post #391 of 1609 Old 04-04-2010, 11:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlnl View Post

CyberlinkUSA
And does PowerDVD 10 support inverse telecine transform for HD film content (1080i59.94 --> 1080p23.976)?

I'm not sure that I understand the question. Blu-ray allows for 1080P24, so inverse telecine isn't necessary.

Tom
Cyberlink
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 1609 Old 04-05-2010, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberlinkUSA View Post

I'm not sure that I understand the question. Blu-ray allows for 1080P24, so inverse telecine isn't necessary.

Tom
Cyberlink

Some BluRays have 1080i59 video stream (http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/A-Hard...-Blu-ray/6564/) originated from film content.
And what about SD film content? Does PowerDVD support inverse telecine 480i59.94--> 480p23.976 and 576i50-->576p25?
post #393 of 1609 Old 04-05-2010, 12:56 AM

Any idea?
PowerDVD 10 is not working properly with DVD´s and they stutter so badly that they are non watchable. Blu-ray movies play flawless.

Tried with both of my machines, i7 & HD5K series ATI cards, Catalyst 10.3.

Weirdest **** always happen to me or my dogs.
For some reason or not.
post #394 of 1609 Old 04-05-2010, 02:33 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Quote:

Some BluRays have 1080i59 video stream (http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/A-Hard...-Blu-ray/6564/) originated from film content.
And what about SD film content? Does PowerDVD support inverse telecine 480i59.94--> 480p23.976 and 576i50-->576p25?

It supports inverse telecine (HD or SD) fine as long as you use a good graphics card (Radeon HD 4550/GeForce GT 220 or higher). I tested with HD/SD HQV Benchmark.

It's the GPU that does inverse telecine (and there is no software solution that passes HQV).
post #395 of 1609 Old 04-05-2010, 03:27 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by BulldogPO View Post

Any idea?
PowerDVD 10 is not working properly with DVD´s and they stutter so badly that they are non watchable. Blu-ray movies play flawless.

i noticed last night that i am unable to activate hardware acceleration with DVD's while blurays work great. this may be the cause of your problem...
post #396 of 1609 Old 04-05-2010, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post

It supports inverse telecine (HD or SD) fine as long as you use a good graphics card (Radeon HD 4550/GeForce GT 220 or higher). I tested with HD/SD HQV Benchmark.

It's the GPU that does inverse telecine (and there is no software solution that passes HQV).

So it can detect film or pure video in 1080i59.94 video and output 1080p23 or 1080p59 respectively automatically changing display refresh rate to 23.976 or 59.94 khz respectively?
post #397 of 1609 Old 04-05-2010, 06:00 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

So it can detect film or pure video in 1080i59.94 video and output 1080p23 or 1080p59 respectively automatically changing display refresh rate to 23.976 or 59.94 khz respectively?

It (actually the graphics driver/hardware) detects film or video automatically in 480i/1080i59.94 video, deinterlaces fields accordingly and puts 23.976 or 59.94 (edited) frames per second in the frame buffer. As long as the video decoder supports DXVA (PowerDVD 7.3/8/9/10, TMT2/3, MPC Video Decoder [hence ffdshow DXVA Video Decoder], Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder etc.), it can do that automatically with a good GPU.

Automatic changing display refresh rate is another matter. PowerDVD can't do that unfortunately. ReClock with a VB script can do that. A couple of free players (MPC HomeCinema, MediaPortal etc.) can do that without ReClock.
post #398 of 1609 Old 04-05-2010, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post

does Fermi support bitstreaming? IOW, is there PAP on Fermi cards? If not, does it at least do 7.1 LPCM?

I found a partial answer from nVidia, but don't understand if "7.1 digital surround sound" means compressed bitstreaming or just LPCM bitstreaming.
post #399 of 1609 Old 04-05-2010, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike5 View Post

I found a partial answer from nVidia, but don't understand if "7.1 digital surround sound" means compressed bitstreaming or just LPCM bitstreaming.

Well that's at least better than previous cards. We'll have to wait and see what support players provide for the Fermi cards to know what they're truly capable of. Even if they do support PAP, it still requires player support in order to utilize it. But, that's at least promising.
post #400 of 1609 Old 04-05-2010, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BulldogPO View Post

Any idea?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcantu1 View Post

i noticed last night that i am unable to activate hardware acceleration with DVD's while blurays work great. this may be the cause of your problem...

