EDID Overrides to solve bitstreaming issues for ATI 5xxx's - Page 50 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #1471 of 4008 Old 08-01-2010, 06:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by tusharj View Post

Tulli,
If I get the Asus HDAV and hook the it to the Onkyo-Ht-r380 and hook my non-hd monitor via dvi with any dvi video card, will that get me bitstreaming?

hptc -> dvi(video card) -> monitor (Samsung non-hd monitor) (for video)
&
hptv -> asus hdav -> onkyo (for audio)

Remember I'm the one with a non-hdtv samsung monitor so no bitstreaming for me

Thanks in advance.
Tushar.

The ASUS HDAV1.3 requires a video feed to send audio, i.e. no video in => no audio.

But ... video in could be a "dummy". What I'm not sure about it is that it will work with a non-standard (or non HDCP) HDTV video in.

BTW, could HDCP be the problem here? Is your TV HDCP compliant? Do you have AnyDVDHD installed? Or, have you tried bitstreaming with MPC-HC + ffdshow?

EDID Overrides (capture, install/uninstall, troubleshooting)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1472 of 4008 Old 08-01-2010, 07:13 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i believe the tv is hdcp compliant, nvidia has the hdcp check in their software the conformed that.
I havent tried anydvd or mpc-hc-ffdshow. will try that out in a few.

i wasnt aware that asus hdav requires video in to send audio out. I though that was just an option if users want one cable to connect the tv and the receiver.

Thanks for the advise.
post #1473 of 4008 Old 08-01-2010, 10:08 AM

Tulli,
I have the samsung 50 inch plasma, it seems to be hdcp, see link;
http://www.plasma.com/samsungplasma/ppm50m6h.htm

I dont understand then why is it that its only giving 128-byte edid.

I dont have TMT software, seems like the Asus Hdav slim is better deal since it comes with TMT.

thanks in advance.
post #1474 of 4008 Old 08-01-2010, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I dont have TMT software, seems like the Asus Hdav slim is better deal since it comes with TMT.

thanks in advance.

... if it works at all!

The bundled TMT is an OEM, different version (no Media Center plugin for instance) and cannot then be updated to the full retail version, if that matters to you (this OEM version will only bitstream over the HDAV1.3).

IMO the Gefen is the better choice (if you're not investing on a new HDTV anytime soon of course).

post #1475 of 4008 Old 08-01-2010, 11:15 AM

Tulli,

I downloaded power dvd's BD advisor, everything is green. So my samsung seems to be hdcp. So does the tv not hdmi compliant or is the tv not sending the correct edid?

Thanks
post #1476 of 4008 Old 08-01-2010, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Tulli,

I downloaded power dvd's BD advisor, everything is green. So my samsung seems to be hdcp. So does the tv not hdmi compliant or is the tv not sending the correct edid?

Thanks

Non standard HDTV resolution is the problem, definitely ...

post #1477 of 4008 Old 08-01-2010, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulli View Post

Try this EDID override. I replaced the native 1920x1200 native timings with a 1920x1080 descriptor taken from the extended block, and then merged the EDID with the Onkyo's. Let's see if it works ...

Thanks Tulli, but It didn't work . I keep getting regular 5.1 dolby or 5.1 pcm.

I'm reading tusharj posts as he seems to have the same problem I do. I tried connecting the ATI HDMI to the onkyo and the DVI out to the tv, but the HDMI audio interface won't work unless is sending video at the same time (can't send pure audio through hdmi).
Now I have only one option left: since I have 2 cards (ATI HD4200 and the HD5450) maybe there's a way to send video from the 4200 and only audio from the 5450, but I don't see that working.
I guess I'll have to give up. Thanks for your time Tulli. Hopefully some day there'll be a way.
post #1478 of 4008 Old 08-01-2010, 03:27 PM

Well, gonna return the radeon hd5670 and try the Asus Xonar Hdav 1.3 Slim. Thanks Tulli.
post #1479 of 4008 Old 08-02-2010, 12:46 AM

Hi.

I would like to bit-stream HD audio using my Sapphire 5870 Vapor-X.

I have done a bit of reading here on the AVSF forums, and quite frankly, I am overwhelmed with all the possible issues that can possibly occur and all the information one needs to know.

My main concern is the purchase of a AVR which will not allow me to bit-stream HD audio.

Currently I have the following display set up:

3 x Dell Ultrasharp 3007WFP-HC monitors (two using the DVI-D connections and one using the displayport with a StarTech active displayport adapter from my Sapphire 5870).

