post #61 of 1609 Old 03-19-2010, 12:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Tom
2 questions about PDVD 10
Can it play HD DVD ?
Can the H264 video decoder be used by third party application (ie DVB programs)
i would like to avoid to install PDVD 7 8 9 and 10 to play all my content !!
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 1609 Old 03-19-2010, 03:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
It does not play HD DVD. They dropped support for that in PDVD8.
post #63 of 1609 Old 03-19-2010, 04:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I think that its great that company representatives like Tom make themselves available on these forums. It is true that he first began posting here after all the troubles following the release of PDVD9 and he was not here to hawk any product.

It seemed in the past that Cyberlink was more interested in promoting features like Moovielive (that people here are not only not interested in but DON'T WANT) and less interested in the core features/stability of its products. I suppose that this is expected because the typical PDVD user probably watches movies on a laptop somewhere and doesn't care about the things we care about.

It seems like Cyberlink is trying to change things. People wanted folder support and other things and now we have them in some form. I say keep up the good work and continue to improve this product. People here care about things that work and easily forget there past problems. So, Cyberlink, "if you build it, they will come."

Affable Nitwit
post #64 of 1609 Old 03-19-2010, 05:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawguy View Post

I think that its great that company representatives like Tom make themselves available on these forums. It is true that he first began posting here after all the troubles following the release of PDVD9 and he was not here to hawk any product.

I don't think that is true. He appeared after Arcsoft began to promote and support their products actively in the forum. Then ppl started to ditch PDVD for TMT. That's when he showed up and I don't think it's a coincidence.
post #65 of 1609 Old 03-19-2010, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post

Purchasing PDVD8 is what got me to drop Cyberlink permanently.

Ok if Cyberlink wants to improve things does that mean that I won't have to suffer with a pop-up that says I need to upgrade then doesn't allow any BD playback at all if I cancel the upgrade pop-up? Forcing that kind of upgrade is just greedy and a nasty way to do business.

Is there going to be an option to NOT install MoovieLive?

Will it play folders from hard disk and my iso's?

When I upgrade will it just remove and break features or actually fix something.

Actually these are mostly rhetorical questions since I got ripped off once and it won't happen again.

Promoting new 3D vaporware is just a marketing gimmick so it appears to me that its business as usual. Rip 'em off now so the stockholders will benefit.

When marketing says it will be upgraded later to work with new 3D technologies I don't believe it. By then they'll be wanting to force you to upgrade to PDVD 11.

I might pay $25 to upgrade from PDVD8 to v10 but $60 is just too much. Exclusive savings of a whole $5 in the email I received is just an insult, pure and simple. NO THANK YOU!
post #66 of 1609 Old 03-19-2010, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathbone View Post

I don't think that is true. He appeared after Arcsoft began to promote and support their products actively in the forum. Then ppl started to ditch PDVD for TMT. That's when he showed up and I don't think it's a coincidence.

This is Tom's first post. It came right after PDVD9 was release and noone could get LPCM to work.

I returned my copy and got a refund.

Affable Nitwit
post #67 of 1609 Old 03-19-2010, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConradWS View Post

Purchasing PDVD8 is what got me to drop Cyberlink permanently.

Ok if Cyberlink wants to improve things does that mean that I won't have to suffer with a pop-up that says I need to upgrade then doesn't allow any BD playback at all if I cancel the upgrade pop-up? Forcing that kind of upgrade is just greedy and a nasty way to do business.

Is there going to be an option to NOT install MoovieLive?

Will it play folders from hard disk and my iso's?

When I upgrade will it just remove features or actually fix something.

Actually these are mostly rhetorical questions since I got ripped off once and it won't happen again.

Promoting new 3D vaporware is just a marketing gimmick so it appears to me that its business as usual. Rip 'em off now so the stockholders will benefit.

When marketing says it will be upgraded later to work with new 3D technologies I don't believe it. By then they'll be wanting to force you to upgrade to PDVD 11.

