Windows Media Center with the new Comcast - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 03-08-2010, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Background:
Comcast recently changed their signaling, and I used to get most channels without a set-top box. Now, I can only get a handful of local stations without it. I have obtained and set up all the required set-top boxes for all televisions, so they're all set.

Issue:
However, my PC (Vista, Media Center, Hauppauge PVR-150) cannot realistically be setup with a set-top box.

How can I now capture anything other than the local channels, for example, my son wants something recorded on Nickelodean (channel 25).

I don't need to record anything in HD (not a strong desire, YET :-), but it would be nice someday to be able to record HD (e.g: channel 805, Comcast's HD channel for local network affiliate)

So I would like to continue using my PVR-150 just to get normal recordings, or maybe HD.

Do I need to re-configure my Media Center settings?

I would consider getting a new video/capture device, but I only have PCI on my (old) Dell Dimension 3000. I'm not a big fan of capture/video over USB, but I'm willing to listen to suggestions.

TIA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 03-08-2010, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sreeve29 View Post

Background:
Comcast recently changed their signaling, and I used to get most channels without a set-top box. Now, I can only get a handful of local stations without it. I have obtained and set up all the required set-top boxes for all televisions, so they're all set.

Issue:
However, my PC (Vista, Media Center, Hauppauge PVR-150) cannot realistically be setup with a set-top box.

How can I now capture anything other than the local channels, for example, my son wants something recorded on Nickelodean (channel 25).

I don't need to record anything in HD (not a strong desire, YET :-), but it would be nice someday to be able to record HD (e.g: channel 805, Comcast's HD channel for local network affiliate)

So I would like to continue using my PVR-150 just to get normal recordings, or maybe HD.

Do I need to re-configure my Media Center settings?

I would consider getting a new video/capture device, but I only have PCI on my (old) Dell Dimension 3000. I'm not a big fan of capture/video over USB, but I'm willing to listen to suggestions.

TIA.

get the ceton cable tuner available in a few weeks.

"If the world didn't suck, we'd all fly off."
post #3 of 3 Old 03-08-2010, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Sounds like Comcast in your area disabled the analog signal and that's what you were getting to the PC.

Go here to see what channels are offered over clearQAM in your area. It's possible, like Comcast for me, that they're offering all the basic cable channels in clearqam.

You'll need to upgrade to Win7 to get QAM support (I wouldn't recommend trying the buggy Vista TV Pack). You'd also have to replace your tuner, as it doesn't support QAM. Something simple like the Hauppauge 1250 would do. Or if you want dual tuners, the Aver A188.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page