Currently I am using Catalyst 10.7 drivers.

What I would now like to do is purchase a AVR and have HD audio bit-streamed from the the HDMI port of my 5870.

I am thinking about purchasing an entry model Pioneer VSX-520-K with a Polk Audio RM6750 5.1 Channel Home Theatre Speaker System (there is a special on at my local comp store for this package).

My first question is:

Is that possible (to bit-stream HD audio from my HDMI port while using the other two DVI-D ports and the displayport as well)?

My second question is:

Can anyone see at first glance any issues I might have with my current setup (assuming I can bit-stream using my current setup) being paired with the Pioneer / Polk Audio package? Mostly I am wondering if I will encounter any EDID issues with this setup.

My third question is:

I was also planning on getting a second Sapphire 5870 Vapor-X to crossfire with my first one (as running 3 3007's in Eyefinity mode definitely taxes one 5870 to it's limit). Can anyone see any foreseeable problems I might encounter by adding a second card (assuming once again that I am able to maintain my current setup and bit-stream HD audio).

Any input is appreciated as well as your patience.

My apologies if this wasn't the proper thread to post these questions (I thought it would be the proper thread as I am concerned about the EDID issues).

Thank-you.
post #1480 of 4008 Old 08-02-2010, 05:08 AM

Tulli,

thank you for all of your efforts. small question.

I have panasonioc plasma 42G20ES and saw here overide for 50G15. Can I use that one for my television or maybe I can post original EDID here and someone could make me one.
post #1481 of 4008 Old 08-02-2010, 05:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryHTPCBuilder View Post

Hi.

I would like to bit-stream HD audio using my Sapphire 5870 Vapor-X.

I have done a bit of reading here on the AVSF forums, and quite frankly, I am overwhelmed with all the possible issues that can possibly occur and all the information one needs to know.

My main concern is the purchase of a AVR which will not allow me to bit-stream HD audio.

Currently I have the following display set up:

3 x Dell Ultrasharp 3007WFP-HC monitors (two using the DVI-D connections and one using the displayport with a StarTech active displayport adapter from my Sapphire 5870).

Currently I am using Catalyst 10.7 drivers.

What I would now like to do is purchase a AVR and have HD audio bit-streamed from the the HDMI port of my 5870.

I am thinking about purchasing an entry model Pioneer VSX-520-K with a Polk Audio RM6750 5.1 Channel Home Theatre Speaker System (there is a special on at my local comp store for this package).

My first question is:

Is that possible (to bit-stream HD audio from my HDMI port while using the other two DVI-D ports and the displayport as well)?

My second question is:

Can anyone see at first glance any issues I might have with my current setup (assuming I can bit-stream using my current setup) being paired with the Pioneer / Polk Audio package? Mostly I am wondering if I will encounter any EDID issues with this setup.

My third question is:

I was also planning on getting a second Sapphire 5870 Vapor-X to crossfire with my first one (as running 3 3007's in Eyefinity mode definitely taxes one 5870 to it's limit). Can anyone see any foreseeable problems I might encounter by adding a second card (assuming once again that I am able to maintain my current setup and bit-stream HD audio).

Any input is appreciated as well as your patience.

My apologies if this wasn't the proper thread to post these questions (I thought it would be the proper thread as I am concerned about the EDID issues).

Thank-you.

Again, bitstreaming will require a standard HDTV resolution (1080i/p or 720p at 16:9).

As for using the free HDMI port I'm not sure, but I think you can only have 3 active display devices with that Sapphire 5870 AFAIK. OTH there's the HD5870 Eyefinity with 6 display ports (like these ones) which can take up to 6 displays.

post #1482 of 4008 Old 08-02-2010, 05:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by DzigiBau View Post

Tulli,

thank you for all of your efforts. small question.

I have panasonioc plasma 42G20ES and saw here overide for 50G15. Can I use that one for my television or maybe I can post original EDID here and someone could make me one.

Yes, try that one. Don't know what you problem is but if needed and the available mod gives you video issues then post your specific EDIDs and I'll do the mod.

post #1483 of 4008 Old 08-02-2010, 06:17 AM

Thank you for your fast response. Before posting EDID, few notes what I want to have:

1. Bitstreaming HD audio through ATI HD5770 HDMI.
2. Correct problems with switching between monitor and television, it always switch to my television in resolution 1024x768 24Hz no matter what I do in creation CCC profiles. That means when I press hotkey or double click profile shortcut it switch to my plasma but in that weird 1024x768 resolution and then I have to manually set everything again to 1920x1080 25i or 50Hz.

