Help! DVI+HDMI output in clone mode on HD5670 doesn't work - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 03-21-2010, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This is driving me nuts. Please help.

After I installed a new HD5670, I connected it to my AV receiver (Yamaha RX-V765) via HDMI and then another HDMI from the receiver goes to the TV (Panasonic 46PZ80B). Receiver handles audio, TV shows picture, HDMI is set to passthrough in the receiver so that even with the receiver off (standby) the TV shows picture.

Now, when I want to listen to radio I can't use the computer at the same time because the video signal from the receiver to the TV goes to black. Same for all the other audio sources.

So, to solve this, even though it's not the most convenient solution, I thought of using the DVI output from the HD5670 with a DVI-HDMI cable connected directly to the TV. Then set it up as clone display.

This does not work the first time you set it up for some reason (it shows an empty desktop on the second display, as if it's extending the desktop rather than cloning it) but works after a reboot. Yet, if I switch twice from HDMI1 to HDMI2 on my TV, then it doesn't work again (showing the empty desktop again).

Tried playing with the settings many times but unsuccessfully.
Any ideas please?

PS. The ATI drivers don't distinguish between the two displays in clone mode, there's no primary/secondary, they are just two branches in the same hierarchy (both identified as "1").
I tried disabling (and disconnecting) the HDMI so then the DVI was the only kid in town, then plugging and enabling the HDMI, first setting it as extended with a clear subordinate role (identified as "2") and then setting it as cloned, hoping that internally it would be the second display. And now, DVI shows desktop as normal and the amp shows the little red "HDMI" indication, and sound works, but video doesn't show on the DVI output, and when I switch to HDMI2 on the TV (i.e. the input from the receiver), then the receiver seems to lose the connection to the PC (!). The red "HDMI" indication disappears, and the TV shows a black screen, and audio stops too.
How can it be so difficult?
And worst of all, this scores about -500 WAF points. We had a working system and now that I upgraded everything to have HD-audio, it seems we have nothing!
Help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 03-21-2010, 10:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
interesting, I've scratched my head many a times trying to figure out clone mode to no avail. It used to work way back when with Windows98 if I'm not mistaken but not in Windows7 x64 and if my memory serves me correct not in Vista x64 either.

I'm upgrading from a 2600xt to a 5670 soon and it looks like it's still not working correctly. I was hoping it would work in acquiring a 1080p tv and a 1080p monitor thinking it had something to do as not being able to run different resolutions on the monitor and tv. Oh well, guess we'd have to run an extended desktop but I have a problem with that as my computer and tv are not in the same room.
post #3 of 14 Old 03-21-2010, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by airmark View Post

After I installed a new HD5670, I connected it to my AV receiver (Yamaha RX-V765) via HDMI and then another HDMI from the receiver goes to the TV (Panasonic 46PZ80B). Receiver handles audio, TV shows picture, HDMI is set to passthrough in the receiver so that even with the receiver off (standby) the TV shows picture.

So, to solve this, even though it's not the most convenient solution, I thought of using the DVI output from the HD5670 with a DVI-HDMI cable connected directly to the TV. Then set it up as clone display.

I have it setup exactly as you have:
Win7 x32
HD5750 - HDMI => Onkyo SR876 => TV In1
HD5750 - DVI-HDMI adapter => TV In2

Clone mode works fine.

The only difference in my setup (other than the equipment), I use a DVI-HDMI adapter and then use a regular HDMI cable.
It shouldn't make a difference, but what the heck; give it a shot and see if that works.
post #4 of 14 Old 03-21-2010, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Could it be an HDCP issue? I know that my GT240 says that HDCP is not possible in clone mode.
post #5 of 14 Old 03-21-2010, 04:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
A couple of considerations;
1. Clone mode always sends the resolution of the designated display to the secondary display regardless of what resolution you have set for the secondary display.
2. When the second disply shows as an empty desktop as if it was in extended desktop mode instead of in clone mode. Can you move items to it from the primary display since if you can then it show that it is actualy in extended desktop mode.
3. When listening to the radio there is no video handshake occuring between source and video destination do the PC addumes that the connection is not there and stops outputting both video and audio.

