EDID Overrides to solve bitstreaming issues for ATI 5xxx's - Page 9 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #241 of 4032 Old 02-24-2010, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
vladd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 5,465
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulli View Post

Samuri, IT WORKS!!!

Just replaced one byte in my DENON 988 EDID to enable 192khz support for TrueHD and that DID IT!

Thanks a bunch to rasmusb and to you for pinpointing the EXACT problem.

So, ladies and gents, mystery solved: ATI is INNOCENT!, or too picky?, for taking too literally (is that a bug?) a FAULTY AVR EDID value.

Now, what about other failing AVRs? Took a look at the failing ONKYO TX-SR875 EDID, and sure enough TrueHD/192Khz is marked as not supported there.

Can't find a couple of SONY AVR EDIDs that I had but this is the issue. OTH Checked one Yamaha and Pioneer AVRs EDID and TrueHD/192khz is marked supported in both.

Great, now that we know the exact issue, I can probably do the fixes programmatically. I would just need to parse the EDID and check the audio block. Tulli won't have to spend his free time making mods.

I'm not sure when I could get it done though. Leaving for vacation on Sunday and I'm trying to wrap up a bunch of stuff.
vladd is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #242 of 4032 Old 02-24-2010, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold
 
Tulli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 5,172
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladd View Post

Great, now that we know the exact issue, I can probably do the fixes programmatically. I would just need to parse the EDID and check the audio block. Tulli won't have to spend his free time making mods.

I'm not sure when I could get it done though. Leaving for vacation on Sunday and I'm trying to wrap up a bunch of stuff.

Ha, Ha, that's what I reallly call a FIX! ...

Just checked the failing Sony STR-DN1000 and again, TrueHD/192Khz not supported, but here 2 DTS HD descriptors, and the one with 8 channels has 192khz not supported, so you will have to program to fix that too, vladd ...

EDID Overrides (capture, install/uninstall, troubleshooting)
Tulli is offline  
post #243 of 4032 Old 02-24-2010, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member
 
vladd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 5,465
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Yeah, I'm figuring that I'll just check to see if a TrueHD entry exists. If it does, I'll know the receiver supports TrueHD. I'll then remove all TrueHD entries (in case there is more than one) and set a single entry with 192/8ch. Then do the same for DTS-HD.

I can probably even implement the override settings programatically so it's pretty much a "one click" solution.
vladd is offline  
post #244 of 4032 Old 02-24-2010, 02:35 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
Davinleeds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 5,410
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Isn't 192 for 2 channel?

"The purpose of diplomacy is to prolong a crisis." Spock, Mark of Gideon, TOS
Davinleeds is offline  
post #245 of 4032 Old 02-24-2010, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold
 
Tulli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 5,172
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davinleeds View Post

Isn't 192 for 2 channel?

No. The Divertimenti BD, for instance, has 5.1 192Khz DTS HD & TrueHD tracks.

EDID Overrides (capture, install/uninstall, troubleshooting)
Tulli is offline  
post #246 of 4032 Old 02-24-2010, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold
 
Tulli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 5,172
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladd View Post

Yeah, I'm figuring that I'll just check to see if a TrueHD entry exists. If it does, I'll know the receiver supports TrueHD. I'll then remove all TrueHD entries (in case there is more than one) and set a single entry with 192/8ch. Then do the same for DTS-HD.

I can probably even implement the override settings programatically so it's pretty much a "one click" solution.

Or maybe just check up for that byte "1E" in each case and replace it with "5E" (or "7E" to include 176.4 Khz too). That's what I manually did.

Otherwise you'll have to keep track and update the Audio Data Block Length, and the Detailed Timing Descriptors Begin Offset, (and the checksum of course, which is no issue, obviously, for you).

EDID Overrides (capture, install/uninstall, troubleshooting)
Tulli is offline  
post #247 of 4032 Old 02-24-2010, 02:48 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
Davinleeds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 5,410
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
DTS-HD Master Audio Features
• Lossless Audio with variable data rates up to 24.5 Mbps for Blu-ray Disc and up to 18.0 Mbps for the
HD DVD format
• Up to 7.1 discrete channels with a sampling frequency of 96 kHz and 24 bits of signal resolution
• Up to 192 kHz sampling frequency and 24 bits of signal resolution for 2.0 channels
• Speaker Re-mapping with multiple speaker playback configurations for 7.1 channel systems
• Secondary Audio/Sub Audio Stream for supplemental audio content*

I haven't checked Dolby. This is from DTS HD Whitepaper pdf page 6.

