AVS Forum banner

* Official * Cyberlink PowerDVD 10 Ultra thread

295K views 2K replies 291 participants last post by  Tanquen 
#1 ·
Cyberlink is pleased to announce the availability of PowerDVD 10 Ultra . PowerDVD 10 ushers in the era of high quality 3D video in the home, with support for a full range of 3D Video formats and display systems, including dual-stream sequential frame. PowerDVD 10 supports all available 3D display hardware, with hardware accelerated dual-stream MVC decoding available on the latest graphics hardware.

PowerDVD 10 is designed to be a Universal Video player, with the highest possible video decoding and playback performance on any hardware platform. In addition to all of the previously supported video formats (WMV, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, AVC (H.264), DV, HDV, AVCHD), PowerDVD 10 adds support for MKV, Flash (H.264 only), DivX and Real video. PowerDVD is also a universal music player, with a great new user interface that allows you to quickly find and enjoy your media (including support for Windows 7 Libraries).

PowerDVD 10 adds several options, giving videophiles the most powerful video enhancement tools available anywhere.

* TrueTheater HD - upsamples SD video

* TrueTheater Lighting - improves color, contrast and brightness

* TrueTheater Motion - eliminates motion judder when playing 24P content on a 60 Hz display

* TrueTheater Noise Reduction - reduce noise caused by high video gain or compression artifacts

* TrueTheater Stabilizer - image stabilization improves home movies shot from small handheld cameras

* TrueTheater 3D - adds depth to DVDs in real-time

PowerDVD 10 Ultra customers will get a free upgrade to PowerDVD 10 Mark II, which will offer full support for Blu-ray 3D. Mark II will be available when Blu-ray 3D titles are launched, later in the spring or early summer.

We have been meeting with the press, and showing them demos of the amazing 3D quality available with PowerDVD 10. This really has to be seen to be appreciated.

I'll be around to answer questions and engage in constructive conversation.

Tom

Cyberlink

See less See more
#4 ·
MKV
  • Splitter: CyberLink Matroska Splitter(PDVD10)
  • Video Decoder:
    • H.264: CyberLink Video Decoder (PDVD10)
    • VC-1: The decoder Windows prefers (the reason why CyberLink Video Decoder is not used: heavy stuttering )
    • MPEG-2: CyberLink Video Decoder (PDVD10)
  • Audio Decoder: CyberLink Audio Decoder (PDVD10)

The supported audio formats by CyberLink Matroska Splitter (CLMKVSplter.ax), a new addition to PowerDVD 10, are limited to DD, DTS, AAC, MP3 etc., all lossy; it does not support any losselss HD audio track (FLAC, LPCM, TrueHD, DTS-HD [core DTS only]). If a file does not have a lossy audio track (except for DTS-HD), you won't hear any sound. This is worse than PowerDVD 9 that could support at least FLAC ( this post ). Here is the filter graph when a MKV file with a TrueHD audio track is played back in PowerDVD 10 Ultra; there is no audio pin from the splitter.

TS/M2TS
  • Splitter: Cyberlink Demuxer 2.0
  • Video Decoder: CyberLink Video Decoder (PDVD10) for all three HD video formats
  • Audio Decoder: CyberLink Audio Decoder (PDVD10)

You will get TrueHD/DTS-HD/LPCM (subject to Windows Audio Engine even for 24 bit/48 kHz). However you can't select an audio track, the primary audio track is always selected and played back.

#5 ·
Thanks renethx. That's exactly the info I've been trying to find. They said new support for MKV but I couldn't find exactly what that meant. I was hoping it meant that it'd at least decode HD audio formats to LPCM and maybe subtitle support. Can you select which audio and subtitle track with MKV's? I've been trying to find any real reason why this is a worthwhile upgrade. (Please don't take that the wrong way, Tom. I'm not trying to be critical...I just don't see the value it would add to my own personal environment at this time. Certainly not worth the 60 bucks to upgrade over PDVD9.) The 3d stuff doesn't interest me. Is MoovieLive still obnoxious and forced upon people who don't want it? If you can completely turn it off that'd at least be an improvement.

#7 ·
That's the thing I don't get. We have a perfectly good freeware MKV solution that can BITSTREAM the audio, yet, they're prevented from adding any kind of useful support for MKV in their brand new player?
That'd be a decent reason to upgrade if it could do that. But, no. sigh.

#9 ·
Just dled the trial and have ONE BIG issue:

The new PowerDVD will not run on my system. It gives me a crptic error that my resolution is not supported. As I recall the old versions did run fine (can't verify that). BTW: I have a three screen setup:

Monitor 1: 1200x1600

Monitor 2: 2560x1600

Monitor 3: 1200x1600

I am trying to run the program on my primary monitor (Mon 2) on an nVidia GTX 280.

Also does anyone know if the program now finally supports nVidia dualstream? I never got this to work with early builds of 9 on an nVidia 9800GT and as they had dropped HD-DVD support I dropped PowerDVD.

Looks like there isn't much improvement with 10 as now they have full NO STREAM support!

#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Lord /forum/post/18330956

Just dled the trial and have ONE BIG issue:

The new PowerDVD will not run on my system. It gives me a crptic error that my resolution is not supported. As I recall the old versions did run fine (can't verify that). BTW: I have a three screen setup:

Monitor 1: 1200x1600

Monitor 2: 2560x1600

Monitor 3: 1200x1600

I am trying to run the program on my primary monitor (Mon 2) on an nVidia GTX 280.

Hi Shadow Lord,

I'll ask the team to replicate your very impressive setup to get to the bottom of this.

Tom

Cyberlink

#11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjoy064 /forum/post/18330952

Tom! is MKV HD Audio support being looked into?

i'd certainly look into something that is like a all in one format.