This probably isn't Bulldog's issue, though. An i7 would be more than capable of running all the PowerDVD 10 HD upscaling features for DVDs (which forces HW acceleration to turn off when any of these features are activated, which is probably why yours is greyed out).

Bulldog,
To test, make sure all of the HD upscaling features are turned off. Everything in the video section should be 'off'. See if that helps. You should also then be able to turn on hardware acceleration. If this works, then you can turn one feature on at a time to determine which one is causing the issue.
post #401 of 1609 Old 04-05-2010, 09:16 AM

Ok, I upgraded to PowerDVD 10 thinking that would finally get me Bitstreaming with my GA-E7AUM-DSH2 motherboard. When it didn't I went back and checked the Cyberlink site and realized the ALC889 does work but only 2 channel.

So before I waste anymore money I want to make sure that if I purchase an ATI HD 5450 that I will get Bitstreaming.

Anyone tried this or have comments?
post #402 of 1609 Old 04-05-2010, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

It will bitstream with an ATI 5xxx. Where you may run into issues is with the ATI drivers and the EDID code from your receiver. I'd search the official ATI 5xxx thread here in these forums for your receiver to see if anyone has posted and if not then ask if anyone has got it working with your model. Many people have successfully gotten their receiver to work by manually editing the EDID. It is discussed in the thread I mentioned.
post #403 of 1609 Old 04-05-2010, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMD61 View Post

Problems playing DVDs from hard drive

1 - can not playback directly from Windows Explorer (Video_TS.IFO)

and I notice this message

2- If you play back the internal browser, the screen is framed by the skin

What makes me angry is that with PowerDVD 9 do not have this problem

this is a feature i don't like eather.
when i watch a movie from HDD in pdvd9 in fullscreen then i watch in fullscreen and don't have this anoying frame around.
in PDVD10 they somehow think that fullscreen means you have to watch all those stop, pause, FF etc. buttons and other features. it annoyes me very much. i don't like. there goes my money again. just for this i'm already going back to pdvd 9 (which also gives me problems now and then).

i suggest they should remove this when you watch fullscreen, thats the whole point of watching fullscreen, only the movie on screen and nothing else.

montecristo
post #404 of 1609 Old 04-05-2010, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

I would think the menu should hide no matter what screen mode you are in when there is no keyboard/mouse activity. I definitely won't consider upgrading from 9 with the possibility of this glitch. It happens to me in 9 sometimes as well, I'm just able to resolve it by getting the mouse out and going between fullscreen and windowed a few times.
post #405 of 1609 Old 04-05-2010, 10:00 AM

Quote:

It (actually the graphics driver/hardware) detects film or video automatically in 480i/1080i59.94 video, deinterlaces fields accordingly and puts 23.976 or 29.97 frames per second in the frame buffer. As long as the video decoder supports DXVA (PowerDVD 7.3/8/9/10, TMT2/3, MPC Video Decoder [hence ffdshow DXVA Video Decoder], Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder etc.), it can do that automatically with a good GPU.

Automatic changing display refresh rate is another matter. PowerDVD can't do that unfortunately. ReClock with a VB script can do that. A couple of free players (MPC HomeCinema, MediaPortal etc.) can do that without ReClock.

I think it puts 23.976 (film) or 59.94 (pure video) frames.
DXVA Checker reports that my Nvidia 9400 does not support inverse telecine (Dxva API) .
Can we activate inverse telecine using MPC HC + PowerDVD video decoder?
post #406 of 1609 Old 04-05-2010, 10:33 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I think it puts 23.976 (film) or 59.94 (pure video) frames.
DXVA Checker reports that my Nvidia 9400 does not support inverse telecine (Dxva API) .
Can we activate inverse telecine using MPC HC + PowerDVD video decoder?

Yup, you are absolutely right, once video-based 1080i59.94 is deinterlaced, the progressive video streams are 59.94 frames per second.

You can use PowerDVD Video Decoder with DXVA (so vector adaptive deinterlacing [for ATI >= HD 4670], inverse telecine, GPU upscaling etc. all work) with any DirectShow player without problems.
post #407 of 1609 Old 04-05-2010, 12:35 PM

Tom,

i dont know if you saw this mentioned above but i am unable to turn on hardware acceleration when playing a standard dvd. the option is greyed out and if you set it before you play the disk, it unselects itself...
post #408 of 1609 Old 04-05-2010, 01:02 PM

Quote:

You can use PowerDVD Video Decoder with DXVA (so vector adaptive deinterlacing [for ATI >= HD 4670], inverse telecine, GPU upscaling etc. all work) with any DirectShow player without problems.