I'm not going to lie, PDVD8 left a REALLY bad taste in my mouth, as well. Cyberlink lost a lot of credibility with me with that release. PDVD was always my favorite player before PDVD8. Removing functionality in 7.3 didn't particularly sit well with me, either, but, PDVD8 was a real step down. PDVD9 was extremely bug ridden when I first bought it. I gave it 3 weeks and promptly returned it as it couldn't do basic things like LPCM in more than 2 channels. I repurchased PDVD9 in September when I got my 5870 in anticipation for bitstreaming. That worked out very well. By that point it had improved into a fairly mature product. However, that being said, this constant problem they have with playing new titles is a bit frustrating. AFAIK, without AnyDVD, it still can't play District 9 without shutting off BD Live. But for the most part as much as I complain about it, PDVD9 is a really solid player one you "configure it properly". (By that I mean hack the living hell out of it to remove moooooovie live). I'm not unhappy that I own PDVD9 and use it regularly for some things.

Why do I mention this? Because as much as we complain, Cyberlink DOES tend to improve their product over time. Sometimes, as was the case with 8, it actually got worse and worse over time, but, PDVD9 has steadily improved. I don't know where PDVD10 is going to fall. 3d is certainly a marketing initiative at this point for sure. Whether it plays out to become an integral and mature feature down the road is open for debate. I've said this before...don't buy a product based upon some future promised functionality, buy it based on what it can do today. For this reason I'm holding off on PDVD10 personally. If it offers something compelling for you then purchase it.

In your case, I think Cyberlink is going to have to work pretty hard to win you over. I can't say that some of the points you mention there are wrong. They are all things that annoy most of us.
post #68 of 1609 Old 03-19-2010, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This is Tom's first post. It came right after PDVD9 was release and noone could get LPCM to work.

Yeah, and Jason had already been hanging around for quite a long time already, I don't think it had much to do with Arcsoft.
post #69 of 1609 Old 03-19-2010, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Only "a few" of us did that. Nonetheless, the did fix those issues eventually. And having Tom here is a really good thing (tm) IMO. And he has done some real good for us and Cyberlink by being here. I disagree with the "corporate shill" claim. That's really disrespectful I think. He works for Cyberlink, so, clearly he's going to promote their products. But he's also willing to listen to us. And that's a real benefit to this community.
post #70 of 1609 Old 03-19-2010, 06:39 AM

The 3D function is only available for DVD!
post #71 of 1609 Old 03-19-2010, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMD61 View Post

That would be the "coming soon to a summer near you" part of the announcement. The rest is coming...eventually.
post #72 of 1609 Old 03-19-2010, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't think the 3D function can be called vaporware without unreasonably stretching the meaning though. It's out, and it already works with hardware that is readily available.
post #73 of 1609 Old 03-19-2010, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

I never used the term vaporware. I simply said it was coming this summer.

Quote:

* Notice of Free Mark II Upgrade
PowerDVD 10 Mark II: Consumers who purchase PowerDVD 10 Ultra 3D will receive a FREE UPGRADE that enables support
of the Blu-ray 3D format and 2D to 3D conversion of video files. Available this summer.

Whether it exists now or not is irrelevant, IMO. It's not available to anyone who purchases it before summer. I guess my question is this...if you're buying it for the 3d, why not wait until this summer when it's available and included with the purchase? If there are other reasons to upgrade NOW, then that's totally fine and completely understandable. But I think the big push here is 3d, right? Not a whole lot beyond that over PDVD9? My question is, why the rush to upgrade when the functionality that's being promoted isn't available to you yet? That's all I'm saying.
post #74 of 1609 Old 03-19-2010, 07:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Nagy View Post

Yes, "2012" Blu-ray disk. Several people from another thread actually opened the ticket to Cyberlink but no response.

For "2012", it goes as far as to the menu screen, but there are no buttons on menu screen like "Play Movie", "Languages", "Setup", etc. It loops splash screen continously but cannot start the movie.

Peter

Hi Peter,
Sorry for the slow response. I'll follow up with our PowerDVD team to make sure we find and fix this glitch.

Tom
Cyberlink
post #75 of 1609 Old 03-19-2010, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I never used the term vaporware. I simply said it was coming this summer.

Oh I didn't mean you. It was mentioned up in the conversation about it.
post #76 of 1609 Old 03-19-2010, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberlinkUSA View Post

Hi Peter,
Sorry for the slow response. I'll follow up with our PowerDVD team to make sure we find and fix this glitch.

