EDID Overrides to solve bitstreaming issues for ATI 5xxx's - Page 40 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #1171 of 4039 Old 05-03-2010, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Not sure about the TMT3/bitstreaming problem. Could be a TMT3 issue. Does it happen in every case? Do you have any other player that you cant try to discard TMT3 as the problem (MPC-HC, PDVD10, WinDVD2010 ...)?

The handshaking problem may be fixed with an EDID override (actually, I still have to use mine to not lose connection when switching inputs on my DENON).

Post/attach both full 256-byte EDIDs of the Runco & the Anthem and I'll make a custom EDID for both. See section 3 in first post for capturing and section 2 for installing the override.

Also, I would recommend an upgrade to Windows7 as it works best with these cards (maybe this would be enough to fix your issues).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(capture, install/uninstall, troubleshooting)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 4039 Old 05-03-2010, 11:07 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Hi...

I only have TMT3 so sorry to say no help their. If I select the option for bitstream the D2V just dose not seem to care. Note...At one point the driver for the HD Audio did not get auto updated by the install. It had the old ATI drivers in it from a 4670 card. When it was like that, I got what sound like the digital autio stream itself out of the speakers (Digital noise). I then removed the ATI Real Tech drivers and reloaded the ATI install again, this time the new current drivers installed, yet now no direct bitstream. Switching to PCM works like a champ. (Not sure if matters if the software/card does the decoding and send it or if the processor in the D2V does. It is just decoding the steam after all.)

In any case, attached is my zip to see if we can help either issue.

Take care and thank you.

BOTT-D2V-VX22DC.zip 2.3955078125k . file
Attached Files
File Type: zip BOTT-D2V-VX22DC.zip (2.4 KB, 0 views)

David Bott
Founder - AVSForum

DISCLAIMER: All spelling and grammatical errors done on purpose for the proofreadingly challenged...:)

post #1173 of 4039 Old 05-03-2010, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Bott View Post
Hi...

I only have TMT3 so sorry to say no help their. If I select the option for bitstream the D2V just dose not seem to care. Note...At one point the driver for the HD Audio did not get auto updated by the install. It had the old ATI drivers in it from a 4670 card. When it was like that, I got what sound like the digital autio stream itself out of the speakers (Digital noise). I then removed the ATI Real Tech drivers and reloaded the ATI install again, this time the new current drivers installed, yet now no direct bitstream. Switching to PCM works like a champ. (Not sure if matters if the software/card does the decoding and send it or if the processor in the D2V does. It is just decoding the steam after all.)

In any case, attached is my zip to see if we can help either issue.

Take care and thank you.
Looks like maybe a clean driver reinstall would help.

Here's your mod anyway ...

Runco VX22DC - ANTHEM D2V.zip 1.23046875k . file
Attached Files
File Type: zip Runco VX22DC - ANTHEM D2V.zip (1.2 KB, 0 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #1174 of 4039 Old 05-03-2010, 01:41 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulli View Post

Looks like maybe a clean driver reinstall would help.

Here's your mod anyway ...

What would be the best way to do a clean driver install? I ask for their is no real way to remove the drivers for the sounds part other than just remove the device from the system in the Device Manger.

The ATI drivers for the audio are listed to be from March 2010.

Thanks for the files. Now to see if they will help me.

David Bott
Founder - AVSForum

DISCLAIMER: All spelling and grammatical errors done on purpose for the proofreadingly challenged...:)

post #1175 of 4039 Old 05-03-2010, 02:01 PM
AVS Club Gold

Followup....Installed the file you sent. no change wit heither issue. Still no audio after I turn off and then back on the D2V. System shows the sound card as not plugged in.

David Bott
Founder - AVSForum

post #1176 of 4039 Old 05-03-2010, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Try stopping and then disabling the "AMD External Events Utility" service. It might also be called the "ATI External Events Monitor" or something like that.
post #1177 of 4039 Old 05-03-2010, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

What would be the best way to do a clean driver install? I ask for their is no real way to remove the drivers for the sounds part other than just remove the device from the system in the Device Manger.

The ATI drivers for the audio are listed to be from March 2010.

Thanks for the files. Now to see if they will help me.

