Windows 7 Media Center Recording Live TV to NAS - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 02-20-2010, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone know a method of selecting a network storage location under Recorder Storage in WMC7? I want to record TV to a remote NAS and be able to playback those files.

I've read there are hacks available to enable this but never tracked down the specifics. I've read about transferring recordings after the fact as a automated process but would rather avoid that if at all possible.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 02-20-2010, 06:27 PM

Liked: 11
From what I have heard you can not record to a network share, just to a local hard drive.
post #3 of 21 Old 02-22-2010, 11:49 AM

You can modify the following registry key directly for 7MC to record to NAS:

Registry Key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVer sion\\Media Center\\Service\\Recording
Description:
Lets you change the default storage location for recorded TV.

I used it on MCE 2005 and it worked reasonably well. I recently upgraded to Windows 7 and it doesn't work as reliably as in XP. Most recordings ended up with only 512K bytes. Any minor network glitch (NAS in hibernation, etc) caused the recording to fail. Currently I am going with "record locally then move to NAS" route.
post #4 of 21 Old 02-22-2010, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

I setup a Scheduled Event that triggers when the recording has finished, this triggers a command to Move the Recorded TV file to my NAS. This works great and I am not dependant on the NAS to do the recording. My batch file that performs the move uses a Wild Card to move all recording files so if for some reason one failes it will get caught the next time.
post #5 of 21 Old 02-22-2010, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user4avsforum View Post

I setup a Scheduled Event that triggers when the recording has finished, this triggers a command to Move the Recorded TV file to my NAS. This works great and I am not dependant on the NAS to do the recording. My batch file that performs the move uses a Wild Card to move all recording files so if for some reason one failes it will get caught the next time.

This is probably the way to go...
post #6 of 21 Old 02-22-2010, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drees View Post

You can modify the following registry key directly for 7MC to record to NAS:

Registry Key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVer sion\\Media Center\\Service\\Recording
Description:
Lets you change the default storage location for recorded TV.

I used it on MCE 2005 and it worked reasonably well. I recently upgraded to Windows 7 and it doesn't work as reliably as in XP. Most recordings ended up with only 512K bytes. Any minor network glitch (NAS in hibernation, etc) caused the recording to fail. Currently I am going with "record locally then move to NAS" route.

cool im gonna try that. That opens up network drive letter to WMC interface?
post #7 of 21 Old 02-22-2010, 10:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I setup a Scheduled Event that triggers when the recording has finished, this triggers a command to Move the Recorded TV file to my NAS. This works great and I am not dependant on the NAS to do the recording. My batch file that performs the move uses a Wild Card to move all recording files so if for some reason one fails it will get caught the next time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallen Kell View Post

This is probably the way to go...

Here are some basic instructions on how to set this up.

A) First create a batch file to copy your recordings. e.g. CopyTV.cmd

Example using the built in Move command (RoboCopy also works)

Code:
@ECHO OFF
move "c:\\users\\public\
ecorded tv\\*.wtv" "x:\
ecorded tv\\"
B) Next create a Task Scheduler task that triggers on the recording complete event.

Navigate the Windows Start menu to "All Programs" -> "Accessories" -> "System Tools" and select "Task Scheduler".

1. Under "Actions" select "Create Basic Task...".
  2. Give your task a name and description then click "Next" (Note: pick something like "aaa Move Recorded TV" because the tasks alpha sort and it can be hard to find later)
  3. At the "Trigger" prompt select "When a specific event is logged", click "Next"
  4. In the "Log:" drop down select "Media Center".
  5. In the "Source:" drop down select "Recording".
  6. In the "Event ID:" box type the number 1.
  7. Click "Next"
  8. At the "Action" prompt select "Start a program".
  9. At the "Start a Program" prompt, click the "Browse" button, navigate to the batch file you created and click "Open"
  10. Click "Next", then click "Finish".

To test your new triggered event simply start a new recording then stop the recording, your new event should trigger and launch your Move TV batch file.
post #8 of 21 Old 02-23-2010, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
You can also use iSCSI to record directly to a network drive. If you have an MSDN subscription then you can download the MS iSCSI Target and install that on the server then just run the iSCSI initiator on the MCE.

If you dont have an MSN sub then the Starwind ISCSI Target is free.

I do this from 7 MCE to a Win2K8 server and it works great. Never had an error in recordings and I can record 4 HD shows and play back another without any issues.
post #9 of 21 Old 02-23-2010, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinqian View Post

cool im gonna try that. That opens up network drive letter to WMC interface?

No, you won't be able to see the mapped drive in 7MC interface. You should use UNC path instead because the recorder service runs under a different user account and doesn't know the network drive mapping:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVer sion\\Media Center\\Service\\Recording]
"RecordPath"="\\\\NAS\
ecorded tv"
post #10 of 21 Old 10-20-2010, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drees View Post

No, you won't be able to see the mapped drive in 7MC interface. You should use UNC path instead because the recorder service runs under a different user account and doesn't know the network drive mapping:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVer sion\\Media Center\\Service\\Recording]
"RecordPath"="\\\\NAS\
ecorded tv"

This almost works for me...
It shows the share, but it says "Ogb available"

"The selected drive is unavailable"

It's fine, it's my server 2008 in the basement..... and it's 100% operational right now.

