cetons quad cablecard tuner for media center available for pre order - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 560 Old 08-09-2010, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 151
It's included with the first digital outlet, and will be $6.95/mo. if you're adding an extra outlet. So if you replace two DVRs with a CC and have no other boxes, you'll reduce your bill by $35. But don't forget you'll need an Xbox360 or a fleabay Linksys DMA2100 as an extender for the extra TV (both work great if hardwired to Ethernet).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 560 Old 08-09-2010, 12:04 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by babgvant View Post

2GB should be fine for 1 extender.

They did submit a comment to the FCC, and being a Sage user w/ Cable I'm hoping that they add support at some point. If your provider tags w/ Copy Freely there is a workaround (tested with ATI DCT).

How much ram would you recommend for 5 extenders? Dumb question here but would each extender take up memory on the HTPC?
post #273 of 560 Old 08-09-2010, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by URnext View Post

How much ram would you recommend for 5 extenders? Dumb question here but would each extender take up memory on the HTPC?

4GB+ I think you want to plan for ~500MB RAM per extender.

MC extenders use RDP to connect to the HTPC and they stream the A/V in a side channel so the UI and associated processes consume the servers's CPU and memory.
post #274 of 560 Old 08-09-2010, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
5 extenders would need a decent CPU, as well. My E8400 runs 10-20% on one extender for live/recorded TV.
post #275 of 560 Old 08-12-2010, 07:00 AM

Liked: 147
FYI, I ordered my tuner from Zones on the 13th of March and it shipped last night, to be delivered today.
post #276 of 560 Old 08-12-2010, 07:01 AM

I just got an e-mail from Zones saying the card is now in stock. Went to their website and it shows as being in stock there as well...hmmm
post #277 of 560 Old 08-12-2010, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Does anyone know what the tuning frequency range is for the Ceton InfiniTV 4?

Also can Win 7 use 2 Cisco tuning adapters to access all 4 tuners?

TiVo Roamio Pro, Premiere XL4, Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS, TiVo Mini
Win7 WMC SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime, Cisco Tuning Adapter Status Troubleshooting
post #278 of 560 Old 08-12-2010, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by subflava View Post

I just got an e-mail from Zones saying the card is now in stock. Went to their website and it shows as being in stock there as well...hmmm

Thanks for the heads up... Just impulse bought one!
post #279 of 560 Old 08-12-2010, 08:44 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by subflava View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzener View Post

Jeremy from Ceton posted a message at The Green Button forums early this morning that Zones should not have any in stock. From we've been hearing Zones most likely doesn't have enough to fill the pre orders. So don't expect to receive a card you order today any time soon.
post #280 of 560 Old 08-12-2010, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzener View Post

Err...I just spoke with Fluid Digital and e-mailed Cannon PC. Both claim that Zones can't possibly have them in stock as they have been communicating with Ceton's president directly. Everyone got shipments which they are sending to people who ordered Mar/Apr.

Cannon tells me, "We anticipate that ordered placed today will be filled the 2nd or 3rd week in September."

I'll be curious what happens to your order at Zones.
post #281 of 560 Old 08-12-2010, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Zones has them in stock, but for pre-order shipments only. I received my shipment notification this morning from Zones and the FedEx tracking number already shows it's enroute and scheduled for delivery tomorrow.
post #282 of 560 Old 08-12-2010, 10:00 AM

Just got mine delivered to the door, will be posting pics of the card installed very soon....

Stay tuned for a new thread.
post #283 of 560 Old 08-12-2010, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Zones has been removed from the Ceton site as a vendor:

http://www.cetoncorp.com/buy.php

Given that I ordered from Zones on 3/15, before any other option existed, I am not pleased that the latter vendors will ship cards before Zones ships mine (no status from Zones on when that might be). Ceton promised that would not happen, but it now appears Ceton blames Zones for the foul-up, and that Ceton may be justified in so doing...

A.L.a.E.o.t.U.S., as proven 3/21 - never forget.
Defend liberty.
Knowledge isn't Truth; it's just mindless agreement.
post #284 of 560 Old 08-12-2010, 11:57 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAM4UK View Post

Zones has been removed from the Ceton site as a vendor:

http://www.cetoncorp.com/buy.php

Given that I ordered from Zones on 3/15, before any other option existed, I am not pleased that the latter vendors will ship cards before Zones ships mine (no status from Zones on when that might be). Ceton promised that would not happen, but it now appears Ceton blames Zones for the foul-up, and that Ceton may be justified in so doing...