Just small clue. I have dual boot Windows Xp SP3 and Windows 7 Ultimate. CCC is 10.7 on both. XP SP3 has a problem with switching between monitor and television, Windows 7 does not, but it has some other issues.

I still prefer Windows XP to watch videos but cannot make CCC to work correctly with resolutions of plasma television.

The only EDID I can provide you is the one I can collect by vladd's tool with direct connection between television and ATI HD 5770 card. Hopefully, it could be enough for you to make an override.

Here are EDIDs of mine:

MyEDIDs.zip 2.0634765625k . file
Attached Files
File Type: zip MyEDIDs.zip (2.1 KB, 2 views)
post #1484 of 4008 Old 08-02-2010, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Thank you for your fast response. Before posting EDID, few notes what I want to have:

2. Correct problems with switching between monitor and television, it always switch to my television in resolution 1024x768 24Hz no matter what I do in creation CCC profiles. That means when I press hotkey or double click profile shortcut it switch to my plasma but in that weird 1024x768 resolution and then I have to manually set everything again to 1920x1080 25i or 50Hz.

Just small clue. I have dual boot Windows Xp SP3 and Windows 7 Ultimate. CCC is 10.7 on both. XP SP3 has a problem with switching between monitor and television, Windows 7 does not, but it has some other issues.

I still prefer Windows XP to watch videos but cannot make CCC to work correctly with resolutions of plasma television.

The only EDID I can provide you is the one I can collect by vladd's tool with direct connection between television and ATI HD 5770 card. Hopefully, it could be enough for you to make an override.

Here are EDIDs of mine:

The AVR EDID is missing. There're only the EDIDs of primary monitor and the Panasonic TV in your attachment.

post #1485 of 4008 Old 08-02-2010, 01:02 PM

Quote:

The AVR EDID is missing. There're only the EDIDs of primary monitor and the Panasonic TV in your attachment.

That is all I got. I do not have an AVR. Is it possible to do something with sent EDIDs.

One more, after I install your Panasonic 52G15 override, I lost possibility of 25i refresh rate or it is eventually some bug of CCC 10.7. If you have some information on it, I would appreciate to hear it from you.
post #1486 of 4008 Old 08-02-2010, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
That is all I got. I do not have an AVR. Is it possible to do something with sent EDIDs.

One more, after I install your Panasonic 52G15 override, I lost possibility of 25i refresh rate or it is eventually some bug of CCC 10.7. If you have some information on it, I would appreciate to hear it from you.
Well you said in previous post that you wanted

Quote:

That requires an AVR/Prepro capable of decoding HD audio codecs.

Anyway I attach the Panasonic monitor driver as is, corresponding to the EDID you captured. You can use it to do the EDID override (if this is really what you need to solve your issue, whatever its real cause may be ...)

Panasonic TV.zip 1.1552734375k . file
Attached Files
File Type: zip Panasonic TV.zip (1.2 KB, 0 views)

post #1487 of 4008 Old 08-03-2010, 02:01 PM

Thank you Tulli.

When I installed your EDID override, now I have all options of bitsreaming opened up to 192kzh studio. I can use it my way .

The other problem of mine is that CCC 10.7 do not switch to 1920x1080 50Hz, when I wanted to switch between monitor and my plasma television. It always appears something like 1440x990 60Hz, and I really do not know why. After that, I have to manually change it to 1920x1080 50Hz, which is quite annoying.

I hoped this would solve this issue too, but it did not. Still looking for some solution for that.
post #1488 of 4008 Old 08-03-2010, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

You're overriding the EDID of the Panasonic only. OTH there should be no problem with the monitor. I stiil don't understand what your issue is.

Do you have the monitor and the Panasonic connected at the same time (dual monitor setup)? It should work perfectly in extended mode and without the EDID override.

Maybe a clean-up of registry monitor entries would help. Follow uninstall section in link on my sig. to remove all greyed-out monitor drivers. Uninstall even the EDID override. Then connect monitor and TV in dual monitor setup. Set the Panasonic to extended mode. It should work with no issues.

post #1489 of 4008 Old 08-03-2010, 05:19 PM

I just replaced my xonar hdav and nvidia card with a ati 5570 hd card. I uninstalled all nvidia and xonar drivers. Installed catalyst 10.7. My audio device says not plugged in. My video setup is a onkyo 705 to a epson 1080ub projector. my monitor is generic pnp. My device is listed as a tx-sr705 though.

any ideas how to get the audio working?
post #1490 of 4008 Old 08-03-2010, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Make sure the native ATI HDMI Audio Device is actually installed (check on Device Manager). Version should be 7.11.0.7706 (I'm on 10.6 which is the same AFAIK).

post #1491 of 4008 Old 08-04-2010, 03:37 AM

Quote:

Make sure the native ATI HDMI Audio Device is actually installed (check on Device Manager). Version should be 7.11.0.7706 (I'm on 10.6 which is the same AFAIK).