Drivercleaner or Driversweeper should do it. It really looks like a messed-up driver installation to me.

post #1178 of 4039 Old 05-03-2010, 02:22 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:

Followup....Installed the file you sent. no change wit heither issue. Still no audio after I turn off and then back on the D2V. System shows the sound card as not plugged in.

I had similar problems, but with a Denon AVP-A1HDCI instead of the Anthem. The Gefen HDMI Detective Plus is an excellent solution to the problem. You teach it the EDID from your Anthem / TV combo and it fakes the computer into thinking the Anthem / TV are always on. Assuming that's your only issue, you wouldn't need an EDID override - those who have other audio / video issues might still need to install an override.
post #1179 of 4039 Old 05-03-2010, 02:28 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladd View Post

Try stopping and then disabling the "AMD External Events Utility" service. It might also be called the "ATI External Events Monitor" or something like that.

Thanks, Any guidance on where I look for and disable it?

I just removed the drivers and reinstalled. Same thing. I know the drivers is passing right info to TMT3 as if I uncheck the options that my receiver can do Dolby and DTS the options disappear from TMT3 audio section and the only thing that shows is PCM. If they are checked, I get the options for original primary audio DTS Mixing, Dolby Mixing, and PCM Mixing. But for some reason, original primary audio is sending nothing out. (D2v reports NO AUDIO) TMT3 reports DTS or Dolby Master Bitstreams depending on what I am trying at the time.

Augh!

David Bott
Founder - AVSForum

post #1180 of 4039 Old 05-03-2010, 02:40 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:

Thanks, Any guidance on where I look for and disable it?

I just removed the drivers and reinstalled. Same thing. I know the drivers is passing right info to TMT3 as if I uncheck the options that my receiver can do Dolby and DTS the options disappear from TMT3 audio section and the only thing that shows is PCM. If they are checked, I get the options for original primary audio DTS Mixing, Dolby Mixing, and PCM Mixing. But for some reason, original primary audio is sending nothing out. (D2v reports NO AUDIO) TMT3 reports DTS or Dolby Master Bitstreams depending on what I am trying at the time.

Augh!

Which OS are you running again? In Windows 7, it's in Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services (or just search for services in your start menu). You should see one called "AMD External Events Utility" if you're using a recent Catalyst Control Center - substitute ATI for AMD in the name if using an older version.
post #1181 of 4039 Old 05-03-2010, 02:44 PM
AVS Club Gold

Running Vista 64 so I think it is the same. I will look to for it. Thanks.

David Bott
Founder - AVSForum

post #1182 of 4039 Old 05-03-2010, 04:15 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This issue is since 10.4?

"The purpose of diplomacy is to prolong a crisis." Spock, Mark of Gideon, TOS
post #1183 of 4039 Old 05-03-2010, 04:51 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davinleeds View Post

This issue is since 10.4?

Hi...

Sorry I did not mention this is a new card to me, thus 10.4 is the only driver I have used with this card.

David Bott
Founder - AVSForum

post #1184 of 4039 Old 05-03-2010, 05:26 PM
AVS Club Gold

There have been a few reports of 10.4 causing problems with TMT and a few where it's fine. I have held back as 10.2 is working perfectly well for me.

Either way, if not done already, disabling on board audio is prudent.
Under playback devices, check that default is set correctly, configure has been done and under properties you at minimum set 24/48 bitsample/bitrate. As you have pcm playback this my be fine.

I personally would install 10.2 and if need be reinstall TMT.

post #1185 of 4039 Old 05-03-2010, 06:07 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Either way, if not done already, disabling on board audio is prudent.

Hi...

I have disabled it under the SOUND area of the control panel. Did you mean in the BIOS?

I also just downloaded 10.2 and will have to give that a try just for kicks tomorrow.

David Bott
Founder - AVSForum

post #1186 of 4039 Old 05-03-2010, 06:54 PM
AVS Club Gold

Usually control panel is enough.

post #1187 of 4039 Old 05-04-2010, 10:26 AM
AVS Club Gold

Well, I have tried all the ideas and nothing helped I am sorry to report.

I can get full 7.1 HD audio if I have the TMT3 software mix it. But can not get anything via bitstream. The DV2 just says "No Audio".