Dolby has 5.1 support with 192.

Supports Blue-ray Disc’s standard eight full-range channels of 24-bit/96 kHz audio, and up to 5.1 channels of 24-bit/192 kHz audio

"The purpose of diplomacy is to prolong a crisis." Spock, Mark of Gideon, TOS
Davinleeds is offline  
post #248 of 4032 Old 02-24-2010, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member
 
SamuriHL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 4,743
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulli View Post

Samuri, IT WORKS!!!

Just replaced one byte in my DENON 988 EDID to enable 192khz support for TrueHD and that DID IT!

Thanks a bunch to rasmusb and to you for pinpointing the EXACT problem.

So, ladies and gents, mystery solved: ATI is INNOCENT!, or too picky?, for taking too literally (is that a bug?) a FAULTY AVR EDID value.

Now, what about other failing AVRs? Took a look at the failing ONKYO TX-SR875 EDID, and sure enough TrueHD/192Khz is marked as not supported there.

Can't find a couple of SONY AVR EDIDs that I had but this is the issue. OTH Checked one Yamaha and Pioneer AVRs EDID and TrueHD/192khz is marked supported in both.

SWEET!!!!!!! That's awesome! This is very big news.
SamuriHL is offline  
post #249 of 4032 Old 02-24-2010, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member
 
vladd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 5,465
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulli View Post

Or maybe just check up for that byte "1E" in each case and replace it with "5E" (or "7E" to include 176.4 Khz too). That's what I manually did.

Otherwise you'll have to keep track and update the Audio Data Block Length, and the Detailed Timing Descriptors Begin Offset, (and the checksum of course, which is no issue obviously for you).


I would need to track them anyway. It's possible to have "1E" in other sections of the EDID.
vladd is offline  
post #250 of 4032 Old 02-24-2010, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold
 
Tulli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 5,172
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davinleeds View Post

DTS-HD Master Audio Features
• Lossless Audio with variable data rates up to 24.5 Mbps for Blu-ray Disc and up to 18.0 Mbps for the
HD DVD format
• Up to 7.1 discrete channels with a sampling frequency of 96 kHz and 24 bits of signal resolution
• Up to 192 kHz sampling frequency and 24 bits of signal resolution for 2.0 channels
• Speaker Re-mapping with multiple speaker playback configurations for 7.1 channel systems
• Secondary Audio/Sub Audio Stream for supplemental audio content*

I haven't checked Dolby. This is from DTS HD Whitepaper pdf page 6.

Dolby has 5.1 support with 192.

Supports Blue-ray Disc’s standard eight full-range channels of 24-bit/96 kHz audio, and up to 5.1 channels of 24-bit/192 kHz audio

Thx, Davin!

EDID Overrides (capture, install/uninstall, troubleshooting)
Tulli is offline  
post #251 of 4032 Old 02-24-2010, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold
 
Tulli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 5,172
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladd View Post

I would need to track them anyway. It's possible to have "1E" in other sections of the EDID.

Yes. But here's a possible algorithm:
Skip first 4 bytes of the Extension block.

Extract video_block_number_of_bytes in byte 5.

Skip video_block_number_of_bytes bytes.

Extract audio_block_number_of_bytes

/* Now each audio descriptor is 3 bytes and the codes we're looking for are:

TrueHD 6 =

65

TrueHD 8 = 67

DTS HD 6 = 5D

DTS HD 8 = 5F

Next byte is the 192khz byte to be changed to 5E (or 7E) */ For i = 1 to audio_block_number_of_bytes
If audio_block_descriptor_code is not ('65' or '67' or '5D or '5F')
skip 2 bytes

else

read next byte and set it to '5E' (or '7E' if you like to enable all formats)
skip 1 bytes
Well, more or less, you get the idea and do it right, vladd ...

EDID Overrides (capture, install/uninstall, troubleshooting)
Tulli is offline  
post #252 of 4032 Old 02-24-2010, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member
 
vladd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 5,465
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Yeah, that's basically what I was going to do. When I said "parse the EDID" I actually meant just enough to get the audio block.

