cetons quad cablecard tuner for media center available for pre order - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 560 Old 03-13-2010, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
http://hd.engadget.com/2010/03/13/ce...lable-for-pre/

I just saw this and I know a lot of people have been waiting.

The bad news is that ship date for the InfiniTV 4 is now May 31st.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 560 Old 03-13-2010, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
At $400 it will remain a niche product. Cable company DVR's are too heavily subsidized to get most people to switch over.
post #3 of 560 Old 03-13-2010, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Wish I could get the 2-tuner version. Unless this can coexist with two other (HDhomerun) tuners...? Thought there was a 4-tuner maximum in Win7 without some elusive OEM software tweak...

I do not speak officially in any sense for
Intel Corp., Technology Manufacturing Group
but I do work there.
post #4 of 560 Old 03-13-2010, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I cant imagine actually needing 4. I see people do it all the time though. I just dont like TV that much. I can barely think of 10 shows that I borderline like and of those only like 6 are worth taping.
post #5 of 560 Old 03-13-2010, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archibael View Post

Wish I could get the 2-tuner version. Unless this can coexist with two other (HDhomerun) tuners...? Thought there was a 4-tuner maximum in Win7 without some elusive OEM software tweak...

the limitation is 4 tuners of each type...CableCard/QAM/ATSC/NTSC

I can see using a 2 tuner card, but not 4 or 6...most of my recording is not even encrypted.

I use a dual QAM Avermedia and the ATI tuner. Works great for me.
post #6 of 560 Old 03-13-2010, 08:28 AM

Liked: 147
Thanks for the heads up! I am on their mailing list but they did not send me anything.

I want the 4 tuner cablecard tuner. I watch a lot of shows which appear back to back. Media Center likes to record a little before and a little after each show, to make sure you do not miss any of the show if someone's clock is a little off.

Due to the extra time, the start of some shows appear at the end of other shows. Not always, Win 7 is MUCH better at not doing that when the shows are back to back on the same channel than previous versions were.

But if I watch only two channels, but two shows back to back on each channel, I need 4 tuners to ensure I get 100% of each show recorded.

That is why I want it. It also gives extra flexability which may never be needed. My car can go over the speed limit...I may never do it, but I am glad it is there incase I need to some time for whatever reason.

EDIT: It is not for sale or preorder yet, at least not from Ceton Corp.:

Quote:

Availability
The Ceton Digital Cable Quad-Tuner Card will be available for sale by March 31, 2010. Check back here for details on retailer availability.

http://cetoncorp.com/buy.php

That is why I did not receive an email. If you want to preorder it, you need to buy it from some third party website for $80 over MSRP. No thanks.
post #7 of 560 Old 03-13-2010, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

How do you get 7MC to use 2 tuners for the overlap on shows when recording the same channel? My recording normally end up with a minute of one show on the next same channel recording. 7MC doesn't use the unused tuner to record the extar minutes of each show. This is annoying since networks now feel the need to put the end of one show and the start of the next back to back with no break in between.
post #8 of 560 Old 03-13-2010, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 39
May be I'm confused, but there IS a setting in Media Center that controls when recordings start and stop. I usually set mine to "On time" and Windows 7 has been pretty good about honoring that setting. There's very rare occasions when it gets confused, and you get a "No tuners available" message, but it immediately picks up (automatically) in a few seconds and starts recording.
post #9 of 560 Old 03-13-2010, 09:03 AM
Advanced Member

Man, May 31 - another 2 1/2 months of putting up with (and paying for) Comcast's crappy DVR with tiny hard drive and horrid interface. I don't see any reason to preorder, especially from some random hardware provider charging $80 extra; it's not like these things will be rare and sell out instantly, not the 4-tuner one at least.

"Playing this game is like having your eyes slit open with straight razors, filled with baby spider eggs, then re-sealed, and then being treated to the sensation of hundreds of tiny, venemous little arachnids bursting into being behind your pupils, consuming everything they can touch, and feeling...
post #10 of 560 Old 03-13-2010, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Kapone every thursday I tape the NBC lineup with community, parks and rec, the office and 30 rock. With it set to record on time it doesnt start on time and starts several minutes late. Then it doesnt fit all of the first show and it overlaps onto the 2nd and on down the line. In order to record all of 30 rock I would need to tape whatever is on after that because it always cuts it off. It sucks. I was told this is intentional and its not really the tuners fault rather its the network purposely doing this so its harder to tape and forces you to watch commercials. Really sucks too. I usually end up over at that one site that manages to do it right where you can actually watch the entire show with no commercials. Sucks I am not only paying for cable but an expensive tuner/recorder (hauppage 2250) and I still cant just watch my favorite shows. Its much easier to just wait until the next day when they are on my desktop. I seriously have not seen the end of a 30 rock in a long time except the ones I get from that one site.
post #11 of 560 Old 03-13-2010, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

With it set to record on time it doesnt start on time and starts several minutes late

That should NOT be happening. There may be a minor (few seconds) delay on rare occasions, but "minutes" should not be happening. I have been running MC pretty much since the 2005 days, and the MC in Windows 7 is so much more better at these things.

Something's gotta be funky in your configuration. Driver conflicts? drive issues? too many things running?