I have the PowerDVD 10 video decoder selected as an external filter in MPC-HC (set to prefer), but it doesn't seem to be using DXVA. Do I have enable something within the player or drivers, or is MPC-HC not a directshow player. Apologies if these are noob questions.
post #409 of 1609 Old 04-05-2010, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1212 View Post

I have the PowerDVD 10 video decoder selected as an external filter in MPC-HC (set to prefer), but it doesn't seem to be using DXVA. Do I have enable something within the player or drivers, or is MPC-HC not a directshow player. Apologies if these are noob questions.

By default, DXVA is not enabled. You have to enable it by going to the filter properties. Of course your GPU has to support it too.
post #410 of 1609 Old 04-05-2010, 05:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrwalte View Post

I would think the menu should hide no matter what screen mode you are in when there is no keyboard/mouse activity. I definitely won't consider upgrading from 9 with the possibility of this glitch. It happens to me in 9 sometimes as well, I'm just able to resolve it by getting the mouse out and going between fullscreen and windowed a few times.

The menu hides, its not on the screen all the time. If it doesn't go away by itself, then I just click the mouse once and then it will. I wouldn't watch anything if the menu stayed on.
post #411 of 1609 Old 04-05-2010, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrwalte View Post

This probably isn't Bulldog's issue, though. An i7 would be more than capable of running all the PowerDVD 10 HD upscaling features for DVDs (which forces HW acceleration to turn off when any of these features are activated, which is probably why yours is greyed out).

Bulldog,
To test, make sure all of the HD upscaling features are turned off. Everything in the video section should be 'off'. See if that helps. You should also then be able to turn on hardware acceleration. If this works, then you can turn one feature on at a time to determine which one is causing the issue.

Tried with hardware acceleration on and off no change.
Very jerky playback on DVD´s

Finer specs of system:
Intel Xeon L6540@19x200MHz HT on (low voltage 32nm hexacore ES)
Gigabyte EX58-UD5
G.Skill 3x2GB DDR3
ATI Radeon HD5850
Pioneer S-ATA BDROM/DVDRW drive
2x1TB Drives
64GB Kingston SSD
750W Corsair TX PSU
All watercooled and installed in Antec Fusion MAX HTPC case
Windows 7 X64 Ultimate

Very powerful for HTPC but I use it for WCG crunching 24/7 and gaming.

Weirdest **** always happen to me or my dogs.
For some reason or not.
post #412 of 1609 Old 04-05-2010, 11:59 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I may be the exception to the rule on this forum. My HTPC is geared almost entirely toward WAF (for those that don't know: Wife Acceptance Factor). My Media Center boots up into W7MC, and stays there. Multiple tuners and it stays out of the way. When she wants to watch TV, the tuners kick in. When she wants to see a Blueray, we have an Oppo83 she can use. I openly admit I make accessible BD which I've replaced or fear to replace (you have small kids and figure out how fragile discs are!) But, I can deal.

To this point, I've used FFDShow/x64/x32 for almost all of my purposes. It's suited me well.

Then again, DVD playback off the Oppo is incredibly higher quality then off the media center. Just a fact. And, no offense to Cyberlink, but I don't think there is much they can do to convert that.

However, part of the greatness of a setup like I run is that I archive -a ton- of TV. I mean -a ton- of TV. Thanks to Windows Home Server, and it's TV archiving options (built in and provided by MS, so there..) I store a big ole mess of it.

One thing I've discovered though is that despite my enjoyment of the MCE, the CODECs often suck. Even with FFDShow tweaked, performance still isn't what I'd want.

PowerDVD10 could be a good option here. But there are a few big issues:

(1) It's great it has it's own interface. But for people like me, we need that to dissappear. What we want is a seemless integration of the CODECs into Mediacenter, so that the codecs and functions can be setup and used without the user being aware everywhere.. from MCE Movie Library to MCE Videos. If Cyberlink provides this, and it's a picture quality improvement with MPEG2 and H264, I am absolutely there.