Tom
Cyberlink

I just checked District 9. Looks like that was fixed in the last update. So that's great.
post #77 of 1609 Old 03-19-2010, 07:35 AM

Quote:

That would be the "coming soon to a summer near you" part of the announcement. The rest is coming...eventually.

This is good news.

Polarized 3D glasses compatible with PowerDVD 10 are the same as the movies produced by Real 3D?

http://www.reald.com/index.aspx
post #78 of 1609 Old 03-19-2010, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This is good news.

Polarized 3D glasses compatible with PowerDVD 10 are the same as the movies produced by Real 3D?

http://www.reald.com/index.aspx

That I don't know but Cyberlink is touting it as supporting "any" 3d standard, so, if you have the hardware support for it I believe PDVD10 will do it.
post #79 of 1609 Old 03-19-2010, 09:19 AM

Quote:

That I don't know but Cyberlink is touting it as supporting "any" 3d standard, so, if you have the hardware support for it I believe PDVD10 will do it.

Well. Then I try to remedy those used to the cinema to see Avatar
post #80 of 1609 Old 03-19-2010, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

We are only at the starting line with respect to 3D video. This is the first universal 3D video player in the world. The selection of content is minimal today, as there was no way to play the content until now. You can expect to see the selection of 3D clips grow as the installed base of 3D video capable PCs grows. A number of PC manufacturers have already announced 3D capable laptops and desktop systems, and there are nice 3D capable desktop monitors available today (Samsung, Acer and Alienware, for example). I'm looking forward to downloading high quality 3D movie trailers to preview movies in full 3D quality. Expect a good variety of independent 3D video to become available in the coming year as well. PowerDVD 10 supports these 3D videos today.

The 2D to 3D function is limited to DVDs at the moment (the primary use case for 2D to 3D... adding depth to your movies). Additional support for 2D to 3D from other video files will be added, along with Blu-ray 3D support in the Mark II release.

Tom
Cyberlink
post #81 of 1609 Old 03-19-2010, 09:23 AM

I decided to inaugurate a new skin

post #82 of 1609 Old 03-19-2010, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Yes... we are comfortable saying that PowerDVD 10 will support any 3D display system (display + glasses) that you choose. This includes polarized displays, as well as 120 Hz sequential frame displays with active LC shutter glasses.

Tom
Cyberlink
post #83 of 1609 Old 03-19-2010, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's not an accurate description of PowerDVD 10 today.

The current release of PowerDVD 10 supports playback of 3D video in a variety of formats (over/under, side by side, dual stream). For example, you can play clips that you can download from NVIDIA's 3D Vision site...
http://www.nvidia.com/object/3D_Vision_3D_Movies.html

We are only at the starting line with respect to 3D video. This is the first universal 3D video player in the world. The selection of content is minimal today, as there was no way to play the content until now. You can expect to see the selection of 3D clips grow as the installed base of 3D video capable PCs grows. A number of PC manufacturers have already announced 3D capable laptops and desktop systems, and there are nice 3D capable desktop monitors available today (Samsung, Acer and Alienware, for example). I'm looking forward to downloading high quality 3D movie trailers to preview movies in full 3D quality. Expect a good variety of independent 3D video to become available in the coming year as well. PowerDVD 10 supports these 3D videos today.

The 2D to 3D function is limited to DVDs at the moment (the primary use case for 2D to 3D... adding depth to your movies). Additional support for 2D to 3D from other video files will be added, along with Blu-ray 3D support in the Mark II release.

Tom
Cyberlink

When you say "from other video files" are you talking things like MKV? That could be interesting I suppose. You've mentioned tech from nVidia so far. Will you be supporting ATI's upcoming 3d tech, as well? The reason I'm not jazzed about nVidia's stuff (besides the fact that I shelled out a lot of money for the 5870 recently) is that nVidia doesn't do bitstreaming. And I see no indication that the Fermi cards are going to do it, either. A 3d laptop would be an interesting toy, though. I'm not yet sure if I'm going to be in the market for a new laptop this year or not. I have to wait and see on that one.
post #84 of 1609 Old 03-19-2010, 09:29 AM

Quote:

....The 2D to 3D function is limited to DVDs at the moment (the primary use case for 2D to 3D... adding depth to your movies). Additional support for 2D to 3D from other video files will be added, along with Blu-ray 3D support in the Mark II release...