Edit: FYI, On several days (like thursdays) I have several back to back recordings on MULTIPLE channels at the same time, and WMC has yet to disappoint me.
post #12 of 560 Old 03-13-2010, 10:29 AM
Advanced Member

According to Engadget, all four tuners have to be locked to one PC. This is a major bummer and a deal breaker. Even with network sharing of tuners, this means a remote network PC will either get all four tuners or none.
post #13 of 560 Old 03-13-2010, 10:42 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinqian View Post

According to Engadget, all four tuners have to be locked to one PC. This is a major bummer and a deal breaker. Even with network sharing of tuners, this means a remote network PC will either get all four tuners or none.

agree, this is very disappointing, hard to justify cost now
post #14 of 560 Old 03-13-2010, 12:40 PM

Quote:

http://cetoncorp.com/buy.php

That is why I did not receive an email. If you want to preorder it, you need to buy it from some third party website for $80 over MSRP. No thanks

Ceton added a note about the price.

Quote:

Click here to place your order on Zones.com at $399.
(NOTE: The current price on Zones.com is incorrect. We are in the process of fixing it, thank you for your patience)

post #15 of 560 Old 03-13-2010, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelan View Post

This stinks. I don't know what I'll do now.

Affable Nitwit
post #16 of 560 Old 03-13-2010, 01:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawguy View Post

This stinks. I don't know what I'll do now.

Personally, I think it pushes me to getting the HDhomerun cable card tuner. Even though it's only 2 tuners, I already have their 2 tuner QAM version which should be sufficient to me.

I"m as much interested in using HTPCs/Extenders for LiveTV all around the house replacing all the cable boxes, and the HDHomerun network model serves that need perfectly.
post #17 of 560 Old 03-13-2010, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

According to Engadget, all four tuners have to be locked to one PC.

Does this mean that the .wtv recordings are also locked to that PC? ie, DRM.
post #18 of 560 Old 03-13-2010, 02:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grittree View Post

Yup, that was always there before.

I just saw a post by a Ceton employee stating that the network sharing limitation is due to CableCard specs, not Ceton's own doing. If so, then SiliconDust will be subject to the same exact limitation, negating any benefits from the network tuner concept and a huge step back for them.

http://hd.engadget.com/2010/03/13/ce...ents/26212922/
post #19 of 560 Old 03-13-2010, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yup, that was always there before.

I just saw a post by a Ceton employee stating that the network sharing limitation is due to CableCard specs, not Ceton's own doing. If so, then SiliconDust will be subject to the same exact limitation, negating any benefits from the network tuner concept and a huge step back for them.

http://hd.engadget.com/2010/03/13/ce...ents/26212922/

This was inevitable. Cablelabs does NOT want the "pure" streams being flung around a network. It's much more difficult to snoop the PCI/USB bus, than it is to snoop a network.
post #20 of 560 Old 03-13-2010, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
So we will be unable to edit any recordings we make?
post #21 of 560 Old 03-13-2010, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've recorded television with my ATI digital cable tuner w/cablecard on my HTPC, and I can watch those shows on all of my Windows 7 computers in 7MC without any troubles (automatically archived/shared with my WHS). I would expect the same when my InfiniTV arrives in the first week of June.
post #22 of 560 Old 03-13-2010, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So we will be unable to edit any recordings we make?

Nope. But that was what was before, nothing has changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kegobeer View Post

I've recorded television with my ATI digital cable tuner w/cablecard on my HTPC, and I can watch those shows on all of my Windows 7 computers in 7MC without any troubles (automatically archived/shared with my WHS). I would expect the same when my InfiniTV arrives in the first week of June.

You can watch all of the unecrypted recordings on your other HTPCs. Try recording HBO and see if you can watch it on other HTPCs...
post #23 of 560 Old 03-13-2010, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

btw, I'd give away my first born (who isn't born yet... ) if Microsoft ever released a software extender (and hopefully not cripple it).....
post #24 of 560 Old 03-13-2010, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Servicetech571 View Post

How do you get 7MC to use 2 tuners for the overlap on shows when recording the same channel? My recording normally end up with a minute of one show on the next same channel recording. 7MC doesn't use the unused tuner to record the extar minutes of each show. This is annoying since networks now feel the need to put the end of one show and the start of the next back to back with no break in between.

You'd need to go into the series settings for every recording you want to do this with and change the stop setting to an option that doesn't include the "when possible". So if you set it to 5 minutes, make sure it says "5 minutes after" and not "5 minutes after, when possible."

This will force MC to continue recording. But, if you don't have enough tuners, then the next program won't start at all or be at least 5 minutes delayed (I haven't tested to see which would occur. I suspect it wouldn't record at all and you'd get a conflict notice). Or the first recording wouldn't record at all because the second recording has a higher priority rating.
post #25 of 560 Old 03-13-2010, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapone View Post

You can watch all of the unecrypted recordings on your other HTPCs. Try recording HBO and see if you can watch it on other HTPCs...

True. Sorry about that; I should have been more specific.
post #26 of 560 Old 03-13-2010, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelan View Post

Only option to share is a Media Extender, and then the only real option is the Xbox 360, which is severely limited in non-TV media.
post #27 of 560 Old 03-13-2010, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapone View Post

Nope. But that was what was before, nothing has changed.

Plus you never know when a network or show will activate the copy once feature and you can no longer watch what you used to be able to watch on other PCs. Pretty big chance with a large investment where you have no control on how it might change.
post #28 of 560 Old 03-13-2010, 03:06 PM
Advanced Member

I'm having a constructive dialog with the folks at SiliconDust regarding their upcoming cablecard HDHR. Seems to have similar limitations in terms of network sharing:

http://www.silicondust.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=44623
post #29 of 560 Old 03-13-2010, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Servicetech571 View Post

I have not had it not use the other tuner...it always uses a free tuner when the first tuner is in use.
post #30 of 560 Old 03-13-2010, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hendermd View Post

Ceton added a note about the price.

Awsome, thanks!

EDIT: They fixed the price, preoder set!
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page