Best universal remote & IR receiver for HTPC setup, macros? - AVS Forum
Home Theater Computers > Best universal remote & IR receiver for HTPC setup, macros?
cmakinson's Avatar cmakinson 11:19 AM 03-06-2010
Best universal remote & IR receiver for HTPC setup, macros?

Hi I would like to know what the best setup is. I currently have the logitech harmony one remote... But I can return that if you guys help me figure out something better.

This is what I want to do... Control all my devices with one remote and an IR receiver for my pc.

Computer = Dell studio slim 540S, Windows 7 home premium 64 bit, blue ray player

My specific question =

1 - Is the Logitech Harmony One remote the best and most configurable?

2 - Is this the best IR receiver for my pc? or do you know of a better one... I want it to do back flips (macros etc) and be highly configurable... I don't want to realize it can't do something I want it to do.

I want to be able to wake the screen on my PC, launch XBMC and control it perfectly, control ITunes, launch VLC and control it perfectly, power dvd... etc... etc... you get the idea...

Mediagate Windows 7 / Vista MCE Dual Channel IR Remote Control for Home Premium & Ultimate Black MG-IR02BK

Thanks in advance.

Equipment =

Cambridge Azur 640R amp
Morel 5.1 speakers
Scientific Atlanta explorer 8300HD
Technics 5 disc CD player
Samsung 46" 750 series
PS3
Dell Studio Slim 540S, Dual processor, 1TB HD, 8G Ram, Blue Ray, Windows 7 home premium 64 bit

Joe Blowe's Avatar Joe Blowe 11:27 AM 03-06-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmakinson View Post

I currently have the logitech harmony one remote...

How long have you had it? What have you done with it so far? Any of the things you listed below? If not, why not?
cmakinson's Avatar cmakinson 11:39 AM 03-06-2010
I did everything with the harmony one so far except get it to work with my PC because i dont have an IR receiver yet for the PC and I am trying to figure out the best one to get that will allow me to properly control the pc... including all the things i mentioned above.

Im basically looking for a really good IR receiver for my pc that works with the logitech harmony one remote... But it has to do the things I mentioned above.
cmakinson's Avatar cmakinson 02:13 PM 03-06-2010
ive had the harmony one for 4 days
Up
Mobile  Desktop