Need advice to bitstream DTS-HD MA from .mkv w/MPC-HC - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Video Components > Home Theater Computers > Need advice to bitstream DTS-HD MA from .mkv w/MPC-HC

Home Theater Computers

StanVanDam's Avatar StanVanDam
10:30 AM Liked: 10
post #1 of 5
03-22-2010 | Posts: 9
Is anyone out there able to bitstream DTS-HD MA to a receiver from .mkv files using Windows XP and an ATI 5xxx card? I would appreciate if you could share some ideas for troubleshooting my software configuration.

Using a fresh install of WinXP SP3, I am not able to get MPC-HC to bitstream DTS-HD MA to my Onkyo TX-SR606 receiver. Normal DTS .mkv files and the DTS core of the DTS-HD MA .mkv files can bitstream just fine.

I've tried adjusting the hardware audio acceleration settings, trying both the ffdshow DTS libdts and libavcodec codecs, checking/unchecking Connecting as PCM first, trying MPC-HC's audio output to either ATI Rear HD and DirectSound, etc.

I have not tried the EDID override yet, because Tulli's post states "checking DTS HD bitstreaming is a first test to make sure that the installation is OK".

OS Version: Windows XP SP3 32bit
CPU/Motherboard: AMD Athlon 64 3200+
RAM: 2GB
Boot/Media Drive Configuration: IDE hard drive
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon 5670 (HDMI-out to Onkyo TX-SR606 HDMI1 input @ 24Hz, extended monitor VGA-out to Viewsonic PF775 @ 85Hz)
Video Driver: Sapphire 5670 CD used for initial driver installation, then updated manually to Catalyst 10.2
Audio Driver: ATI HDMI Audio 10.2
Video Settings: ITC-processing enabled, GPU scaling disabled, Automatic Deinterlacing enabled, Pulldown Detection disabled, Dynamic Range disabled, Smooth Video Playback enabled,
Media Interface: none
Media Player: mpc-homecinema.1.3.1752.0.x86.zip
Additional Software: Latest DirectX updates using dxwebsetup.exe; ffdshow_rev3316_20100312_clsid.exe; http://haali.su/mkv/MatroskaSplitter.exe
AVR Model: Onkyo TX-SR606
Display/Projector Model: Pioneer Elite KURO PRO-111FD connected to HDMI-out of the Onkyo TX-SR606
EDID Override: No

Media Player: mpc-homecinema.1.3.1752.0.x86.zip
Video Settings:
- Overlay Renderer
Audio Settings
- Output to: ATI HDMI Rear Output

External Filters:
- ffdshow (Prefer)

Experimentation/Results: DTS-HD MA does not bitstream. AVR switches to multichannel LPCM and outputs loud static. When outputting to Directsound instead of ATI HDMI Rear Output, loud static occurs. If Audio Acceleration is then set to lowest level, DTS Core is bitstreamed to the receiver.

When blocking external filter ffdshow and using MPC-HC's DTS decoder (set to output to SPDIF), Normal DTS .mkvs bitstream fine and DTS Core of DTS-HD MA .mkvs bitstreams fine.

In all cases, whenever something uses the sound channel, the channel stays open until another audio source is used, or unless the audio is muted and then unmuted. I believe this is related to the silent stream bug.

Will try Realtek HDMI driver and experiment. If that fails, I'll install Windows 7 from scratch and follow Damian's guide.
jrwalte's Avatar jrwalte
11:15 AM Liked: 11
post #2 of 5
03-22-2010 | Posts: 2,537
Check out this thread and search for MPC-HC or FFDShow.

People in that thread have gotten DTS-MA and TrueHD working in MPC-HC with a beta build of FFDShow. Although I just noticed you have XP. I believe people who got this working were all using Win7.
dbone1026's Avatar dbone1026
12:32 PM Liked: 71
post #3 of 5
03-22-2010 | Posts: 11,335
I don't know if this applies to XP, but here is my guide on how to set up Bitstreaming:

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2010...7-htpc-part-i/

I have an Onkyo 906, and used Tulli's EDID override. I would also suggest uninstalling Haali as it may cause conflict with MPC.
StanVanDam's Avatar StanVanDam
09:11 PM Liked: 10
post #4 of 5
03-22-2010 | Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

I don't know if this applies to XP, but here is my guide on how to set up Bitstreaming:

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2010...7-htpc-part-i/

I have an Onkyo 906, and used Tulli's EDID override. I would also suggest uninstalling Haali as it may cause conflict with MPC.

Reformatted with Windows 7 Ultimate x86, followed your guide exactly, receiver now receives DTS-HD MA signal.

Using EVR seems to work the best for 23.976fps playback.

However, I'm still figuring out how to get subtitles to work while maintaining perfect video playback. VMR7 renderless and VMR9 renderless cause high CPU usage and video stuttering, which is probably due to either no DXVA, the use of ffdshow, or both.
SimplexPL's Avatar SimplexPL
04:14 AM Liked: 10
post #5 of 5
05-10-2010 | Posts: 8
Hello,

Sorry for bumping an old thread (I got here by googling "bitstream dts core").
I am interested in bitstreaming the DTS core track of DTS-MA over SPDIF. Unfortunately, the guides mentioned here focus on bitstreaming DTS-MA track (not DTS core track) over HDMI (not SPDIF). Is there perhaps a guide that focuses on getting the DTS core inside DTS-MA bitstreamed over SPDIF?
I tried with ffdshow, but when I enable spdif passthrough, then it attempts to bistream MA track (and fails), not the core track.

In January I wrote a post on ffdshow tryouts forums describing the problem:
http://ffdshow-tryout.sourceforge.ne...pic.php?t=1345
Reply Home Theater Computers

Subscribe to this Thread