Thank you for having explained this roadmap Cyberlink.
These statements do nothing but bring new enthusiasm among fans
post #85 of 1609 Old 03-19-2010, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes... we are comfortable saying that PowerDVD 10 will support any 3D display system (display + glasses) that you choose. This includes polarized displays, as well as 120 Hz sequential frame displays with active LC shutter glasses.

Tom
Cyberlink

I do see a lot of potential here *IF* the market for 3d grows. It's not useful without content. And no offense meant by this comment, but, automated 2d -> 3d is not going to be a driving force I don't think. That's not just for Cyberlink, I mean in general. I know the plan is for hollywood to take a bunch of stuff shot in 2d and effectively layer it using a similar algorithm that Cyberlink presumably is using. However, this gives objects a flat look against a layered background. It's actually kind of freaky. Things like Pixar movies can be re-rendered in 3d so that should work out ok. I know hollywood's got about 30+ 3d movies in production right now, so future content might be ok, too. But, even with all this, I'm not yet convince the mainstream movie watcher is going to invest in a short period of time. I'm all for adopting new tech when it makes sense. Right now, I'm not convinced 3d is going to make it. Still too early to tell on that one. I do applaud Cyberlink's effort to lead though.
post #86 of 1609 Old 03-19-2010, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

When you say "from other video files" are you talking things like MKV? That could be interesting I suppose. You've mentioned tech from nVidia so far. Will you be supporting ATI's upcoming 3d tech, as well? The reason I'm not jazzed about nVidia's stuff (besides the fact that I shelled out a lot of money for the 5870 recently) is that nVidia doesn't do bitstreaming. And I see no indication that the Fermi cards are going to do it, either. A 3d laptop would be an interesting toy, though. I'm not yet sure if I'm going to be in the market for a new laptop this year or not. I have to wait and see on that one.

I don't know if I've seen a 3D clip in an MKV container... but it's possible. Typically they are in MP4 (H.264) or WMV format. There are 2 classes of 3D clips... compressed formats, where 3D video is squeezed into a standard video format, and dual stream, where the video for the left eye and the right eye are a full quality video. Expect dual stream 3D clips to be encoded as MVC (Multi-View Codec, a stereoscopic version of AVC, H.264). With a compressed format like "side by side", the picture for the left eye is squeezed into the left half of a standard video frame, and the picture for the right eye is in the right half. PowerDVD extracts both pictures from the frame, stretches them horizontally, and displays the 3D video through your 3D display system... whatever it may be.

Tom
Cyberlink
post #87 of 1609 Old 03-19-2010, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't know if I've seen a 3D clip in an MKV container... but it's possible. Typically they are in MP4 (H.264) or WMV format. There are 2 classes of 3D clips... compressed formats, where 3D video is squeezed into a standard video format, and dual stream, where the video for the left eye and the right eye are a full quality video. Expect dual stream 3D clips to be encoded as MVC (Multi-View Codec, a stereoscopic version of AVC, H.264). With a compressed format like "side by side", the picture for the left eye is squeezed into the left half of a standard video frame, and the picture for the right eye is in the right half. PowerDVD extracts both pictures from the frame, stretches them horizontally, and displays the 3D video through your 3D display system... whatever it may be.

Tom
Cyberlink

Fascinating. That's some great information. Thanks!!
post #88 of 1609 Old 03-19-2010, 10:33 AM

Great to see Cyberlink in the forum. My question is has there been any movment on bumping DTS-HD Master Audio up to 7.1 channel in the new version of PowerDVD or is it still limited to 5.1 channel? The new 3D functionality is great but not supported yet by any Blu-Rays on the market, where as 7.1 channel DTS-HD MA audio is....

Or is there a technical reason I missed that this has not been included in the past and wont be inclused in the future?
post #89 of 1609 Old 03-19-2010, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

According to the website it still only supports 5.1. My guess is there hasn't been any change to the audio codecs between PDVD9 and 10. I guess this is another argument in the case FOR bitstreaming.
post #90 of 1609 Old 03-19-2010, 11:06 AM

Quote:

Thanks, maybe i had a dream in wanting a single program !!
but i would like CyberlinkUsa to answer to my other question as well about H264 and 3 party
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page