Nice little algorithm. You just saved me some time.
vladd is offline  
post #253 of 4032 Old 02-24-2010, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold
 
Tulli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 5,172
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladd View Post
Yeah, that's basically what I was going to do. When I said "parse the EDID" I actually meant just enough to get the audio block.

Nice little algorithm. You just saved me some time.
I attach some faulty EDIDs so you can test ...

 

FAULTY EDIDs.zip 0.9013671875k . file
Attached Files
File Type: zip FAULTY EDIDs.zip (923 Bytes, 0 views)

EDID Overrides (capture, install/uninstall, troubleshooting)
Tulli is offline  
post #254 of 4032 Old 02-24-2010, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold
 
Tulli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 5,172
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 81
@Beamer

Can you capture and post your AVP A1 EDID? It is most likely that the last firmware update fixed the "192Khz/TrueHD non supported" issue with DENONs.

EDID Overrides (capture, install/uninstall, troubleshooting)
Tulli is offline  
post #255 of 4032 Old 02-24-2010, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member
 
vladd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 5,465
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulli View Post

Ha, Ha, that's what I reallly call a FIX! ...

Just checked the failing Sony STR-DN1000 and again, TrueHD/192Khz not supported, but here 2 DTS HD descriptors, and the one with 8 channels has 192khz not supported, so you will have to program to fix that too, vladd ...

I just looked at this EDID. Did DTS-HD bitstreaming work with this receiver without an override? I'm guessing not. They have the two DTS-HD descriptors as you said and they have a "Dependent format" code for DTS but according to the audio block, the receiver cannot bitstream DTS (no descriptor for it).
vladd is offline  
post #256 of 4032 Old 02-24-2010, 06:37 PM
Member
 
blackcell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Oregon
Posts: 180
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Gee, with all this EDID excitement I just wanted to check for those of us who already applied the EDID mod and have DTS-HD/TrueHD working just fine we can ignore the excitement?...though good job on root causing!
blackcell is offline  
post #257 of 4032 Old 02-24-2010, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member
 
SamuriHL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 4,743
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
If it works.....isn't that what matters? Finding the root cause, however, allows them to fine tune the EDID override process. And maybe even automate it. But for those who have it working, meh.
SamuriHL is offline  
post #258 of 4032 Old 02-24-2010, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold
 
Tulli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 5,172
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladd View Post

I just looked at this EDID. Did DTS-HD bitstreaming work with this receiver without an override? I'm guessing not. They have the two DTS-HD descriptors as you said and they have a "Dependent format" code for DTS but according to the audio block, the receiver cannot bitstream DTS (no descriptor for it).

Absolutely, vladd. Sonys have the worst EDID structure that I've checked so far.

EDID Overrides (capture, install/uninstall, troubleshooting)
Tulli is offline  
post #259 of 4032 Old 02-24-2010, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member
 
vladd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 5,465
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post

If it works.....isn't that what matters? Finding the root cause, however, allows them to fine tune the EDID override process. And maybe even automate it. But for those who have it working, meh.

Yeah, what he said.
vladd is offline  
post #260 of 4032 Old 02-24-2010, 07:07 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group
 
gsr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 7,420
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulli View Post
@Beamer

Can you capture and post your AVP A1 EDID? It is most likely that the last firmware update fixed the "192Khz/TrueHD non supported" issue with DENONs.
I just did the following:

1) Uninstall EDID override monitor driver.
2) Uninstall existing ATI driver, etc.
3) Install Catalyst 10.2 (including the ATI HDMI audio driver since I'm using ArcSoft TMT)
4) Tested Dolby True HD - no sound, but TMT reported pass through mode
5) Tested DTS HD Master Audio - worked fine
6) Updated my Denon AVP-A1HDCI to the latest firmware (I already had the DL4 update, so I wasn't too far behind).
7) Tested Dolby True HD - no sound, but TMT reported pass through mode
8) Tested DTS HD Master Audio - worked fine
9) Reinstalled the EDID override monitor driver.
10) Tested Dolby True HD - worked fine
11) Tested DTS HD Master Audio - worked fine

Attached is the output of Vladd's GetEdid tool from the Denon AVP-A1HDCI with the latest firmware update installed.

Hopefully this info is useful.

 

DENON-AVAMP.0.2_LatestFirmwareAsOf20100224.zip 1.2119140625k . file
Attached Files
File Type: zip DENON-AVAMP.0.2_LatestFirmwareAsOf20100224.zip (1.2 KB, 2 views)
gsr is offline  
post #261 of 4032 Old 02-24-2010, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold
 
Tulli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 5,172
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Thx a lot, gsr. The EDID you captured just confirms the results of your testing, as the faulty TrueHD 192khz audio descriptor is still there .