If the screw up was caused by the Microsoft orders and Ceton didn't know about those orders, then the fault is at Zones. If Ceton did know about the Microsoft orders and gave Cannon and Fluid some cards knowing full well that Zones wouldn't be able to fill the orders that were placed before Cannon and Fluid came on board, then the fault is Ceton's. My gut is saying that the screw up is at Zones, but that's not exactly definitive. Hopefully the truth will be told so any anger can be sent in the proper direction (what appears to be dropping Zones as a vendor probably says something).

Those who ordered at Zones before Cannon and Fluid came on board and don't get their cards in this first batch have every right in the world to be furious about it. Jeremy assured people just a few days ago that ALL Zones orders prior to 3/17 would be filled in this first batch and has been saying all along that orders would be filled in the order they were placed (with the obvious caveat that one vendor might actually get the cards boxed, shipped, and delivered to people more quickly than another).

It's definitely looking more and more like something went wrong with the Zones / Ceton relationship and things are going to get ugly on The Green Button forums. Personally, if I fell into the group that ordered at Zones before 3/17 and didn't get a card shipped to me in this first batch, I'd cancel my order and order one from Cannon even if it ultimately means a longer wait. Fortunately for me, I've got a tracking number from Zones (ordered late on the first day) and my card is scheduled to arrive tomorrow.

I really feel bad for the people who stuck with Zones to keep their place in line and appear to be getting screwed by doing so.
post #285 of 560 Old 08-12-2010, 12:44 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Just in passing...

I pre-ordered my Ceton card from CannonPC on April 16.

After leaving several voice messages, I finally heard back from Greg [Cannon] yesterday and he said I would not be getting my card from the first batch they were to receive (today, actually) because of the pre-orders in front of mine.

I asked him where I stood on the pre-order list, and he said there were about 450 in front of me.

However he felt confident that my order would be filled by their second batch of cards arriving from India, expected to arrive soon (within the next week or two).
post #286 of 560 Old 08-12-2010, 11:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, I spoke to a Zones representative, she said the "In Stock" was just the 900 cards they got... for pre orders. Booo!!! I told them that was a cruel joke, and quickly canceled my order. Oh well, I knew it was to good to be true. Doesn't hurt to try.
post #287 of 560 Old 08-13-2010, 12:47 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
And, as expected, they start popping up on Ebay @ a premium

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-box-in-hand-...efaultDomain_0
post #288 of 560 Old 08-13-2010, 04:52 AM

Had I been smart, I would have preordered two and one would be available on ebay to help pay for the other. I suspect it will sell for close to $600.
post #289 of 560 Old 08-13-2010, 05:04 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmservo View Post

And, as expected, they start popping up on Ebay @ a premium

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-box-in-hand-...efaultDomain_0

I chuckled when I looked at the enlarged picture and the description that says "A brand new in box (still sealed)". The enlarged picture clearly shows that the box has been opened. I imagine (hope) the seller means that the static bag the card comes in is still sealed.
post #290 of 560 Old 08-13-2010, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

Had I been smart, I would have preordered two and one would be available on ebay to help pay for the other. I suspect it will sell for close to $600.

It's at $510 now and the reserve is still not met.
post #291 of 560 Old 08-13-2010, 04:13 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Here's something that was posted over at The Green Button earlier today that a few of you may find useful:

Tuner Salad

I think I now need to order a 2nd Ceton card for the PC...
post #292 of 560 Old 08-13-2010, 10:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_CoxPHX View Post

Does anyone know what the tuning frequency range is for the Ceton InfiniTV 4?

FYI: Email from Ceton
We don't have a detailed specs than what are available on our web site but I can tell you that the Ceton InfiniTV 4 has been certified by CableLabs up to 1 GHz. In fact it was the first CableCARD product certified for 1 GHz cable plants. It supports all cable channels, from unencrypted basic cable channels up through premium channels like HBO HD, Showtime, HD, etc.

TiVo Roamio Pro, Premiere XL4, Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS, TiVo Mini
Win7 WMC SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime, Cisco Tuning Adapter Status Troubleshooting
post #293 of 560 Old 08-14-2010, 03:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post

Just to point out what some may or may not be aware of...

The xBox 360 is certainly a valid "extender" that there is. In fact it will work fine as a valid Media Center Extender (to deliver both live and recorded TV of both copy-once and copy-freely content to a remote HDTV from the HTPC) and provide all else you want from the 360 as well.

However it makes noise, uses electricity, and generates heat. I call it an "active extender".

