326 is the one I was using. Didn't work.
I tried 3334, and it didn't work either.
Then I went to your version (3318), and it does not work as well.
No idea what to do next...
post #833 of 4009 Old 03-26-2010, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

What kind of files are you playing back on MPC-HC? Can you bitstream when playing back from a BD disc? For .MKV files make sure to uninstall Haali Media Splitter.

post #834 of 4009 Old 03-26-2010, 01:35 PM
dfn

The files that I'm playing through MPC-HC are ts and m2ts. Have not found suitable mkv files with TrueHD or DTS-HD to test with yet.

I can bitstream TrueHD and DTS-HD MA when playing Blu Ray discs, or mounted ISOs, in TMT3.

I do not have Haali installed and I've never had it installed previously.
post #835 of 4009 Old 03-26-2010, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Have you blocked Win7 native HD audio decoders?

LL

post #836 of 4009 Old 03-26-2010, 03:03 PM
dfn

I have ffdshow Audio Decoder on prefer, and Microsoft DTV-DVD Audio Decoder on block.
post #837 of 4009 Old 03-26-2010, 07:24 PM

Quote:

What kind of files are you playing back on MPC-HC? Can you bitstream when playing back from a BD disc? For .MKV files make sure to uninstall Haali Media Splitter.

What is the issue with Haali? I currently have Haali installed with the following configuration and everything seems to be working fine. Bit-streaming is working for DTS-HD MA and Dolby TrueHD through both MPC-HC and JRiver Media Center 15.

ATI HD5450 (Catalyst 10.3)
Denon AVR-988
Sony KDS-55A2000
Sony KDS-R70XBR2 - DENON AVR-2310Ci EDID override

My only issue is I haven't found a way to re-size the desktop to 1840x1044 to fix the TV's underscan on the ATI card like I could with my Nvidia 8400GS.

-John
post #838 of 4009 Old 03-26-2010, 08:47 PM

Quote:

I find a "Onkyo TX-NR906" inf and install it.
Attachment 171295 Onkyo_monitor

Then I can see the sound panel has TrueHD/DTS HDMA and have 176.4/192kHZ.
But the inf can only highest support 1920x1080i at 60Hz (16:9), not my HG281D support 1920x1200P at 60Hz (16:10), so the moniter's screen was changed.

Now I want to know, if I could combine the Onkyo and Samsung inf together?

And what is the use for Raw data at last? Does it include the setup for the AVR/monitor?If it is useful, how to edit it?

Thank you!

Onkyo_monitor.zip 1.18359375k . file
Attached Files
File Type: zip Onkyo_monitor.zip (1.2 KB, 0 views)
post #839 of 4009 Old 03-26-2010, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeterfood View Post

What is the issue with Haali? I currently have Haali installed with the following configuration and everything seems to be working fine. Bit-streaming is working for DTS-HD MA and Dolby TrueHD through both MPC-HC and JRiver Media Center 15.

ATI HD5450 (Catalyst 10.3)
Denon AVR-988
Sony KDS-55A2000
Sony KDS-R70XBR2 - DENON AVR-2310Ci EDID override

My only issue is I haven't found a way to re-size the desktop to 1840x1044 to fix the TV's underscan on the ATI card like I could with my Nvidia 8400GS.

-John

It's just a recommendation for a clean setup for testing bitstreaming first time.

Are you fully bitstreaming TrueHD & DTS HD with Haali? Which version?

EDIT:

BTW, there's no "JRiver Media Center 15", version 14 is the last one.

post #840 of 4009 Old 03-26-2010, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I find a "Onkyo TX-NR906" inf and install it.
Attachment 171295 Onkyo_monitor

Then I can see the sound panel has TrueHD/DTS HDMA and have 176.4/192kHZ.
But the inf can only highest support 1920x1080i at 60Hz (16:9), not my HG281D support 1920x1200P at 60Hz (16:10), so the moniter's screen was changed.

Now I want to know, if I could combine the Onkyo and Samsung inf together?

And what is the use for Raw data at last? Does it include the setup for the AVR/monitor?If it is useful, how to edit it?

Thank you!

Yes but your AVR will only take plain DD/DTS (48khz/16bits) and LPCM up to 96Khz, regardless of the info window in the sound panel.

Like I said before, EDID overrides won't give you anything better than what your Samsung AVR can process.

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page