:-/
post #11 of 21 Old 10-21-2010, 04:37 AM
Advanced Member

I would suggest a RoboCopy (Robust Copy) script (batch file) to move the files. An insider at MS told me that it's the "official" internal MS backup/archive tool. I use it and it works great. A little weird.
post #12 of 21 Old 10-21-2010, 05:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Probably not much help here, but WHS PP3 (with the Win7 client) has an automatic recording archive function, and integration into the 10ft MC GUI, allowing you to automatically move recordings to the WHS after they've finished, or manage moving of individual or series recordings.

This works very well, and is totally seamless. Once on the WHS, they appear as normal in your Recorded TV list (along with local recordings).
post #13 of 21 Old 10-21-2010, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tman247 View Post

Probably not much help here, but WHS PP3 (with the Win7 client) has an automatic recording archive function, and integration into the 10ft MC GUI, allowing you to automatically move recordings to the WHS after they've finished, or manage moving of individual or series recordings.

This works very well, and is totally seamless. Once on the WHS, they appear as normal in your Recorded TV list (along with local recordings).

Geeze I guess I might have to find a copy of WHS
post #14 of 21 Old 10-22-2010, 09:02 PM

Quote:

Here are some basic instructions on how to set this up.

A) First create a batch file to copy your recordings. e.g. CopyTV.cmd

Example using the built in Move command (RoboCopy also works)

Code:
@ECHO OFF
move "c:\\users\\public\
ecorded tv\\*.wtv" "x:\
ecorded tv\\"
B) Next create a Task Scheduler task that triggers on the recording complete event.

Navigate the Windows Start menu to "All Programs" -> "Accessories" -> "System Tools" and select "Task Scheduler".

1. Under "Actions" select "Create Basic Task...".
  2. Give your task a name and description then click "Next" (Note: pick something like "aaa Move Recorded TV" because the tasks alpha sort and it can be hard to find later)
  3. At the "Trigger" prompt select "When a specific event is logged", click "Next"
  4. In the "Log:" drop down select "Media Center".
  5. In the "Source:" drop down select "Recording".
  6. In the "Event ID:" box type the number 1.
  7. Click "Next"
  8. At the "Action" prompt select "Start a program".
  9. At the "Start a Program" prompt, click the "Browse" button, navigate to the batch file you created and click "Open"
  10. Click "Next", then click "Finish".

To test your new triggered event simply start a new recording then stop the recording, your new event should trigger and launch your Move TV batch file.

I tried this. My file works fine, but following these directions exactly.. I cannot get it to AUTO launch the bat file and move the files after the recordings are done....... then again I'm manually stopping them. We'll see if it's different if I just let the timer stop it.
post #15 of 21 Old 10-23-2010, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J3ff View Post

I tried this. My file works fine, but following these directions exactly.. I cannot get it to AUTO launch the bat file and move the files after the recordings are done....... then again I'm manually stopping them. We'll see if it's different if I just let the timer stop it.

So for some reason if I stop the recording it doesn't automatically move them. However it does move them if it stops on it's own.

Now I just have to figure out how to get it to load the thumbnails on its own.. they seem to lose their picture when they get moved over.
post #16 of 21 Old 06-09-2011, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostinsane View Post
You can also use iSCSI to record directly to a network drive. If you have an MSDN subscription then you can download the MS iSCSI Target and install that on the server then just run the iSCSI initiator on the MCE.

If you dont have an MSN sub then the Starwind ISCSI Target is free.

I do this from 7 MCE to a Win2K8 server and it works great. Never had an error in recordings and I can record 4 HD shows and play back another without any issues.
iSCSI will work, but you can not have multiple iSCSI initiator pointing to the same target due to NTSF limitations. So although you can record to the networked drive, the NTSF drive exposed by iSCSI is not sharable. Kinda defeated the purpose.
post #17 of 21 Old 06-09-2011, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
You can share it on the client (Initiator) via regular Windows file/folder sharing. You cannot, as you stated, have multiple initiators connecting to the same virtual disk. This isn't an NTFS limitation. You can have multiple initiators pointing to the same target, they just each need their own disk/VHD assigned.

It's no different that clustering servers. One server will always have ownership of the disk (quorum) and be able to read/write to it.
post #18 of 21 Old 06-10-2011, 12:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
OP,

This is exactly what I want to do. Please give my suggestion below a try. It will take you no more than 10 mins to set up.

Instruction: thread #14 and #115
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1336614
post #19 of 21 Old 07-13-2011, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J3ff View Post

Try adding a second trigger to your Event, but use EventID 3. So you'll have 2 triggers: Event ID 1 and Event ID 3. I'm almost positive 3 deals with manually stopping a recording.

EDIT: I can confirm that this works. 1 task to move recorded files with a properly setup .bat file, using 2 event triggers. Media Center>Recording>EventID 1 and EventID 3. I tested both today and it worked flawlessly. However, I was moving to a local Raid 5 array and not a network drive, but as long as the .bat file is configured correctly that shouldn't make a difference.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying." - Arthur C. Clarke
post #20 of 21 Old 10-23-2013, 06:49 PM

Great solution to problem of  transferring recorded programs on WMC

to NAS/ Thank you for the help!

post #21 of 21 Old 10-23-2013, 06:51 PM