In contrast, there are "passive extenders" which provide lesser but adequate capability as a valid Media Center Extender... such as the Linksys DMA2100 (of which I bought two), which are no longer made by Linksys/Cisco but which can still be purchased (and are actually still supported by Cisco).

The DMA2100 is small, silent, generates essentially zero heat, and uses almost no electricity. And it works just fine for my needs... namely to be a valid Media Center Extender.

There are other similar "passive extenders", and I even learned there are some "smart HDTV's" with built-in Media Center Extender capability built into them, so that you need nothing more than a network connection to the HTPC to have full service from the HTPC with no other hardware involved.

So, you have to buy the card at somewhere near 400, then buy extenders at the cost of around $120 (at least the Linksys DMA2100 is this price), one for each TV assuming you use the Ceton card in a server (which is what I'd do). For my setup, I'd need two extenders for a cost of 650. I can see the benefit this would have, but it still seems like quite a hurdle, especially to convince the wife to spend that type of money on something to watch TV.

Bob
post #294 of 560 Old 08-14-2010, 04:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

Here's something that was posted over at The Green Button earlier today that a few of you may find useful:

Tuner Salad

I think I now need to order a 2nd Ceton card for the PC...

I saw that posted at the Missing Remote last night. My Ceton card just arrived yesterday (ordered 3/13/10 from Zones) but I may have to think about getting a 2nd one now that I know I can have more than four cable tuners. I'm going to be sharing them with family members via extenders but it's probably going to turn into a battle during prime time if I try and record more than two cable channels at once on my HTPC. Either that or I'll just wait for the SD HDHomeRun Prime to be released and then swap out the extenders with individual HTPCs. I've got a Dell Zino HD and an Acer Revo that could be drafted for duty. The Zino is already in use in my son's room but I was planning on getting rid of the FIOS STB and replace it with an extender. If I get the HDHR then I get eliminate the extender altogether.
post #295 of 560 Old 08-14-2010, 05:03 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctviggen View Post

So, you have to buy the card at somewhere near 400, then buy extenders at the cost of around $120 (at least the Linksys DMA2100 is this price), one for each TV assuming you use the Ceton card in a server (which is what I'd do). For my setup, I'd need two extenders for a cost of 650. I can see the benefit this would have, but it still seems like quite a hurdle, especially to convince the wife to spend that type of money on something to watch TV.

In my case, where I currently have both DirectTV and TWC, my plan is to eliminate DirectTV once the Ceton card finally arrives and goes into the HTPC. And my two DMA2100's cost more like $160 each. The extenders are required to receive copy-once content at the remote HDTV's. If you are willing to accept only copy-freely content you can send it to just another Win7 PC (if you have one) and don't need an extender. However I'm sure everyone will be using extenders... either the relatively inexpensive Linksys kind or the more powerful (and expensive) xBox kind.

So, cash outlay for me is $720. Savings is $85/month for DirectTV, plus another $18/month saved for the one TWC DVR I'm giving back (I'm actually keeping my second DVR, in order to support offloading HDTV to DVHS tape when I want). New outlay is about $3/month for the one M-card required by the Ceton. Will take me about 7-8 months to move into the black.

But the new arrangement will give me "record once, on the HTPC, and watch anywhere in my house... either at remote HDTVs or remote SD TVs (e.g. in the kitchen)". This total-house flexibility (e.g. start watching in one room, and continue watching in any other room) is something I've wanted forever and which is why I'm really going forward with this project. And I don't have to split my recording schedule by particular DVR, and then have to watch that DVR's shows on that DVR/HDTV. I can just record everything in one place, and watch anything anywhere.

This is "priceless" to me.
post #296 of 560 Old 08-14-2010, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Extenders are around $110 on ebay, just search for HP x280N.
post #297 of 560 Old 08-14-2010, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladd View Post

It's at $510 now and the reserve is still not met.

It is now sitting at $600 bid and has over a day left...STILL has not met the reserve though!

Tempted to put the one I have up for sale...

....nah! I want it!
post #298 of 560 Old 08-14-2010, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It is now sitting at $600 bid and has over a day left...STILL has not met the reserve though!

He got greedy I guess. Yesterday there were 3 others with $600 as the buy it now price and they are already gone. I hope he makes the reserve just so I can see where he set it.

Quote:

Tempted to put the one I have up for sale...

....nah! I want it!

Don't you just hate conundrums?
post #299 of 560 Old 08-14-2010, 12:35 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

I think it's just a bit sad that there's more discussion of the ebay auctions than Tuner Salad...
post #300 of 560 Old 08-14-2010, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Has anyone tested tuner salad yet? I'm unable to test it for the next few days.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page