I still need to reboot the HTPC each time I power up for it drops the sound card and says it is not connected. Even after turning off "AMD External Events Utility".

I have tried 10.2 and 10.4. Even 10.2 give me issues where it told me no ATI drivers were installed after installing it. Even after wiping all drivers, and reinstalling 10.2, it would would give me the same error on reboot when the manager tried to load. I then installed 10.4, and it worked again, but still the same issues.

I guess I could to a fresh install of Vista and do it all from scratch, but what time consuming thing. You never know, but I am guessing I will be right back to where I was but with a fresh install an a lot of time out the door. (Not that I have not already put time into this.)

I could live with the PCM Mixing as decoding is decoding, but this need to reboot each time is just not welcome.

Thanks all.

David Bott
Founder - AVSForum

post #1188 of 4039 Old 05-04-2010, 11:11 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:

Well, I have tried all the ideas and nothing helped I am sorry to report.

I can get full 7.1 HD audio if I have the TMT3 software mix it. But can not get anything via bitstream. The DV2 just says "No Audio".

I still need to reboot the HTPC each time I power up for it drops the sound card and says it is not connected. Even after turning off "AMD External Events Utility".

I have tried 10.2 and 10.4. Even 10.2 give me issues where it told me no ATI drivers were installed after installing it. Even after wiping all drivers, and reinstalling 10.2, it would would give me the same error on reboot when the manager tried to load. I then installed 10.4, and it worked again, but still the same issues.

I guess I could to a fresh install of Vista and do it all from scratch, but what time consuming thing. You never know, but I am guessing I will be right back to where I was but with a fresh install an a lot of time out the door. (Not that I have not already put time into this.)

I could live with the PCM Mixing as decoding is decoding, but this need to reboot each time is just not welcome.

2 suggestions:

1) Get yourself a Gefen HDMI detective - it will save you from having to reboot the PC each time you turn your processor off. It's well worth the relatively modest investment (especially when you consider how much time you've put into trying to get this to work so far).

2) Upgrade to Windows 7. I suspect you'll have better luck getting everyone to place nice by doing so. While I never did jump on the popular "Vista sucks" bandwagon (I still have it on 1 of my PC's and have no real complaints), Windows 7 is without a doubt the better OS.
post #1189 of 4039 Old 05-04-2010, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

+1 on the Windows 7 upgrade. I've only seen "a couple" of succesful Vista installations with these ATI cards/drivers.

The Gefen is fine, but might not be needed (a ~$100 saving!). If there really were an EDID issue, which does not seems to be the case after all, an EDID override should be the first choice (just because it's free )

post #1190 of 4039 Old 05-04-2010, 12:30 PM
AVS Club Gold

Well I guess I will give Win 7 a try. I am guessing I can just get one of the upgrade versions. Any suggestions on which version? Flavor and bit?

The main items running on it will be Media Center, MyMovies, HDHomeRun as the tuner, and TMT3.

(Also...Sorry for this is now kind of off topic.)

David Bott
Founder - AVSForum

post #1191 of 4039 Old 05-04-2010, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

David, for HTPC purpose Windows 7 Home Premium is OK. But for more info see here.

post #1192 of 4039 Old 05-04-2010, 02:19 PM
AVS Club Gold

Also check out Andy o's thread. There might be some hints there. Did you try the driver on the disk that came with the card?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1224697

Rebooting is history here. Now when I turn on the AVR, the screen flickers(desktop) and display is added and away we go.

post #1193 of 4039 Old 05-04-2010, 02:33 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:

The Gefen is fine, but might not be needed (a ~$100 saving!). If there really were an EDID issue, which does not seems to be the case after all, an EDID override should be the first choice (just because it's free )

If the Gefen can be avoided, that would be ideal. Unfortunately, in my case, I needed both a Gefen and an override. The override resolved my bitstreaming problem (Denon AVP processor), but I'd almost always lose the picture from my HTPC after switching inputs or cycling power on the surround sound processor - the Gefen completely resolved the problem. David's problem sounds rather similar to mine, but I certainly agree that it makes sense to try Windows 7 with an EDID override before buying the Gefen and hope he can save the $$$. In the end though, that extra $100 for the HDMI Detective Plus was well worth it to finally put an end to the frustration of having to reboot the PC every time I switched inputs, etc.
post #1194 of 4039 Old 05-04-2010, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