(2) I understand and respect the concerns with playing BD from a folder or from an ISO. Those are both understandable interpretation of the studio guidelines, and while members reasonably may not like it, I get it. It is what it is. However, the ability to play and intepret M2TS and MKV are important. It appears we've made some progress there. That's great. I store all of my "best" in those formats. If the Cyberlink CODEC is available using "Video Library" etc. functionality within W7MC, then I am happy.

(3) X64 support? I haven't seen this raised. Are there native X64 CODECs? Do they work as above (DXVA?)

(4) I'm using a ATI 5450. Fairly happy with it. I have a Denon 4806CI. I love that unit and am not in a giant rush to change. The sound quality for me is still incredible. And yes, it will handle 7.1... but only LPCM though it will take it via HDMI, so yes, decoded 7.1 would be a nice feature I would welcome.

Realize, the most significant impact of this for someone like me who is considering this product is our interest in it's functionality as something that can disappear within Media Center. No front ends, just complete control of CODECs that can be seemlessly managed without it having to be a chore.

The thing about something like FFD is that once I set it up, my wife never sees it again. She goes into "my videos" or pops in a DVD, and it goes .. no questions asked. If she needs to hop through another front end, then it's almost a lost cause I love my wife, but at that point, it's too easy to just say "piss on it" and pop something into the Oppo..
post #413 of 1609 Old 04-06-2010, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugen Paval View Post

"Cyberlink PowerDVD 10 is not optimized for this screen resolution and will now close"

Hiya

I've tried searching the forum before asking this question, but haven't seen it answered. Maybe I missed the reply.

I just "upgraded" to PowerDVD 10 Ultra and now get this error message.

I'm running Win 7 64 bit Ultimate on an i7 box.

Resolution 1920x1080 + 1200x1920

I was able to register the software by switching to just one monitor, but to work I need both of them running like this.
post #414 of 1609 Old 04-06-2010, 03:37 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmservo View Post

PowerDVD10 could be a good option here. But there are a few big issues:

(1) It's great it has it's own interface. But for people like me, we need that to dissappear. What we want is a seemless integration of the CODECs into Mediacenter, so that the codecs and functions can be setup and used without the user being aware everywhere.. from MCE Movie Library to MCE Videos. If Cyberlink provides this, and it's a picture quality improvement with MPEG2 and H264, I am absolutely there.

(2) I understand and respect the concerns with playing BD from a folder or from an ISO. Those are both understandable interpretation of the studio guidelines, and while members reasonably may not like it, I get it. It is what it is. However, the ability to play and intepret M2TS and MKV are important. It appears we've made some progress there. That's great. I store all of my "best" in those formats. If the Cyberlink CODEC is available using "Video Library" etc. functionality within W7MC, then I am happy.

(3) X64 support? I haven't seen this raised. Are there native X64 CODECs? Do they work as above (DXVA?)

(4) I'm using a ATI 5450. Fairly happy with it. I have a Denon 4806CI. I love that unit and am not in a giant rush to change. The sound quality for me is still incredible. And yes, it will handle 7.1... but only LPCM though it will take it via HDMI, so yes, decoded 7.1 would be a nice feature I would welcome.

If you are using Windows x64, you are surely out of luck. Otherwise I see no big issue in using the CyberLink Video Decoder (PDVD10) in 7MC. 7MC internal player + CyberLink Video Decoder (PDVD10) (for H.264/VC-1/MPEG-2 with DXVA) + ffdshow Audio Decoder (for HD audio bitstreaming) works fine (kind of ) in playing back MKV/M2TS. If you want chapter/subtitle support, ffdshow DXVA Video Decoder (for H.264/VC-1)/ffdshow Video Decoder (MPEG-2; possibly with AviSynth scripts) + Media Control is the only choice, however.
post #415 of 1609 Old 04-06-2010, 06:04 AM

Ah, that is how it always seems.. use X64 limits out the options Which is ridiculous, considering damn near everything ships the x64 version, and it's pointless to work with the 32bit anymore (IMHO).

I don't care about subtitle or chapter support. At all. Just looking for better "looking" DVD/H264 playback with easy integration into 7MC. I don't use pop-outs or called players via mediabrowser, etc.. I need to keep everything simple so that for the wife it's seemless. Right now, FFDShow takes care of all of that.