I'll have a chat with our product managers and R&D group about this. To be clear, what you are asking for is bitstreaming of undecoded HD audio through HDMI, rather than simply demuxing and decoding the MKV locally.

Tom

Cyberlink

#12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberlinkUSA /forum/post/18331229

I'll have a chat with our product managers and R&D group about this. To be clear, what you are asking for is bitstreaming of undecoded HD audio through HDMI, rather than simply demuxing and decoding the MKV locally.

Tom

Cyberlink

Ideally bitstreaming of HD audio through HDMI in an MKV container would be extremely nice. Barring that, the next best thing would be to at least have PCM decoding of the HD audio in an MKV container. I hope I'm not stepping on the OP's toes with this reply, but, that's what I'd like to see happen. That'd give me a reason to upgrade.

#13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL /forum/post/18331240

Ideally bitstreaming of HD audio through HDMI in an MKV container would be extremely nice. Barring that, the next best thing would be to at least have PCM decoding of the HD audio in an MKV container. I hope I'm not stepping on the OP's toes with this reply, but, that's what I'd like to see happen. That'd give me a reason to upgrade.

All good... thanks Sam

#14 ·
Tom, can you elaborate on subtitle support in MKV's? Does it support them? Does it allow you to select the tracks inside the MKV that you want to play, if, for example there are multiple subtitle and/or audio tracks?

#19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry J /forum/post/18332360

The video goes black everytime I FF or RR playing blu-ray. I haven't tried it on a regular DVD. I hope that isn't normal, so why is it doing this ? It is moving, just cannot see the video.

Other than that, everything seem to work OK.

Hi Larry,

Can you post your system configuration details?

The OS version, graphics card model, and graphics driver version are the most important details.

Tom

Cyberlink

#20 ·
Is the Nvidia GT 240 supported for TrueTheater HD? I see the GT 100's are.

"Note: To support NVIDIA CUDA optimization for TrueTheater HD technology, make sure your system meets the following requirements.

Multiprocessor: 4 or above

Graphic Card: GeForce 9500 GT, GeForce 9600 GT, GeForce 9600 GSO, GeForce 9800 GT, GeForce 9800 GTX, GeForce 9800 GTX+, GeForce 9800 GX2, GeForce G100, GeForce GT 120, GeForce GT 130, GeForce GTS 150, GeForce GTS 250, GeForce GTX 260, GeForce GTX 275, GeForce GTX 280, GeForce GTX 285, GeForce GTX 295, GeForce 9600M GT, GeForce 9650M GS, GeForce 9700M GT, GeForce 9700M GTS, GeForce 9800M GS, GeForce 9800M GTS, GeForce 9800M GT, GeForce 9800M GTX, GeForce G102M, GeForce G105M, GeForce G110M, GeForce GT 130M, GeForce GTS 150M, GeForce GTS 160M, GeForce GTX 260M, GeForce GTX 280M. "

#21 ·
XP SP3,cata.10.2,HD 4770,latest DirectX

Tom,the good news first:

-excessive RAM usage is gone

-very reactive,loads in a blink

PROBLEMS:

- STILL EXPANDS ! Is it really impossible to address this issue once for all ? My reference build is .2201 along with Catalyst 10.2.This is the last build that gives me 16-235.

It is to be noted that:powerdvd 7.3 .5711,TMT3 .170 DO NOT show this dreadful expansion problem...

- playing .mkv doesn't work

#22 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickcfer /forum/post/18333227

Is the Nvidia GT 240 supported for TrueTheater HD? I see the GT 100's are.

"Note: To support NVIDIA CUDA optimization for TrueTheater HD technology, make sure your system meets the following requirements.

•Multiprocessor: 4 or above

Yes, the GT 240 supports CUDA accelerated TTHD. I'll ask our web team to update the list.

The GT 240 is an excellent choice for PowerDVD 10, as it features the latest VP4 video decoder, capable of Blu-ray 3D MVC decoding (found only in the GT 210/220/240 for now).

Tom

Cyberlink

#23 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludvig /forum/post/18333516

XP SP3,cata.10.2,HD 4770,latest DirectX

Tom,the good news first:

-excessive RAM usage is gone

-very reactive,loads in a blink

PROBLEMS:

- STILL EXPANDS ! Is it really impossible to address this issue once for all ? My reference build is .2201 along with Catalyst 10.2.This is the last build that gives me 16-235.

It is to be noted that:powerdvd 7.3 .5711,TMT3 .170 DO NOT show this dreadful expansion problem...

- playing .mkv doesn't work

Expansion per se is not likely your problem, but consistency. What have you set your pixel format at? RGB Full, RGB Limited? YCbCr? Also, if your inconsistency is with other programs like MC, or other content like DVD, there are registry hacks that you can try.

#24 ·
Our engineers implemented MKV support according to the specification...
http://matroska.org/technical/specs/codecid/index.html

DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD are not defined as valid audio codecs. This is a bit of a problem. We like to implement things according to industry specs so that we don't have to constantly adapt to every other implementer's guess as to how to define these codecs in the container. If anyone has any advice on how to determine this ad-hoc spec, please let me know.

Tom

Cyberlink

#25 ·
Thanks for looking into that, Tom! That might take some investigation to figure out how mkvmerge is adding the HD audio codecs. That's what a lot of us are using to make ours with HD audio.

#26 ·
Ok, quick question here:

So besides the 3D stuff and MKV support (which I get from Media Browser anyway) what exactly is new or "better" in 10 for just Bluray and DVD playback.

I'm looking for more then just the comparison on the web site, most of which seem to be for upconverting DVDs which I could care less about.

Is there anything in 10 that is worth upgrading over 9?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.