No luck. The correct driver is showing.....i am going to wipe my system tonight. I have been planning a fresh install for the ceton infinitv card coming soon. I will just do it tonight.

So, with current the driver state, i should be able to install the latest catalyst and that will support bitstreaming truehd and dtshd ? Or will i still need edid overrides and realtek drivers?
post #1492 of 4008 Old 08-04-2010, 05:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by killervette View Post

No luck. The correct driver is showing.....i am going to wipe my system tonight. I have been planning a fresh install for the ceton infinitv card coming soon. I will just do it tonight.

So, with current the driver state, i should be able to install the latest catalyst and that will support bitstreaming truehd and dtshd ? Or will i still need edid overrides and realtek drivers?

No need of the EDID override and native ATI HDMI audio driver is fine.

post #1493 of 4008 Old 08-04-2010, 08:19 AM

Quote:

You're overriding the EDID of the Panasonic only. OTH there should be no problem with the monitor. I stiil don't understand what your issue is.

Do you have the monitor and the Panasonic connected at the same time (dual monitor setup)? It should work perfectly in extended mode and without the EDID override.

Maybe a clean-up of registry monitor entries would help. Follow uninstall section in link on my sig. to remove all grayed-out monitor drivers. Uninstall even the EDID override. Then connect monitor and TV in dual monitor setup. Set the Panasonic to extended mode. It should work with no issues.

Thank you once again.

Bitstreaming is solved. It works. Tried that using some equipment, very satisfying.

Although it probably would not be the topic, the issue besides bitstreaming I have is related to switching between monitor and television, not extended mode. What I wanted, and used to have is switching:

- monitor ordinary one Nokia 447i connected to DVI to Panasonic FullHD plasma television connected to hdmi using created CCC profile. More precisely, when I launch profile in CCC I want my monitor to turn off and my television to turn on, but in resolution I selected 1920x1080 50Hz. It stopped working since television always turn on in resolution 1024x768 60Hz.

- then I have to manually select resolution to 1920x1080 50Hz, every time, which is very annoying.

I had this before, with CCC 9.12, but after I install version 10.4 this problem has started to appear. I tried to roll back to 9.12, nothing happens, the problem remained. That is why I thought it could be related to drivers since I had two of them in Device Manager Nokia 447i for my monitor and Plug And Play Monitor probably dedicated to Panasonic Television. Extended desktop would not satisfy me at all.

Thank you for your patience and efforts, but this annoying problem makes me crazy.
post #1494 of 4008 Old 08-05-2010, 03:14 AM

Hello,

The Samsung LN-S4095D - ONKYO TX-NR906 EDID Overrides solved my problems.
I wasn't able to bitstream HD audio from my 5770 to my Onkyo SR308 with a Sony KDL-32v5500 Lcd TV.

Now, with the EDID Override, it works fine with Power DVD and FFDshow for DTS HDMA and Dolby True HD.

Thanks.
post #1495 of 4008 Old 08-05-2010, 08:13 PM

Actually, my main goal was to have both Eyefinity (three monitors) as well as HD Audio, not Eyefinity with 6 monitors.

In my particular circumstance, it is not possible. My three monitors only have DVI-D ports, no HDMI. And even if I did utilize one of the HDMI ports (instead of one of the DVI-D ports), I don't believe I would be able to have Eyefinity (as I believe I would then have to output to the receiver then to one of the monitors which most likely wouldn't work - I would be surprised if it did).

I was hoping on the slim chance that the HDMI port would pass audio even though it has been stated that the HDMI port would be inactive when the other three ports (the DVI-D ports and the displayport) are utilized. I don't know why I thought it might. I suppose I wasn't thinking straight.

I was aware of the restrictions of bit-streaming, but perhaps do not understand the theory as well as I would like. In this particular case, say that all four ports were to work and that HDMI was active (this is a hypothetical to help my understanding). If I was not using the HDMI for video (that is it wasn't connected to my monitor(s)), and I was simply to output the directly from the HDMI port to my AVR, would I still experience EDID problems (since there wouldn't be a monitor to conflict with the receiver)?