Do you actually have two displays or only one the TV?
If not then it appears that EDID data you get from the receivers is the same as that you get from the TV and the card drivers think that there is only one display.
Also if not then I don't think you should have both the PC and the Receiver connected to the TV concurently.
post #6 of 14 Old 03-21-2010, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirent View Post

I have it setup exactly as you have:
Win7 x32
HD5750 - HDMI => Onkyo SR876 => TV In1
HD5750 - DVI-HDMI adapter => TV In2

Clone mode works fine.

The only difference in my setup (other than the equipment), I use a DVI-HDMI adapter and then use a regular HDMI cable.
It shouldn't make a difference, but what the heck; give it a shot and see if that works.

I have a suspicion that the biggest difference is actually the OS (32bit vs 64bit, which means different drivers).
post #7 of 14 Old 03-21-2010, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitbrit View Post

Could it be an HDCP issue? I know that my GT240 says that HDCP is not possible in clone mode.

Doubt it because each individual connection works the first time I enable it and disable the other one, the problem is that the connection drops if I have both enabled and switch back and forth.
post #8 of 14 Old 03-21-2010, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford View Post

A couple of considerations;
1. Clone mode always sends the resolution of the designated display to the secondary display regardless of what resolution you have set for the secondary display.
2. When the second disply shows as an empty desktop as if it was in extended desktop mode instead of in clone mode. Can you move items to it from the primary display since if you can then it show that it is actualy in extended desktop mode.
3. When listening to the radio there is no video handshake occuring between source and video destination do the PC addumes that the connection is not there and stops outputting both video and audio

Do you actually have two displays or only one the TV?
If not then it appears that EDID data you get from the receivers is the same as that you get from the TV and the card drivers think that there is only one display.

1. it's the same resolution in both cases (1080p) anyway.
2. Correct. it's as if I had a second monitor on the right of the first one.
3. It's either that (in which case it's a card's driver's issue) or that the receiver thinks that because I switched to a different source, I don't want to have the first one active and passing-through to the TV, in which case it's the receiver's issue. Problem is I have tried all the settings in both and I can't find a solution.

It's the same TV btw. What I'm trying to establish is to have the PC video on the TV regardless of the the audio source on the receiver.

The "solution" I've found so far is to have the DVI enabled, and the HDMI disabled, and use the onboard sound (connected to the receiver via SPDIF). Then when and if I want to watch a bluray with HD-audio, I disable the DVI connection, enable the HDMI one and play the movie. After the movie, I switch back. Far from optimal solution though, so I'm still looking for a proper one.
post #9 of 14 Old 03-22-2010, 07:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

You should be able to always have the TV HDMI connection enabled and have the TV use only it. This will alwaays provide audio and video to the TV. Then have the SPIF connection to the Receiver and this will insure that audio is always being sent to the receiver while both video and audio are going over HDMI to the TV concurently.
This is the setup I have from Cable STB to my TV and my HTIB sound system. This way I can use either the TV or the HTIB for sound and never worry about the video.
post #10 of 14 Old 03-22-2010, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford View Post

Then have the SPIF connection to the Receiver and this will insure that audio is always being sent to the receiver while both video and audio are going over HDMI to the TV concurently.

SPDIF would be useless for HD audio, which I believe, is what OP wants.
post #11 of 14 Old 03-22-2010, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirent View Post

SPDIF would be useless for HD audio, which I believe, is what OP wants.

exactly, I was going to reply explaining this.
As I said above, I have a similar setup now and only enable the HDMI output for a movie with hd audio, but i want it on a more permanent and stable basis.
post #12 of 14 Old 03-22-2010, 11:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Valid point.
In any case it appears that his PC is getting confused and actually chaning which port it ouputs on during the boot process since both ports are connected to the same TV. So unless he can output to the receiver over HDMI wihtout the receiver also being connected to the TV I am not sure what the right solution is.
post #13 of 14 Old 03-22-2010, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airmark View Post

exactly, I was going to reply explaining this.
As I said above, I have a similar setup now and only enable the HDMI output for a movie with hd audio, but i want it on a more permanent and stable basis.

In your first post you mentioned receiver is set to 'Passthrough'.
Have you tried not setting it to 'Passthrough' to see if that works?
post #14 of 14 Old 03-22-2010, 03:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Just realized if the TV is set to passthrough and it does this when the Receiver is "off" then do you have separate cable going from the PC to the Receiver. Won't the receiver pick off the sound when it is on in addition to passin through the entire HDMI signal?
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page