If the Gefen can be avoided, that would be ideal. Unfortunately, in my case, I needed both a Gefen and an override. The override resolved my bitstreaming problem (Denon AVP processor), but I'd almost always lose the picture from my HTPC after switching inputs or cycling power on the surround sound processor - the Gefen completely resolved the problem. David's problem sounds rather similar to mine, but I certainly agree that it makes sense to try Windows 7 with an EDID override before buying the Gefen and hope he can save the $$$. In the end though, that extra $100 for the HDMI Detective Plus was well worth it to finally put an end to the frustration of having to reboot the PC every time I switched inputs, etc.

Understood, but that's exactly what the EDID override is doing for me (i.e, no handshake timeouts when switching inputs or powering off/on components). So a general recommendation would obviously be, to first try the EDID override, and if there're still handshakes issues, like in your case, then go for a Gefen.

BTW, was the EDID override that you used custom modded (by me?) for your setup? I mean, with exact video timings of your display device in the first block? Or did you choose one from the list? Thanks. I ask because I would expect it to work without the Gefen device.

post #1195 of 4039 Old 05-04-2010, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
I agree on the Windows 7 plan. No HTPC should be without it (Windows based anyway). But I saw this posted in another thread and you might give it a try:

http://gettingoutalive.spaces.live.com/

The utility is called HdmiYo. It may fix your issue but I can't say for sure.
post #1196 of 4039 Old 05-04-2010, 06:58 PM
AVS Club Gold

I am looking to do a fresh install of Win 7 tomorrow. Oh what fun.

David Bott
Founder - AVSForum

post #1197 of 4039 Old 05-04-2010, 07:57 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:

BTW, was the EDID override that you used custom modded (by me?) for your setup? I mean, with exact video timings of your display device in the first block? Or did you choose one from the list? Thanks. I ask because I would expect it to work without the Gefen device.

It's a custom modded override from you (thanks again) - the Mitsubishi WD-65835 / Denon AVP-A1 combo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladd View Post

I agree on the Windows 7 plan. No HTPC should be without it (Windows based anyway). But I saw this posted in another thread and you might give it a try:

http://gettingoutalive.spaces.live.com/

The utility is called HdmiYo. It may fix your issue but I can't say for sure.

Yeah, I saw a reference to that a while ago and have been meaning to give it a try. But since the HDMI Detective solves the problem and I have it already, it's been low on my to-do list.
post #1198 of 4039 Old 05-05-2010, 03:22 AM

Hello guys,
I have recently buy an ONKYO TX-RS308 and a ATI Radeon HD 5450. I am runnig on Windows Seven and i use TOTALMEDIA PLAYER 3, POWER DVD 10 and MEDIA PLAYER CLASSIC. I have tried to Overrides EDID but it didn't solve my problem. I can't play DTS HD & TRUE HD on my receiver.
If you have an idea or if someone have solved this problem, please let me know.
Thanks and sorry for my english (i am french).
post #1199 of 4039 Old 05-05-2010, 03:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Install the latest Catalyst drivers (10.4), it solves the TrueHD bitstreaming problems.

HTPC : AMD Zacate E350 with XBMC 10.00 + Aeon MQ
Storage : 6TB DLink NAS
post #1200 of 4039 Old 05-05-2010, 04:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by romkilla View Post

Hello guys,
I have recently buy an ONKYO TX-RS308 and a ATI Radeon HD 5450. I am runnig on Windows Seven and i use TOTALMEDIA PLAYER 3, POWER DVD 10 and MEDIA PLAYER CLASSIC. I have tried to Overrides EDID but it didn't solve my problem. I can't play DTS HD & TRUE HD on my receiver.
If you have an idea or if someone have solved this problem, please let me know.
Thanks and sorry for my english (i am french).

What is your display device?

Anyway see that the ONKYO HDMI is set to "AMP" or something equivalent (i.e. NO passthrough or repeating of TV audio specs).

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page