EDID Overrides (capture, install/uninstall, troubleshooting)
Tulli is offline  
post #262 of 4032 Old 02-24-2010, 07:50 PM
Member
 
blackcell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Oregon
Posts: 180
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post

If it works.....isn't that what matters? Finding the root cause, however, allows them to fine tune the EDID override process. And maybe even automate it. But for those who have it working, meh.

Agreed. Just was curious if a further mod was necessary on those rare files with 192Khz. In my line of work, "working" versus "working properly" can be two entirely different matters .
blackcell is offline  
post #263 of 4032 Old 02-24-2010, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold
 
Tulli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 5,172
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcell View Post

Agreed. Just was curious if a further mod was necessary on those rare files with 192Khz. In my line of work, "working" versus "working properly" can be two entirely different matters .

No, any new mod based on these new findings won't affect any current audio functionality.

EDID Overrides (capture, install/uninstall, troubleshooting)
Tulli is offline  
post #264 of 4032 Old 02-24-2010, 08:42 PM
Senior Member
 
BigZAJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 432
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
For TMT3 to work correctly with True HD Audio I need to use the EDID override correct and the ATI HDMI driver, not the realtek HDMI driver?
BigZAJ is offline  
post #265 of 4032 Old 02-24-2010, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member
 
vladd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 5,465
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigZAJ View Post

For TMT3 to work correctly with True HD Audio I need to use the EDID override correct and the ATI HDMI driver, not the realtek HDMI driver?

Correct. You need the ATI driver and in your case, you will most likely need the override because you have a Denon.
vladd is offline  
post #266 of 4032 Old 02-24-2010, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Smitty2k1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 1,033
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Great work everyone!!
Smitty2k1 is online now  
post #267 of 4032 Old 02-24-2010, 09:05 PM
Senior Member
 
BigZAJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 432
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladd View Post

Correct. You need the ATI driver and in your case, you will most likely need the override because you have a Denon.

I have the Pioneer Display / Denon EDID override from the first page. I also have catalyst 10.2 installed with the ATI HDMI Driver as well as TMT .170.

When I select to use "original primary audio" it shows as DTS-HD MSTR Pass Through, however I have no audio and video playback is very choppy. Using TMT it shows the stream at about 6-9mbps, if I select DTS Mix audio kicks back in and the stream goes up to 20-30mbps.
BigZAJ is offline  
post #268 of 4032 Old 02-24-2010, 09:10 PM
AVS Special Member
 
vladd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 5,465
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigZAJ View Post

When I select to use "original primary audio" it shows as DTS-HD MSTR Pass Through, however I have no audio and video playback is very choppy. Using TMT it shows the stream at about 6-9mbps, if I select DTS Mix audio kicks back in and the stream goes up to 20-30mbps.

That sounds like the same thing that happens when using the RealTek drivers. What driver version/date does it show in Device Manager?
vladd is offline  
post #269 of 4032 Old 02-24-2010, 09:15 PM
Senior Member
 
BigZAJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 432
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladd View Post

That sounds like the same thing that happens when using the RealTek drivers. What driver version/date does it show in Device Manager?

Driver Provider:
ATI Technologies, Inc.

Driver Date:
2/2/2010

Driver Version:
8.702.0.0
BigZAJ is offline  
post #270 of 4032 Old 02-24-2010, 09:21 PM
AVS Special Member
 
vladd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 5,465
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigZAJ View Post

Driver Provider:
ATI Technologies, Inc.

Driver Date:
2/2/2010

Driver Version:
8.702.0.0

Did you install the 10.3 beta by any chance? The 10.2 driver should have a date of 1/21/2010 and a version of 7.11.0.7703

If you still have the extracted drivers, try doing a driver update and specifying the drivers to use. Point the "update" to:

Code:
C:\\ATI\\Support\\10-2_vista64_win7_64_dd_ccc_wdm_enu\\Packages\\Drivers\\WDM\\HDMICE\\[OSVersion]
or wherever you extracted the drivers. Replace "[OSVersion]" with the folder for your OS. For me it was ...\\HDMICE\\WIN64a
vladd is offline  
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off