As it stands right now, in my current setup, I cannot bitstream HD Audio to an AVR (once again because my HDMI port is inactive). I thought about using an AzuenTech HD theater card, but it requires HDMI input from the video source. Once again, impossible for me as my HDMI port is inactive. I am unaware of any other card that would support Dolby® TrueHD, DTS-HD formats.

So I thought about getting another, lower-end ATI 5xxx card with HDMI to add to my setup. It would not be part of the Eyefinity (as it would not be connected to any monitors) and it would not be crossfired (as it would have to be identical to the other card). Using this card I was thinking of outputting the HD audio signal to an AVR.

Does anyone think this to be possible? Apparently I can add a different card that isn't in crossfire mode and it will work while having no effect on the Eyefinity setup. I would assume a second HDMI connection would show in the sound control panel. Attaching an HDMI cable from that card to the AVR I would assume show it to be active. I am uncertain if it would appear in PowerDVD 9 Ultra.

Once again, since the HDMI port would not be connected to a monitor, simply connected to my AVR, would I have any EDID problems?

I apologize if some of these questions seem ludicrous as well as repetitive. I have read many posts but none seem to answer my questions exactly nor are related to my particular situation.

If there is a thread that would aid in my understanding of EDID's (I have not found it yet, just threads on problems and solutions) feel free to direct me to it. Perhaps I could answer my own questions and not encumber others.

Sincerely,
post #1496 of 4008 Old 08-06-2010, 06:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

AFAIK the ATI card requires an actual display device connected to enable the HDMI audio device, so you would need something like a Gefen Detective Plus connected to the AVR video out. So the additional ATI card->AVR->Gefen should work just fine IMO (hopefully with no lip-sync issues).

post #1497 of 4008 Old 08-06-2010, 07:42 PM

Quote:

AFAIK the ATI card requires an actual display device connected to enable the HDMI audio device, so you would need something like a Gefen Detective Plus connected to the AVR video out. So the additional ATI card->AVR->Gefen should work just fine IMO (hopefully with no lip-sync issues).

The solutions to my dilemma are causing me to doubt my "need" for bit-streaming.

Just so I am clear, I wouldn't necessarily have to output from my receiver to a display, just output from the receiver to a Gefen HDMI Detective Plus which would have the EDID of any compatible display (and not necessarily connected to said compatible display). Is that correct?

As my current monitors do not natively display 1080p/i or 720 (native resolution is 2650x1600), I could get the EDID of, say, my father's 42" Viera, and program the Gefen Detective with the Viera's EDID.

Does this sound like viable solution? I am not sure if I will do that anyway as the cost has gone beyond simply purchasing a bit-streaming capable AVR and speakers (additional matching video card, HDMI Detective).

I wonder if ATI's or Nvdia's next series of cards (6xxx or 5xx) will make bit-streaming easier.

Thank-you for you time Tulli by the way.
post #1498 of 4008 Old 08-06-2010, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Yes, that's correct.

post #1499 of 4008 Old 08-08-2010, 08:13 AM

hello tulli, i'm french sorry for my english,It will be cool if you could make a mod for a philips tv and my sony str-dg820 amplifier

philips 42pf5521d and sony str-dg820.zip 2.3583984375k . file
Attached Files
File Type: zip philips 42pf5521d and sony str-dg820.zip (2.4 KB, 0 views)
post #1500 of 4008 Old 08-08-2010, 08:33 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryHTPCBuilder View Post

The solutions to my dilemma are causing me to doubt my "need" for bit-streaming.

Just so I am clear, I wouldn't necessarily have to output from my receiver to a display, just output from the receiver to a Gefen HDMI Detective Plus which would have the EDID of any compatible display (and not necessarily connected to said compatible display). Is that correct?

As my current monitors do not natively display 1080p/i or 720 (native resolution is 2650x1600), I could get the EDID of, say, my father's 42" Viera, and program the Gefen Detective with the Viera's EDID.

Does this sound like viable solution? I am not sure if I will do that anyway as the cost has gone beyond simply purchasing a bit-streaming capable AVR and speakers (additional matching video card, HDMI Detective).

I wonder if ATI's or Nvdia's next series of cards (6xxx or 5xx) will make bit-streaming easier.

Thank-you for you time Tulli by the way.

If it shows up in playback devices, it should work. I had a 5750 and a 5450 installed and 5450 hdmi to AVR and it bitstreams. The output of that hdmi has to be HD resolution for the AVR(Onkyo) to recognize it.

"The purpose of diplomacy is to prolong a crisis." Spock, Mark of Gideon, TOS
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page