It just sounds like no one manages to handle this correctly at all , well, FFDShow does, and I'm OK with that
post #416 of 1609 Old 04-06-2010, 07:15 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmservo View Post

Ah, that is how it always seems.. use X64 limits out the options Which is ridiculous, considering damn near everything ships the x64 version, and it's pointless to work with the 32bit anymore (IMHO).

I don't care about subtitle or chapter support. At all. Just looking for better "looking" DVD/H264 playback with easy integration into 7MC. I don't use pop-outs or called players via mediabrowser, etc.. I need to keep everything simple so that for the wife it's seemless. Right now, FFDShow takes care of all of that.

It just sounds like no one manages to handle this correctly at all , well, FFDShow does, and I'm OK with that

If you want to leave all video processing to the graphics card (so called hardware acceleration; not just decoding, but deinterlacing, inverse telecine, resizing SD to HD etc.), there are good 64 bit video decoders supporting DXVA:

- H.264 & VC-1: MPC Video Decoder (x64) or ffdshow DXVA Video Decoder x64; generally better than Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder (H.264) or WMVideo Decoder DMO (VC-1).
- MPEG-2: Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder; good for both 1080i60 (TV recordings) and DVD upscaling.

To playback TV recordings, ffdshow Video Decoder is a bad choice as it can't deinterlace interlaced videos properly.

In 32 bit OS, you can use ArcSoft Video Decoder and CyberLink Video Decoder in addition to the 32 bit versions of the above. For a certain combination of GPU and video codec (e.g. Intel + VC-1), they may be better than MPC Video Decoder.
post #417 of 1609 Old 04-06-2010, 07:44 AM

Right now that's basically what I'm doing. I'm using DXVA FFDShow for X264 content (MKV), and VC1, and have had good success. I'm using MS's DTV-DVD for DVD upscaling, but to be honest, I'm not really all that happy with the results. It's a mixed bag. It could be worse, but it's certainly not great... as I stated, I have every expectation my Oppo will present a superior image, but the difference is so stark with traditional DVD that it's really a plummet.

I've screwed around with the FFDshow settings for other formats, but to be honest, the returns for most simply aren't worth the hastle, I find the DXVA encoder looks about as good as it gets, it seems. As said, I'm using a 5450, CCC 10.3, Phenom II 965BE.

Since I'm 64 bit, that seems to be the only real direction I've got. I'm certainly not going to downgrade to go back, so this is what it is. I'll assume somewhere down the line one of these manufacturers will catch up.

*shrug*. I'm not unhappy with the performance I have. It just appears far more likely that FFD is going to get to where I want to go. In regards to 3D Bluray.. look, I already wear glasses. I hate wearing freaking glasses. I did it for avatar.. cool. I suffered through TERRIBLE 3D in the theater for "Clash of the Titans" (talk about a suckfest), and while 3D content "may be the future" I'll wait for TVs that can do it holographically or something, because I'll be damned if I'm going to strap on glasses over my regular glasses all the time to watch a flick. 2D is perfectly fine for me

But the key supports needed to make a product like PowerDVD truly useful to the end user aren't future "3D Support" It's seemless integration into mediacenter. Let's face it, anyone who can "tweak" a product can easily find something else. Cyberlink should realize that the goal of their product should be out of the box simplicity, aimed at average joes who just want to install it and forget it. The product sounds like it doesn't come close to that yet.
post #418 of 1609 Old 04-06-2010, 12:49 PM

hello,

Can someone please help me with these two questions?

first, how do i make the fonts of a movie with an external Srt file smaller in power dvd 10 ultra?right now the fonts for external subtitle is too big

Second, "Enable ATI Stream" is grayed out for me. i have windows vista 64bit, and Ati 4830. i have already updated to the newest driver 10.3

thank you
post #419 of 1609 Old 04-06-2010, 03:17 PM

Am running Win7 32bit and just intalled PowerDVD 10. Works ok in Classic Mode but not in Cinema Mode. Everything appears to be ok, finds disc, option to resume, restart, but every time I try to play a BD I get the circle spinning for a few seconds then nothing happens.

Any clues?
post #420 of 1609 Old 04-07-2010, 07:03 AM

I just dowloaded PDVD 10. I am using it to watch Blu ray on my HTPC. How do I skip the previews? I hit info on my remote and the choices come up, but when I navigate to pop up menu and try to select, nothing happens.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page